In The 'Weight Loss Scales' – All Menopausal Women Are Not Equal

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
In The 'Weight Loss Scales' – All Menopausal Women Are Not Equal

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lovingit 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Hello All ‘Ladies of a Certain Age’

I started my 5:2 diet around ten weeks ago now – I’ve actually lost around 9lbs and I am delighted!
    And also still a bit incredulous.

I realise that this might not sound much to other 5:2 dieters but I think it will to my particular group.

I’m stating (again) however that even in our specific group: we are ‘not all equal’ because some other L.O.A.C.A’s are losing 2lbs a week and I was going to say ‘making it look easy’ but if you read the amount of exercise Annette52 puts in; no one could say she has achieved her impressive weight/shape reduction
    ‘easily’ (She’s probably out dancing at this very minute in her little black frock…).

I don’t do loads of exercise but enjoy a brisk walk every day for around 40mins-1 hour but I’ve done something to my foot and I’ve had to stop walking until it abates. This is really frustrating-I haven’t even injured it and yet suddenly my foot is taking an exception to walking. I really dislike swimming so doing that instead is out. Also if you have an underactive thyroid exercising is usually not invigorating – it usually makes you feel drained of energy.

The point I’m trying to make here is that even with something like exercise we can’t all achieve the same results. Annette52 (I hope you don’t mind me using you as a shining example?) took up running after hitting the Big 50 and yet I’m having to stop something as simple/gentle as going for a walk until my foot is considerably better.

I’m sorry if this is coming across as MOAN, MOAN, MOAN when my post is celebratory but I cannot ever see the point in not telling it like it is: then if any other L.O.A.C.A out there is experiencing the same, they might feel a bit better about their slower 5:2 journey.

I’ve decided the best thing is not to compare myself with other L.O.A.C.A’s and just concentrate on me, my sadly unbalanced hormones and my capabilities regarding what I can and can’t do exercise wise.

Having said all that; me and my husband are chuffed to little mint balls (it’s a British thing).
    I mean, my weight has only gone in one direction for years despite much effort on my part and I’m losing weight (slowly) whilst still eating what I usually do on non-fast days, fasting and having (and very much enjoying) wine with our weekend meals!

Roll on Friday!

Hi PreciousBoBoo, well done at losing 9lbs and sorry to hear about your foot problems.

I too am a LOACA, just hitting the menopause and unable to exercise much due to a dodgy hip/back combo. The hip thing combined with work travel have contrbuted to weight gain in recent years and it is sooo hard to lose.

However, I am now 3 weeks in to 5:2, 5.5 lbs lighter (not had 3rd week weigh in yet as I am in Sweden for work) and feeling positive.

Because of lack of exercise I don’t expect a rapid weight loss after the initial giddy few weeks, but feel that I am in this for the long haul. And I have finally booked my hip replacement operation for January so any weight I can lose between now and then can only be beneficial. Not too bothered about speed of loss – just want to know it is going in the right direction.

Keep me posted about your progress 🙂

Hello Cathyork

Thanks for your response. Considering you too are a LOACA; that is a really impressive start! And I think you are wise to consider this dieting regime a long haul ‘way of life’ as opposed to the usual diets; where you go back to ‘normal’ eating after you lose some weight.

It will be a considerable help in your healing process, not to mention the anaesthetic issue, if you are at a leaner weight when you have your operation in January. And remember most likely you will be improving your health in all the other ways that are cited; which again, when about to have fairly major surgery, can only be a positive.

Let us know how your weight loss has gone when you next get weighed.

Well done, PreciousBooBoo and Cathyork. Are you both still losing weight and keeping it off?

I’m definitely a LOACA and I’m going through quite a difficult time with the FD at the moment. I’ve been doing the FD since April 2013 and it’s been a rocky road. I’ve lost weight, put it back on, lost weight, plateaued etc week on week and I’m really struggling to keep going with it over the last week or so. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I eat healthily, exercise regularly and am not massively overweight, but I’ve put weight on around my middle since the menopause and really wanted to lose around 1 stone. I’m also keen on the other possible health benefits of the FD.

