I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,801 through 2,850 (of 3,046 total)

• Wow, Lael! Sounds like you have a lot on your (metaphorical) plate but also as though you could really be changing your life in a very positive direction. I’m very excited for you!

How about substituting something constructive when you feel like binging? I know, for me, activity is really REALLY important when I’m fasting. Could you take a walk when the urge comes? It would give you some quiet time with your thoughts and get you away from the temptations. Then, once you break the cycle, you’ll be well on your way to self esteem and the kind of nurturing you’re looking for.

My very best in your quest to undo the wrongs. I know you probably already are a strong woman to have survived whatever and will be that much more awesome when you marshall that strength in the service of what you can be. (HUGS)

______

12kgLess, have you checked to see if there are hidden sugars and carbs that are still triggering your impulses? I suspect there may be.

As for the sleeplessness, it’s a symptom some people report when the fast. But they also say it passes so hang in there! Meanwhile, even though I water fast on my FDs, there are times when it’s clear that my stomach is just unsettled. When that happens I have a cup of hot broth. 25% of your TDEE still leaves you a *lot* of room to have what you need.

If you live in the US there’s a product called Better Than Bouillon which comes in chicken, beef, turkey, mushroom and vegetable flavors. The ingredients are organic. It comes in a small jar you can keep in your fridge and you just add some hot water.

There are also enzyme supplements that can help with those minerals. I take one because it prevents some pretty horrible leg cramps I used to get that interrupted my sleep. Getting good sleep is also important, as I’m sure you know.

Lots of people here do ADF and there’s another website focused on that it you care to check it out. https://www.facebook.com/TheEveryOtherDayDiet It’s run by Dr. Krista Varady who is a researcher that Dr. Mosley interviewed in his BBC doc. It’s quiet now but she says she’ll be back in January. She regularly posts a lot of articles and research summaries concerning ADF and IF and she has a whole community of people who are doing “Every Other Day Dieting” which is the name of her book on the subject.

Oh! I almost forgot. I went to a doctor’s appointment yesterday and they weighed me. I lost 9 pounds between 9/30 and 11/16.

I also bought myself a pair of size 10 jeans a few days ago. I tried them on. No luck. I could barely get the button done. BUT I can see them in my future.

I’m so excited when I can go down a jeans size. All my weight is around my waist. So when I can wear smaller jeans the legs and seat look sooooo much less baggy. So onward and downward (as someone else recently said)! 😏

Thanks LA Chubster! Yes, I do see this WOL and the clearing of all the emotional stuff as a kind of spiritual path. I used to view bingeing negatively and now I often view it as an opportunity to grow from it.

Also LA Chubster, congratulations on shedding the 9 pounds! I too had a pair of pants that were my ‘goal’ pants. Instead of using a number on the scale as my 5:2 goal weight, I used a pair of pants that I had stored for a decade or more, a pair I didn’t think I’d ever fit into again, but had once been favorites so couldn’t let go of them! …The only thing is that they aren’t as in style as your new pants would be!

That’s a fantastic weight loss LA Chubster, and shows that you are doing the best for your body. It also shows that with focus and determination, this way of eating really does work. I’ve had jeans in the wardrobe for years that I would love to wear again, but up til now they’ve only taunted me “you’ll never wear me again ner ner” but haha…..I’ll have the last laugh….😀😀

Lael – I think most bingers and certainly those carrying significant excess weight are emotional/comfort eaters. Some are after experiencing extreme trauma in their lives – especially in childhood- and some in later adult life. The way food is promoted in the childhood family home can also have an effect. I know my relationship with food is behind my hefty size ( thanks Mum) but taking control, as you have, is the key to dealing with the trauma. I wish you peace in your head and much success in overcoming your traumatic past.

Thanks, guys. That happened over a period of 6 weeks so it’s really a pretty sensible and moderate weight loss but I only know what, exactly, has happened when I visit the doctor so it’s a bit more dramatic if I sounds like it happened all at once.

______

There was a thread somewhere many months ago when people discussed the traumas in their lives and what impact it had on their relationship to food. Those emotional blows are certainly a well-established link. Then, of course, there are the physiological distortions that take over once there’s a chronic misuse of food — actual metabolic dysfunction that researchers are still trying to pin down. But once that starts your body gives confused and counterproductive signals that are real and compelling (as if you haven’t all noticed…). We’re fighting *all* of that.

But the wonder of IF is that regular fasts give our bodies a “vacation” from all that and resets the switches so we can get our metabolisms going again and sending us appropriate messages. That’s a powerful tool!

And your eventual victory, Lael, will be in proportion to the trauma you endured. Deservedly. So I’m really happy for you to be on that path. You go, girl!!!

hello, all!
    what are the plans, thoughts for the Thanksgiving week? i am thinking to fast on Monday and Tuesday, the rest of the week we have plans to see people and eat together, my husband cooks;-)
    i stepped on the scale this morning after my 5:30 am cycling class, i was 1.4 kg lighter then 10 days ago, would love to feel better in my clothes too! i think clothes make me more upset than numbers on the scale.
    all the best.

Hello.
    Just updating the topic. I do not have good news – my weight numbers do not go down:-(. I did 2 F-days last week on Tuesday and Friday after the thanksgiving day, no problem. Unfortunately I do not even feel lighter, just feel cold while fasting. The stubborn weight is very discouraging. Tomorrow is the next F-day.
    Hope everyone is doing well

That doesn’t seem right Alisa. Were you sticking to the calorie count? Did you overdo the Thanksgiving food?

