Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,916 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 3 hours, 46 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,351 through 2,400 (of 28,020 total)

• Well done, IHAW, congratulations. I love reading your posts. Keep having fun! Bay 🙂

Thin at last, what is turka dahl?

Go out to a movie. See two back to back. And then come home, go to bed. Arrive at the last minute so that you don’t have time to go and buy food when you get your ticket. Or better yet, get your ticket on line so you can miss the whole view at the cash register.

Don’t work too hard on the cleaning. You might work up an appetite. What about a jigsaw puzzle. or some light gardening.

I’m fasting today. Slept all morning, and then went out to pottery this afternoon – which is like weightlifting but certainly kept my mind off my tummy. Tonight i’m just frittering the time on the computer and tv but i might cook a beetroot soup for tomorrow night if i can find a nice recipe. I’m fasting again tomorrow and want to go to a local festival. I”m taking a salad with me. And maybe a bit of fruit for the ride home which is when i am usually thinking about food and feeling hungry. All that walking about will give me an appetite.

Hi All!!

I can’t believe how busy the forum gets when I don’t check in for a couple of days.

I TOTALLY splurged on Friday but oh well. I’m on a fast day and just had taco mince with heaps of veggies. I had rice crackers and a huge latte. I tend to eat about 800 on fast days but I also do 4 fast days a week. Just tweaking it to suit me. I LOVE that I can do that.

So sorry to hear about your hospitalisation, Tim. I do hope you recover quickly. This ‘flu that is going around is really knocking people around.
    Look after yourself, mate. P x

Tim, that’s not good at all. I hope you gave the nurses lots of cheek. I’m glad the local hospital has had some refurbishment.

Sorry to hear you’re unwell, Tim. Do get well soon.

Pattience: thanks for the support and the tips on keeping busy. As it turned out, ‘life’ intervened to keep my mind off feeling hungry and I never saw your post because OH had a bit of an incident and I had to call an ambulance, so with all the ensuing activity here and then at the hospital, it was already 2am before I remembered I was hungry. Then I recalled a post I read here from someone who was getting up at midnight on the fast day to eat chocolate biscuits and wondering if that was OK! Looking at the contents of the vending machines though, I realised hunger was a more attractive option. Not a recommended way to keep your mind off fasting but, all is well and, instead of fasting, OH will now spend Fathers’ day in hospital.

Turka Dahl is a simple lentil dish, dead easy to make, just a few ingredients that we all have available, very nourishing and filling. You can make it up in bulk and freeze portions sizes in freezer bags. There’s a variation in ‘the bible’ which I know you’re reading now. I love lentils, high protein, low fat.

Sounds like you have a busy life – where are you located? (probably already told us but too many posts to look through and you haven’t filled in your profile yet). Good luck with your day 2 fast, I’m heading to the kitchen now…….

Hi thn,
    sorry to hear about your hospital incident, hope everything’s going to be ok with you and yours…on a side note, just be gentle with yourself and remember this 5:2 is something you choose to do when you can, not because you must….and also I agree that any kind of Dahl is a brilliant food choice; being healthy, filling and tasty!

Good luck with everything, I hope things start looking up soon.

Thanks so much IHAW, all will be fine. It’s pretty scary when someone collapses unresponsive but it’s related to a kidney infection supposedly already being treated by GP, not the more alarming heart attack/stroke, etc. Paramedics are wonderful people, aren’t they?

Oh thin, how scary!

It was good you were at hand to get things rolling, even though you’d rather not see someone you love and care for hurting and so vulnerable. I agree that our ambos are brilliant and we’d certainly be lost without their professional care and experience.

Please remember to take good care of yourself, as well as your loved ones. As I’m sure they need you to stay healthy and strong at such a stressful time. Keep hydrated, eat some fruit and nuts if you can’t manage a big meal, and try and get some rest.

Thinking of you, love K xx

So kind, thanks so much!

Dear oh dear SHers! Turn my back for a bit and dramas all round (almost).

Tim, I was going to say take care of yourself but of course your wonderful medical staff are doing that. Lap it up and get well soon. This flu is laying people low all over the country. Happy Fathers Day.

