IF and Fast Exercise

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jeffR 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I tried to start 5:2 last year, but could not take off properly. I gained a couple of kilos during the Xmas period, so I started 5:2 in January this year, and lost about 4 kgs doing the 36 hours fasting.

That was great!

This week I started my fast exercise regime, but I probably had more cals than allowed in the non fasting days above the allowed TDEE, as I actually gained 200 g this week.

Yesterday’s 2nd fasting day was particularly hard for some reason. Hunger was more uncomfortable than in the previous weeks, but I survived it.

Anyway… my question is about TDEE and fast exercise. I do the aerobic work out for 7 minutes 3 times a week, and the 7 minutes strength workout twice a week.

Do you classify fast exercise as “light activity” for the purpose of calculating TDEE?

In calculating the spent Calories during fast exercise, do we just enter the time spent (7 minutes x 5 = 35 minutes… not much of a weekly activity, but very exhausting when you’re doing it!).

Thanks.

Hi jeff and welcome:

35 min. a week in exercise sounds sedentary to me.

Good Luck!

Yes it does, but…

Have you read Fast Exercise?

Have you tried fast exercise 35 minutes?

Here is a link: http://www.fast-exercises.com/how-to-do-fast-exercise/

The whole idea behind FE is that get the maximum benefit of exercise with the minimum of time. In fact, if you read the book it will show you that anything in excess of say 20 minutes a day is not that beneficial for weight loss, aerobic gain or strength (if I have understood the book correctly).

Any more comments from someone who knows about Mosley’s Fast Exercise?

Hi jeff:

I know all about Fast Exercise.

Putting it in more understandable terms, if you weigh about 250 pounds and run 35 minutes at 10 mph (unlikely), you will burn less than 1000 cal.

1000 cal. burned in one week does not raise your activity level above sedentary.

You might be getting the maximum value of exercise, but not the maximum calorie burn.

Good Luck!

Good enough for me.

But one of the points in Michael’s book was also that calory burning did not increase significantly by doing “more exercise” time.

What gives?

Of course, I do not include in my counting garden work, standing at work for 4 hours a day, and general moving. I’m only focusing on the Fast Exercise regime for the purpose of this question.

Again… my question was not about how many calories the regime burns. But whether that is “light exercise” for the purpose of calculating TDEE given the benefits of fast exercise.

Jeff:

No, it is not light exercise. From a TDEE exercise point of view, it is just 35 minutes of exercise, which is not very much.

Oh well… too bad.

I’m sticking with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.