I know from reading other posts across the forum that some people do all the right things but the weight doesn’t seem to shift. Have a look on those threads to see what the sage advice is. Whatever it is though – don’t give up. I think this is the best eating pattern that I have come across in my very many years as serial dieter. I think you just have to tot up every calorie mouthful and keep a count. All of a sudden, it’ll pay off. Keep the faith….

Cut out/down the potatoes/pasta/rice/potatoes.
    My dear friend who has always been obese, for over 40 years, has lost almost 4.5 stone since January by simply avoiding those 4 things. She eats out several times a week with wine and yet she is shrinking, she doesn’t count calories or anything. She eats full fat anything and avoids sugar, and has ditched the diet coke.She also started 2 FD in the summer and often misses breakfast as she isn’t hungry then.

I try to have several days a week when meals are protein with vegetables or salad, without those carbs. It feels a bit weird in the beginning, but protein fills you up and carbs don’t. Avoid sugar.

hello all!
    happy to hear from all of you and thank you for the advice!
    all the suggestions made me think what i do right and wrong:
    1. annette’s note – no rice/potatoes/pasta. This does not apply to me, i do NOT eat any of these foods at all for many years, no sugar in the house, but i eat grains – still carbs. i eat oatmeal in the morning and 1 packet of Ancient grains at lunch – i need to change this. it seems that for weight maintenance carbs are ok, but for weight loss, carbs should be reduced.
    2. Pandora’s note – yes, it could be just a “strange day”. No overeating on the Thanksgiving, but i did ate/snack between meals( it is so hard to admit, because why did i do that?!) I hoped that my scale would give me some good news after perfect 540cal days, Oh, well. I keep going with 5:2 and it is very comforting to read people’s success notes.

Today is my second F-day this week, doing fine so far. I will step on the scale tomorrow morning.
    regards

No food is banned. I merely avoid sugar, potatoes, pasta, rice and bread. I try to have several days without any of them and I do think that I feel better without them. I tried on a favourite dress this morning and it is loose, which makes me very happy. I am hoping for some shrinkage around the tummy…

Your dress story sounds so good, Annette! I hope we write more stories like that one;-)
    You are correct – there is no “bad” foods. I do not eat pasta/rice/potatoes because I stoped long time ago and they do not look tempting any longer. I make “mashed potatoes” from steamed cauliflower in a blender with some mayonnaise- delicious!
    Good weekend to everyone

I am brilliant at maintaining but I am struggling to shrink my waist. It has taken loads of comments especially from Bigbooty to convince me to reduce the potato/rice/pasta/bread consumption. But I have to say, I think that they are right and it was my stubbornness that kept me wedded to what I believed/been told was a healthy diet. I wish that I had tried cutting these out sooner.

We have roast potatoes once a week and thoroughly enjoy them. My boys love vegetables(me not so much) and have been used to pasta and rice several times a week with potatoes in between.

One son(on the autistic spectrum) who is overweight and rigid on what food he will eat and how it is prepared and works in a restaurant, has lost weight(approx 2 stone) simply by having several meals a week without any of those 4 carbs. I explained that it would help him lose weight by having these less often and as nothing is banned, it is all very doable. We sit down to meat or fish with vegetables and pasta makes an appearance much less often.

I have been thinking about how to negotiate the festive season. The day will be what is essentially a large roast with left overs the next day. I am not a fan of cold cuts so will be having a light lunch/FD of smoked salmon and salad. My goal this year is not to put on any weight, so I think that I will have to fit in 2 FD every week for the whole of December.

Way to go Annette. 🙂 Glad to know you don’t think I was talking utter dribble.

Brilliant bigbooty! So glad that you saw my comments.I know that I was very resistant and thought it was quite mad to give up these carbs and couldn’t see how it was going to work and what I was going to eat. I am sure that I am not alone in discovering just how little food I need to be healthy. I have been reading around the subject from Jason Fung, Robert Lustig and Aseem Malhotra who all seem to agree that we need to change what we eat.

I thought that I should give it a try and think about what I was going to eat if I took those 4 carb families out of a meal.It did seem very weird but I am happy to have Brie and salad at work for lunch. I do find that much as I love risotto it makes me very tired in the afternoon, so now I avoid it.

FD taught me to think carefully about 500 calories and then that I simply felt much better eating better quality food.I think that I would be quite happy to live on a diet that includes eggs, cheese, fish, lamb chops, beef stew, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, fruit, raw peas, homemade vinaigrette dressing with olive oil, mayonnaise, butter, avocados, raw carrots, homemade hummus, chicken etc. I really like these things, they make me feel happy and healthy.

I have gone from feeding 4 young men down to 2 and in the spring, the other 2 are moving out, so that will just leave me. I can eat whatever I like, which is going to be weird and liberating. My freezer will be far too big!

Let us not forget my friend who has lost almost 4.5 stone from January by avoiding those 4 carbs and since the summer, has started fasting. She eats out 3 times a week and holidays 4 times a year often cruising…and is still shrinking. If you need the proof that less carbs are the way forward…..

FD for me tomorrow.

@annette I was never a big veggie eater. Loved my bread. Now I very rarely ever have it, don’t really miss it. I probably eat more veggies than my wife now and she’s been a vegetarian for 25 years. She bought home a bag of broad beans still in their pods from some local farmers market. Try these she said. Man I tell you they are better than eating a bar of chocolate. They are my go to snack. Who needs to eat crap processed foods?? They are sweet and juicy but have a load of fibre 25%. Carbs locked up in fibre is the secret. You don’t have to go low carb as such, just make sure the carbs are locked up in fibre. That’s just not the case when you buy processed foods. They go out of their way to strip out the fibre so its easier to manufacture. Then artificially put it back in so they can claim it has fibre on the packaging. Trouble is the fibre no longer locks up the carbs its just sitting there not doing a damn thing.