Thin, you’re the one who needs to take care of yourself so you can look after your OH. Such a scary thing! I hope it’s soon under control.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Thanks for your concern NickyF, really kind of you. I’m really fine. I only mentioned it to let Pattience know I’d managed to keep my mind off fasting! On the funny side, OH was clutching a full bottle of OJ when he went down – just to give you a mental picture of the scene – paramedics arrive to find man face down in 2 litres of orange juice. Quite a sticky workplace for them in the narrow confines of hallway into kitchen. Toy poodle thought two more people had come to play with him and wanted to explore contents of new toy box. Me apologising profusely; they assured us there was much worse to come as the evening was young and they’d spend the rest of the night dealing with drunks in Perth’s nightspot, Northbridge. Hats off to all our wonderful ambos.

Hi everyone thanks so much for all your thoughts. They really do mean a lot.

IHW, I wish, I had a rapier/repartee mind set.( sorry,sorry, must accept complements! ) It could have saved me many times!

PVE, I will be disappointed when you return home as it has been a delight to check each morning to read the latest exploits.

I have found it interesting, not being wildly excited about exercise, that after a week +, that I am missing the daily ExBike grind but am not fretting about it. Thats something else I have learnt from our group.

Cheers,
    Tim.

…As i was saying before the power went out, Thin, glad you got through your day ok. And i hope hubby gets better quickly. Good story about the OJ.

I’ve been running about all day on my fast day. This meant i ended up taking on a few extra calories to keep me going.

Tonight i had to bake a cake for someone’s birthday tomorrow. I barely licked a tsp of mixture from the bowl. That’s pretty good going for me. Though i don’t think i should cook cakes often. It focuses the mind on the wrong sorts of food. But i was at a festival in the middle of the day and managed to avoid falling prey to all the food there.

When shopping this afternoon, i bought mini quiche/pie tins so that i can make tarts and but only just one. That way i won’t be able to overeat them. I think its only risky with the cheesy ones like i made the other day and ate half of. I am not sure if i reported that here. I can also make pastry-less quiches now too. Though i guess it becomes frittata without the pastry.

Today i also bought a pedometer. Everyone says they make you move more.

That all sounds good Pattience – except a possible tut tut about taking extra cals to supplement a busy day! Thanks for the good wishes. All’s calm at our house tonight. I have to make brownies for morning tea on Tuesday. I know what you mean about licking out the bowl. My walking buddy uses a pedometer. Makes her walk more at work which is good.

Have a good week everyone, I’ll be checking in on my weigh-in day – Thursday.

So how do you decorate a cashew nut cake for a birthday? I have to do it tomorrow morning so i hope to see some ideas when i get up tomorrow. Yikes. Why did i choose this type of cake. I wanted to make a coconut cake. I had my decoration all worked out for that.

Hi Thin

Glad to hear your OH is feeling better and things have calmed down again. All the best. Bay

This Monday was the first week I haven’t had the scales go down. Instead they went up to 67.7 (last week was 65.9) 🙁

A bit disappointing but I know if I just keep going I’ll be fine. It’s a fast day for me here. I’m doing a fast day on Tues & Thurs this week so I don’t need to worry about fasting over the weekend.

Hi Chicita, are you eating at your tdee on non-fast days? Maybe you need to reduce your cals on those days a little.

How often do you weigh yourself?

Hi Pattience. No I’m not eating at my TDEE on every single feed day. Probably only on two of the four. I did about 4 hours of walking last week though so I’m a bit disappointed. But I’m fasting again today & Thursday and I’m going to do 19:6 on as many feed days as possible. My weight this morning was down to 66.5 so that’s not as bad. Maybe I was carrying water weight?

How are all of you going? It’s quiet in here 😉

Good morning all.

Fasting today and Thursday this week as went to Royal Adelaide Show with grandchildren yesterday – just a few indulgences 😉

Hi Nicky. How is your fast day going? It’s 12:15 here (SA). Instant coffee & water generally gets me through to about 1 or 2 or even 3. Then I tend to eat dinner at 5pm (I have a 5 year old so that works well) and have a little snack before going to bed.

I’m lucky today because I have a doctor’s appt at 2 so that’ll keep me away from food until school pick up 😉

Morning SHs
    I’m giving up fasting until I’m home on Thursday. Started well yesterday but after another cuppa at midday I suddenly felt nauseous. Never happens normally. Had to find a take away with Vegie patty to feel better. This is when fasting and travel is hard. I would normally be able to grab an Apple. Ah well. Flexibility is the key to this wol. There is always another day. No sweat. 🙂
    Happy fasting anyone who is today. P

Hi all,

I’ve just started fasting – 2 days down but not weighing in until after this weeks fast day. At the moment the forum seems a good way to have support because I’m not telling everyone around me (apart from family obviously) that I’m fasting – it’s easier for me to focus and nobody will be checking how I’m getting on during work days when I’m not eating.

I’m in Victoria (Australia) so just coming out of winter now. In spite of my normal cravings for hearty food I’ve found the fast days to be surprisingly easy. The only thing that bothers me is the black coffee – it keeps me going but is way too bitter. Hopefully I’ll get used to it over time.

Looking forward to seeing how other Southern Hemispherites go in the countdown to a warm Christmas.

I just had an early dinner. I am SO full! I made a salami pasta sauce for my DD & DH. It has 200ml of cream in it. A single serve has 770 cals. I had 1/3 of a serve on top of a whole box of (cooked) frozen spinach. All for about 300 calories. I’m so excited I’ve found another meal for myself 🙂

Hi Moulin. Welcome! I find it so motivating to have this forum. Some fast days are harder than others but this is by far the easiest & most enjoyable way of losing weight I’ve ever tried. I have about 40ml of low fat milk in each of my coffees & I have anywhere between 2-5 cups a day. For me the coffee enables me to curb the hunger & keep doing this WOE. It’s about 25 cal per coffee.

Hi all,
    wow, so much has been happening for everyone!
    Hope you’re recovering well Tim, and your OH is too, TAL.
    Welcome to those newer than me (I’ll be fasting for the 7th time tomorrow).
    Pattience I meant an approximation of the calorie content of your yummy recipes would be great…I thought you might have a pretty good idea though, as a veteran, no need to look them up. Sounds like this week’s been a bit better for you. That tart sounds irresistible, so good idea to get the small forms…or next time invite people to help you eat it.

I’ve rediscovered lentils too…the portions don’t have to be quite so small and are actually filling. Will be cooking some tomorrow with tomatoes and spices. Very simple and it’s good to have something warm.

Happily the scales have gone back down again (staying below 80!!), after increasing last week…my pants are even getting loose – yay! I was beginning to think I’d never experience that again before I started this WOE.
    I think I’m also eating less and more consciously on my eating days too, so overall a really positive experience.

Still haven’t tried fasting on a day I’m not working. My last fast day was hard, I think because I started work later and was really hungry at 1, when I would normally have started. Going to an amazing café was maybe not the best idea, but I was strong and only had a coffee (and went and had one of their amazing breakfasts today! 😉
    As so many others have said, knowing that you can indulge seems to be one of the aspects of this WOE which makes it so doable.

Keep up the good work everyone,
    Sue

Hi Moulin, I cannot see the point of drinking black coffee on a fast day or any other day unless you like it that way. Ditto coffee with low fat milk. The calories in milk in coffee are so worth their weight. I can’t understand the need to deprive oneself of this nutritious and delicious drink. If you want a calorie free drink, try hot water. I quite like it and i know someone who only drinks hot water and no coffee or tea at all.

If you want to be benefit by going into fat burning mode, then you need your overall calories for the day to be low as in fasting so that you run out of carbs in your system. If you’ve eaten 1600 or whatever the day before you will probably not run out of glycogen unless you go from there into a fast day. Its partly because of this aspect that i like to do two day fasts.

To maximise fat burning, i would suggest starting your fast early on the day before the fast (day 1) maybe finish dinner by 6pm and have nothing after and continuing the fast for two days (days 2 and 3) and finishing with breakfast of the fourth day. you should at least have exhausted glycogen stores by the end of day 2 and from then on you’ll be burning mostly fat. And again don’t eat up hugely on the pre fast day because glycogen can sit around in your system for up to 72 hours waiting to be used up before being made into fat.