At my best (early Nov 2013)I’d lost just over 1 stone, albeit via the proverbial rocky road, and no doubt helped by moving house in between which was really stressful. Nevertheless, I was really pleased with myself. Then the weight loss stalled and, despite sticking rigidly to the FD and not over eating on the other days, exercising etc as normal, I put on 6lbs in a month!! Since then I’ve managed to lose a couple of pounds, but have got stuck again :o(

Hello! What I began telling myself just this morning, was that my body just happens to be excellent at maintaining the status quo at the moment. If we were in the woods, hundreds of years ago, without food, we would probably be the ones to survive! We need to look at our bodies as incredibly efficient machines who would kick butt in a survival situation. I began thanking my body for being so good at that in the shower, but gently telling it it is time to let go. I was in control and the fat wasn’t helping me anymore! Lol I know I must sound crazy, but I am tired of expecting something from myself as if I still had my twenty year old body. I think women at our age, or LOACA, need to appreciate the incredible things our bodies have done for us and ease up a bit. So, @preciousbooboo, I am with you!

Hello Lulu01 and Heidihutch

I am so sorry to be so long in responding to your posts; I thought this thread was buried in the depths of the fast diet forum and therefore no longer had the ‘notify me’ button on. I always think the least someone can do is reply to someone who has bothered to respond to their post.

So Lulu01 – You will find more about my fast diet history on the ‘Ladies of a Certain Age’ thread. I’ve been on the fast diet since late June 2013 and I’ve lost 1st 3 1/2 lbs. As you can see, it’s been very slow and usually seems to show up in a chunk on the scales after weeks of no movement. But I suppose it’s always been going in a downward trend (sometimes only 2 ounces a week! or plain nil point) and I’ve only put on weight if I’ve been on holiday or Xmas naturally.
    I can’t really think why you have stalled; is there any chance you have an underactive thyroid? This usually makes losing weight nigh on impossible.
    If you don’t get anyone else responding to you on this thread try the LOACA thread because you have a ‘captive’ audience there; who are very helpful.
    You must feel disheartened especially when you are sticking to it rigidly.
    Has anything changed for you in the ensuing weeks since you posted this?

Hello heidihutch – Yes we definitely have to make allowances for our scrambled hormones and lowered metabolisms. I know you’ve been on the LOACA thread so you will probably have read about all the different experiences of those who post there. Because I’ve lost just over a stone now; it actually feels as if I’ve lost weight and I have just accepted that my weight loss is incredibly slow even compared to many other LOACA’s.
    I still have my foot problem so my exercise efforts have gone right down too; I’m averaging one decent walk a week compared to every single day religiously.
    Having said I really sympathise with Lulu01 above who is having a hard time of it.

Onwards and downwards!

Thanks for your reply, PreciousBooBoo. I’ve been reading the Ladies of a certain age thread, but it gets very busy and it’s difficult to keep up! Well done on losing 1st 3.5lbs and that your weight has mainly been heading on down.

My thyroid is below where it should be, and has been for some years, but not enough for the medics to do anything about it. I’ll try and pluck up the courage to put something on the LOACA thread!

I lost a little after my post above, but had since put it back on again. I try to focus on the fact that overall I’ve just about lost a stone. My goal is 1st 4lbs. I do find if I don’t do 2 days a week, whatever I’ve lost goes back on. All a bit mystifying really!

Hello Lulu01 – Why don’t you just paste your above post straight over to the LOACA thread?

You are right, it has been very busy but this has lessened now and anyway, I’m still sure that if someone has some appropriate advice for you, they will take the time to give it.

You could get hold of a book called ‘The Riddle of Illness’ by Dr Stephen Langer (Amazon had it last time I checked, though I was also able to reserve it from the library). It’s all about suffering from an underactive thyroid and it is mind-blowing how many thousands (I think millions would be more accurate) of people all over the world are suffering from this hugley debilitating condition.
    It explains in a very user-friendly way; how difficult it is to lose weight if this is your problem. It also, very frighteningly, explains all the serious illnessess/conditions you can develop if it continues long-term.

Having said all that Lulu01, you’ve only got 4lb more to lose; so it could have something to do with having so little to lose? You know like the last few pounds being the hardest to shift?
    Let us know if you get hold of the book; it’s all information for anyone else reading this and thinking that sounds like me.

Onwards and Downwards!

Hi PreciousBooBoo and thanks for your post. I’ve also seen your post on the LOACA thread and will reply to that separately. I’ve ordered the Langer book through my library. I think I’ve read something similar a while back and went to see my GP afterwards – she’s a lovely doctor, but was very dismissive of it all!! I think they take it more seriously in the US.

When I say I’ve ‘just about lost a stone’, I’m trying to be positive and have my fingers crossed :o) I’m around 2lbs shy of a stone. I think you’re right re the last few pounds are the hardest.

Onwards and downwards indeed!!

Hi Again(!) Lulu01

I am pleased you are getting a copy of the book from the library; I’ve just been refreshing my memory on Amazon and it’s every bit as good as I remembered.
    Better in fact.

You should have seen my face when I read about your ‘lovely’ doctor’s dimissive attitude! There are some great G.P’s out there; I just haven’t met any of them. I once, as a young girl suffering from the most dreadful 3 week long PMT, had another young woman (my G.P at the time) tell me to ‘stop reading books’ when I had mentioned some factor that might have helped me.

Some of them talk ‘at you’ if as there is only one educated person in the room (and it’s not you) and it drives me mad; since I go away usually no better off than when I went in but feeling ever so slightly like a hypochondriac.Dr Langer mentions exactly this type of
    treatment by other more ignorant health professionals.

I bet if your ‘lovely’ doctor’s thyroid was underactive and she was suffering; she wouldn’t be happy to just ‘live with it’.

On another occasion; I photocopied a list of all the symptoms I was experiencing and showed it to another female doctor and she just looked at it and then said nothing….
    I think I mentioned on another occasion the Barnes Basal Metabolic Rate and they looked at me as if I had just suggested some voodoo practice…..
    You are right; the doctor’s in the USA are way ahead of most of the medical profession here in Britain.

You may do nothing after you’ve read the book and you may do something; but either way you will be better informed…(than your G.P!).

Onwards and Downwards!

Morning PreciousBooBoo, and thanks for your post. My GP is genuinely very kind as a rule, which made her dismissal all the more jaw dropping. I was completely stumped as I hadn’t expected that response from her – other GP’s I’ve been registered with definitely, but not her!

I know what you mean about GP’s talking at you, particularly about things like PMT etc. I used to suffer terribly as a young girl/woman and, looking back, I was treated really, really badly. I can totally empathise with you about having 3 weeks of PMT. I often used to wonder if my GP had ever had one bad session of PMT or period problems as she was so dismissive. Mind you, some of my friends who sailed through PMT/periods every month were pretty uncaring too :o(

Good for you for mentioning BBMR, although I’m not surprised at the response you got. I tried that with another female GP and her response was the same. She told me to stop reading books written by quacks!

I’ll let you know when the book arrives!

Keeeeep fasting!

Hi Lulu01

How is it the fast dieting/weight loss going? Up? Down? Side to Side?

Ditto: on being treated horrendously by my G.P’s (throughout my life) re-suffering from PMS every month for three whole weeks at a time! And talking about ‘friends’/other females who were lucky enough to not suffer from it; well it didn’t exist did it?

I remember clearly one day my very best friend in the world (then….) said when we were discussing my PMS because she didn’t suffer from it at all….’Well it’s all in the mind isn’t it?’

I can remember clearly just how much this cut me to the quick; she was suggesting I ‘imagined’ feeling absolutely dreadful for three weeks at a time because……I was off my head? I was so desparate for attention that I made up conditions where I felt like was on another planet? And it wasn’t a good one.

Needless to say; she is no longer my friend but since then, I have encountered many women who, because they don’t suffer from PMS, also question that it exists. Their arrogance is astounding; because they have not experienced it, then it couldn’t possibly exist.