I can see how the general public don’t believe (processed) grains aren’t good for you. 50 years of misguided propaganda is going to be hard to overcome. Heck even on this site where people are trying to lose weight and eat healthy there are lots of people that are sceptical and think Im talking rubbish. But I’ll keep banging the drum and hopefully one by one people will slowly come around. 🙂

I was skeptical but you wore me down by repeating the same view that the processed grains were to be avoided. At the back of my mind was the comment by Robert Lustig (Fat chance, the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease) that despite eating whole grains etc he was still 10 lb overweight. I have pondered on why he was still overweight when he eats whole foods and none of the rubbish.I think that another 10 lb less of me(preferably from my belly) would be brilliant and help me to gain that waist of less than half my height(I am short).

I like raw carrots and love raw peas-buy them by the bag full when they are in season. I had never thought about broad beans-not a fan when they are cooked. I shall see if I can find them and try them, so thanks for that.

If we all ate healthy and nutritious food, just imagine where the food, pharmaceutical and weight loss billion pound industries would be? Much poorer I suspect.

Cheese salad for lunch, fruit and a few nuts this evening. FD done.

I have suggested to folk at work about having days without those 4 carbs but they clearly think I am mad, apart from my friend who is shrinking fast. It is such an alien concept to avoid these carbs even for a day-bonkers really.

Hello Everyone!

Just catching up on the posts. I am so grateful for all your comments, stories and encouragement. It really helps a lot. So, I was doing really well and then I kind of hit a brick wall with fatigue and not being able to sleep. This caused a lapse and then Thanksgiving hit 🙁 I think I gained a lot. Last week I was able to do 24 hour fast (eating one meal a day) and that was really helpful to get back on track. My ideal would be to be able to ADF but I will have to work up to it. So I am aiming at starting with 4:3 but I am taking one hour, one day at a time. Today is my fasting day. Had a coffee with butter and it is going pretty well so far.

Thank you La Chubster- I think I have pinpointed part of the cause of my “falling off the wagon” so to speak which was really direct result of not getting enough sleep. I was doing low carb/high fat which is working for me greatly but I needed to uptake my sodium ( I am using Real Salt – which has more of the trace minerals including potassium). I read the Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volteck and Dr. Phinney and watchws youtube videos and they mention needing to increase sodium intake with this way of eating. As low carb will cause your kidneys to dump all the sodium which also leads to potassium loss as well. This makes sense as low potassium can cause sleep issues among other things. I feel much better now that I am making sure to watch my sodium level.

I don’t think I have lost any weight and I am not planning on weighing myself regularly. I guess I am going to see how my clothes fit as I get further along on this lifestyle. “LifeStyle” is what I keep saying to myself as I want to eat this way for the rest of my life. I don’t want food to be such a chain in my life. Eating fat has really helped which is so surprising to me.

I don’t know about you guys but I have hard time with eating on the FD. I find that just the fact of eating cause me to want to eat more. Eating can be addicting at time for me. So, i drink coffee with butter or cream and this is helping. I guess, it is better for me to just not eat at all on my fasting days.

Looking through the FAQ’s pages, it says that fasting days are 36 hours not 24? Is that right? Can anyone give me an example of their eating pattern? IF you fast on Mondays, then when do you stop eating on Sunday and when do you eat on Tuesday?

I am trying to come up with some sort of schedule that I can train myself on.

Thank you again everyone. I am truly grateful for all your insights and wisdom!

I only fast one day a week. So my last meal is Sunday night at about 6 or 7pm. I go all day Monday which is my water fast. I then eat Tuesday morning at about 7am. That makes about 36 hours.

I have an evening meal at 6.30pm on Sunday, then eat next at lunch time Monday.I usually simply miss breakfast on a FD. When I have been on holiday, I have tried once to push lunch back as far as I can and caved in late afternoon. I am going to have another go during the festive break and see how I get on.

I eat dinner before 6pm and next morning eat breakfast at 7:15 am. I do not skip breakfast because I exercise at 5:30 am and pretty hungry by 7. On my F-days (Tuesday and Thursday) I practice yoga the rest of the week cycling/weights, but I did not loose anything yet. Tomorrow is my F-day #7. I am not disappointed yet, like the ‘discipline’ and hope the weight will go down.

Have a look at your shape and how clothes fit to get an idea of where you may be shrinking. I have found that clothes are the best measure of change. I found that skirts that I was sick to death of became loose and then I was able to pull them down over my hips when they were zipped up! I don’t think that I have ever been so happy about clothes.

I have a couple of shift dresses that have no ‘give’ at all and are a great indicator if I have been generous on portion sizes, and I try them on quite regularly. I have a skirt that has been lower on my waist and aim to get to that point again by the spring.

My friend who has now lost 4.5 stone has an awful lot of clothes that are getting loose but also much longer as she has less padding. Her shoes are too big and has gone from wide to normal width.

Yes, Annette, thanks! I dressed up today for work and did not get that ‘oh, i hate my clothes’ I just zipped my pants with no negative thoughts – the fit was better! Not ‘yours’ better, but I was happy. The scale still the same, no loss there, I blame my health club;-)
    Today was a party at work – did not eat anything. I think it was easier that way.
    Tomorrow is F-day # 8 – it will be a month of my 5:2 lifestyle.
    How is everybody doing?

