I did the fast 2 last week and gained weight

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
I did the fast 2 last week and gained weight

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  neostaford 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

• Hi ive lost 5kg since the beginning of the year counting calories and using the powerfit. .but have reached a plateau and keep going up down 69 to 70 🙁 I started the fast 2 last week but I actually gained 700g. .not sure what I am don’t b wrong. I’m not much of an exercise person. But started doing 15 minute high intensity workouts last week. Did it for 4 days combined with the powerfit.

It comes down to what you are eating. Foods like bread, pasta, pizza, rice, potatoes all cause your blood glucose to spike. This raises your insulin levels which means the calories are stored as fat, rather than burning fat. Continue to eat up to your TDEE and 1/4 TDEE on fast days but try and eliminate the foods I just mentioned. Do you drink fruit juices? Eliminate fruit juices, if you want fruit eat a whole pieces of fruit. Never dried fruit. Do you have sugary drinks? Avoid them. Do you eat cereal for breakfast? Avoid cereals. Avoid any grain based foods.

Hi thanks bigbooty.I don’t drink soft drinks but I do drink red wine. I have been trying to stay less than my TDEE on non fast days. I try to not eat much of the bad carbs. .breakfast is usually toast with eggs or peanut butter, lunch might be soup fruit or leftovers and dinner might be a curry with 1 chapati. .would normally eat 2. Would love to see some results to boost my motivation

OK change things up a little bit for say one month and see what happens. Go without alcohol for one month. All alcohol must be processed by the liver and stored as fat! Have your eggs scrambled without the toast in the morning. Have the curry without the chapatti. Im not saying you need to be a monk and abstain from everything but do it for a month and see what happens.

On the occasions that I have some bread my blood glucose will be a lot higher the next day when I measure it after waking up. No grain based carbs and it will be 4.5-5.0 mmol/L. If I have grains it will be 5.5-6.0 mmol/L. If youre trying to lose weight that higher BG level isn’t going to help.

Ok I can give that a go 🙂 also what is the best way to fast. I am trying to avoid eating anything until lunch time on fast days. .then I have a small meal at lunch. Today I had a boiled egg and an apple. Dinner I will have fish and coffee with 1tbsp milk and no sugar and some pineapple as a snack. All totalling 500 calories. Is this ok?

Try not to eat anything solid. You need to feel the hunger. That’s the moment your body will look for stored fat. It only lasts a few minutes. Drink tea or water constantly.

On eating days you can be indulgent, but moderately. I don’t buy the carb police at all. Just eat what you want and look forward to a nice sinful white bread bacon sandwich on a difficult fast moment. Don’t fast 2 consecutive days. I fast Monday and wednesdays. Sometimes I throw in a 3rd day.

I lost a lot of weight this way and, to be honest, without too much suffering. I actually enjoy fasting.

Hi robertus, thanks for your information. So you mean you don’t eat your 500 calories on fast days? Or you don’t eat all day and then have one meal?
    How much weight did you lose and over how long?
    Thanks

Hi Sanj,

I’ve lost over 30 kgs and it didn’t take me long to discover that fast days worked best for me if I didn’t eat until dinner and then had all of my calories at once as it gave me a decent amount of food and meant not going to bed hungry. I also found that once I started to eat I didn’t want to stop and as a result I no longer eat before lunchtime on any day.
    Having said that, whether you eat or not on a FD, when you eat and what you eat on any day is entirely up to you as we are all giving our opinions which are usually what works for us and might not be appropriate for you so you’ll need to work that out for yourself by trial and error.

There is nothing abnormal about blood glucose being raised after eating and insulin being released in response. That is an entirely normal physiological process and not something to be feared. The important fact is that your diet is healthy and balanced and not overloaded with processed carbs and sugar.

There is no reason why you should give up your glass of red wine unless you really want to. As for carbs, I don’t eat packet food for example cereals, (apart from porage oats) biscuits, snacks etc. I eat dried fruit in small amounts several times per week. If I have bread it is occasionally and if I were you I would give up the toast but not the chapati or at least ensure I didn’t eat them both on the same day. Eggs are a good option for the first meal of the day as egg protein has been shown to keep you felling full for longer.
    I eat small amounts of potatoes, rice and pasta occasionally, no reason to give them up either.
    If you read the fast diet book it states categorically that no foods are off limits. In my opinion it is about quantity and making healthy choices the majority of the time, not making life a misery because we can’t have a glass of wine or a piece of bread.

