Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,928 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 14 hours, 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,051 through 3,100 (of 28,032 total)

• Thanks for sharing MrsMiniMum!! You put a smile on my face. πŸ™‚ Keep showing your GP, and the rest of us, you can do it!

MrsMiniMum that is awesome! Thanks for sharing that!
    I also notice this program is changing my hubby and I with food choices. I dont like greasy food as much. I have been obsessed with Jamie Oliver’s comfort food series and been doing a lot of salads and mexican style cooking which involves at least 10 vegies per meal haha! I still make cakes and puddings but it keeps for days rather than hours like it used to be. I am just amazed. Hope this carries on until I achieve my 60 kg target… Just keeping it real. Christmas is just around the corner and I hope by then I have more will power to resist indulgence.

Thank you so much for sharing MrsMinimum! You’ve helped me stay on track. It’s so great to know that success really is possible if we stay committed! Look forward to seeing more success stories!

Thanks for sharing MrsMiniMum, it’s very inspiring.

You are all very inspiring and entertaining, love reading all your posts, BKD you definitely need to write a book!

Well it appears I’ve made it through day 1 being my first fast day, but this is the time of night I really struggle. There’s only me and my 7yo daughter, and once she’s in bed it’s tv or reading and lots of temptation to snack :-/ I shall go to bed shortly to avert any further temptation! I just had a quick question… does anyone have any experience with FD’s and exercise? I really struggled at bootcamp tonight, which could entirely be because I’ve had 2 weeks off exercise and have been in holiday mode eating ridiculously. I hope it’s the latter, as I’m not sure which days are going to be best for fast days.. possibly the days I don’t train in the evening… think I could get past it in the morning … I just felt very lethargic and even light headed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Shell

Hi Shell, there are plenty of more experienced people than me on here and I’m sure they will have great advice re exercise on a fast day but just to let you know I found it impossible to exercise on fast days for the first few weeks but yesterday ( a fast day for me and my fourth week in) I felt really energetic and went for two good brisk walks – not quite boot camp I know – but I felt great, no lethargy at all. I’m assuming your body adapts the more fasts you do.

I rekon jenklar is correct shell, just give your body a little time to adapt to this new way of being.
    I work in an active job massaging during my fast days and have found it ok…it’s not the same as boot camp, but I definitely work up a sweat!

Here’s a little something to add for the long term stories. This is week 77 for me.
    – 21.5kg down
    – b.p.down from 145/95 down to 110/60
    – cholesterol was high now normal
    – fastng blood glucose from pre diabetic range to normal
    – bad snoring to silent nights (happy husband)
    – 30 years of IBS, now it’s disappeared! Yay!
    – no longer have brain fog, I’m able to focus and remember more clearly now
    – looking and feeling younger, was wearing tight size 16 (18), now a loose 12 (10)

I’m so happy to look in the mirror these days, before I avoided it. I must be getting vain in my old age! All I know is that I smile at what I see now, rather than feel despairing like I used to.

I’m also taking on some of those new brain training exercises in the computer, it seems to be a slow but steady improvement in my skills. Although my maths is not brilliant, it’s happily not getting any worse, so there’s hope for me yet! I’m also planning on getting back to my art and finishing off my online story.
    Cheers for now.

Wow ihaveawaist…those numbers are inspiring, well done!

Hi Shell.

Regarding FD and exercise: I consume 400-500cal during my morning gym session in the form of a whey protein shake with milk and added BCAAs (branched chain amino acids). I find this prolongs my energy curve, preventing me from ‘hitting the wall’ and dampens post workout hunger pains. Apparently (I read this in mens health magazine) BCAAs consumed during work out prevent body burning muscle for fuel which means it burns more energy passively, maintains high workout intensities thru weightloss regimes, and reduces catabolic stress (which can make us crazy-hungry).