Hello.
    I stepped on the scale this morning (after the cycling class) and the number was 2kg less then it was a month ago,happy. I hope it would be a bit faster. All good.
    Now eat days till next Tuesday
    Have a good weekend

I watched a programme a few months ago about health and weight. The conclusion was that the number on the scales was a poor indicator of health,but that a waist(measure around the belly button) of less than 34″ for women and 37″ for men was a good indicator of good health(less visceral fat). The scientists concluded that to use scales correctly(bodies can lose and gain lbs in a day) was to weigh every day for a month and then work out the mean.

Much too boring for me, I adopt the once a week or couple of weeks-weigh/measure/clothes try on and use that as an indicator of where I am.Have a look online at what 1 lb of fat looks like compared to a 1 lb of muscle. Extraordinary.

Hey islanders, I’ve been shipwrecked but didn’t renounce my islander citizenship😎 – happy to say after reaching my goal weight over the summer I’ve managed to bobble along right close to it. I heartily wish there WERE an island I could live on, though, if you can read between those lines.

Nice to see familiar faces! and welcome to the new ones. A big thanks to those who kept the thread going, as our stories are so universal. Glad to see my queen, favorite wizard, and west coaster are still here.✨💛 I still feel normal guys! It can be done. Foods that were triggers can now be eaten without any ado, before or after. BUT THEY STILL TASTE GOOD. But in that way where you don’t sprout fangs at the taste of sugar. And omg food is so much more fun when you control it, instead of vice versa. Sorta like your baking, Chubs.

One thing that keeps me in check is that too much of a bad thing quickly leads to nausea or that jittery unpleasant feeling. And “too much” doesn’t take much. So unlike the days of yore, when I’d just chase a doughnut with ANOTHER doughnut, I now chase half a doughnut with some protein or a walk, preferably in the opposite direction from my kitchen!

Why am I now craving broadbeans, lol….I’m not even sure what they are. Having a coffee with cream out on the beach. Come have a cup🐚🔆🌈🌴☕️🍶xxjade

hello.
    oh, it is Tuesday and it is my F-day. i do not want to do it! i thought by this time i would get used to 540 cal days, it is boring. i am not going to the kitchen because i know, if i start, i would eat too much – do not want that to happen.
    Question – have any of you stopped bingeing for good? did 5:2 lifestyle helped?

Hi, Alisa — that’s a great question!

I began 5:2 in March and haven’t binged since. It is completely do-able, so don’t give up hope! “Boring” is a dangerous place for me, so in the beginning I paid a lot of attention to making sure my FD meals were not only good for me but delicious and as filling as possible. Play around to find what works for you — maybe you’d like a large pot of soup to last all day, or perhaps you’d like to fast until a favourite dinner. You can get a huge bang for your buck out of 500 calories if you get a bit creative.

Personally, I have eliminated my trigger foods (sugar, grains, starches) and now have no cravings for them at all. This is nothing short of a miracle, considering what I doing a year ago.

Everyone one here is finding their own way within the 5:2 structure. What works for one may not be the answer for another but you’ll find plenty of success stories as you read through the forum. Best of luck to you, and keep on asking those questions.

Thank you for the note, Lolly_
    Sounds liberating that real people can stop binging!
    Strangely enough, I feel less cravings to eat a lot now. I was afraid that it would work just the opposite- after a F-day I would want to compensate. So far the thoughts are coming but they are manageable. I also plan different things and get existed thinking about them: massages, facials, listening music… I also grateful for the feeling of ‘being in control’ over food cravings.
    It is 100%true, that different things work for different people. 3 books come to my mind ( I read books about binging trying to understand it) the first one is ‘brain over binge’ – I learned that thin people can binge too, it is different from weight issues, but the author of the book stopped binging as soon as she understood that she is not sick, it was just all in the head – it did not happen to me. Next book was by Wendy Handry – I liked it because ‘it did not happen’ to Wendy too. The last but the best is ‘never binge again!’ Works! I want to say it was my last ‘diet’ book, no need to read more.
    It is another (second) F-day, today goes well so far.
    Regards

Real people can definitely stop the binge cycle, Alisa! For me, this means eliminating the problem foods but also means working on any emotional triggers. Knowing what and how to eat is the part of the solution we see first, but equally important is the fact that we must choose to use this knowledge on a daily basis. In times of stress, this can be tricky — but 5:2 is always there for when we are ready.

Hope your fast day went well!

Hello everyone! Happy holidays!
    I am on my second F-day this week, just finished lunch, my rawrev glo bar. It is going well, I scheduled a massage session in one hour – love it!
    Hope people enjoying the holidays and feel good about themselves
    Regards

Hello, it is me again. The F-day yesterday was successful – 540 cal, just 3 raw bars, nothing else – good self discipline! However, I am reporting no weight loss since I started on November 18th;-(. I feel unique and unlucky.
    Marry Christmas

Alisa don’t feel unique – or unlucky. You’re here! And that’s very lucky. But 5:2 is a slow process of retraining the ever-resistant body and mind. Also, the nonFDs can sometimes more than make up for the calorie deficit you manage on the FDs. But hey so what – you are on the right path, just mind your tdee on the nFDs and you’ll start to see losses that stick. I personally struggled with a plateau for months – admittedly tossing in the towel some days and neither fasting nor TDEEing. However, I WAS still retraining my appetite to wean myself off cravings for trigger foods (sugar definitely). And I wasn’t keeping myself from gaining back all I had lost. I feel so much better now that thoughts of food don’t control me. I say this a bit tongue in cheek after the holidays BUT I know that 5:2 is always handy when I need it.
    Just don’t get discouraged – everything you are doing is helping you break the binge cycle. jadexxx

Hey, Jade! So VERY glad to see you again!