The other thing to remember is that weight can fluctuate as much as a couple of kgs over the course of the day for many reasons and working out can cause a temporary rise on the scales due to the body’s muscle recovery process. Don’t worry about the 700g after the first week, just look at the overall trend and I’m sure that after a few weeks you’ll see that your weight is moving in the right direction.

Wow congrats on your 30kgs amazon. .that’s amazing results. I have been obsessed with the scales moving and I’m feeling down again. After my third fast day yesterday the scales haven’t moved 🙁 I totally stuck to my 500 yesterday. I need to try and do a weigh in just once a week. .but it’s just so tempting to see if it’s working or not.

Hi Jake, can you send me a copy please. Ive done the fast for 4 days now and haven’t lost anything. Now I just don’t even want to stand on the scales. Totally lost my motivation this week.

Sanj2710- stick in there. Ignore the scale if you have to. Some weeks I don’t lose, but then see the loss the next week is greater. Just do the fast days for a month and see whereyou end up and then tweak from there. I have lost 20 lbs. i find it easier to not eat solids on fast days. But even when I was doing (3) 500ish calorie days a week I was losing 1 lb. So, think of it like this, you can lose weight with more than one way of doing this diet. Pick the way that works best for you. Keep at it. I agree with Amazon completely. I too have taken a more relaxed carb approach to my non-fast days, though I stay away from pure sugar spikes like juice, Coke, candy. If I eat something like pasta I will take it with Apple Cider Vinegar pills or liquid to help curb what would normally be a large blood sugar spike.
    I half things that I used to eat that were bad, like pizza and fries. Good luck!

Sanj, this is not a quick fix, the average weight loss is 1-1.5lbs per week. You need to keep going and be patient. If you are doing it properly and creating a calorie deficit the weight will come off.

Thanks guys😊 a little motivation from others always helps. Pink queen can you tell me more about how you take the apple cider vinegar in liquid form, how much and tone of day? Thanks 😊

I eat everything,dried fruit every day,chocolate,ice cream,bread,pizza,drink sometimes beer. It’ s calorie in vs calorie out. Plain simple. The quallity of weight loss depends on macro counting and proper exercise. You could do leangains two meals a day,lunch and dinner. 2000 calories per day,cycle carbs,three times per week bodyweight workout and smile how easy it is. Sorry for my english.

Would the lean gains method work if I wasn’t much of an exercise person? I do about 20 mins high intensity working out every 4 times a week.

Sanj, would it help you to think of this as a lifestyle change instead of just a weight loss diet? That way you keep doing it regardless of weight loss.

Periodic fasts are so healthy for our bodies, especially our brains and hearts! When we go without food our cells start cleaning out damaged parts. Scientists now think that some cancers come from damaged mitochondria, which are cleaned out during fasts. Plaques that form in the brain and may contribute to Alzheimer’s disease are also cleaned out during fasts. You lose visceral fat, which makes you much healthier regardless of the weight loss.

So even if you’re not losing weight as quickly as you may like, think of the other health benefits. Personally, I fast for the anti-aging benefits and the weight loss is just an extra benefit. Both of my parents died early from ill health and I don’t want to follow that path.

Lemna makes a good point, don’t think of it as a weightloss diet, think of it as fasting for health for the rest of your life. I fast now 2 times a week and feel great. My mood is better, and I feel like I learn to deal with issues without using food. After I lose the weight I need to lose I plan to continue fasting for the health benefits atleast 2 days a month. Our bodies crave the break. I take Apple Cider as a splash with 8 ounces of water right before meal or immediately after. You can start out with 1-2 teaspoons. My splash is about 3 teaspoons. Vinegar has many health benefits too.