Thanks guys for all your advice and encouragement, I shall try a combination of all those things! I have some clean whey protein powder TP, so I shall try a protein shake before afternoon training on my next FD, and jenklar and IHW thanks for your input, I shall try to be patient and allow my body time to adjust. Having spent the last 2 weeks in the U.S. eating out three meals a day and not being careful about anything that I ate I hate to think about what’s floating around my system! Their food is so different to ours, I don’t think I could ever get used to it long term, nor would I want too! That being said, I’m sure there are healthy options as well, but when you’re doing the touristy thing on a budget, the options are rather limited. I found it astounding how much food was served up e.g. a breakfast of bacon and eggs (I had to order eggs with a side of bacon, how strange!) also came with a side of pancakes (5 in a stack complete with 3 different sauces), a side of hash browns, and a side of rice. I had to ask for toast, and the other sides weren’t optional! They just came with your eggs! Crazy stuff.

So thanks again, I shall allow my body time to adjust. I feel so good this morning after my first FD. I feel sharp and focused, and motivated! It’s great! Also don’t feel like eating! Had trouble fitting in my 2 traditional poached eggs, and forget the toast! I think going without makes you think very carefully about what you do actually want, and your body feels ‘clean’, if that makes sense, so you don’t want to put icky stuff in it πŸ™‚

Happy Wednesday to you all, hope you’re enjoying whatever you’re up to today πŸ™‚

Morning Ladies & Gents

Well this is my second week of fasting & I’m feeling great. I am doing a weekly weigh & measure to see how I’m progressing & I am pleased to say I have lost 1kg in the week, 1cm off my bust, 2cm off my waist, 2.5cm off my hips & 1cm off my neck. I am so happy…..Bring on day 2 of fasting tomorrow…..I am loving this…:)

Hi Matricka, have you tried Myfitnesspal for tracking calories on fast days? I find it’s useful and most things are in there. You will need to weigh them when it comes to fresh produce to make sure you have the right serving size.. πŸ™‚

Congrats kerm222 on your results, so exciting! And I forgot to say super congrats to you IHW, those figures are amazing! The weight loss this WOL provides is wonderful, but those other health benefits are just so motivating, I want a long and healthy life, FEELING good, not just looking good πŸ™‚

Great stuff peeps! πŸ™‚

Hello fellow Fasters down under!Ive been doing 5:2 for about 6 weeks and finding it much easier this time around. I tried 5:2 over a year ago for 6 weeks and had zero weight loss although I think I was not really strict enough and didn’t count calories on non fast days etc.. This time I am using MFP app and tracking calories every day except some Sundays (I don’t want to get too obsessive) I am 32, 165cm and started at 72kg and am now at 68 so 4kg down so far. I am finding it all much easier this time around and I’m not sure why. I tend to stay away from food until the afternoon on fast days then have a snack like a cup of soup or boiled egg or veggies then for dinner I usually have a slim noodle stir fry with tuna and lots of veggies. I’ve been finding this very effective so far and I have been able to workout on fast days also with no dizziness, in fact I think I can lift heavier on fast days sometimes! I am fasting every Monday and then either Wed, of Thurs depending on the social calendar. πŸ™‚ My goal is to lose another 5-8kg then go to maintenance mode 6:1. Here we go!

Ihaveawaist – your recent post is the most inspirational that I have seen on this forum so far because it shows us newbies just what can be achieved from this program over a period of time.

Many of us have lost a few kilos since we started (some of us haven’t yet but we’re not giving up), but none of us have yet witnessed the longer term benefits of this way of eating.

In addition to the wonderful weight loss, you have gained huge improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol, and a host of benefits in other areas as well.

Whenever I struggle in the future I will re read your post, and I know it will really inspire me to overcome whatever short term issues I am experiencing.

Well done and thank you.

Thanks so much Bacchus.

There are many others who’ve had great long term results, Charlie, purple vegie, Tim, Vicki, Melbourne Mum and so many others whose names I can’t recall. Here’s hoping they give us a shout to let us all know how they’re going.

One of the curious side effects that I’ve found in the last few weeks is that my very large goitre has apparently shrunken down to a healthy size …I’m not sure if it’s the 5:2 that’s responsible, but I’m one the waiting list to have a complete thyroid removal due to it’s once big size…but maybe I won’t be needing to, when I go see the doc again for my thyroid assessment and general check-up next year.