I can remember many years later talking to another woman one day about PMS and she told me a wonderful story; though not if you were her husband!!
    She was in the midst of her PMS and her husband came into the room and unfortunately she was heating up a large pan of oil prior to making chips……and yes, you’ve guessed correctly. She threw the pan of boiling chip fat at him! I was looking horror struck at this tale and said ‘What on earth did he say to you that caused you to throw a pan of boiling oil at him?’
    And she said…..’Hello’…..!!

Must be off now
    Onwards and Downwards!

omg HeidiHutch- i practically cried when i read this. thanking our bodies is such a powerful and foreign concept and i just love that you wrote this. our bodies are the most complex, often mysterious systems on the planet, and expectations need to match the reality. i watch wistfully as little lovelies jog by as I( nearly 49)stroll, but that is what I can do, and i do it 5 days a week for hour, with as many hills as i can. the hills get easier, the music keeps my mood up, and then i feel content. and having done 5:2 for some time now, my knees ache much less and i feel especially light when i walk on a fast day. to PBB, with a wounded wing, maybe some mat-based pilates or other ‘core’ work that will rest your foot, but keep you flexible and strong? i had a nasty case of plantar fasciitis last year that kept me down for a while, and it was more emotionally tough to skip the movement than i think on my bod. i totally get that. do what you can for your quickest recuperation 🙂 very curious about the BBMR, was just emailing my doc about some lab tests and will see what that is about~ when i do the math on the TDEE it seems too high to be what will keep me stable btw fast days as I go up 2-3 lbs always and then drop back down. i do weigh much too frequently though, a little obsessed with how each day’s input effects the numbers, but for me keeps me focused and i think that’s okay. We are all doing our Very Best!

Morning, PreciousBooBoo and thanks for your post. My weight has stalled … again! I keep getting down to the same weight with a combination of fasting and a week off from time to time, and then it just gets completely stuck at round about the same weight. It’s been three weeks and I haven’t budged an ounce despite doing the 5:2 regime religiously. In another post someone, Michael’s wife I think, suggested I do ADF for a few weeks but I’ve tried that before and found it unbearable; it’s just too much. I’ve tried to up the exercise but can only do so much due to health problems. I already do 3 x 1 hour sessions a week anyway. As you can probably tell … I’m feeling a bit down at the moment and struggling to stick with 2 days a week when it has no effect. How I long to be in the maintenance ‘zone’! How are you doing, and have you ever tried ADF?

I’m glad I wasn’t the husband of the woman you mentioned … heavens!

It’s sad how female ‘friends’ can be so unsupportive and caring of one another at times. I’m thankful I don’t have PMS anymore, but can empathise with you as it’s a horrible way to feel. Like you, I’ve been told ‘it’s all in the mind’ which is really upsetting when you’re struggling. I find it’s much the same now with the menopause. Some women have an horrendous time, whilst others seem to sail through it and they are often the one’s who (yet again!) say ‘it’s all in the mind’, or to coin what A female GP said to me a while back, ‘I don’t see what the problem is, it only lasts for a few months’. This to someone who is in her 5th (or 6th?) year of flushes which occur every 20 minutes throughout the day … every single day. Some of them last a one or two minutes and I hardly notice them now, others virtually bring me to my knees. Then there’s the anxiety attacks, the insomnia etc. I hardly recognise the person I’ve become.

Onwards … and stalling!

Hello Lulu01 and thintoartinCal

Hello also to you Heidi hutch – Are you still out there? Are you still trying to follow the fast diet? Let us know.

Hi thintoartinCal – thank you for the advice on what I could try exercise wise whilst I wait for my foot problem to be diagnosed. I agree with you on missing the exercise especially if it is something you enjoy and I don’t enjoy most types of exercise! But I do love to go for a nice brisk walk most days; so yes, it has been hard to have to seriously restrict myself on something so simple that the vast majority of us take totally for granted.
    I just realised that I started this thread in September 2013 and what I said still holds true for me and I suspect some other LOACA’s.

Try not to place too much emphasis on daily weighing; I agree it can keep you focused but it can also be a bit demoralising if it goes down and then up again! – it’s a thin line isn’t it….forgive the pun!

