How do you eat healthy the rest of the time?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
How do you eat healthy the rest of the time?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  LA Chubster 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi I just started 5:2 for maintenance after I reached my goal weight doing 4:3. I’m having a lot of trouble maintaining though! 4:3 is hard because you have to fast alternate days during the week but I seem to have no control on 5:2. I can’t seem to eat healthy at all! Does anyone have any tips or advice on structure? How do I eat healthier? Im having a lot of trouble with overeating biscuits, crisps and chocolate!

Hi there!

I am a relative newbie to fasting but I find eating things that are a bit higher in natural saturated fats like eggs, avocados, nuts etc help me a lot!

Hi there, thinking ahead, planning, is my best tip. Menu planning, shopping,cooking, getting things out of the freezer etc so there is always a good balanced, portioned meal to enjoy.

I find some of these little rules help me too:
    1. Don’t eat after 8:30 pm
    2. Have a meal, as much as you want, and then wait 3 hours before you eat again.
    3. Have the sensible portion, but if you really want seconds, have a cuppa first and so it is 30 mins after eating before you make the final decision about whether you are full enough.

This stuff is important for being a healthy normal eater when you have got to the weight you are happy with and want to maintain it. It is an important journey! Good wishes fellow traveler!

I found the beauty of 5:2 was that it retrained my eating habits, so over time I largely lost my sweet tooth, I cut out, and stopped craving, sugar and simple carbs, and started craving savoury foods.

It sounds though that you’ve done 4:3 to lose weight but carried on eating (unhealthy foods and/or overeating?) as ‘normal’ on intervening days?

I’ve been maintaining with very intermittent fasting since April 2014, largely by eating 16:8 most days and eating no added sugar and very low refined carbohydrate Monday – Friday.

I never eat shop-bought biscuits or cake now, too sickly sweet for my tastes, but allow myself a homemade sweet treat at weekends.

Added sugar is NOT a treat for your body. It’s empty calories that spike blood sugar and cause your body to lay down fat. Mmmm, great.

And remember the definition of treat is something that you have on an occasional basis that brings great pleasure. Every now and then, fine. Every day, it’s no more a treat than milk in a cup of tea.

When I have an urge now for something sweet I eat nuts or cheese or corn cakes. Healthy fats or low calorie. But not sugar!

As a family we collectively stopped buying chocolates, biscuits, crisps, ice cream etc as part of our weekly shopping list. Personally Ive taken this further and try and limit my sugar intake to an absolute minimum. Sugar is quite addictive (at least psychologically if not physically). Replace your sugar hit with fat. it is very satiating whereas with sugar you will be craving more 30 minutes later!! I now have high fat low sugar yogurts (try finding that combo on the supermarket shelves, not easy!!) and have this with some almonds or walnuts. Sometimes I will add blueberries as well. Just as nice as a “chocolate fix” and way better for you.

Make your own yoghurt. very easy, you just need a saucepan, thermometer, small pot of live youghurt and a thermos flask. I believe that you can use any milk.

If you want the ‘recipe’ let me know. I store mine in a large jam jar in the fridge and it keeps well.

Hello everyone, any advice for a newcomer, am planning to start the 5:2 diet tomorrow hoping to lose 40lbs. I would love to hear from all of you doing the fast diet with tips to stay on course and how best to manage my fasting days as well as exercises to do.

Hi Cetta and welcome:

Here is most of the information you will need to be successful on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

I do not recommend that you begin exercising until you have lost some weight and your body has adjusted to the diet. Exercise does not help weight loss, but is most beneficial for overall health. Walking is always a good ‘starter’ exercise.

Good Luck!

Dr. Krista Varady recently posted this article on strategizing healthy eating: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/upshot/simple-rules-for-healthy-eating.html?_r=0

Dr. Vardy is the proponent of Every Other Day Eating and is one of the researchers that Dr. Mosley cited in his documentary.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.