Has anyone found their thyroid so or thyroid function changing in a positive way while they are on 5:2? Some of the overseas sites mentioned people needing to lower their thyroid medication levels, as they lost weight, but I haven’t heard anything about it on this site.
    Cheers for now, the shrinking violet….hahaha!

Hi everyone

Prompted by IHAW’s invitation, here’s my summary:
    started 5:2 at the end of January 2014 when I went back to work after a month off, including Christmas πŸ™ and was the heaviest ever.

Since then, without any particular feelings of deprivation and with fasting 2 days/week except when a Public Holiday Monday intervenes, I have lost 11.2kg and 15cm from my waist. I didn’t measure anything else but have noticed my rings and watch band are looser and I have gone down a size and a bit in underwear. My shoes are also looser, which is a bit weird.

Additionally my bp has improved to the point where my GP recommended I drop to half a tablet daily with a view to stopping completely in due course.

I am 68 and still work 0.6 at a job I love and when the topic of ages arose wrt Super, my colleagues were astounded to find out I’m at least 10 years older than their estimate. My PT at weights last week finally asked me what I had been doing because he had noticed over a few weeks that I was looking ‘trim’ and energetic. Of course I sang the praises of IF.

I still have a long way to go to return to pre-meno weight of <55kg but don’t see any reason why it can’t happen. Like IHAW I now don’t mind looking in the mirror – my skin is brighter and my hair, which I have never coloured, is glossy and thick and I have so much more energy since I stopped carting around the equivalent of 22 blocks of butter.

So you see, if I, who detested and failed at every diet I’ve tried in the past 15 years (until this WOL) then you can do it too. This is a race this turtle is going to win, with the bonus that my skin will keep up, as well as improving my overall health. Thanks Dr M!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Hi All,
    Wow!! I don’t get on for 2 days and there is so much to read. Thank you all for your stories of success I just love reading it all. This is my 2nd week of 5:2 and I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 1kg. I have taken my measurements and I will measure those every 2 weeks I think. I’m loving this WOL and my soon to be hubby who accidentally fasted yesterday lol due to being so busy lost 1.5kg when he weighed himself this morning……maybe this will be the encouragement he needs to fast another day this week…..lol…..who knows.

Go Ihaw and Nicky. Little champions in every sense of the word.
    Follow their sage advice…they have a lot of 5:2 experience between them.
    Went to the doc this week to confirm that I am officially off bp drugs. Woohoo! P πŸ™‚

Hi all fellow fasters and congrats to those who are weathering the storm and losing weight. Too early for me to tell. Tomorrow is day 2 of week 2. Got up the courage to weigh after day 3 (chicken that I am) and was mildly surprised that I was not as heavy as I thought (or perhaps, perhaps lost a little??). So maybe only 8 kgs to lose! As usual, I am struggling to find recipes that I would be happy to eat! Sick of salad already. Doesn’t augur well does it. Could someone please advise whether baked beans (carbs but low GI I believe) are acceptable. Don’t really like them, but on a fast day perhaps they could be useful. One small can is 740kg. Of course, no toast! Arghh. Can’t get out to shop tomorrow, so it’s poached chicken and salad for dinner AGAIN if the answer is no. Would appreciate any suggestions. Keep your encouraging posts coming – they are uplifting.

Hi Shosanna, any beans, whether baked beans, chic peas, red kidney beans or butter beans, etc, are wonderful sources of protein and fibre! They are regarded as ‘legumes’, which are full of goodness and relatively good carb-wise….I would be eating these in heaps of ways. Soups, casseroles, in salads, or blended up with lemon juice, olive oil and garlic creating yummy dips.

A simple can of baked beans is one of the culinary wonder foods, according to my husband. He lived on them for many years as a poor vegetarian surfing student. Never underestimate baked beans for being all things to all who eat them….filling, yummy, fibre and protein rich and most of all cheap!