Weight loss= Calorie in vs calorie out

Fat loss= Macro counting + proper exercise= Calorie in vs Calorie out

Optimal health= Fast diet, leangains, eat stop eat, 4:3 diet + paleo, primal eating =Macro counting + proper exercise= Calorie in vs Calorie out

Yes lemna, definitely a good point and I guess it’s been easier to make this a lifestyle choice as the sacrifice is only 2 days of being strict compared to bring calorie tight everyday.
    I still am so eager to lose some weight and it would be nice to see some results to make me feel good.
    I was weighing my self everyday but no I’m sticking to one weigh in day. .and that’s tomorrow. .really really hoping the scales will move down a little bit, would really make my day 🙂

Neostaford- I think the calories in and out theory is still just a theory. Studies show that it is much more complex than that.

I think we always need to bear in mind that those of us posting on this forum and that includes me, are not experts just ordinary folk giving our (mostly unsubstantiated)opinion.

If it was just a simple calories in/calories out equation, then how do you explain those weeks when I KNOW I have stuck to the rules and yet done darned scales don’t budge one smidgin?…and it is not that I have suffered from food amnesia!

The ‘equation’ is a LOT more complicated than just calories. …For me personally I know that some of my meds (and I’m on a fair few!) can muck around with my metabolism….stress can cause an unexpected scales-reading too.

Everyone is an individual and needs to look at how their own body works.

One thing is for sure 5:2 DOES work if you stick at it. Some weeks you plateau and then all of a sudden the weight starts to shift again….I should know, I’m in this for the long haul. 8 stone (ish) lost and counting!…done over a few years with a few minor gains , quite a few plateaus…but an overall downward trend.

Sanj…stick with it!

I love this forum. .it’s great to get some real life advice. And talk to people who are doing the same diet.

So week 1. .I gained 700g. .week 2. .no loss or gain 🙁

I’m still gonna stick with it. .but how depressing . .Grrr.

Hey all — Sanj2710 I HEAR YA!! I just posted earlier this week (on a different thread) that I take my measurements once a month and all of a sudden this month I’m UP an inch in two places! WHAT?!?!?! I’ve been doing this WOL since April 11 and for the most part have had good results …I plan on sticking with this for the rest of my life so I turn to this forum for CONSTANT encouragement, advice, laughs and venting. For me it’s easy for me to “get in my own head” and get frustrated/depressed when I didn’t do as well as I THOUGHT I had ….but then I have to stop and remind myself that “hey, if I wasn’t doing this WOL it would have been DOUBLE whatever I did” …. 🙂

First forget about everything you think that you know. Second read this article. Follow his instructions. Keep it simple. Weight loss is about simplicity. Simple meals, drinking espresso,green tea and water. Forget about mumbo jumbo meals. Who can count those calories?

Here is the article:
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-count-calories/

Hey rlw66. .totally agree with you. .love the boots of encouragement on this. I’m finding this easy to stick to. .although this week I’m struggling on finding my second day to fast lol as I have so much on socially.

Thanks for the info neostaford.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/how-do-we-gain-weight-calories-part-1/

This blog completely changed the way I thought about calories. Technically, it is calories in vs calories out. So we can measure how much we eat and how many calories we burn. But we have much less control over metabolism and appetite. And as we learn with intermittent fasting, appetite can be based more on routine than actual biological need for food.

From a physics viewpoint its more like: calories in + calories out + calories storage (i.e. fat + glycogen) = constant. The calories in calories out model is a little too simplistic.

Hi! I’m just reading and chiming in here since I too have plateaued and have learned a lot from the above links, so appreciate the posts! Reading about Professor Mark Haub losing 27 pounds on a 10 week diet of Hostess and Little Debbie cakelets and snacks, Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, made me giggle! I love that he’s busted a whole heap of myths, not that I’m attracted to follow in his footsteps given my age and issues with blood sugar etc. Also, the thought of snacking on Oreos, Doritos etc. is depressing. Lastly, though Mark Haub followed the diet with success for 10 weeks doesn’t mean he’d remain well were he to continue for years at a time.

Recently Horizon (or SBS in Australia) featured twin doctors Alexander and Chris Van Tulleken who set out to find out which was worse metabolically, fat or sugar. Chris, who only ate only the sugary foods and came out quite a bit ahead of his twin brother in body assessment results at the end, was told were he to continue that particular diet long term, those results would not be maintained. In other words, his positive progress would be short lived in light of the bigger scheme of things. Here’s a link to a write up about the show if you’re interested…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2546975/One-twin-gave-sugar-gave-fat-Their-experiment-change-YOUR-life.html

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply.