Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,914 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  KellyClarkson 9 hours, 29 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,101 through 21,150 (of 28,018 total)

• Cali, I think we are supposed to be in summer but the weather has trouble deciding what season it is and as a result my garden and the local wildlife are confused. My asparagus started a month early and finished a month early, my beans are half the height they should be but the black fly are already on them. Robins, by nature fiercely territorial and solitary, are still going around in pairs but a young buzzard took cover in my apple tree this morning when he was mobbed by the rooks from the churchyard. I have just been outside and I have tomatoes on the vine. We have been warned there will be a national shortage of potatoes because of low rainfall over the last year and the spring, but mine are looking really good. I am also confused

On the question of sleep. When fasting hard I sleep well, but for about an hour less. On NFDs I occasionally wake in the night and sleep later in the morning.

FD today and again tomorrow for three in a row. Feeling good.

Good morning and quack from a drenched, practically flooding Sydney. Freezing cold too…I limped into work today as the train was in go-slow then I literally had to wade through the footpath from the station to the office as the gutters have all overflowed. No walk for OH and Maxx and I just received a text saying ‘he is pacing around like a caged lion looking for his next target. It’s going to be a very long day’. Oh dear

Penguin and Cali, I find it quite terrifying that the weather these days is so erratic. I’m not sure if I’m just not remembering that it has always been this way or if it truly is changing. You might be able to make a fortune selling your spuds Penguin! How is the dog-sitting going? I’m loving where you live more and more…”Unattended children will be sold to the Circus” – classic.

Cali, I loved your positivity about having a good week – I’m with you there. Re adults on screens – yep – I have to weave around them all walking like zombies around the city, bent over their phones, and especially in peak hour on the way home when I’m running late for my train. It’s not so bad where I live as it is a very quiet suburb….but the city – dear God it is now pandemic.

FD today and I had a very controlled NFD yesterday. I’m feeling very very good about this week

Day 12 of torturous all-day workshops and they were supposed to end after 5. But things aren’t going well and stress-head leader has become stress-all-over-and-then-some. She actually tells people off in front of everyone! Terrible, terrible people skills. I can’t complain as she employed me and I am very grateful for this job (believe it or not) as it is long term and once this testing is out of the way I can concentrate on what I was brought in to do. I hope.

Quacka, those cupcakes did look tasty but I’m sure you thought about the amount of sugar and fat and calories and managed to avoid them? It doesn’t help though, does it?

Lindsay, I agree that in this new gender-neutral world why the girls can’t just wear shorts? We only ever had uniforms (dresses) in my time so there wasn’t any debate but these days it is very different. Your flower is gorgeous

Thin, your sign is classic too: “Well-behaved children welcome, the rest will be made into pies”.

Have a superb day all, I will post naughtily from inside the torture chamber later

Good morning everyone. Cold, old Melbourne.

Quacka, I hope you survived the Great Sugar Food Temptation. Not in among the sweet things I miss, so the others would all be welcome to them (unlike that home made cannoli)
    You must be getting all your cruel bad luck in a row, so you can have an easier time later on.

LJoyce, excellent work by your great niece (and her mum).

Lindsay, my shortness is all in the legs too. With my long body and long head I think I might be a bit startling. 🙂
    Happy birthday to the 6 year old! I always think of the Christopher Robin poem ‘Now I am six’.
    Totally agree with you about school uniforms and birthday celebrations.
    Aren’t bees wonderful. I was listening to pieces of an interesting program on the radio yesterday, in my car, about hives being stolen in California. So I was thinking of you and Cali.
    And Oh! That flower. Stunning! Is it scented too?

Penguin, the weather is gradually getting madder, poor thing. Your flowers sound wonderful. I had never heard of that red bishop, but when I first moved into this area (25 years ago) there were several houses with gardens grown by dedicated dahlia lovers and such huge variety, and maybe including that stunning one.

Cali, yes! I did get a better sleep last night and feel human again. A bad night seems to affect me more and more. I just gave up and had a screen time day yesterday (apart from when I went to the shops and listened to the bee program). So, even more to catch up on today. Life!

I do hope you get a better week with those difficult NFD’s. What is your strategy?

Anzac, Sydney weather and commuter troubles were on the news this morning. I hope it is much better this afternoon.

Must go and see if I can make a dent on this mess.

Accountability: B. Herb, sweet potato and ricotta frittata.
    L. Poha with cauliflower and peas.
    S. Tomato soup.
    D. Veggie Stirfry.

For all but Penguin and possibly Turn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Oh Thin, I’m so glad I excused myself and took my phone into a meeting room to watch the video. That is HILARIOUS and I literally laughed out loud. And to hear John Cleese doing a Yorkshire accent was so funny too. And was that what’s-his-name from the Goodies to the left of JC? I do love British humour, especially in years past. There’s nothing like it anywhere else. My favourite shows are ones like ‘Allo ‘Allo and Black Adder.

Now I understand what you and Penguin were on about with your road licking and uphill walks to school. Too funny

Good Morning everyone

Yay!! It is raining and I’m so happy about it. We have had good solid rain, not too heavy, all night although it looks like it is slowing up now. The wind is howling and that is probably blowing it all away. My mum sent me some photos this morning of all the snow up at their place in the Blue mountains and a screenshot of the temp which was .1 degrees. Argh, made me cold just looking at it.

I had a really good FD yesterday. I had a 29 calorie Pho soup at about 3pm and then I made a pumpkin and cauliflower soup for dinner. I made it a curried one and it was so thick and delicious, almost like a puree instead of a watery soup.
    Oh and guess what!!! Never, ever say never…… OH actually ate some and went back for another small serve!!! No wonder it’s raining!! He did have it with his sausages and a couple of other veggies and he even said he liked it. I’m so chuffed.
    So I meticulously weighed out every ingredient (about six, I think) and the whole soup came to 600 cals. I estimated I would eat half of it (over-estimated, I mean). I measured it out by ladlefuls and I had two ladles and OH had one and a half and then another half when he went back for seconds. After dinner I looked in the saucepan and there was still so much left so I transferred it to a container by ladles and there were six more in there. So all up 10 ladles. I also had some ricotta cheese left over from the weekend and all up calories for the day was 400. My whole point of the story is that if you don’t actually measure what you are eating, it is very easy to under or over estimate it.

Anzac, good to hear you are feeling positive about this week. Your work is really testing you out with the stress and the pizzas/junk food and I think you are managing it very well. One thing I wanted to say is that it gets easier to eat low carbs the more that you do it. I used to be the biggest starchy carb head, like eating a massive bowl of pasta was easy. Bread – four slices disappeared without even touching the sides. Rice – a huge mound of rice and only a little of the sauce or whatever I was eating it with. I am more into the protein and veggie carbs now, although I do still eat some starchy foods sometimes.
    There are portions of the cakes from yesterday upstairs in the fridge and you know what, I don’t think I am even going to have some. It’s just so tempting when you are already hungry and yet I don’t need them today. I’ve had some almonds with my cuppa just before and I feel pretty good at the moment. Also really happy with my scales at the moment, no spitting or kicking them today!

Klondi, well done on getting into the 60’s. It is such a good feeling. Keep up the good work. I hope you are having a safe and easy drive up the coast.

I love all the signs about the kids. I think it is a pity that kids are so misbehaved today. It is a worry that it is the really well behaved kids that stand out now where it used to be the opposite, the bad kids were the exception.

I have to go and do some work. I have had a big influx of mid year stock arrive this week and still have a bit to get through. I hope you all have a lovely, warm day x

I haven’t seen the Monty Python sketch in years. Thanks.

Dog sitting over. Cat sitting this week. One of the neighbours is away and I am going in twice a day to feed the cat. We know each other – he hunts my garden most days, confining himself to rodents so the Robins are safe..

FD yesterday. Plenty of activity in garden, picked gooseberries. Ate 15 fruit and veg, which sounds a lot but the quantities were small. Down another pound. OH also down.

My FD went smoothly today. I spent a few hours doing errands to pick up a few things I had been putting off shopping for, so it seemed to go quickly. I talked OH into eating Thai chicken leftovers from a couple nights ago so I just had a can of tinned salmon and then a small bowl of porridge later.

Thin, love that movie clip.

Sometimes I think that after all these years I must have heard every non-technical word that exists, but I read a new one today in a movie review the NY Times that I had to look up: verisimilitude. It was used in the sentence, “That’s not to say there aren’t many touches of verisimilitude. The rooftop scene in which conscripts have just seconds to toss radioactive debris to the ground is as otherworldly as it must have seemed to those who were there three decades ago.” it was in a review of Chernobyl from HBO. I had to look it up in an online dictionary. Is that a word anyone else is familiar with? How did I miss it?

Anzac, glad you are surviving that awful training class. Any indication how much longer it will go on?

Quacka, that curried pumpkin and cauliflower soup sounds good. I tend to avoid homemade soup recipes that are new to me on FD’s just because I’m too lazy to measure everything and figure out the calories. I guess that’s kind of silly because packaged foods probably have a good margin of error and soups made at home are usually much healthier. I usually overestimate the calories on recipes I’m making myself.

Lindsay, that flower is gorgeous. Does it have a strong fragrance? I used to have a Barrel type cactus in a pot at our old house that bloomed once per year and only for a couple days. But it had a big white flower that smelled kind of like a gardenia that we could smell all over the yard.

Penguin, good news that you and OH are both down another pound. It’s much easier when you aren’t cooking for grandies or guests I bet.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Hi everyone

FD was tough yesterday, probably because of all the desserts I ate on the weekend.
    Today was all about Sunday night leftovers – not including desserts, apart from some leftover strawberry puree.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast pot of tea
    Mid-morning: 1/2 glass of kefir with strawberry puree
    Lunch: Small antipasto plate and 2 small slices of ciabatta. Small bowl of rockmelon and strawberries.
    Late-afternoon: pot of tea, cheese, date-walnut log, 2 crackers
    Dinner: One spoonful risotto, osso bucco, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, carrots.
    Supper: hot drink – probably cocoa

Adding the strawberry puree to the kefir was amazing – I’ll definitely do that again.

I’m utterly exhausted and sore tonight as I spent several hours trying to dig up clay soil in the garden this afternoon. I’ll have dinner shortly and a very early night.

Cali, that you haven’t come across it before is probably an American English/English English thing. It is not a word that I use much, but I do encounter it fairly frequently. Our languages have been diverting since the late 1700, early 1800s when the newly independent politicians decided they would demonstrate the new relationship by changing the spellings of a lot of words. When I was in Germany in the 1970s, German kids studying English to an advanced level were required to chose between American and English. English English is still changing. The kids keep coming out with things I don’t understand. I retaliate by going all Shakespearian on them.

Anzac. In the olden days, when I worked for a living, I had a boss whose idea of team building was a breakfast meeting in MacDonalds. I got accused of dietary snobbery for refusing everything except the coffee.

LJ. After a family visit it can take us three days to finish off the leftovers. Having been raised to hate waste, I usually wind up eating the puds and then regretting it.

Hi all

I’d just like to start by saying thank you for all the congrats and bouquets etc. I am actually quite pleased to see that 69+ figure as in ancient times (about 35 years ago) it used to be my trigger weight to get my act together. However, I know that I will probably hover for a while around 69/70 and my scales are so old, it’s hard to tell accurately what the reading is.

Anzac. Quite a relief to have Maxx organised, you will be able to enjoy your holiday so much more. Your work situation sound horrendous, is this what you were warned about when you went for the job. I’m glad you are hanging in there. Your chicken salad must have compensated for the pizza lunch. And your weekend was good too, give yourself a pat on the back. Now we are in the van, Bobby sometimes needs a 3am walk and it is very hard to get out of a cozy bed and take him out, knowing it’s freezing outside and I will probably not get back to sleep quickly but better than the alternative. I hope the storms didn’t affect you too badly. We heard about more today but no issues inland where we were.

Penguin. Your grand dog visit sounded very pleasant. And all that wild life right in your garden. What is a slow worm? You need to explain. You’re right, not too many kids would walk 5k to school now, although my two probably walked 3k to secondary school and didn’t complain. Temperatures between 20 and 30 are the ideal range, that’s why Autumn is do good here. My OH would have been in heaven if he had seen those Spitfires, he is really interested in anything to do with WW2 aircraft. Any screen use at a dinner table is so rude unless it’s for showing photos of grandkids. Can I add to the cute sign stories. In a coffee shop in Tennessee ‘ Unruly children will be given a double shot of coffee and a puppy’ and to add to the dog stories, dog friendly caravan parks are becoming much more common here. One place has a sign ‘ Dogs don’t steal the toilet paper, have loud parties and leave bottles everywhere. If your dog recommends you then you can stay.’ Your garden sounds lovely, productive and pretty. In one of Bill Bryson’s books he spends a bit of time on how words are used in U.K. and USA. Some of the words dated back to the Pilgrims and have kept the meaning in US but have changed in UK, we certainly have a living language.

LJ. How many people were you feeding your Italian meal, I hope it was a small army. Yes, dessert is the killer, that cannoli sounds wonderful. I think I would have done exactly the same. What a lovely gift from your Miss 5, she is already into the family tradition of showing affection with food. You don’t stand a chance, but you were very strong to get it into the freezer so quickly. What is going into your garden, is thus for vegies or flowers. Before I started 5-2 I was getting quite creative with mashed potato, using up little bits of cheese, leftover dips, dukkah etc which reduced waste and added flavour. I’ve virtually given up potato but I can see that if I make it a small percentage of a vegie mash, I can still eat it and get lots of other vegies too.

Betsy. Although BMI ratings are getting slammed at the moment, the fact is that the less you weigh, the better it is and I remember how great I felt when I hit that milestone and could proudly say I was overweight. Keeping that in mind should be a powerful incentive when those temptations rise.

Lindsay. Well done on losing your holiday gains. I am a bit puzzled at this height discussion. I used to be 165cm and considered myself medium height, Anzac at 170cm I would think of as a bit above average. To my amazement, since I started on 5-2, I have discovered I have dropped to 162.5 and I still don’t see myself as short. Do you mix with really tall people? It’s funny that there has to be a special garment for girls. One of my GD wears skorts and the other has a skirt but it has pants incorporated. We just wore dresses or shorts. I don’t think either school has long pants for girls so they wear leggings with their dresses, not nearly as warm as pants. Rant perfectly understandable. Sounds like Miss 3 isn’t hard to please. Glad the weekend went well and your flower looks wonderful. Does each flower last, or do you get a new one every day?

Neil. You have a lovely country but your weather sounds too cold for comfort. No wonder Queen Lizzie is so old, she has so many birthdays. We don’t celebrate until next weekend and I don’t think all the states are the same.

Quakka. Must be the season for pumpkin soup. I just made a really tasty one with lots of cumin, turmeric and chilli flakes which OH is having for his FD lunch and I will have to wait for a NFD. Those cakes did look nice and I noticed they were cut into quarters, does that mean you have samples of them all? Well done on your FD. I agree about all the measuring etc, it can be quite surprising the actual cal count when you do, particularly vegetable based soups.

Thin. Thanks so much for that video link. I knew what you and penguin were referring to but hadn’t heard that skit for years and I didn’t know who the actors were. A stat studded group.

Cinque. Your poor sleeping continues. Are you still depriving yourself of caffeine to try and improve it? Is there anything else that might be contributing? I really sympathise with you. Try and keep warm now that the cold has hit. One thing I have found is that I need to make sure my feet are warm in bed so really good socks and right now, I have a heat pack doing the job. It seems to make a big difference.

Cali. I can see a big rise in sales of dark chocolate in your area, not often something we enjoy gets a health tick. Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble sleeping too, sounds like your brain doesn’t want to switch off. I have that sometimes, of course I spend a lot of time (like now) on my iPad and that is supposed to be bad for melatonin levels. Hot chocolate or camomile tea sometimes helps. The only time I have come across your word was in The Mikado (Gilbert and Sullivan opera) where it was used by a very pompous character who wanted to impress the Emperor.

Currently in Tamworth (Country Music capital of Australia). Not my taste in music and that’s not why we came here. Quite chilly but no wind or rain so easy to rug up. There is a town south of here called Nundle which has a working woollen mill which I am looking forward to visiting and there is some sort of horse event here which showcases riding skills and other rural specialities like working dog trials. Being a city slicker I haven’t seen anything like this before and I think we will find it interesting. The driving is relatively easy, we try and keep each day to about 300k and I have built up my long distance driving muscles over time. OH and I have been together over 50 years and I can’t imagine handing over the steering wheel to anyone else on a regular basis. The hard part is backing the van into the site, sometimes quite small or surrounded by other vans and OH is very good at working out how to do that while I am happy to be the puppet following orders. We have a few more cold days and nights coming but we will be in Queensland next week and should start to feel warmer. I’m counting on you Lindsay to look after that for me.

Hi everyone, just checking in.

LJoyce & LindsayL, you’re right and I don’t know what I entered wrongly last time to get the lower number – 1354 cals is what the diet calculator gives as my TDEE. I still think that’s a bit low for maintenance at that weight. The figure of 1525 cals I mentioned was from “Allan Borushek’s Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter” book, pg 4 – women over 55, 50-55 kg, calorie range recommended is 1500-1550 cals, so at 52,5 kg, 1525 cals. That’s something I think I could more easily live with long-term, but I’ll see what happens once I get to that weight. I’d still intend to have one FD a week anyway. What do folk say who’ve reached maintenance?

CalifDreamer, verisimilitude means something like “true to reality”. As an Aussie, I’ve read it in books, but wouldn’t normally use it in normal speech.

Klondikekween, well done to be below that dreaded 70 kgs! I’m still hovering around 73 kgs, seem to have plateau-ed again. Sigh.

Hi Cinque, sharing Melbourne’s weather with you. Seems like the rain is gone for a few days, but still quite cool.

Anzac65, hope the workshops finish soon. Goodness, the person running it seems to be really stressed. And poor Maxx, missing his “walkies”. Was the house still in one piece when you got home 🙂 .

Had a poor start to May, but settling down now, so onward and downwards!

Oops! Not May, June. Maybe need to head for bed! 🙂

Just to add – went back to the BMI calculator under resources – I do strengthening exercises nearly every day, as well as walk vigorously daily for a minimum of 30 minutes (usually more), so I changed my entry from lightly active to moderately active – and there was my calorie count of 1529 cals for TDEE, which as I wrote above, I think I could live with long-term. If I slow down, my TDEE calorie count will definitely have to reduce.

On my phone, so a short one.

