Im so confused regarding BMR and TDEE

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Im so confused regarding BMR and TDEE

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello all

So I’ve been doing the 5:2 for three weeks now and have lost 6 pounds in total. I weighed myself this morning and had only lost a pound even though I feel I’ve lost more so I was a little disappointed. However after looking at my BMR and TDEE I can see why I lost only a pound as I have clearly been over eating on my feast days.

Please can someone (in simple terms) explain the difference between the both and

Should I be eating my BMR which is 1442 or my TDEE which is 1730??

Any help will be much appreciated?

Hi Sakina and welcome:

The definitions are given in the “HOW” link on the top of the page.

For weight loss purposes, the TDEE is the number to use. You want to eat to your TDEE – or less – on your non diet days.

Here is how 5:2 works, along with answers to most every other question. TDEE is explained in number 4: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thanks simcoeluv

So if for weight loss purposes I should be eating the TDEE, what is the BMR? Shouldn’t I be eating my BMR if I want to lose weight as its less calories??

Thanks

Think the bmr is the calories your body needs just to function. So you should eat above these calories on non fast days but below your tdee. Does that help?

What muffin10 said.

Also, (if it doesn’t confuse the issue too much and you want a specific number to stick to rather than a nice BMR-TDEE range to fit between) you could pick your goal weight and work out your ‘future TDEE’ using that. As long as your future TDEE is not LESS than your current BMR then you can use that ‘future TDEE’ as your goal on non-fastdays (it’s not going to help you to call them ‘feast days’ as they’re not that). If you do this you will be getting a bit of a weight loss boost and you will be getting your body ready for ‘end-state’ weight maintenance for the rest of your life.

Hi Sakina:

My advice was to eat to your TDEE – or less.

The quickest way to lose weight is to eat nothing at all, although I don’t recommend that.

There is no need to eat in any kind of bracket (between BMR and TDEE, for instance). It just makes your calorie counting harder. The BMR number is included in your TDEE and is really useless for weight loss purposes. It would only come into play if you were in a coma and wanted to lose weight, in which case it would be your TDEE and you would have to eat less than that to lose weight.

Good Luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.