How many weeks did it take for this diet to feel "normal" to you?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
How many weeks did it take for this diet to feel "normal" to you?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I just finished my first fast day yesterday and just had a normal breakfast. Have been thinking about nothing but food and this diet for about 36 hours now. Yesterday was Sunday, so I didn’t need to be too productive, and I was able to hide somewhat from kids when I got hangry (which was the better part of the day). I’m worried about the next fast day when somehow I have to perform at work, be pleasant, and come home and do stuff with kids too. I have to believe that since people live this way, it gets easier. What I want to have is a goal in mind. Like “get through the first 4 or 6 fasts…” and all will feel normal somehow. Thanks for any insights on this!

Regina, are you eating on Fast Days or water fasting?
    We Fast on 600 calories [lean protein, lots of veggies] each Fast Day, <300 calories/meal. It did get easier the longer we did it, so it should for you. You talk about Fasting on a day when you didn’t have to be too productive…. I find it much easier to Fast on a day with a lot going on because it takes my mind off food. Think about that. When I get busy it is much easier to Fast.
    Good luck.

I’m doing 25% which for me is 400 calories. I’ll find it it if it’s easier being busy when I fast tomorrow. You say it gets better – bus does it ever get normal? Like it’s no big deal and I’m the background? Im aware that I will really need my brain and my body to adjust fully or close to it if this is going to work.

Regina, I know there are some people who, after a few weeks, find 5:2 and easy pattern that slips into their lives.

I am a bit more patchy. I have times when it is so easy and I just cruise along, and other times when it is so hard I think I am like a surfer who has lost her board and is getting whacked in the face by waves.

However when I was losing weight, I was just SO glad to have found something to help. If I had a difficult day I could say “It is just one day, I can do anything for just one day”.

Now I am on maintenance I have so many fast days under my belt (3 years worth) so I can say “Climb back up on the surfboard Cinque, you can ride this through”.

Tips:
    Drink lots of water.
    Use your 400 calories wisely. Protein and low GI foods keep you fuller for longer and will help with mood.
    Soup is wonderful.
    Hopefully a busy day at work will distract you from hunger.
    Try to focus on the wonderful things: the morning after a fast day when you get to eat breakfast. The clothes becoming looser. Every wave of hunger is a sign that your body is working to be healthier. Notice that hunger waves only last a little while and then go away for a bit.
    If it doesn’t get easier, follow Dr Mosley’s suggestion and make it 800 calories on fast days. The important thing is to make it sustainable in your life.

Sending best wishes and all good things.

I started the 5:2 diet, fast today on my own. Also wondering how long it usually takes to become an established pattern. I seem to be most easily derailed at the beginning. The ideas above were really helpful. I’m interested in any insights, recipes, etc.

I don’t seem to adjust well to eating just a small amount. I find water fasting easier. Still it took a few months before it wasn’t really hard. Most of the time it isn’t easy unless I’m really busy and the day goes by fast.

I’ve also don’t multiple day fasting and the second day at first was hard. Over time the extra days became much easier. It is kind of what you get used to and learning how hunger waves will go away.

The only time I find it a little uncomfortable now is when my blood sugar drops, typically a little over 20 hours into a fast for me. I tend to be a little light headed and have stronger hunger. Typically it passes within an hour. I have found my blood glucose will drop quickly and recover to normal range during that period. When I fasted over four days the blood glucose slowly declines a lot but that second decline is something I only noticed by testing my blood glucose levels.

So for me it probably took around 1/2 a year until I felt normal with fasts.

I slipped into a 5:2 pattern fairly easily and have continued to use it for weight maintenance for over a year after I finished losing weight. I don’t have set fast days I move them around to suit my week, but I never skip them. I find this is one of the easiest eating patterns because the restriction is just 2 days per week and it fits around normal life very easily.

In the beginning I did have to deal with a fear of hunger, but I found after a month or so I could deal with it. These days I just eat dinner on fast days and usually don’t even think about whether I’m hungry through the day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.