How often should you lower your calories to your TDEE

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
How often should you lower your calories to your TDEE

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Good morning everyone. My TDEE is currently 2140; and I’m on the 5:2 to reap the health benefits & lose weight. As ( hopefully ) my weight slowly reduces, how often then should I lower my TDEE?

For example, say I lose 1lb this week, do I re-enter my new weight on the TDEE calculator, and take that as my new TDEE for feast days for the next week ? And so on ……… ?

Second question !

On feast days is it ok to bank, say, 100 calories, to add them to my TDEE for my Saturday night pizza & garlic bread…. ok, and chocolate !

I think you should make changes whenever what you are doing isn’t working for you. Another approach is to be just making changes all the time. As for TDEE, I personally disregard it. TDEE is something that you can use for a guide and if it works for you great. I also avoid consuming any calories during my fasts, so I’m not a good rule follower!

Typically I make some change almost every week. Lately I’ve been exploring ways to add more fiber to my diet. So I’ve been playing with different salads and things I can add to food.

So I think a good rule is you don’t have to make changes if your diet is working but when it isn’t it is probably time for a change. In my case I know if I stick in a rut (which I’m prone too) I’ll soon stop making progress.

The reason I don’t worry about TDEE is that personally I find at this point in my life calories are a second order effect. Sure if I were to start consuming 6000 calories a day I would gain weight but it still wouldn’t be anywhere near a pound of fat a day. My body just doesn’t work that way. Likewise sometimes I probably have a 5000 calorie deficit over a week and maybe only lose almost nothing. Calories have impact but not always control

Here is what I consider more impactful short-term
    * What I eat (ie NO refined sugar for me … yea my liver doesn’t handle it)
    * How often I eat – The 6+ meals a day just keeps me gaining weight.
    * How long I don’t eat – fasting … kind of why I’m here
    * Intensity of exercise

Important factors but generally longer term
    * How much I eat
    * How much I exercise

What works for me probably isn’t the same as what works for you. You have to learn how your body responds and take control. I think 5:2 is a great template and it can be very flexible. I hope you are successful with your weight loss.

Hi,

TDEE is only a guide as it is impossible for it to be accurate for everyone and for quite a few the figure is too high.
    It is up to you how often you re-calculate as there are no hard and fast rules which is one of the great things about 5:2.

I would stay away from banking calories as it can be a slippery slope.

If you are interested in the health benefits of fasting it would be better to try to improve your eating habits and not indulge in Saturday night binges.

I also don’t think of non fast days as feast days because they are just normal eating days and for me the feasting mindset is also a slippery slope.

The most important thing is finding what works for you,

good luck 🙂

For a long time I felt compelled to eat every calorie I was “entitled” to. This is a risk of adhering too closely to a TDEE and it’s not really a healthy approach to eating.

For a few months I’ve been roughly estimating calorie intake rather than accurately counting them. I have a low TDEE (1400 calories) so initially I had to monitor to learn how to change my diet to fit my body’s low calorie needs. I feel I now have enough confidence to stop monitoring calories completely and beginning this month I am not going to monitor calories in any way as I now have a good knowledge of appropriate serve sizes and I know that if I actually trust my appetite and only eat when I’m hungry I do actually stay under my TDEE most NF days.

I’d suggest you aim for a healthy diet most of the time, then an occasional indulgence is just part of the ebb and flow of normal eating.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.