Hi Lulu01 – I’m sorry to hear that you’ve stalled again; you must be getting seriously annoyed. I totally understand you feeling a bit down too; I’m feeling a bit like that myself. Two days fasting (and all that it entails) can seem like a lot of hard work if there are no results to speak of.

Is there any chance that your clothes are slacker though? As in the thread ‘If your clothes are looser then read on?… I remember Annette52 (referred to in initial thread) saying she hadn’t lost on the scales but her calves measured less! I mean you wouldn’t look at yourself in the mirror and think ‘Oh my calves are looking/feeling smaller, would you?
    If I have the time (and at the moment I don’t; I just have enough to post as much as I am) I just read as many threads as I can and gain motivation from them; you don’t even have to post yourself to gain this vicarious motivation. I also used to look right back at the really old threads for the same reason.

I don’t blame you for not being keen on 4:3. No, I haven’t tried it unlike you but I do feel it would be undoable whilst trying to live a ‘normal’ existence.

We are in accord again about how some women, and more worryingly female G.P’s, can be so dismissive about something THEY have not (do not) suffered from or not experienced to the extent that you have.
    And you are spot on, to say that the menopause is in the same category.
    Fancy that female G.P extolling to you that menopause only ‘lasts for a few months!‘ I do sometimes wonder why many doctors actually studied to be doctors; it certainly doesn’t seem to have too much to do with ‘caring about other peoples suffering’.

Mind you, I will reiterate what I have already stated; there will be some very good and caring G.P’s out there…..
    I was about to post that I don’t suffer from PMS anymore but actually I do; I just don’t have the M part anymore. But the month is still divided into weeks where life trials and tribulations don’t get to me too much and then the next week the same set of issues can be seriously upsetting and derailing..…

Regarding mentioning anxiety attacks; please read about several books I have mentioned on THE LOACA thread particularly the Dr Peatfield one. Apple Crisp managed to get it from her library but Amazon has it quite cheaply at the moment. Most people would never associate anxiety with a physical problem/imbalance but it can be a HUGE cause.
    All the books I have mentioned would be well worth reading to increase your knowledge of what can be going on with you.

I read somewhere on this forum just the other day that a woman had her health problem properly diagnosed and felt validated that she ‘wasn’t going mad’. Lots of us women feel like that when the way we feel and the symptoms we are experiencing are diagnosed and a health ‘professional’ ‘acknowledges’ them.

I was about to end with ‘aren’t men lucky?’ Who would choose to be a woman?
    But lots of the poor dears have to live with us girlies whilst we endure feeling like we are on another not very nice planet! So actually I sympathise with them too!

So Lulu01 et al; as you say Keeeeeep Fasting!
    And I say; Onwards, downwards, struggling, stalling and side to side!

Hi PreciousBooBoo, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we’ve been away. How is your sore foot and how’s the FD going? I really hope you’ve lost something, even just a tiny little bit is enough to keep you motivated.

I had been in ‘stall’ mode for several weeks, but have put on 2.5lbs this week. This is partly through being away and not doing FD and also being fed up for the last couple of week with not losing weight and eating sweets on non fast days!! Now I’m even more fed up ;o)

The fit of my clothes did change in the early months of FD, mainly around the waistband of my jeans, but it hasn’t changed for months now. I should really have taken the time to measure myself before I started but forgot. Did you measure yourself, and can you feel a difference in your clothes?

I can totally relate to your comment that things sometimes get on top of you, and other times the same issues hardly bother you. I wonder if that’s down to meno hormones, or a throwback to the monthly cycle and PMS.

Thanks for the tip about anxiety books, including the Peatfield one. I’ll try and get hold of a copy. I’ve finally got the thyroid book from the library. It’s all very familiar so I’m wondering if it’s the same one I read some time ago. The old memory doesn’t work too well these days! Its certainly very similar to the one the GP said was a book written by ‘quacks’.

You’re absolutely spot on about the need for some kind of acknowledgement from health professionals about health problems. I think that’s common to most humans, but sadly lacking in doctors a lot of the time.