I was derelict all Summer and when I came back you were gone. What a shock!

As for binging I am here to say that it’s definitely a thing that can be overcome. And it’s SOOOooo worth the work to do it because the peace of mind that comes from not having food running your life is a delight well beyond the mere satisfaction of smaller clothes and strangers that are friendlier to you!!!!

Be patient with yourself. Start where you start and grow from that. Experiment and tweak the program to make it work for you. Eventually you’ll find out what your trigger foods are (Hint: they’re the ones you think you’ll DIE without) and see that giving them up is NOT abandoning your bliss. It’s just the beginning of the REAL bliss that comes from freedom and new self-confidence.

It took me some 60 ____ing years to figure that out. But however old and used up I may be, I am a FAR better person having gotten there. ….eventually.

Hi Jade and Chubs,
    Lovely to hear from you both. Everyone seemed to disappear, no idea where they all went.

I have been reading The Obesity Code by Jason Fung and have learned a lot. Fung talks of obesity in terms of being a hormonal imbalance which results in an increase of Insulin which also sets the body weight. The body always aims to keep things the same and will resist weight loss by slowing the metabolism and increasing the desire to eat. Makes sense when you think of all of the systems of the body that are controlled by hormones to resist change.

Insulin resistance keeps insulin levels high which result in a high body set weight. Decreased calories=decrease in energy expenditure=plateau. Eating real food doesn’t cause high levels of insulin(all food causes an increase, but processed/high sugar foods the most), but won’t lower it. The 5 steps to weight loss include reducing added sugars, reducing refined carbs, moderate protein intake, increasing natural fats and increasing fibre and vinegar.

He suggests that rather than looking for one thing that would work we should look at all of the elements that have an impact on each of us so that reducing stress might be more important than consuming less refined carbs, or lack of sleep, or increasing fibre or changing meal timings.

However, he thinks that is only half of the solution and the other half is fasting. Intermittent fasting reduces both insulin and insulin resistance=lower body set weight. He suggests that if some foods make you feel hungrier then avoid them, don’t eat if you aren’t hungry and after a FD carry on as if nothing as happened(don’t compensate by eating more). I did find it very interesting to learn that highly refined and processed foods do not make us feel full because they are not recognized by the body.

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I haven’t gained weight over Christmas. I did eat cake, pudding and chocolates but I also fasted from dinner to dinner a couple of times the week before and couple of times after. My measurements are the same but my trousers are looser..

Oh yes! DO stick around Jade!!!! You were the heart and soul of a very vibrant, fun, encouraging and informative spot for me.

Let’s make that happen again because I think binge eating is such a big problem for a lot of people. And the very GOOD news is that it CAN be overcome! I am simply amazed that — at least at the moment — it isn’t a part of my life. Over Christmas I cooked and baked for 3 weeks. Then I had 2 days of absolute indulgence. I had cookies, cookies, cookies. And helping after helping of coffee cake. I ate stuffing made from bread and gravy and Every. Single. Thing. My. Warped Little Heart. Desired. And then I just stopped and fasted for 4 days and now I’m resuming my 5:2 pattern with ease.

We have to make this miracle clear to people who still having binging running their lives. Plus we want the fun of naughty company, no? 😉 And we need to provide the evidence that you can fall — I know I DID over the Summer — and still get up and carry on however many tries it may take.

Hello group,

Jade lovely to see you back on the boards. Your ongoing enthusiasm and support (along with others!) has been invaluable.

Chubster so great your last post, your honesty. I think bingeing is a life long struggle and i really have never been able to ascertain why some days I just wake and think food,,,, and I could sit over Christmas watching people eat all sorts and moderation was fine, but then today… porridge, peanut butter on fruit toast, biscuits had a lure like nothing else, and each bite I wanted more more more. Like you chubster, anything else that came up, smoked salmon, crackers etc that I desired, I ate. I just wonder why my mind couldn’t focus on anything else? Although, then I look at the calendar TOM due in 5 days.

It’s very hard to just “get back on it” when having a negative, fatalistic frame of mind, i.e., “broken it” or eaten two packs of those it would take me months to work that off why not just carry on. Although chubster, I sometimes wonder, (maybe justifying it) are we programmed to eat more on occasion. And the way you have found to counteract this is to fast… and if that works…

Happy visiting islanders and considering hopping back to the low carb brigade.

Tc

Hello Everyone,
    Great to see Jade, Chubs and now Queen back-hurray!

What about if what we eat is only half the solution Queen? Jason Fung(The Obesity Code) Suggests that reducing refined carbs and sugar, increasing natural fast and eating real food is only part of the solution. The other half is fasting and with that no eating between meals.

He argues that obesity is a result of increased Insulin, so reduce the insulin(fast regularly)reduce insulin sensitivity=lose weight.

I did 2 24 hour fast before the festive week and afterwards…and didn’t put any weight on despite the feasting. Very very pleased. I am planning x8 24 hour fasts this month and hope to reduce my body set weight limit.

Yup, Queen, it may be that the urge will always be with us and pop up when we don’t expect it. But fasting has given me a new resistance to it that I can summon (most of the time) when I need to.

It breaks my heart that you’ve struggled with this for so long. I don’t know how much success you’ve had — maybe more than I appreciate — but I really WANT you to break this cycle.

Have you tried *really* fasting? Maybe you’re someone like me who has a difficult time with limiting to 500 calories. 500 calories — especially if I’ve let some sugar or starchy carb sneak in there — is just an invitation to my appetites to get active.