IHAW Thank you for your prompt reply to my plea. Tomorrow’s menu is now sorted. Will either have spinach omelette or scrambled eggs with a tomato for dinner. I have been trying to combine only low cal items from the calorie section of MM’s book. Guess I’ll learn to branch out and use my own sense re foods. Not a big eater of rice, pasta or potatoes anyway and don’t usually eat more than one slice of handmade home baked sourdough bread per day. So don’t eat too many carbs that way. Unfortunately cooking is my ‘happy place’ mainly making homemade breads, cakes, etc. Since I retired quite a while ago, if I make it, I have to eat it. Can’t fatten up work colleagjes any more! Mind you, a cake, stored in the fridge can last me more than a week or 2! Onwards we go. You are an inspration to all newbs.

NickyF and Ihaveawaist thanks for taking time to reply to my question. It’s trully inpiring! And to everyone for their positivity! Im gonna keep on going and think of all the good things this program brings on to my journey.
    Fast day tomorrow and I have Mimi’s fish pie on the menu from the Fast Recipe….
    Challenging weekend ahead for us, Bunbury Soccer Festival… Try and stay away from too much snacky food and bbq… Wish me luck! πŸ™‚

Purple, such good news on bp meds. A just reward for all your hard work and focus.

PINARS, the beauty of this way of living is that social occasions can be negotiated without complete derailment. If you like, you can eat lightly in the next two days so y can enjoy participating in your soccer weekend and resume fasting as usual next week.

Well, three weeks today for me and my weight loss to date is 3.5kg. I actually feel like it has been just 6 days (the fast ones’) of actual dieting thus far. I like many others wish 5:2 had been discovered long ago my modern western culture when I think back to the myriad of diets That I have tried and struggled with over the years….

It is interesting to read some of the positive ‘side effects’ people have been documenting on the forum. It really is remarkable. I would like to add some of the things I have noticed over the past three weeks that I contribute to 5:2’s influence:

Firstly, my wife has joined the diet with me. On fast days she is unbearable to live with. I am seriously thinking about setting up a man cave to hide in. However, none of my mates wives will let them provide this service. The last fast day (Monday) coincided with her regular bout of PMS. I did not eat at all that day….I was too busy hiding all the kitchen knives till breakfast Tuesday morning.

Secondly, my children have decided that there is a great game to be had on fast days and look forward to them immensely. The game is called “lets see who can break dad’s spirit”. At any other time the smallest fragment of chocolate, biscuit or lolly is swept down upon like a biblical tale of destruction by one of the 5 kids. So much so we rarely have to vacuum the floors. However, fast days brings a constant procession of ‘little feet’ to me bearing gifts of ‘sweaty Tim Tams, rows of dark chocolate and palms of mixed lollies….I am starting to think we actually run a subsidiary of Willie Wonkers Chocolate Factory within our pantry.

Thirdly, the contraceptive qualities of 5:2 cannot be underestimated (see point one above).

Fourthly, I think I am looking far more attractive to the opposite sex, my hair is thickening up again on my head and receding on my back, the family dogs have started to respond to my ‘colourful’ rants about doing their business anywhere but under the clothesline and I have not had to mow the lawns once in the past 3 weeks. This fact was delivered to me by my teenage son during one of his ‘moments’ of ‘divine sarcastic knowledge’ where he knows everything about everything’ (a remarkable feat for someone that takes no interest in the world around him!).

Now that’s a diet!

I will be fasting tomorrow and reminding my family that ‘although vengence comes in many forms the best comes in a moment of impulsive madness where rationality leaves the body. I am then going to mumble something about going to the next social function we all have to attend dressed in nothing more than a loin cloth and an apple stuffed in my mouth (All 90 calories of it)!

Bigkahuna πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Thanks for a great start to a fast day! Cheers P

Ooops…cooking chickpeas for tomorrow. Forgot it was a fast day and tested one. I wonder how many cals there are in one chickpea πŸ˜‰

Haha purple….one chickpea does not a mountain make…..hope it was cooked through, those babies can be buggers to digest when they’re still hard!

Don’t sweat the small stuff, especially the lone chickpea! Happy fasting all!