If you follow this system, you will find you are not particularly hungry because once you go into fat burning mode, you body had enough energy to run on. Just keep your fluids up.

Probably the best day for eating lots of carbs would be the day or two following the fast (after a 2 day fast i mean).

I am adamant that two days is not harder than one day fasting because of the way fat burning affects your appetite. And i also find it psychologically easier.

Suetee, no i don’t know what the food is off the top of my head in calories. I look at it but never remember. I also adjust my portion size to whatever my calorie needs are. Yesterday i had to have two decent serves of paella for dinner to make it come up to 800 otherwise i’d be too low for the day.

Hi Suetee – Yaaaaaaay! Under 80!! And pants feel loose! Woooooooo hooooooo!

Pattience – I agree that 2 fast days in a row idn’t any harder. I generally fast Mon & Tues as it works for me socially/work wise.

I’m still stuck at a plateau above 66.0kg. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get into 65.x and stay there next week.

I’ll be fasting again on Thursday & Friday because this week it’s do-able for me as I’m super busy both days. Particularly Friday. I’m hoping that will break through this plateau.

Good morning SHers.

Tuesday FD bitten the dust with no problems. Fasting again tomorrow.

Suetee, well done for under 80 and looser pants!

CG, like you I usually fast Mondays and Tuesdays because it’s so much easier to do when I’m at work, busy and away from home. Two B2B is no harder than alternating although not sure whether breaking the fasting up is more or less effective. Thinking of you fasting again tomorrow with me. And you’re in Adelaide too – is that three or four of us?

Happy Wednesday all.

Hi all,
    yesterday was fd 5 and I woke with a throbbing headache this morning:( Does this happen to anyone else? It is almost like the body is throwing off toxins.

I indulged on Fathers day (we celebrated it on Monday as we all work weekends) and the scales are up this week only by a very little but no loss. Clearly I need to be a little stricter to keep losing. I have a celebration in October that I would like to be slimmer for so will be a little more diligent from here on in. I am finding it easier also to eat the same thing on fast days. A pork chop with greens then have a soak in the bath and an early night.
    I am keeping up my steps, though not everyday is seeing 10,000 but pretty darn close.

Keep on losing everyone!

Thanks ChikitaGatita and Pattience. Today is another fast day and my breakfast coffee was better with a little milk – worth a few calories. I don’t normally drink coffee during the day but on fast days when I haven’t had enough sleep, it’s the only thing that makes me alert when I hit that 2.30 lull.

Pattience, that’s interesting about watching food on pre-fast days too in order to reduce muscular glycogen stores. I’ll have a go at finishing eating earlier and see how much difference it makes.

Slightedge good on you for your 10 000 steps . I’m just starting to count mine. I’ve got a long way to go to get to 10 000.

anyway the headaches are caused by dehydration. You must drink more on fast days because you are not getting the water you usually get in your food. Adding a little salt helps too since more salt in your blood helps you retain water.

Moulin, worth a try i reckon.

I had lablabi for breakfast. Its a new tunisian breakfast dish made from chickpeas. Very tasty i must say. I mean new for me. I got the idea from stephanie alexander. It has chickpeas, chicken stock, an egg, piece of sourdough, some green herbs, and harissa spice. oh and capers. My version this morning left off the egg and i inserted some green lentils instead for a little more protein. I followed this up with paw paw and strawberries covered with peanuts, certain mixed seeds, and chia seeds.

Tonight i’m having leftover paella (not the best one i’ve ever made) and my steamed then sauté vegies. Though i might bring tonight on a few hours earlier and have it now at 2.20pm. lol. Then i’ll fast overnight. Unless i feel like a glass of wine later on maybe.

Hmm i better do something about my step count as well.

I had a glass of wine and half a block (!!!) of Mersey Valley cheese this afternoon with biscuits. Then the wine & some blue feelings led to me eating two little chocolates and 4 cookies!!!!! Agggggggggh! That’d have to be over my TDEE in that one emotional eating session. I’m making mushroom risotto for tea and I’m just going to have a teeny tiny taste. I’m not even hungry. I’m disappointed but unlike ‘diets’ (versus this WOL) I don’t feel ashamed and depressed and give up. I LOVE this WOL.

NickyF – Yes I’m in SA. I can’t remember who else is too other than us.

SlightEdge – the fact that you’re doing almost 10,000 steps many days is AWESOME! Keep up the good work x

Moulin – how has the rest of your fast day gone today?

Pattience – Would you like to come cook for me 😉

Nowadays i would never sit down to snack on cheese. If i have cheese, i either do it like the french and have it at the end of meal in a piece about 30grams but up to 40g if necessary. Its virtuous food because of its high calcium. So its not all bad chicita. Other way i eat cheese is crumbled or grated into one of my dishes or salads. When i was doing the low carb, i often ate a piece of cheese but when not on low carb, i mostly only eat cheese in my meals. This i find is a good way to be able to eat it without getting carried away.

Mushroom risotto would be nice. You should enjoy it and forget about the cheese indulgence. You will feel more satisfied and happy or have it for breakfast.

I used to always eat the same thing for breakfast (oats of weet bix) now i vary it every day.

Also i’ve made up a sort of menu template. My breakfast rotation goes like this:

eggs + anything (could be vegetables, fruit and yoghurt, toast, chickpeas)
    oats + anything (often with stewed fruit or dried fruit, seeds and milk)
    bread + anything (the idea was so i could have toast if i had a yearning for it, or with hummus, or something like that).
    chickpeas + anything (often in a soup form with fruit and yoghurt).
    fast
    fast
    lentils + anything (as above)
    And repeat

I can rearrange the order over a two week period if i want. I can add in other things and combine things but I like using this template. And of course i’ve often got leftovers of things so i’m never short of things to eat.

I’ve got a template for lunch/dinner too and the third meal if i want a third one would be leftovers.

This Main meal goes like this:
    tofu + anything
    pasta + anything
    polenta/couscous + anything
    chickpeas + anything
    Pastry + anything
    fish + anything
    seafood + anything
    rice + anything
    potato + anything
    asian noodles/bread + anything
    lentils + anything
    seafood + anything
    fish + anything
    bulgur wheat + anything

The anything is particularly vegetables but it can include anything i want. But with this template, i’m never short of variety and i don’t miss out on things while also not eating too much of anything (i used to just eat pasta every night practically). And it helps me think /find something new and interesting to cook for a meal. There’s supposed to be one in there for beans too. I don’t know what happened to it.

Thanks Pattience. I don’t normally snack on cheese either. I made the mistake of getting it out to share with my DH while we had a glass of wine & talked over some tricky subjects that plugged into emotional eating. And DH didn’t like the cheese so I ate all of it. The lucky thing is that I was so full (after doing 2 back to back fast days) that I really didn’t want dinner. I ate about 150 cals of risotto and I’m stuffed. I did the calorie counting and I think I’m only about 300 calories above my TDEE.

P.S. Pattience – where do you get all of your info re back to back fasting days, glucogen stores etc? I found your post about it really interesting.

Made it through another fast day. I got home from work and cooked dinner for the family but only had pasta planned so I had to make 2 meals. Normally I graze a little when I’m cooking but today I just had some carrot sticks and hummous before cooking 2 meals without having a nibble.

Managed with only one coffee today so no nasty bitter office coffee. My willpower is getting a workout but it’s a nice sense of achievement to get to the end of the day with success!

Well done Moulin! I find it easier to cook for the family on fast days when I have planned my own food too. Sometimes I eat something completely different, like soup, and other times, I have a modified version of the family meal, like the stir fry without the rice, or meat and veg without a spud. I usually try to have enough leftovers for me to enjoy the family meal (i.e. with the rice/potato/pasta) for lunch the following day.

I’ve been a bit complacent lately. I’m agonisingly close to my healthy weight range, but since I stopped logging calories on My Fitness Pal I’ve been pigging out on snacks. So it’s back to the tedious task of calorie counting for me 🙂 I’ve lost 12kg in 6 months, which I’m very proud of, and I don’t want to lose momentum now.

Morning losers!

Thanks for your good wishes bayleaf and suetee, all is well at our house now. OH on the mend. Well done on the scales suetee – and every one else doing so well.

Just completed my 8th fast day and I am pleased to report a 3.1 kg loss for my first month. Not such a dramatic loss this week but it serves me right as I have been eating things I normally wouldn’t dare to have – scones, cream and jam, brownies, etc. But being able to enjoy these treats without guilt and still lose 300gms is amazing. So I am very happy.

MelbourneMum: Congratulations on your loss. My success on fast days is also down to planning. I had all 8 fast days planned out so there’s no temptation to eat something on impulse. If it’s not on the list, it doesn’t pass our lips. For the family, I tend to do it the other way round – I modify what I’m having for them, by adding rice or extra portions, for example, to the meal I’ve planned for myself. Last night we had spicy butternut tagine which was hearty and filling; teen had hers with rice.

As for coffee, I just go without on fast days. I don’t enjoy it without milk and it’s not worth wasting the calories. I bought about 6 different Twinings tea varieties and have been enjoying trying a new taste experience; ginger & lemon and orange & cinnamon are my favourites. And I enjoy my coffee even more on the after-fast days like right now. Frothy, milky, very hot, mmmmm.

Have a great week everyone.

Thanks for the tip Pattience I thought I was drinking enough but clearly not.

*Whinge alert*

I have slept funny and my neck is giving me grief, turn a certain way and I am pulled up short by pain. Today is fd 2 for the week. I jumped on the scales yesterday 80.6 and again today 80.7 whichh is up from last weeks 80.1. This is nearly a kilo.

Of course husband is looking really good and the losses he is making are evident everywhere. All in all I feel like I want to cry. I was so sure this was the ‘thing’ that would finally help with this weight I have been carrying around!
    Sorry to be on a downer 😐

Good morning SH mates.

CG, I think CarolannFD is the other SA 5:2er and she has been in Canada recently so may not yet be home. Don’t beat your self up over the cheese, there’s always another day. This is a marathon not a sprint for most of us. I’ve found that on FDs I can’t have a ‘small snack’ because I don’t have the self-discipline to not turn it into a big snack so I just don’t start.

On the topic of menu planning, these days it’s just OH and me at home so definitely couldn’t be stuffed cooking two different meals. This is going to sound a bit anal but I have for many years done a weekly menu plan – a product of working full time and living at the time in a place where the shops closed at 5pm. Also only one planning effort required/week – I value efficiency! 😉

Face to face pages in my shopping book has on the left page in table format the menu laid out against the days along the top, comprehensive list of veg down the side. That way I can incorporate a wide variety of veg over the week before compiling my food shopping list on the RH page and ensure I don’t run out of anything. I do all the cooking, mostly because I really enjoy it – OH does the cleaning up, bless him.

I have shopping books (A5 size exercise books) dating back nearly 40 years which were the joke of the family. Now occasionally my daughter gets them out for ideas to feed her family. In one place we lived we did lots of entertaining of interstate visitors and the books also served as an entertaining diary to ensure I didn’t feed the CEO or similar bigwig the same ‘party piece’ I had used a year earlier.

Thinatlast – I also really enjoy my milky coffee on the first nonFD. On FDs I only drink unsweetened black tea (no hardship because that’s the way I always drink it) and lots of water.

Take heart slightedge, most of us find for no sensible reason that our weight goes up and down a bit, maybe due to hormonal fluid retention, despite faithfully following the eating plan.

You may find over time that your measurements change even though the scales are the same, or worse, show a higher reading. Someone on one of the threads (apologies that I can’t remember who) coined the terms the ‘trousers of truth’ vs the ‘scales of deceit’.

Thanks NickyF My clothes do feel looser. I like that phrase! Must remember to keep my chins up:)

slightedge: Chins up. That is so funny. Absolutely cracking up here in Perth. You’ll be OK. I suffer huge weight fluctuations and I know it is disheartening. As an obsessive weigher, I’ve noticed my weight goes up 300gms after the first fast day of the week. Strange, but overall it’s a loss. Give it a bit more time. Please keep whinging, you are hilarious.

Hi everyone, hope things are going well for you today. The weather here is sunny and not a breath of wind, so I’m happy!