I had food compulsions running my life for most of my 69 years. Honestly. I was just the delivery system that procured the food and fed the compulsion. I didn’t have a lot of self-respect because I didn’t get much affirmation and I was at the head of the line heaping criticism at myself. Putting *that* behind me is SOOooooo much more of an achievement and happened sooooooo much faster than losing weight.

Actually *fasting* for 60 hours or so breaks that cycle for me. Annette and Dr. Fung would point out that, at that point, I don’t have much insulin running around my body and being tyrannical. What I’ve found is that it enables me to engage my *brain* and my conscious choices to decide what I will enjoy and what will serve me well on my food days. I can continue to eliminate sugar and starchy-carbs without stirring up that tyrant again and having it working against me.

I’d highly recommend that you take a shot at it. It’s less hard than you’re probably thinking. You just keep busy and keep a bottle of water at hand and power through it and then begin reaping the reward of having a calm mind that isn’t distracted by food and cravings and can be in charge of your choices once again.

I do 60 hours every week. I look forward to them as much as I do the first day after them. I’ve done longer ones lately and find them easier and easier all the time. And the comfort in my body as I go about my business and the satisfaction of feeling in charge of my own life are beyond any reward I could imagine. Certainly beyond the reward of giving in to quiet that maniacal craving for half an hour or 15 minutes before it sets at me again!

I appreciate being able to ‘vent’ here about an incident that took place today that triggered a ‘binge’. It’s a long, kind of ‘book length’ story, though writing it has been therapeutic and has enabled me to explore and gain clarity about why I binged today out of the blue.

Today I binged in the aftermath of a ‘perfect storm’ of ducks that lined up that triggered my hunger both physically and emotionally. It started after spending an afternoon with a friend. When I think back to where exactly the urge to binge began I see two main triggers.

The first trigger was being out with my friend at a so called ‘health’ cafe and accepting the offer of a so called healthy ‘antioxidant’ drink as a kind of gift/treat. Hey, I know fruit juices, smoothies are simply concentrated sugar in a particular form, maybe even like wolves in sheep clothing! However, my friend was having one and I didn’t really think about what this drink entailed and out of not really thinking it through and being somewhat unconscious about my decision, I accepted! Looking back, I realize I would have felt guilty to knock back her offer. I’d knocked back other offers of food from this friend and I almost felt like I thought I owed it to her to accept this time! So there you go! This was the start of the whole binge scenario right there! So the drink arrived and was very pretty, pink/red frozen concentrated fruit and/or juice whizzed up into a thick slush which tasted so, so very sweet. Don’t ask me what fruit was in it because it just tasted nondescript sweet! …Not long afterwards I started to feel a headache come on. Since practicing WOL, my level of sweetness tolerance has been lowered to such a very low level and my body just wasn’t used to this! This drink was the first step toward my binge. It was the physical trigger.

So, I feel that drinking that drink kind of primed me for being extra vulnerable later on when my friend said something that I didn’t handle very well and left me hanging and feeling emotionally negative and self-critical on an unconscious level.

I’ve had this friend make similar comments in the past but this time it was said while I felt that physically foggy and unbalanced feeling after that big slushy drink.

My friend herself has been emotionally challenged since jilted by her boyfriend in a very harsh way and many times during the afternoon she repeated that she was sure that it was because she was ‘fat and ugly’. I actually think my friend is beautiful and her skin glows, she’s got gorgeous facial features and her curves look attractive and each time she’d say disparaging remarks about her own weight, I’d counteract her comments with the truth I see, which is that she is a beautiful woman.

So, out of the blue, my friend suddenly turned to me, looked me up and down critically and said in a disapproving and emotionally fearful voice, ‘You’ve lost a lot of weight!!!’ I remember being aware of the uncomfortable feeling of the comment and wanly replied, ‘Yeah, um. it’s good isn’t it?’ She then said nothing for a long time as we continued to walk along through the village. Even though I spoke up for myself, in that moment I began feeling very small. She eventually lamented ‘Well, I’m so fat!’ This time, instead of reassuring her, and telling her she is beautiful, as I’d done about 10 times before, I said meekly ‘Well, then you can do what I’ve been doing. It’s easy, really.’ …She knows I’ve practiced 5:2 and she always shuts down when I mention a thing about it, and all along from the first few kilograms I shed, has fearfully expressed concern and fear about my progress, as if I’m doing myself harm or something. She even once warned me to ‘stop dieting so much’. I remember feeling strong in response to that back then as I let her know that what I was doing wasn’t a diet and that I could eat what I wanted to eat! Of course, I hadn’t just consumed a pint of slushy sweet drink when she’d said that! I think it might have been when I felt really strong on one of my days after a fast!

Anyway, all I know is that I contracted after our little exchange and after leaving her was only aware of hunger and cravings and how much I wanted to snack and binge, so boy did I!

Now with very full stomach, I thought to at least sit down quietly to feel if I could unravel when and where my cravings began, what sparked them, triggered them and I came up with the perfect storm I described above, which was first the acceptance of that overly sweet drink that spiked my blood sugar and then left me emotionally vulnerable, rather than strong when then later confronted by my friend’s fears about my weight loss. Looking back, I realize I reacted by unconsciously feeling shame and remorse about my weight loss. I know that sounds completely illogical that I should feel such, but that is what got triggered in me. I can still feel my friend’s disapproval and I can feel my inner deep sense that I’m doing something ‘wrong’ in response.

I’ve already started a 36 hour fast which will definitely help me with the physical balancing of the blood sugar spike and hopefully give me space to find further clarity about the emotional trigger. I know if I don’t deal with the emotional trigger, I may find myself bingeing again, even when my physical body is balanced again.

I know you’re feeling bad about this right now, Lael, but it really sounds like a huge victory. You’ve been able to assess what the metabolic and psychological wounds and reactions are. And you took quick, remedial steps to avoid worse binging.

I hope there’s at least one small voice congratulating you for making the best of a painful situation because I don’t know who could have done better.

I’m sorry your friend turned on you. I’m sorry she found a vulnerable spot in you instead of being as self-aware and taking a constructive approach to her own situation. But, as you say, she’s in a bad spot right now from this breakup and lashing out. Maybe when she’s recovered she’ll be able to see things more clearly and be a better friend.

But, the plain fact is, there are people who need to lose weight who will be resentful and resort to trying to sabotage to shore up their own belief that they’re the victims of their weight rather than people who can marshall the strength we finally did and do something constructive about it.

The other good thing is that you recognized that you had this resource to come to. Hang in there and do what serves you best. It will make you stronger and more self-confident and it will make you healthier. You deserve that much and I know you’ll do it!

Poor you. BUT you have been able to see what happened so that you can be aware if you find yourself in a similar situation again.

When people change how they look and how they react to comments, some people find that threatening because if you can change how you look and react, then so can they. People are complex.

When I started the 5:2 I couldn’t understand why others were not commenting on my weight loss, although now i think that it takes a loss of 14 lb before anyone notices, simply because people are wrapped up in their own lives. My very overweight friend commented that polka dots were very slimming-I pointed out that it was the 26 lb and 26 inches lost that were slimming, not the polka dots. It was a bit awkward and although I was upset and angry when I thought about it, my lost weight pointed out to her that she could lose weight too.

Time passed, nothing was said about that episode. I told her about what I had learned about sugar and she witnessed my moaning about giving it up in my tea. I told her about Fung and avoiding refined carbs and fasting. She has lost 4.5 stone to date.

However, I have upset another friend(who has 10 stone to lose) with my enthusiasm about Fung which is in conflict with Slimming World and free carbs, I just wanted to tell her about carbs and insulin etc. It ended with my apologies and end of communications.

Lael, how you feel is how you feel, illogical or not. You offered a choice of change and she has chosen not to, but that doesn’t mean what you are doing is wrong. My first friend rejected any idea of change for 2 years and then started asking questions. The second friend is yet to admit that SW is no longer working, which isn’t much of a surprise but it is up to her.

It’s so good to see posts in this thread again — it’s been far too quiet! I’ve been away for the holidays myself but I’m more than ready to settle back into my routine. Happy 2017, everyone!

Lael, your story touched me so much. As I have changed, so have the people in my circle. Some have been inspired to make their own changes and this has been such a joy. But as my own attitude became more positive I no longer was a good fit for others. In their responses to my success, I saw my own previous behaviour mirrored back at me with such clarity — they had been my friends only because we validated each other’s weaknesses.

I am growing in strength with each change I make, but I’m still susceptible to the doubt people can trigger within me. The inner work I do now is what makes the outer work possible. For the moment, I choose to let negative folk go. Some, with very great regret.

We live and learn. You did both, Lael — and let us reflect as well. It’s a good day.

Hey everyone! This feels like the Pink Ladies from Greece when Rizzo shouts “it’s the whole gang, back together again”. A big hello to the old islanders and the newer ones (who are by now I am sure old Islanders, it’s just that I’ve been off it for so long…).

I imagine it’s that pesky New Year thing to make us all feel a bit lardy and get back on the waggon I imagine.

Lael – sounds like your friend is a feeder. It’s sad that she can’t be happy for you and I am ashamed to say that when I was younger and feeling bad about myself I used to look at friends who were thinner and or succeeding on a diet and feel not happy for them but jealous. So I do understand that’s what happened here for your friend. I also lived with someone who had anorexia/bulimia and part of that was that she used to bake me cookies to ‘feed’ me and vicariously eat through me. It’s all very weird and sad what we women can do to each other. The good news is I think it happens less as you get older, and that you identified it so quickly. Just be aware of it next time you meet your friend. Sounds like she doesn’t have a good self image anyway so it’s easy for that to rub off on you if she’s trying to sabotage your diet.

Chubs – I took inspiration from you and tried to do a water only fast yesterday. Didn’t quite manage it but probably ate 200-250 calories which is unheard of.

Annette – next stop giving up sugar! Do I dare?!?

Jade, Queen – lovely to see you all back on the island.

Much love to my fellow Islanders, old and less old!!

Thank you all! Reading your responses has made my day! I’ve continued my fast contentedly.

LA Chubster I so appreciate reading of the strength you saw in my post and underscoring that!

annette, You handled that awkward situation so well. You’ve made me put my WOL changes in perspective since it took your friend 2 years! It’s really early days for me! I only started 5:2 in June 2016. Maybe also it takes time for others to see that what we are doing is truly a life change and not a fad diet or something fleeting/temporary.

Lolly, yes! The situation is definitely one I’m learning from!

mcca, yes I agree that women can be cruel to each other without even realizing.

Lael-well done. There is no doubt that people feel threatened when you change size/shape/what you eat…simply because that shows others that they can change too. Do be aware of those that will try to sabotage you whether it is conscious or unconscious. Personally I would give your ‘friend’ a wide berth for a while and when you see her next make sure that you decide the venue!

mcca-I always knew that sugar wasn’t good and over the years reduced my sugar in my tea from 2 tsp to 1 tsp.But I was also eating the sweet stuff every day, hiding it for consumption later and thoroughly convinced that this was normal. Last January I saw a programme about caffeine and was shocked to learn from out very own Micheal Mosley that I was consuming vast amounts of caffeine in my tea(6/7 mugs daily with 1 tsp sugar). Overnight I cut my tea consumption to 3 mugs a day, but what I hadn’t considered was the sugar that I was not now having. I felt better and the headache lasted a week and thought it was the less caffeine, but now I think that it was the sugar or lack of. I continued to have puddings at work, but then noticed that when I did have something lovely like sticky toffee I felt very very tired all afternoon-not realizing that this was a sugar crash that then made me search for something else sweet. I then tried no puddings for a week and felt much much better, my desire for the sweet stuff was less and less with each passing day which I found very interesting. I tried a pudding on 2 occasions the following week and felt rubbish again. A work colleague suggested ‘That sugar book’ by Damon Gamaeu which is a good book and he then referred to Robert Lustig(Fat chance-the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease). I learned that sugar was keeping me on a loop of craving more and eating more as well as the impact on my body. There have been lots of comments on the forum about Jason Fung and so I took the plunge at downloaded The Obesity Myth onto my Kindle. Fung inspired me to try 24 hour fasts as well as looking at what I eat. Neither Lustig or Fung recommend some joyless existence of miserable food but do clearly explain why it is good to reduce sugar consumption.
    I was in a shop yesterday with goods that I needed and found myself gazing at the array of chocolate. I was going to get something but found myself asking myself ‘how would it make me feel?’ The answer to that was ‘rubbish and wanting more…and more’, so I walked away without feeling deprived but powerful. If rats that have been addicted to cocaine, will choose sugar over cocaine, just shows how addictive this stuff can be. Lustig would say that if you don’t believe that you are addicted to sugar then go without it for 24 hours and see how you feel. I suggest that you reduce the amount of visible sugar in your diet and then look at the hidden sugar(high amounts in anything diet or fat free/jar tomato sauces/baked beans/frozen yoghurt). WHO recommends no more than 24g/day(1 tsp=4gs sugar) so that might be a good place to start.
    Have a look at these books, but if you just want to choose 1 then get Fung. Lustig and Fung are on you tube, but I prefer the written word to refer too.

Wow the whole group are here. How wonderful and so lovely to read you posts, although I haven’t fully caught up with all as yet. So sorry if I have missed some crucial bits of information!

Sorry to hear some are not feeling so supported by friends/ acquaintances. Its tough but like Mcca pointed out those not comfortable with themselves often seek to comment on others. I have to remind myself regularly you will never please everyone and I think it was on this board someone mentioned having some answers up your sleeve for negative comments or scenarios. Did anyone read the daily mail (I appreciate not the best paper – I only like reading it because mr Mosley is sometimes in it). It the recent doctor advising weight loss through two meals a day stated he just told people at work he had had breakfast when he had actually fasted because he couldn’t be bothered with all the lectures on the importance of having breakfast.

I notice my husband and I can be a bit unsupportive with one another, i.e. If one of us wants a curry (with all the trimmings!) and the other wants a salad, we will steer the other to join in with the curry!

As everyone knows my battle with bingeing is a life long one. I had actually lost weight recently by having soya cappuccino for breakfast, with a aitkins protein bar or protein porridge for breakfast… then usual meals and nibbles during the day. However the hunger has been overwhelming and I felt diZzy by 11 am. So can’t work out if it’s the coffee but doesn’t seem like too many carbs…my mood also dropped and today, a good time of the month (sorry for the squeemish) the urge to overeat was overwhelming. So I had four bagels, yes four and have to say, dizziness surpassed and I felt in a great mood. So, still in a good mood at the moment but pondering as to why I felt such hunger/ then urge to eat. Has it been just my psychological “dieting” mentality, or the fact o suspect my blood pressure was dropping mid morning and feeling so tired. Or maybe my body registered I lost a little weight and everything in me was programmed to regain that weight! I suppose the latter may be an excuse- blame the biology.

So your thoughts welcome but Annette, when I reflect on times I have previously sustained weight loss I have been 1. Highly motivated 2. 2. V stressed and busy at work or 3. grieving (!) I would rather be overweight and a binger than go through the grieving bit again, however all three times both times I didn’t have much of anything for breakfast. Breakfast is a killer for me as I always wake up wanting coffee and food.

I also will be in swimming gear in a month and I know I won’t feel comfortable without losing some pounds prior- yet the low mood that accompanies dieting is tricky. A month to lose a stone doable? Hmmm.

I also wondered if you have all found any benefits to home delivery food shopping rather than walking round the shops – I love strolling round the shop wondering what to have for supper, I love food, but wonder if it contributes to my food thoughts a little too much.

I shop in Lidl at the weekend and then we menu plan together on Sunday evening with a list of the home cooked meals in the freezer. I have a ‘fish drawer’ in the freezer, so that I can have a salmon fillet if lunch at work has been poor.

Have a curry but without rice and see how you feel. I had a chicken tikka/onion bhajis and naan bread..it was delicious and filling without the rice.

I really wish that you would read Fung as I think that it would really help you. However, the top tips are no snacking between meals, reduce sugar consumption-you had the sugar high from the bagels, reduce pasta/rice/bread/potatoes and if you can miss breakfast or another meal then do so regularly.

I think that your low mood might be the sugar addiction, so reduce the sugar. I am avoiding all 4 of those refined carbs for a week..would you join me?

Viewing 50 posts - 2,801 through 2,850 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.