Nice one BKD. A tricky act to follow.
    Just checking in and letting you all know I’m getting back on track after I totally pigged out during the holidays. I think I ate more than the kids!
    Anyway, for all the lovely newbies, here’s my 5:2 experience.
    Began in March 2014 weighing 72.4kg BMI 30.13. 6 months later I cracked the healthy weight range 59.6kg BMI 24.81 Yippee!!! I had a minibreak in the school hols and have just popped back up to the overweight range, but I’m back fasting, and I know that this is just a little blip.
    I’ve lost 12cm from my waist, 13cm from my bust, and 12cm from my hips. Cm also lost from my legs, neck and arms.
    I have 3 kids and find it quite easy to slot this WOE into family life. On fast days I just have one meal at dinnertime. I started out with miso soup with tofu for lunch then a small dinner, but once my body was used to fasting I found it better to have just dinner. I did buy Mimi’s recipe book, and have cooked a couple of things from it, but generally I use My Fitness Pal for calorie info and adapt my regular meals. I started out logging everything I ate as I needed to really understand what my TDEE looks like on a daily basis – if I already knew that I wouldn’t have been overweight in the first place. Now I just log everything for a week every so often to keep myself honest.
    Exercise has never been fun for me, so other than trying to increase my daily activity (a toddler helps) I have not “worked out” and still lost 13kg.
    I still enjoy “wine night” and bread, pasta and rice, chocolate and Ginger Nuts. Just not on fast days, and in smaller portions.
    My skin is clearer.
    I do find it difficult to get to sleep on fast days, and use a yoga guided meditation called Yoga Nidra to help with that. It has quite a profound effect on my general wellbeing.
    I love 5:2. It is the easiest “diet” I’ve ever done, and I’m not counting the kg until I can stop and life can “get back to normal”. This is normal now. My body feels more alive. Life is good.

No, what is interesting, ihaw, is that I normally don’t eat at all until dinner. I usually don’t feel hungry at all any more. One chickpea at 8.30 and I now feel really hungry. Somebody referred to it as “waking the hungry monster”. I agree. Trouble is I have to cook up a storm today so I keep going out and doing a bit more gardening to avoid the smells of cooking. C’est la vie. P

Morning everyone, wow it’s been busy around here! Thanks for the update posts, so inspirational and motivitng for us newbies. I have finished my fasts for the week so had a quick jump on the scales this morning and my BMI is down to 24.73. Very pleased with this and I’m sure my organs are too πŸ™‚

Well done, Jenklar….keep it up πŸ™‚ P

Awesome work Jenklar! πŸ™‚

Good morning SH mates.

Good work Jenklar and BKD.

Had usual PT-supervised weights session after work yesterday. Recorded new PB for overhead press of 12.5kg (each hand). Have been lifting 17.5kg each hand for bicep curls but now glad to have left the ladylike πŸ˜‰ shiny weights and graduated to what I mentally called the “boys’ weights”. Even if it seems like unwarranted bragging, this old gran is very pleased with herself.

Also had 3month assessment and body fat% gone down another 7% and weight loss 4.2kg, so despite gradually lowering my TDEE, I’m losing at a slightly greater rate than the 1kg/month I set myself initially. My knee flexion has also improved by 2o, so have improved on orthopod’s gloomy prediction that what it was at 12 months post-op is the best I could hope for.

Now celebrating with coffee and small slice of strawberry tart OH brought home for me yesterday after his morning tea at Bracegirdles with our daughter and grand-daughter.

Keep up the good work all – you keep me inspired.

Hi all. Well I haven’t been able to access this site for a couple of days and I missed it. Reading everyones posts is so inspirational.Even with such a busy day on Tuesday I was still able to stick to my fast without too much trouble, (I am pretty proud of myself) planning out meals really helped. Chicita thankyou for the recipes I will certainly try them. I am on my fourth fast day and are feeling really positive, I am becoming a real fan of this WOL. I am really surprised by how good my mood is on fast days, and when I feel good, I do good. In the past when I didn’t get the results I wanted from a diet, I would start to feel bad about myself and would eventually give up.I would be thinking, why do all this for no result, but this time around I know that even if the scales don’t go down, I am still improving my overall health, so there is no negatives. Oh and Bigkahunadad, I love your posts, you make my day.

Well done Keirra.

I think improved mood is one aspect many IF practitioners have noticed but a very difficult aspect to quantify.

Maybe something to do with a feeling of being in control? At long last for some of us.

NickyF you deserve to be proud of yourself! Fantastic work! I bet that strawberry tart tasted extra delicious today.

Second day of fasting in my second week & not too sure if I just haven’t drank enough water but I have a headache. So I think a couple of quick glasses are in order.
    I am finding I am looking a food all the time & noticing the smells of anything cooking…..I know it is only making me stronger but it doesn’t help my husband & kids cooked cookies & brownies last night….Only 16hrs more till breakfast, then I can sample the brownies.
    All the best to everyone else who is fasting & just think “it’s all for the good”.

Happy Fasting πŸ™‚

Afternoon all!

Happy fasting day to those who are doing so today, and congrats to all those wonderful bods that have reduced or flicked altogether bp meds… well done! And Nicky congrats on the weights! I so know what you mean about the ‘big boys weights’! Go you! BKD you make me laugh! Thankfully I haven’t had anyone flashing chocolate at me so far on a FD, although my daughter in a mad dash to not miss the school bus this morning shoved her half eaten avocado on toast in my hand on the way out the door… I loovvvee avocado! But NOT today!

I’m finding fasting much easier today as I made it to 2pm today before I ate anything, and was actually feeling ok, but figured I’ve got bootcamp at 5, so I probably should eat something! Amazing how much you can appreciate an apple πŸ™‚

Had PT this morning and felt much better in regards to exercising on a FD than the other afternoon, I think my mood was much improved and it was a session that I really enjoyed. Will be interesting to see how I go this afternoon, am planning on having a banana and an egg before I go, rather than the protein shake, as milk bouncing around in my tummy on a warm spring afternoon will not go down well me thinks πŸ™‚

Have been doing a lot of pondering re numbers… after getting weighed and measured at boot camp the other arvo, I put my numbers in the tracker and was quite dismayed to be told by numbers that I’m obese :-/ I don’t feel obese, and I don’t believe I look like I’m obese… and maybe that stems from being a much larger person in the past… 2 years ago when I weighed in at 99kg at 5’2″ I could accept that I was obese… but I was also incredibly unfit. Does anyone else have trouble with the numbers messing with their head?

I just know that it’s taken me 43 of my 45 years to start feeling good about myself… I still like what I see in the mirror, even at 79.9kg, and wanting to get the extra kg’s off is more about being healthier than looking different… running a half marathon, which my obese self did about 4 weeks ago, will be much easier when I’m a bit lighter, and my knees (and my heart) I’m sure will be very greatful. It’s one of the reasons I stay off the scales.. when I eat well, train hard and feel good, I don’t like a number to tell me I’m failing, so I stopped getting on the scales and decided to just run with feeling good. I can totally accept that as individuals we need to take responsibility for our health etc. but I know when I’m putting on weight because of the food I’m consuming and there’s less room to move in my clothes… which is how I arrived at 5:2, so totally excited that I could stay healthy AND drop the added kilos WITHOUT feeling deprived and/or guilty.

Some days its just such a mental battle, and as a teacher, I see kids as young as 7 and 8 worrying about whether they’re fat, and their level of emotional resilience is tied to how they appear to others. And the flip side of that is seeing young kids who are genetically blessed with slim/athletic builds hassling the crap out of others that don’t fit their ‘ideal’ mould. Slender does not necessarily = healthy. I actually watched MM’s full documentary yesterday as I had only seen snippets of interviews on TV, and he’s the prime example… he is not a man that appeared overweight at all (not to me anyway, actually thought he was quite cute and healthy looking :-), and his quest started in search of prolonging his health, not his waist line!

Ok, I’ll get off my soap box now πŸ˜‰ Feel free to throw your two bobs worth in!

Hang in there kerm222! You are totally right! It’s all for the good! And brownie’s for brekky sounds awesome πŸ™‚

Best wishes to everybody fasting tomorrow (Friday) as I am. Very much looking forward to a couple of glasses of wine on Saturday. Hope you all have a good weekend.

Hi Shelloui, I read what you said with interest and will ‘throw my hat in the ring’ so to speak. Firstly, I read what you said about ‘the mental battle’ and food. As you said (and many others before you) 5:2 works because we do not feel the sense of ‘deprivation’ that other diets ‘prescribe’. Think about it…food is so much apart of who we are. Cultures (indeed even restaurants) are based upon foods that tie us or entise us to different countries.

Added to this, nowhere is the emotional psychological attachment greater than with food. You smell it, look at it, touch it, taste it and even at times hear it within the one experience. Pulling my Science background out of the cupboard, food is such a ‘strong sensual trigger’. Remember summer afternoons eating watermelon with friends, Nan cooking pies, Mum cooking the Sunday roast or sharing a meat pie with Pop at the footy? You get the idea. It not only sustains us, it defines us, our past, our families, our memories and comforts us back to those times.

Using myself as an example, I see food as merely ‘something that fills the hole’ so have no strong love of food. Those of you that are ‘passionate’ will be appauled. I am not fussy however. But, I am an ’emotional comfort eater’. So, I have no affinity towards food but it is the first thing I turn to in times of mental anguish…evidencing how strong the bond actually is.

The one phrase I am hearing on the forum and with others I am doing 5:2 with is “it is only till tomorrow”. This is what makes 5:2 sustainable. We do not have to try and ‘rewire’ brains that have ‘food’ and its associations hard wired into us as individuals.

All ‘body indexes’ of weight ranges and healthy weights are based on imperical standards established by medicine and science and tend to be a ‘concoxion of best averages’ generally. I spent many years working in gyms and have seen some bizzare extremes where these simply do not apply. Eg. A guy that ‘looked obese’, weight 100kg plus but had the ‘measured’ cardio vascular fitness of an athlete and did the ironman triathlons to prove it…go figure. He also had great bloods….

As to genetics…My wife is 166cm, weighs 53kg, looks under weight, has the genetics that makes her look like an elite athlete (despite minimal exercise) but suffers from boarderline high cholesterol and predisposed to type 2 diabetes. She is doing 5:2 purely for the ‘internal benefits’.

I spent some time around elite athletes ‘back in the day’. It was amazing how these ‘finely tuned machines’ were suseptible to injury doing basic activities. When they were at their ‘peak’ MANY actually felt ‘rotten, exhausted and generally in poor health’ off the training track. Those involved in the training of athletes, PT’s included will say “there is a big differnce between being healthy and being fit”. Mere mortals like us confuse the two. Fitness in itself lies along a continum with ‘morbidly unhealthy’ at one end and “extreme elite fitness” at the other. Michelle Bridges would not qualify at this level. It is interesting to look at the physiques of female elite cyclists or marathon triathletes. Sometimes their ‘looks’ defy their profession.

So, herein lies the world of delemma for us ‘weight conscious’ warriors….what do we believe? I admit I have (at 30yrs of ‘experience’ in the ‘battle’) come to my own conclusion. The bath scales and the memory at what weight I feel/felt great in myself to take on the world, can do a couple of hours every second day riding my road bike with a few pretty keen mates, look ‘normal’ and lead an active family life. I will tell you now it sits ‘just’ outside of where all the ‘charts’ tell me ‘I should be’ in terms of weight….on the ‘heavy’, “borderline obese” side.

Such a long post sorry guys…Also, put my ‘serious’ hat on for a change today so sorry to those dissappointed in lack of humour above. Will rectify next week.

Go BKF

Put any hat on, it’s great to see the shades of grey coming out. It makes for an interesting human being. No pressure to amuse us each day. πŸ™‚

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

That is soooo cool Ihaveawaist!! Well done – you deserve to feel fantastic because you have done it all yourself and put in the hard work!!! πŸ™‚

While I am hear – I will have a bit of a brag – after 2 months (on sunday) of doing the 5:2 I have lost 5.5kg!!! So excited and happy. I have gone from 75 to 60.6 today (so 100 g short of 5.5) but I think I can still count that.

Planning is sooo important for fast days – especially if you have young children and need to cook for them. They are supportive of me which is great as I am a single mum with no partner and so I need their support and of course friends are coming along for the ride!

I think it will be easier in the summer too because we all like to put on a simple dress and look good! Also the swimming costume!!! πŸ™‚

I exercise and walk my dog most days (brisk walking) and i find that if i need to eat on a fast day in the morning, I do, then I just know I can’t later (or I have less cals in the kitty). I think you need to feel okay on the fast day – which isnt always possible, especially if you are pre-menstrual.

Anyhow I will stop raving – but keeping going fellow travellers. It is sooo worth it and such a great diet. Not really a diet – way of life! πŸ™‚

Hi everyone – love reading all your posts. They are so encouraging – and it’s exciting to see all your success stories and great tips to help against those inevitable gremlins.

I started on the 25th doing the Alternate Day fasting so have done 8 fast days, two of which didn’t go too well at the end of the day.

I have no scales at home but did take some measurements, so here’s my brag. Have lost
    Bust 0.5cm
    Hips 2.5cm, and
    Waist 12.5cm
    Was 71.9kg this morning … Am guessing I’ve lost some 3kg but my clothes are my measure.

And thanks so much for someone’s hint – the Slendier rice/noodles are a real life saver at only 10 calories!

Keep up the good work!

Well done AlisonRoss and JenniQ!

BKD thanks again for sharing.

Shelloui I’ve been wondering how to respond to your post. I’m very impressed at your fitness level. I can’t imagine ever doing a 1/2 marathon, whatever I weigh! The “numbers” are guides, and sometimes a wake up call, but they also need to be put in perspective with all our other risk factors. I don’t know if you saw the recent series on ABC (I think) of the “Men that Made us Fat/Thin” etc. It was a fascinating series and worth checking out on iView. (It might have been SBS) Anyway, one episode did show how important fitness was in the mix of factors, and that being fit was far more important to your health than being thin. I’m neither thin nor fit πŸ˜‰ I am finding I enjoy moving my body more now that it’s smaller.
    It’s unfortunate that our size is what everyone can see, and people like to comment on that, without any knowledge of what’s going on inside the body.
    I hope you find your own way to successfully 5:2. I’m looking forward to following your progress.

Actually there is disagreement among experts on this point.

“….being fit was far more important to your health than being thin.”

Even MM said of a person jogging down the road that she was wasting her time in his exercise program. Certainly if you compare an obese but very fit person to some who is slim and of average fitness, i think the latter would win in health stakes over the longer term. Ie their chances of dying from lifestyle factors would be less. I think the reasons for this might be that that a diet so high in calories that it keeps you obese, so far outweigh the benefits of a strong heart, muscles and bones. Consider the case of sumo wrestlers for example.

“Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male. Many develop diabetes, high blood pressure, and are prone to heart attacks.” I just got that off google.

But it (the men who made us fat etc) is an excellent series and you can watch it on you tube.

Hi Sassy, I am having a knee replacement on November 3rd. Yeah!
    Really need a couple of kilos done beforehand.
    BMI is 36 so that’s not good.
    I had a gastric sleeve done in December 2012 and list 25 kilos which I was rapt in.
    Bing goes the knee and back comes 8 kilos from lack if activity leading to boredom and hence too much grazing.
    I need to stay on track so will also be obsessive on here.
    Looking forward to the journey.
    I saw the 5:2 on a TV current affairs show in Sydney.
    Cheers,
    AussieGirl63

Hi Sassy,
    I had a gastric sleeve done in December 2012 and lost 25 kilos which I was rapt in.
    Bing goes the knee and back comes 8 kilos from lack if activity leading to boredom and hence too much grazing.
    I need to stay on track so will also be obsessive on here.
    Looking forward to the journey.
    I saw the 5:2 on a TV current affairs show in Sydney.
    Cheers,
    AussieGirl63

Thanks NickyF, what an inspiration you are.
    Cheers,
    AussieGirl64

Viewing 50 posts - 3,051 through 3,100 (of 28,032 total)

You must be logged in to reply.