Klondi a slow worm is a small legless lizard. About 40 cm long and the thickness of my middle finger. Sometimes shorter because when under threat they shed their tail as a distraction. They are quite rare now but when I was child every country boy had one in his pocket.

Weigh in number 19 and 1.1 kilos more gone to make a total of 28.1 kilos total gone. Only 1.9 more to go until I hit goal number 3.

I’m going to join a gym for the first time in my life today. I want to make sure that I don’t start gaining over winter, so I’m getting a 3 month subscription to the one across the road from work to last me until tennis starts again in September.

Good morning, another very wet and very cold day in Sydney

LJ, I’m so sorry to hear you are aching and I hope an early night last night has helped. How are you feeling today?

Betsy, I keep saying ‘May’ instead of June as my brain simply refuses to acknowledge how fast the time is going.

Klondi, your trip is sound amazing and I bet you are looking forward to some hopefully warmer weather in QLD. It must be freezing where you are in Tamworth

Weight continues to stubbornly refuse to budge much but I know if I persist it will suddenly drop. I have another #*#*#*# UTI – probably brought on by stress – so that isn’t helping. Last day of workshops today -and only half a day apparently – so hooray to that

I also have a decent lunch break today so I can finally get back into my walking. If it is still raining I can walk underground around the Queen Victoria Building. I also intend to WFH on Friday and that means four days at home so therefore at least four really big hilly walks. I simply can’t wait. The weather is supposed to be perfect from tomorrow for at least a week – around 19-22 with lots of sunshine. Bliss. The forecast for next Tuesday is 25! I’m guessing that will change.

Maxx and OH ventured out for a walk today despite the rain as we couldn’t keep him cooped up for a second day in a row. He is a very active teenage LARGE dog so he needs plenty of exercise of course. The walk report was encouraging as he was pretty well behaved and he enjoyed a big towelling down when they got home.

Hi to everyone else, have a great day

Good Morning everyone

Nice to hear from you, Klondi. Yes, the cakes are cut into quarters so that the girls can have a taste of each of them if they like. Yesterday was a NFD and I could have had some of the leftovers but they just didn’t look so appealing as when it was a FD. The other thing is there were just bits and pieces left and again not so appealing as when there were six gorgeous little cakes instead of just off cuts. I’m strange I know, lol. Anyway, I didn’t end up eating any of them.

I brought some of my pumpkin soup to work yesterday and again shared it with my friend who is going through the tough separation. I need to make some more very soon but I think tonight it is going to be miso soup night. OH loves miso and I will probably add some pork to it and and of course lots of veggies. Mmmmm, I am looking forward to it.
    I have a feeling today is going to be a tough FD. I woke up hungry, like really hungry, and I am still feeling hungry now. I have had three cups of tea already and I have some of the Pho cup soups in my desk draw if I need it. Maybe I will have two during the day….
    The scales are moving downwards at the moment and I don’t want to sabotage it by not doing this FD. Today I was at 65.3kg and I would like to see the number 64 on that screen, hopefully tomorrow. I have said to myself that I will have a can of tuna if this hunger gets too much for me as I can make that fit in to a 500 calorie FD. Fingers crossed, I can get through it.

Penguin, that slow worm sounds interesting. I am going to google it after this.

Neil, well done and so close to goal 3. Joining the gym is a good idea, especially one so close to work.

The rain is clearing up this morning but we have enjoyed two lovely days of it, one more day than forecast. The wind has been awful though and I can see there are a few jobs in the garden that will need to be done. Lucky there is a long weekend so close now!

Have a happy day everyone x

PS. Hi Anzac, Hope you get that UTI cleared up really quickly. Enjoy your walk 🙂

Klondi, what a lovely, lovely post. Very interesting reading, and so nice you’ve responded to us all.
    BTW, Miss 3 isn’t hard to please at all. As long as she was colouring in the Apple on the top of my MacBook, she was as happy as Larry (sigh). I didn’t notice until I picked it up to rush out the house to work yesterday.

I think I’ve always thought of myself as short because my much taller brothers used to call me short stuff. I’ve always worn heels to compensate, though less so now. I did buy 3 terrific pairs of boots in the sales in Scotland in January…Clarks, stylish, with a padded insert and a mid-heel. I wore a pair yesterday for the first time and lasted the whole day without a twinge.

Betsy how good that you are looking to the future and how to maintain. I seem such a long way off that. I think that you will find your sweet spot, as others on this site seem to have done, and with the one FD a week, it will work for you.

Congratulations Neil – what a downward spiral you’re on! Do you think you’ll enjoy the gym?

Calif I don’t hear ‘verisimilitude’ used in everyday life, but occasionally in literary reviews. I used to think it meant truth, but on looking it up, it seems it’s appearance of truth. A subtle difference.

Cinque, thank you, thank you for the reference to AA Milne’s Now I am Six. I had read that to my children, and it had totally slipped my mind for my little grand-daughter. Her party is on Saturday (just family … there are eight little cousins of similar age), and I am off to the shops later this morning to see if I can buy the book. If not, there’s always the Book Depository.

How are the workshops going Anzac? Sound like hell. Odd approach, for the facilitator to scream and embarrass people – not exactly a good strategy for getting the best out of the team. Very hard to stick to a food plan when you’re locked in a room for days on end….good for you for doing your utmost.

Thin I read about your bridge in awe – I don’t have a clue what it is about, except that it requires superior brain power with perhaps a touch of guile???

Sorry I missed the bee program Cinque – I’m guessing Radio National? My bee mentor said bees are flown in from all over the US to fertilise the almond trees when they blossom – but many don’t make it home because they don’t like the relocation. Now Victoria is doing the same thing. Some enterprising growers are building up hives among the trees, to let nature take its course. Long may it do so.

My flowering cactus doesn’t have much perfume Cali, Cinque – unlike the gorgeous gardenias, which along with roses are my absolute favourites. But when I went out to smell a flower, a swarm of the tiny native bees were deep within.

Non-fast day today – my OH is taking me to lunch, after a trip to the Greek grocer to get olives, cheese, coffee and the like.

Penguin I’m still reading the Diet Myth and finding it fascinating and already, behaviour changing – although I do quibble with some of the author’s sweeping non-diet related statements. For example, he claims that Chinese women no longer know how to cook (just not true), and that the Chinese don’t eat many vegetables any more – also not true. He also made a statement that 50% of Australian Indigenous men die before they are 45. The actual statistic is shocking enough – their life expectancy is 10 years less than non-Indigenous Australians…it didn’t need exaggeration. Where were his editors?

I am loving reading your posts about where you live, and your life there Penguin. So nice to see you posting again, regularly.

OK, time to shut up shop and get the day underway. Sunny and cool in Brisbane – perfect for a nice outing, wedged between work days. I did 11 hours yesterday, and was shattered by the time I got home, but OH had cooked!!! The bliss of arriving home to a nice meal.

Happy day all

Penguin, me neither re: The Four Yorkshiremen but it’s been etched in my brain for decades ready for instant retrieval anytime something comes up such as Betsy’s school commute. Glad some of you found it amusing. John Cleese is a funny man. He says people often ask him if they were ‘on something’ when they wrote the MP sketches but he maintains that they were just sitting around drinking cups of tea.

Klond, thanks for the road report. Please treat yourself to a decent set of scales. Essential tool of the trade. And you deserve it.

Betsy, I think people tend to overestimate their activity level. I’m doubtful that your exercise regime, noble as it is, qualifies for moderately active. I always check the lesser level. Regarding maintenance which you asked about, I wouldn’t want to be stuck calculating calories for the rest of my life so I find two FDs a small price to pay to maintain a healthy weight and not have to pay much attention to the other days. We all got here in the first place because we put too much fuel in the engine. We can modify our habits to some extent but we’re still the same people we always were wrt food. I’m also hoping that the two FDs afford some other long-term health benefits (although I know I’m not technically ‘fasting’).

Lindsay, thanks for the compliment but bridge clearly doesn’t require superior brain power, at least not at my level of play.

Quacka, well done avoiding the cakes. Is your Pho soup at 3pm your first intake for the day? I have FDs where I wake up hungry too – I can usually trace it back to some rubbish I ate the day before. Makes the FD all the more necessary. You’re doing well with your weight loss so hopefully that’s motivation enough to push through the hunger.

Anzac, hope the workshops are soon over. What a way to treat adults.

Hello to LJ, Cinque, Neil, CalifD, Merry, and everyone else. I’m trying to limit my screen time so didn’t get to reply to all but it was enjoyable reading.

Good morning everyone, what a lot of great, interesting posts.

Thin, I had a nice quip re the Four Yorkshiremen sketch, to indicate that I knew exactly what you were talking about, in the post that went to the ether. I grew up on all those shows.

Quacka, no wonder Mr Quacka, and your work mate, loved that soup. Just the thing for this weather. Good luck with the mid year stock!

Penguin, excellent plant variety intake, great variety in small amount seems to be the key. And hooray for that downward trajectory.
    Oh dear, MacDonald meetings.

Cali, shopping is such a good strategy. Hope to do that this afternoon with op shops and library.
    I know that I have read verisimilitude (and heard it in The Mikado, I realise Klondi), but I don’t think I have ever said it. What a great word it is though! I might practice saying it so I am ready when it is called for 😉 .

LJoyce, hooray for getting through that fast day, discovering kefir and strawberry puree, and getting that clay soil worked. I hope today is an easy one.

Klondi, what a ripper of a post.
    I believe I have scientifically proven that my coffee intake wasn’t effecting my sleep so I’m very happily drinking it again. I decided to give myself two coffee free days a week, on my fast days. But I think I will bail today if home help wants coffee. I am longing for one.
    Cold feet is one of my symptoms so this time of year I go to bed with a hot waterbottle AND a big heat bag. Very snuggly and I don’t think I would sleep at all without something to warm my feet.
    Can you believe that Miso the cat likes to snuggle up between my hot water bottle and my feet? Such a shocking habit in such a sweet little cat!
    What a great team you and Mr Klondi make! And lovely to think you will both come back from your trip lighter and healthier than you left.

Betsy, yes, ‘cool’ is a nice Australian understatement for the weather, but it is nice to have a break from the rain. Aren’t the months galloping past!

Anzac, you poor thing. The UTI means inflammation so your dear body needs to hold extra water to deal with it. Don’t expect to lose lots of weight this week. Enjoy your walk. Glad Maxx got his. Lucky we are waterproof!
    Keep on keeping on!

Lindsay. Oh no that colouring in! It would have seemed such a good idea at the time. I hope Miss 6 enjoys the poem. I know several off by heart and have been reciting the hoppity poem to Miss 4 who has just mastered hopping.

Don’t your boots sound fab.
    The bee program was so interesting. It was an American production but I have no idea what program it was on. I think it was this: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/06/27/534128664/beekeepers-feel-the-sting-of-california-s-giant-beehive-heist
    Lovely to hear of the tiny native bees enjoying the heart of the flower together.
    Hooray for Mr Lindsay having a meal for you after such a big day.

Neil I bet you are one of the unusual people who actually get their money’s worth out of a gym membership.

My accountability went well yesterday. I had a veggie pot pie instead of the stirfry. I did have a couple of peanut butter on vita wheat after it, which weren’t needed. Note to self.
    Today is fast day. Same as it ever was.

Cheers all. Intesha, keen to hear how you are going. Rosy Posy, how are you? Merry, sending good wishes.

Hi Thin, Lovely to see your post.

And it reminds me that I meant to say to Quacka that a hungry fast day is a good fast day. Your body is literally telling you what is happening. Ride it through! Tomorrow will feel great!

(On the other hand, if it is so bad you can’t work properly, good to have your little back up).

Best wishes all!

I just read an article that explores the idea that BMI ranges should be different for men and women.

It’s quite long winded, but the conclusion is that based on average muscle mass and what body fat percentages are considered overweight for men and women (33% for women, 25% for men) that the BMI for the threshold of being overweight should remain 25 for women, but be 27.2 for men.

I’ve plugged that into a reverse BMI calculator and the BMI 27.2 figure for me is pretty close to my goal weight. It comes out at 86.2 kilograms. I’m still aiming for 90 kilos, but once I get there I might reassess, I may try for 80-85 kilos if I feel that it would be healthy to get there.

Hi thin and Cinque

Yes, 3pm is usually the time that I just feel I can’t make it through the day and so I often have something then, whether it be the Pho soup or just miso paste in hot water. If I have brought some veggies with me I just eat them. It’s my first food for the day so long as we aren’t counting milk in cups of tea as food.

Cinque, I know it’s a good thing and I know I will feel great tomorrow (if I manage to succeed). It’s just I usually don’t wake up hungry on a FD or NFD for that matter. Maybe it’s just the cold weather. It’s interesting that you trace it back to rubbish food the day before FD, thin. I definitely ate nothing that was rubbish yesterday but maybe it was those little cakes…..maybe, just maybe, my brain thinks I actually did eat some!!! Little devils. LOL

That would be a very cheeky brain Quacka. I do hope it gets easier through the day.

Home Help did want a coffee. Yay! ( I didn’t mention that I saw her draining her previous, takeaway, coffee as she was getting out of the car. I understood completely. )

Thank you Cinque

I know I am hogging it on here today but I am really struggling. I have had a very weak miso paste soup and now I’m having a quarter massel vege stock cube in hot water with a squeeze of lemon. To make things so much better for me, my friend (who I have been sharing my lunch with) went and bought herself a hamburger for lunch. She at least had the decency to not eat it in front of me, but still only three metres away. OK, I can do this. I will be strong. 64’s here we come……

You can do this Quacka, just another couple of hours. Think about how good you will feel and how good your dinner will taste…..

You and I need to get new jobs in a place where there isn’t constant temptation!

Sending more good wishes Quacka.

I’ve been to the shops and found an excellent puffer coat/parker for my granddaughter and two floor puzzles. And a kitchen thing for me.

Also greengrocer shopping, so a gorgeous bag full of veggies AND I AM SO HUNGRY.
    But only a couple of hours until miso time, and lots of delicious food tomorrow.

Cinque, nothing like a trip to the op shop, especially when you find good things. Have you tried decaf coffee? I rarely drink coffee with caffeine anymore. I usually buy French Roast or other dark roasted coffee beans. I do like caffeine but I seem to be more sensitive to it as I get older. If you find a good brand of decaf it’s often hard to tell the difference except that you don’t get that kick that you do from the caffeine.

I’m surprised that so many of you had seen the word “verisimilitude” before. Even OH says he sees it occasionally. It’s the kind of word I would remember if I had read it. To me it looks like it should be the name of a bug with lots and lots of legs, perhaps related to the centipede. “I’m sorry I’m late, but my cat was chasing a verisimilitude and I had to catch it in a jar and put it outside.”

Anzac, I Googled that Queen Victoria Building you mentioned. What a gorgeous place! Is it close to where you work?

Neil, good idea about joining a club close to work. The convenient location will mean you’ll be tempted to go there more. And congrats for moving even closer to goal 3!

Penguin, I’m still reading The Diet Myth. I’ve been spending too much time bingeing on that “Chernobyl” tv show. But we finished watching the 6th and final episode today, so back to my reading.

Cinque thanks for the link – very interesting. And such good shopping.
    I bought the AA Milne book online when I couldn’t find it at the shops, and then told DD who reminded me that she still had the copy they’d had as children! I should have remembered, but I didn’t. She’s great at keeping all her books – a favourite of hers, and now her children’s is ‘The Groggs Have a Wonderful Summer’. A great book about a family in a north of English coal town.

And Thin, talking of parts north … that clip is too too funny. I’d forgotten just how much.

Whoo hoo moment – I’ve just come from the doctor for my ‘flu shot and to ask about leg cramps (any thoughts, anyone?). He took my blood pressure during the consultation – and was very surprised to find it was 99/65. Almost too low he said. And suggested I stop taking my BP tablet (small dose once daily). I didn’t remind him I’d asked about it last time, when it was also low. So we have halved the dose, as an interim measure, and if after a week of monitoring it stays low, he’ll stop it altogether.

I had a great day – bento box lunch (minus rice), good shop at the Greek grocer, a new skirt and a pair of jersey trousers to wear in the house, and OH is making his best dinner, pork fillet , marinated in honey, rosemary and orange.

I’ve eased up a bit on the no carbs – I rarely have milk but the Diet Myth has convinced me to go back on to some dairy, so I’ve decided to have unsweetened Greek yoghurt with almonds and a drizzle of honey. Good for my biome, and even a small serve is very filling.

Night all

How’s your day Quacka? Nearly through the worst?

Yesterday was supposed to be a FD. It turned into a NFD, but healthy choices and not excessive. No weight loss, but feeling good.

Great article Lindsay, I shared it on another thread and on my YamDaisy fb page too.
    I’m trying to write and eat my miso soup at the same time. Haha, I had better stop writing. See you tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/MoD7UD6.jpg

Thank you for your encouragement and support, Anzac, thin, Cinque and Lindsay. I’m happy to say I have made it through, even though I found it very difficult at times. You lovely people helped immensely 🙂 🙂

I’ve posted a steamy photo above (of our dinner!)
    It’s Miso and pork balls soup. You’re right, Anzac, it tasted amazing.

Thanks again everyone. You are awesome xx

Hi all, workout went well today. I thought I was bike ready, but 40 minutes on a real exercise bike just showed me how woefully inadequate the resistance on my bike at home is, and therefore how bike un-ready I am.

Lindsay- I used to get wicked leg cramps as a teen. They can be caused by lack of magnesium or potassium.

Hi all. Busy day – I haven’t even read today’s posts which is rare for me. I’ll try to catch up in the morning.

NFD Fess up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea and 1/2 glass kefir with strawberry puree
    Mid-morning: mug of mocha with skim milk – at cafe with friends
    Lunch: didn’t want to buy food at a cafe as I knew I had leftovers at home. It meant I didn’t get lunch until nearly 3pm. I ate 2 slices of fresh wholemeal sourdough with salami and tomatoes. Then I went back for another piece of sourdough. Then I went back for yet another piece with a slice of cheese on it! Then I put the loaf of bread into the freezer so I couldn’t see it any more.
    Late-afternoon: slices of cheddar with slivers of walnut-date log and a pot of tea
    Dinner: 2 loin lamb chops, spoonful of risotto milanese, 2 spoonfuls of gravy from the osso bucco, carrots, peas, beans
    Supper: cup of chai

Hi everyone, checking in before I do some computer work. My first FD800 for the week today ballooned into about 1000-1100 cals, but better than a full eating day.

Thin, I agree about the exercise levels – I originally put myself at light exercise, debating whether to be light or moderate. I tend to walk vigorously about 40-50 minutes each day, as my fitbit can attest, and do some floor exercises and light weight work 5 times a week. Everything gets recorded in an exercise diary which I’ve kept for the past several years so I know when I’m slacking, and so far this year I’ve been very consistent. But, whether it can be called moderate? I just flipped at the thought of having to keep to little over 1300 calories permanently. But, I have to remember that calorie needs reduce with age (sigh!). In the past, I’ve been very much a stress eater, or eating for the extra energy to keep going when I really should have stopped. Now I don’t have the stress of work it’s much easier to control my eating, which is a good thing.

Neilithicman, you are doing so well, you’re a sterling example of the potential for success embodied in this WOL. Have fun at the gym!

LindsayL, I was interested in your comments about beehives being welcomed into almond plantations. My uncle and cousin used to keep bees (I think my cousin still does) near Sawtell, and always asked the farmers to warn them when they were intending to spray their fruit trees, so the beehives could be moved to safer locations. What you’re suggesting seems to be the opposite, and seems a really good change.

Okay, got to go. Happy days everyone!

Hi all

Betsy. The way I look at maintenance TDEE is this. Multiply your TDEE by 7, deduct FD calories then divide the remainder by 5 or 6 depending on how many FD you have. It presumes that you continue to restrict calories on at least one day a week which seems to be how our successful maintainers are doing it. You will find that, over a week which is what 5-2 is about you can eat a bit more up to the total of your weekly TDEE and shouldn’t do any damage to your weight. I’m sure that our numbers experts will have an opinion on this and can tell me if I have got it wrong. It’s only a theory for me but they have lived experience to draw on. By the way, you really need to get to bed earlier, like me.

Penguin. Thanks so much for your description of a slow worm, I have just googled it and poor thing has a few names, none of them complimentary. A 40cm lizard in your pocket must have been a bit squashy for the lizard. I can see the appeal. My brother used to go bush and bring back snakes and lizards and was not too fussy about keeping them contained. We were not allowed into his room because they could pop up anywhere. Fortunately there were no disasters. Weight loss or no, feeling good is an achievement

Neil. You are just a weight loss machine. Interesting the difference in the two bikes, you were saying you needed a new bike. Maybe one of your sons can goof up again and you can charge them a penalty so that you can afford a good one. There seems to be a bit of discussion re the relevance of BMI, like so many ways of assessing a healthy body. I guess we just take what suits us and self assess. I probably could stay at my current weight (which is overweight by BMI)and tick all the health boxes but I have to admit, it is a bit of vanity driving me to aim lower.

Anzac. Hooray, those workshops were making us all tired, OH is a champion, going out in the rain but I guess the alternative was far worse. Your life would be so much less exciting without Maxx. Hope you can knock that UTI on the head and really enjoy your long break from the office. Looking forward to good news on those scales.

Quakka Just remember those numbers on the scales when you get hungry. I have miso paste in hot water for my FD every time and I’m still amazed how well it works. I also have water porridge for breakfast, I don’t believe I would succeed at this WOL if I tried to put off eating. Just read that you did it, well done you and your soup looks full of goodness. We can relax now.

Lindsay. Ah, Miss 3 and all little ones. I find odd photos on my iPad after my lot have had a play. I hope you were able to a clean off the art work. How nice not to have to cook after a gruelling day, he is a keeper. Definitely a whoo hoo moment, blood pressure knocked on the head. Your food shopping sounds very tasty, new clothes and a home cooked meal. Sounds like a perfect day. That article is interesting, I’m glad I don’t eat much of those group 4 items but I know a few who do. I think it’s LJ who describes them best as ‘non-food’. I find that helps me to resist if I’m tempted.

Thin. I am rather fond of my old scales and i don’t mind if I can’t tell if I have lost or gained 100g. I think it makes it easier for me to be relaxed about it but I might think about it now that OH is also on this journey. He is going to lose weight more slowly so showing even a small loss is going to help him stay motivated. You haven’t mentioned the neighbours lately, have they finally gone indoors?

Cinque. Glad you have settled that caffeine issue and it is in your favour. Can’t imagine what Miso is thinking of. Bobby has been very reluctant to do any final wee walks the last few nights. He just snuggles further into the blankets and pretends he can’t see or hear us. Fortunately he has been able to last until a civilised 7.30 am most days but OH or I have had to amble around the caravan park at 3.30 a few times. We are quite a sight. He has a flashing collar so we can see where he is on the end of his 3 metre lead and we wear a baseball hat which has two LED lights in its brim as a lot of these places are not very well lit. We have startled quite a few people over the years. Good shopping, those floor puzzles are great as long as the little misses don’t want you down there with them. Even now, I’m like a beached whale trying to get off the floor. Enjoy your NFD tomorrow.

Calf Any other words you can throw in here, we get such a good education through this thread. Obviously, you wouldn’t use this word to describe Penguin’s slow worm, we will have to think of another one.

Thanks for the compliments, I don’t think my posts are any better than anyone else’s. I like to talk to all of you, it’s like having 10 conversations at once and each of you have interesting points. I have just found how to make it easier and maybe others haven’t found this yet. I click on your name and then click on ‘replies created’ and can see all your posts since I last looked. I used to scroll up and down on my phone to check each entry and then type on my iPad. I still use both but this new way saves me making a comment or asking a question which has already been covered. Hi to Intesha, Merry, Gday , Rosy and Crazy. Anyone else who is lurking, come on in.

Neil, although mine is now 25, I am not convinced by BMI. It was originally devised to measure populations for insurance purposes, not individuals and the group who provided the original sample population were of Anglo Saxon ancestry, in their middle years and office workers. It doesn’t work well for other ethnic groups or anyone with much muscle. Even the backs in the All Blacks would score as obese. When I was in the RAF it was briefly used as a fitness assessment until we realised that the clerks were passing and the armourers, who do heavy lifting, were not. Agree about magnesium for cramps. – a mag supplement cured mine. My gym is about 6 miles away. It has the advantage of being very quiet on a weekday. It has a social life all of it’s own. I have been working out with the same people for the 16 years of my membership. I never see them anywhere else and in some cases still don’t know their names, but we encourage each other.

Cali, word of the day “crepuscular”. From my bird recognition book – active in twilight, dawn and dusk. Sounded familiar but I had to check.