Your onwards, downwards, struggling, stalling and side to side sounds like dance moves! Keeeeeep fasting (do you watch Strictly Come Dancing?) …

Hi Lulu01

I thought you might have been giving the FD a bit of a break. I don’t blame you at all and you don’t really have a great deal to lose; so it’s not like other folk who have a lot to aim for.
    You’ve been away; it would be a crime not to enjoy yourself by eating and drinking whatever you like.
    But you do have all those other issues we have discussed to attempt to deal with and they may all, or some, be conspiring to prevent you losing weight properly anyway!

No, like you I didn’t measure myself. I didn’t want to confront the ugly truth but on reflection, at this point in time when the scales have paused indefinitely, it might have helped to keep up my motivation.

My memory is scary now too. So you think you might have read the Stephen Langer book and this was the one your doctor called a Quack – some G.P’S really do take the biscuit don’t they? They can be so arrogant and condescending especially about doctors from another country; it is so misplaced in my opinion. And meanwhile people like you and me suffer needlessly.

Anyway you asked about my foot; how kind of you. It’s usually always me asking about other people. It’s funny that you chose to do so this week because it was my appointment at the consultants last week and what a let down that was. I have been keeping off my foot for about six months and greatly cut down our lovely daily brisk walks.
    The option I was given; was surgery to it which made my insides turn to water when he mentioned the risks; or just keep going as I am until I need surgery……Yikes.

It’s still confirming my original post though; I won’t be taking up running or kick boxing any time soon!

Lastly, no I don’t watch Strictly but I knew what you meant by Keeeep Fasting!

We haven’t heard from you on THE LOACA thread lately; it’s not too fast and furious nowadays which is nicer all round. Oh and I meant to ask are you from Britain? I couldn’t find if you had said anywhere.

Oops sorry, one last thing; have a look at THE LOACA thread. I have just recommended (yes, yet another book! We’ve got to help ourselves because no-one else is going to!) to arla to read a book called Mindfulness for health – if she was in pain at all and Mindfulness – for dealing with stress. They have been proven to work.

Onwards and Downwards! – please God

Morning PreciousBooBoo, you are so good at keeping in touch with people and supporting them on this forum, and you do a amazing job on the LOACA thread. I honestly don’t know how you keep up with everything going on over there. I do read it, but struggle to stay on top of who’s who, what they’re up to FD wise, what their particular struggles are etc which is why I’ve tended not to post on it. I might put my food in it and offend someone!

I’m really sorry to hear the news about your foot. It sounds a bit like you’re in between a rock and a hard place which is really tough as you like walking and being outside, especially with spring being just around the corner. Poor you … sending a hug! Are you just going to grin and bear it for the time being? I don’t like swimming either so was wondering if you able to do other exercise like stationary bike or cross trainer (says she who hates the gym!) which doesn’t involve moving your foot in a ‘walking motion’ or whatever it is which causes you pain?

Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ll see if my library stocks it.

I’m on my second fast day this week, and already feeling grumpy. Not a good start to the day! Oh, and yes, I am a Brit.

Onwards and please, please downwards this week for all us LOACA’s!

Hi Lulu01

How’s it going? Are you back in the saddle? It is really hard to stay motivated if you don’t get any encouragement in terms of the scales or looser clothes.

I’ve managed to lose the 2lbs I gained 4 weeks ago and this has now brought me to where I was 6 weeks ago! Talk about yo yo weight!
    But the other alternative is to carry on gaining by eating normally as I did for years prior to finding the FD…..

And yes, I do feel like I’m in between a rock and a hard place (very apt!) regarding my foot. I am looking at what other exercise I could do without further damage; but as you know, we don’t just go for walks because it’s good exercise. We enjoy the countryside, the wildlife and the fresh air etc so restricting it affects far more than giving up a form of keeping fit. And I really don’t enjoy other forms of exercise so then they become a chore.

Ho Hum; Big Bum! As jojo58 wisely said!
    I hope you get some encouragement this week Lulu
    Onwards and Downwards!

Hello PreciousBooBoo, I was just congratulating you on the LOACA thread for the 2lb weight loss. I know it’s been tough, but good for you. Is it this weekend your back home for your celebrations or did you go last weekend? I hope you manage to keep the pesky weight off.