Slightedge….sweetie, please, please don’t be hard on yourself! We all change shape and lose weight differently and you may need to start measuring other things rather than looking at the scales. Have you measured around your hips, thighs, bum and waist? How are your clothes fitting? How is your blood pressure? Take a close look at all all the small things you consume, write them down and calculate if there’s some extra sneaky calories coming in that you may not have thought to consider.

Also I know it’s hard, but don’t compare yourself to your husband, men lose weight relatively easily and women have a different metabolism and retain weight for different reasons. Just know that all will be ok if you stay calm and see this as a speed hump, rather than a mountain….it’s a slow journey after all!

Cheers and be kind to yourself!

“P.S. Pattience – where do you get all of your info re back to back fasting days, glucogen stores etc? I found your post about it really interesting.”

Chicita, i’ve been reading up on nutrition and stuff for a few years. I do it in bursts and each time i find out new and more interesting stuff. If I am curious about something, i just read a few articles on it, or read the odd book. I learnt about glycogen a few years ago.

But i actually started doing consecutive fasts because i thought that’s what one was supposed to do. I found i liked it. One week i did it separately because of my calendar and i found it harder. And i notice that the second day of a fast is really easy to carry on with and even waking up on the third day, i do not have a ravenous hunger. My experience with low carbing tells me why this is.

This year i did a stint of low carbing and read a couple of books. I find them more informative and easier to remember than websites. Doing my low carb thing, i could observe lots of things in my own body such as lower appetite, headaches and their cures. I think reading about low carbing would be useful for fasters. The low carb reads, refined a lot of what i thought i knew about glycogen and i’m still not 100% clear on some points. Doing my low carbing, i was really keen to avoid having to take vitamin and mineral supplements so it made me do a lot of extra reading of obscure things and make some choices to avoid the need of them. You see i try to avoid meat so it was a bit more critical for me going very low carb.

Low carb books and authors you might want to check out are: atkins, phinney and Volek and Gary Taubes. I ignore the paleo argument about prehistoric diets. That’s been contradicted quite convincingly. Also sports nutrition talks a lot about glycogen.

Also wikipedia is a good source of information. Its not as UNtrustworthy as some people like to make out. It has a lot of self-correcting elements. i.e. if someone writes a load of bollocks, others will come along and correct it.

I don’t take too seriously websites that seem to learn in the alternative way because i don’t trust them – they are usually trying to sell something, are enthusiastic amateurs or just people i tend not to see eye to eye with on much. I tend to seek out sources with more legitimate scientific credentials. And if i find conflicts in information that i can’t see my way through, i keep reading until i find a position that i feel ok with.

Thanks Melbournemum. 3 proper fast days down and I’ve lost about a kilo, which is a nice start. At the moment I’m find the fast days Ok, but tending to think too much about junk on the other days so not keeping the same self-control yet.

I’m Moulin and I’m addicted to cookbooks. I’ve recently got one of the Fast Diet cookbooks and I’m finding it quite useful as a quick reference to calorie-counted foods when my brain doesn’t want to think too hard, either on a busy morning before work/school craziness or after work dinner chaos.

The one thing I’m happy about so far is my family’s reaction to my decision to try fasting. My husband saw the Horizon program but decided it wasn’t for him because of his physical job, but he understands that it’s not a dieting fad. My kids just know that mum’s fasting and not eating much today, and the reason why I’m changing my eating habits is to stay healthy and not get diabetes like other people in my family. All that effort to avoid body-hating comments in spite of feeling a bit blobby some days seems to be paying dividends!

Nicky, i love the idea of your shopping books. I’d love to see them. HOwever you know, i am the most disorganised person not the planet and if i started one, i’d lose it within no time. I simply cannot be organised. I am always trying to start little books for this or that but get them all messed up. And i’ can’t keep my records straight. however at the moment my menu planning is working for me but it took a long time at first to set up . If i was working full time, i probably wouldn’t do it and would just throw stuff together every night and not even use a recipe book i’d be so wrecked from work. Then i’d just have to use my fallback thing of a well stocked fridge.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,351 through 2,400 (of 28,020 total)

You must be logged in to reply.