how long can I stay on th 5:2 diet?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
how long can I stay on th 5:2 diet?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi
    I have been on the 5/2 diet now for almost a year. I started in April 2013 and I have been very consistent fasting for at least two days every week since then. Sometimes I fast for three days a week. First two months I lost about pounds, but since June last year I haven’t lost a pound. It is very furstrating, but that’s just my metabolism. Just to be clear I excercise 3 times a week, at least, and I do not over-eat nor -drink during the other days. Even though I’ not loosing weight, I stay on the diet because at least I’m not gaining any weight. But my main concern is how long can I fast for two days a week. Is it healty and safe to fast for at least two days a week, forever or is there a limit to for how long one can do that?
    Regards
    Gunno

There are people who have fasted twice a week for decades. I don’t think there is a time limit on following this eating plan.

If I were in your shoes, I would try different exercises. I might try eating fewer carbs on the non fast days to see that that would kick the weight loss into gear.

I am doing high intensity exercises – alternating strength/weight with a cardo day.

I agree with Amy C. I’m by no means an expert on the fast as I have just started. But it’ pretty much a plateau. Your body is used to the fasting and probably the exercise that you’re doing. So, either lower your calories on non-fast days or add an extra day of exercise or change the exercise you’re doing or increase the time you exercise. If you’re just doing cardio, add some strength training to it. Any of those changes should make a difference. I used to run 4-5 days a week, 40 minutes at a time and my weight didn’t budge. Well, I’ve finally decided to add strength training which I hate, but I’ve already lost 1/2 on my waist. So change it up a bit. Good luck!

Thank you guys for these good advices, but really, I do both cardio, twice/three times a week and strenght training once/twice a week. So I don’t think that is the problem. And I also try to eat few carbs on my non fasting days.I have always been like this, and as I grow older it is getting worse. But, even though I don’t loose any weight, I feel fine on this diet and I want to continue, I was just wondering if it was safe to fast this much for so long time.
    rgds
    Gunno

ingunno:

There is no reason to stop 5:2. The 5:2 diet has been proven safe and effective.

The fact you have neither gained nor lost a pound in over 8 months simply means (by definition) that you are eating to your TDEE. To lose weight, you need to eat less than your TDEE. If you are eating 500 calories or less on your diet days, you will have to eat fewer calories on your non-diet days to resume your weight loss (if that is what you want).

Here is some information on plateaus: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

And here is some information on TDEE: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.