I was back in the saddle last week and lost 2lbs of the weight I put on whilst I was away which is good, but I’m feeling very unmotivated as I don’t seem to be able to get past the ‘magic’ number so I was quite naughty over the weekend :o(

I know exactly what you mean about exercise becoming a chore unless you’re doing something you enjoy, like being outside. Are you able to walk at all? I can only walk for short periods before my back plays up so I do short walks combined with exercise video’s at home and the gym from time to time.

Keeeeep Fasting!

Hi K8tie

Well I have read both books and am feeling quite overwhelmed by what is suggested.

Reading Chapter 9 in Mark Starr’s book made me feel defeated before I start. He reminded me just how complex this whole issue is of having thyroid problems, adrenal problems and everything else which is affected in addition.

I also remember saying when you asked if some of us wanted to check our BBT; that I wouldn’t be keen to try any supplement because I react negatively to so many things/foods/drinks.
    If I try a new herbal tea all my joints ache for example; so I have found, over 25 years plus of trying to solve the riddle of my illness, that my body is sensitive to almost everything.

I tried Googling for practitioners in the UK who could advise and monitor me through the protocol and I found one in Scotland; he’s at a clinic and just reading about it tells me it will be extremely expensive. And we don’t have lots of spare mazoola to splash around.

I also tried the Yahoo group you mentioned; I managed to bungle just registering and now I cannot even send them an email to say I am having difficulty joining the forum! You couldn‘t make it up!

I did also look at the Curezone group but was a bit put off by that one; they all seem a bit gung ho and seem to have no fear in taking the supplements and having fairly scary detox reactions. Having adrenal problems can cause heightened symptoms of fear/anxiety and some of their symptoms would seriously concern me.

I wondered if you could think of a practitioner since you are in this kind of arena? I know of a doctor in London who is world famous for treating hormones (and I would bet money he practices this protocol) but again he is mega expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (if I had a choice I would rather discuss all this with you privately).
    With thanks
    BooBooxx

I’ve found the thread!

Of course Precious Boo Boo

However remember as I said, iodine is a natural part of the body, and here is a quote “for over 100 years, iodine has been known as the element that is necessary for thyroid hormone production. Iodine is found in each of the trillions of cells in the body, and without adequate iodine levels, life itself is not possible.”
    “Iodine is not only necessary for the production of thyroid hormone, it is also responsible for the production of all of the other hormones in the body. Adequate iodine levels are necessary for proper immune system function, Iodine contains potent antibacterial, anti parasitic, antiviral, and anti cancer properties. Iodine is also effective for treating fibrocystic breasts and ovarian cysts.”
    “Apparently 1.5 billion people, about 1/3 of the earth’s population, live in an area of iodine deficiency as defined by the World Health Organisation.” This is from the book Iodine: Why you need it Why you can’t do without it 5th Edition by David Brownstein MD.

I got the suggestion re the Mark Starr book from a D&D on the amazon uk reviews – she mentions a UK Dr Durrant-Peatfield, who I was determined to see as he is Broda-Barnes trained and that training is important to us here in the UK!!!! The review mentions adrenals also which I have no knowledge of personally but do check to see if it resonates with you.

The review link for D&D and she has become very knowledgable on her thyroid issue as you will see from the link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004D4Y7W6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And don’t forget the detoxing with lugols iodine is of heavy metals from our body – and there are ways of dealing with it . . . and you start very small dose and work up as your body accepts it. People do all sorts of heavy detoxing diets and think nothing of it for some reason.

Not sure where this Dr is but a Broda-Barnes trained is one we need. And if I still need help I will certainly save my pennies to see one of these guys . . . I think our health is the most important thing and is always my topmost priority re my spend.

If you want to email me you can do so through my website.

Sun has now gone back in again . . . 🙁

Much love to all . . .

Ooooh! Re the book “‘The Riddle of Illness’ by Dr Stephen Langer ” mentioned above.

In D&D’s review on amazon she mentions Hypothyroidism, Health & Happiness: The Riddle of Illness Revealed by Steven F Hotze.

