Help me troubleshoot not losing now

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Help me troubleshoot not losing now

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fastingdawg 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Background I’m 5’3″ and weighed at one point 168.8 pounds. Lost 5 of those pounds in one week doing a 500 calorie diet and the week after I started 4:3 ( wanted to lose faster) in August of 2015. For about 2 1/2 to 3 months I was losing a pound a week. Got down to 153.2 at one point. I ate only once a day and pretty much what I wanted on my “non fasting” days and ate 500 or nothing at all on fasting days. Even on the holidays I was perfect on protocol however I noticed I wasn’t losing that I platuead at 154.4. Even though I was eating even less foods on my non-fasting days a great feeling.

October rolled around still stayed the same 154.4, same in November, December, January, February, up until March then I started gaining. I caught the flu in March and figured the weight gain was from my body trying to recover. I stayed on protocol as much as I could hoping it would subside after a while. Well….here it is April and I’m a whomping 158.4 pounds…..I’m very upset. I have a strong will power and know I’ve stayed underneath my calorie content if not lower. I even started upping my calories more just once a week thinking I wasn’t refeeding my body enough. That didn’t work either I stayed the same or gained even more. I’m really lost I cook ALL my foods from scratch, I measure everything, I only eat once a day on my non fasting day. Half a glass of milk in the morning, lunch a banana or nothing, then dinner I eat what I feel like which is usually grits, 2 strips bacon, with butter and cheese added. All measured of course. Followed by another glass of milk then water for the rest of the night. If I eat out its literally once in a blue moon and even so its only that one meal then I don’t have anything else to eat for the rest of the day. The last 2 weeks I’ve tried eating a spinach/kale salad with cheese added ( I HATE vegetables) and a chicken breast. Thinking it would jump start the loss nope still nothing.

Is there anything I need to do? I’m thinking about lowering my calories again to 500 to see if anything will help.

Hi fasting:

This might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Good Luck!

Thanks for responding, I read the posting before quite a few times. TDEE is all over the place some say mine is 1600-1700 the mayo clinic is a bit high which is why I didn’t use it. Even the 1600 calorie is still too much for me to eat. I know that I stay within calorie range because I eat pretty much the same things every time I eat. I usually hit about 1300 calories on fasting days.

Would fat burners help?

Hi fasting:

There are no such things as fat burners – save your money.

You claim you have been weighing and measuring everything. Did you count calories to go with that?

If you did, then you now know your TDEE regardless of what any calculator says. So to lose weight, you just have to eat fewer calories than your TDEE.

It is up to you whether you are willing to do that or not. Many are dismayed at how few calories their bodies need to run themselves and choose not to try to lose any more weight – or even to gain it back because they want to eat like they used to eat.

Good Luck!

Hi,
    I think the problem that your intake is equal your burning calories.
    I checked some of your food you eat and find out that 1 tea spoon of butter is 848 calories (can it be true?) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/butter-1-teaspoon-salted-butter-248313021

Is it possible to be a trouble-maker for your loss?

My experience showed that if I don’t loss there is only one reason – I ate too much. 🙁

Fortunately, we don’t need to give up our style of eating, just need to adjust it a little. I hope you will start losing soon. 🙂

coldpizza,
    The MFP link says that one teaspoon of butter is 35 calories.

Fastingdawg

The sad truth is that you are eating too much. I suggest you count every calorie by weighing and measuring for a couple of weeks. Fast twice per week having only 500 or 600 calories whichever is appropriate, calculate your TDEE on this site using sedentary as your activity level, and don’t exceed it on non fast days.
    Your weight should start to drop again and you’ll have a better idea of how much you can eat on non fast days.

Someone told me they were trying a fat burner at a vitamin store thought that would help the progress more.

Yes I count calories. Before when I first started 4:3 I didn’t really although I just checked once in a while. When I plateaued after the first month I started being more concerned. My TDEE from two different sites is around 1750 give or take so I eat around 1300 to 1400 for faster loss.

@coldpizza

The butter I use is KerryGold 1 Tablespoon is 100 calories.

Thank you for the kind words I hope so too, even if it slow just seeing something on the scale would be nice. I was upset at seeing 154 now that’s like a dream. I’m 30lbs overweight I have PLENTY to lose lol.

@amazon I already do those things, I have a food scale, keep a journal, etc. In the beginning I lost even though I did not count calories or measure food. As time went on my appetite actually decreased and I was eating less than what I originally started doing. When the weight stopped coming off I started weighing trying to figure out what was going on I also don’t do 5:2. I alternate between 4:3 and ADF.

Hi. Used your link, Coldpizza and MFP said 35 cals for a teaspoon, which is similar to what Fitbit gives it.

Yes, this does seem strange, especially if you are eating only one meal a day on non fast days. Kirsty Varady says that on alternate day fasting everyone loses weight. You must have a very efficient system. I restarted from my plateau by using 4:3, which effectively is alternate days with a weekend off!

I have heard that people have jump started things again by cutting out dairy for a week or so (not for ever, unless you are lactose sensitive). Banana are very high sugar, which will set off your insulin, and with high insulin your fat cells can’t release until the insulin drops back. Better have something else that doesn’t raise it eg a boiled egg is only 74 cals compared with the 105 of a banana.

That’s Krista Varady, not Kirsty, my auto text got at it!

I thought it is seems too much. Maybe myfitnesspal.com using 100 gr instead of tea spoon. 😀

@apricot its possible I didn’t remove dairy because I’ve always had good loses with it. As for the banana its not something I eat all the time some fasting weeks my body has I guess cravings for weird things normally I don’t eat anything ( no chips, soda, or other snacking that people graze on) Literally nothing but water until I get home, but there are some weeks that I will run to the store on my lunch break and grab a banana. Its very random.

I have plenty of fresh eggs even though I don’t eat them very often they hinder my losses, but I will try a boiled egg instead and see if that helps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.