But I found reviews not so good – wanting you to do some 3 part diet or something – I saw this though rather useful info re UK thyroid dr’s:
    thyroiduk[dot]org[dot]uk offers a list of the very few thyroid sympathetic doctors in this country.

And Dr Durrant-Peatfield who wrote “Your Thyroid and How to Keep It Healthy” is one of these UK doctors though not googled to see where he is.

Ahhh! Missed it Dr Durrant-Peatfield, the Broda Barnes trained doctor is near Gatwick Airport . . . 45 mins away from me in East Sussex if I prove to need him in the end but check the link for more.

Precious Boo Boo

This was a review on Amazon for Dr Durrant-Peatfield’s book. See re adrenals . . . and what is so VERY WORRYING is how many people may have been misdiagnosed with other very debilitating issues like ME over such a long period of time!!!

“This book has saved my life. I was misdiagnosed with ME 20 years ago. I spent at least half of that time bedridden and the rest of the time struggling miserably to have any quality of life. Then I read Dr Peatfield’s book. I managed to source Adrenolyph and Armour Thyroid from the internet without a prescription. I began the adrenal support and started on Armour. I did improve a bit, but lost my nerve slightly. I felt I needed more support so I made an appointment to see Dr Peatfield. He immediatly diagnosed me with adrenal failure and servere hypothyroid and helped me get my medication doses right. That was 7 months ago and I am now leading an almost normal life after 20 years of very severe illness. Dr Peatfield said it will take a year to fully recover as untreated adrenal/thyroid problems damage every cell in the body. I felt a huge difference after only four months of following his advice. I am now able to excercise, work and have a social life. I no longer feel depressed, I feel optimistic about life. My IBS has totally disappeared I can now eat absolutely anything I want for the first time in 20 years.”

This is for you Precious Boo Boo:

“Be warned: if you have had low thyroid for a while (in my case over two decades while the NHS told me all my tests were “normal” – partly thanks to this book and also thanks to Mark Starr’s book) then you will almost certainly have adrenal fatigue, which has to be addressed first, as the body needs working adrenals to use thyroid properly (this is a simplistic explanation).” Dr Peatfield’s book.

Hi K8tie

I’m sorry I have only just looked at this thread, so I didn’t realise that you had responded so quickly.

So thank you for that straight away.

I haven’t made any mention of all the things I have tried in the 25 plus years I have been trying to solve the ‘riddle of my illness’ but I think I would surprise even you K8tie.

I have read the Stephen Langer book many times over this period (if you look back at the LOACA thread; I make mention of this and Dr Peatfield’s book).

Dr Peatfield is one of the private doctors I have consulted and he wasn’t able to help me with the exception of my adrenals; which when I mention them, I say I have had treatment for and continue to treat.

I do not want to say a word against Dr Peatfield, he is a lovely man and a very successful doctor and yes, he did study with Broda Barnes.
    He genuinely cares about his patients and he doesn’t charge them a fortune to treat them, unlike some others.
    He is a rare and wonderful human being but sadly he wasn’t able to solve my riddle. It is truly unusual for me to express this view as I do not automatically award doctors the kind of deference some other people do, unless they have earned it.

I’m not sure you have ever told us your website address but I will go and look back at your posts and your profile. As I said, I would much rather discuss this privately so I will endeavour to find it (without you having to put it here).

I rarely ask anyone to help me K8tie; so I do really appreciate you even trying.

BooBooxx

Ladies, go and get your hormones tested for progesterone. It’s a natural diuretic and helps keep fat off. During peri menopause women drop 75% of their progesterone and only 40% of eostrogen. This can lead to estrogen dominance (especially from xenoestrogens in our food, water and skin care products as well as our meat supplies and vegetables. Natural progesterone is proven to be efficient as a protection against weight gain. As it works with estriol (the good estrogen), the hormones have to be balanced and measured by a lab. A good doctor or endocrine specialist maybe able to help as long as they prescribe natural hormones. Can also offset aches and pains, hot flashes etc. Of course it’s a bit more complex than just those two hormones but they do play a major role in womens’ shapes. I started the 5.2 only this week and loved the fasting day, had lots of energy and felt relieved as I slept so well during that night.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.