I managed to miss A A Milne as a child, as did my kids and grand kids. Not sure why. In similar style, perhaps, on Valentine’s Day I bought OH “When I am old I shall wear purple”. Unlike my previous effort of a slim volume of Shakespeare’s love sonnets it was well received. For some reason Rupert Bear is now echoing around my brain.

Lindsay, got your article twice, via Cinque and the Science thread as well. Interesting,

The day was spent in the garden, so by late afternoon an ice cream seemed like a good idea. A Pernod before supper, actually more than one, was a bit of a disappointment. I keep it for putting into fish soups but for drinking I prefer Pastis. Some swine had drunk it all.

I love it. I have just read that the Paris Town Hall has apologised to French Mums who were outraged that their kids’ school lunch consisted of pre-packed triangular sandwiches instead of a balanced cooked meal. I quote “This is verging on a scandal…”

Gah! I’m watching the cricket and NZ were cruising against Bangladesh, but 3 stupid shots and now it’s squeaky bum time.

Aghhhhhh. After a day in a sunny garden the weather forecast says we may get ground frost tonight!

Good morning,
    I need to be quick again as I need to head off through peak hour traffic to pick up Miss 2 for some grandma time. But it is lovely to have yesterday’s fast day done and dusted.

Interesting points about BMI. I guess BMI has to be a blunt tool, to work fairly well for the whole range of people. This time I am contra-Neil-and-Penguin, I am close to the bottom of my BMI range and yet still have extra belly and other unfortunate floppy bits. But it is an impressive guide, given the whole population. Just not to be taken as the only measure.
    Waist measurement is similar. Another good tool, taken in context.
    It is weird judging our weight in a population where so many people are overweight. I am fascinated when looking at footage of the sixties and fifties, what a different physical picture we see of the population.

Quacka, so glad you made it through yesterday! What a gorgeous looking soup!

My miso soup was a little bit different to usual as I was brave enough to use the bonito flakes for the first time. I seeped some in the soup (rather than the usual way of using them to prepare broth). I thought I had been too tentative and couldn’t even taste the difference, but then this gentle smokey, savoury fishiness came through and it was heaven.

Congratulations on reassessing the cakes away from their first pretty presentation and delight. Such a good move.

Cali, I love how you knew I was op shopping, even though I forgot to clarify.
    Right now I am celebrating that I can enjoy the caffeine, but isn’t it a relief that they have found a much better way to decaffeinate, it was throat stripper when it first came in!

Haha re verisimilitude, and eep with Penguin’s new word “crepuscular”. It sounds awful, and yet such a beautiful meaning.
    Penguin, frost! Eep!

Lindsay, good news re your blood pressure. I do hope working your way off the medication goes well. Woohoo indeed!
    And what a lovely day.

Neil, I hope you are not suffering today after that workout. All power to you.

Betsy, that assessment of activity is tricky. Another guesstimate. I think of myself as so sedentary, but I move about a lot more (most days 😉 ) than people who are stuck at their desks for long hours. You do a great range of exercises.

Klondi, what surprise your walking lights must be to strangers. Haha.
    So true with the floor puzzles. My activity level must be mostly correlated with the amount of time I am with the littlies.
    A clever way of writing responses! I think each of us uses a different way to read and write on this forum!

Goodness, I think I will have to wait until I pick up my granddaughter to have breakfast. Well that will make it an even better fast.
    Best wishes everyone for this day.

Accountability: Home made wholemeal English muffin with mushrooms for breakfast.
    Pumpkin risotto and Brussels sprouts for lunch
    Soup for snack, if needed
    Last veggie pot pie for dinner. Plus a mug of cocoa.

Good morning all on a lovely frothy Thursday morning. I woke at 5am and decided to get up, read the posts and go for a walk before the rain sets in. It sounds windy out there but I’ll do it anyway. So I’ve read all the posts and finished my coffee and now I must go. I tend to spend too long here. (Quacka, well done, it was worth it, right? And Cinque, you’ve popped up since I first got here, good morning, I will have to read yours later.)

Good morning, the sun is shining again – hooray

I have to be quick as I have to get stuck into something asap. I just wanted to say that the scales have finally crept down and back into the 85’s! 85.8 this morning. This is my trampoline weight but not this time

Ironically I caved and had some proper bread yesterday AND a tiny bit of potato with dinner. Hmmm.

Have a great day all, I hope I can pop back for a bigger catchup later

Morning.

‘crepuscular’ I think is a good description of my second chin….best seen at twilight I guess.

Cali, Cinque I went caffeine-free for a year when I caused a bit of a panic during a routine doctor’s appointment because my heartbeat was jumping all over the place. Heart monitors, emergency appointment with a cardiologist. Nothing wrong. Then I counted my coffees for the day – 15. A pot before I left home, then back to back meetings with coffee at each one. During the year I was off it, there wasn’t one caffeine-free day that I didn’t yearn for it to be over. Now I’m back to 2 sometimes 3.

Good work Quacka! Your resolve is awesome (and so is your dinner).

Thanks Neil, Penguin for the tips on cramps. I’ll get some supplements. I’ve pretty much given up salt too, so I’m off for blood tests (scheduled already – the doc just added in a couple of extra tests) to see if there’s any deficiencies. Yikes though, when they strike, I leap from my bed like a bullet out of a gun. My OH said he didn’t believe I could move so fast.

Klondi you must scare the living daylights out of anyone coming home after a big night out, and meeting you in the dark. I laughed out loud at the image.

OK work calls. Have a nice grandma day Cinque.

Cali, I have never heard of that ‘v’ word (too lazy to go back and figure out how to spell it!). I do work just down the road from the Queen Victoria Building and yes it is awesome. I love wandering around it and my favourite shop – Victoria’s Basement – is there. It is a mad cave of all things household – think piles and piles of lovely crockery, shelves and walls of kitchen gadgets, tables full of lovely place mats/table cloths/coasters – disorganised chaos and I could spend an entire day in there.

Huge congrats Quacka, I knew you would get through it.

Lindsay, I have suffered muscle cramps all my life – it must be hereditary as my Dad is the same. Bananas are great and so is tonic water for the quinine. I also have tablets called ‘Cramp Eze’ for when they just won’t shift. I too can make like a bullet out of bed when one hits; especially when they are in the calf. OUCH! It sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday, culminating in a nice meal cooked by your OH.

Penguin – frost in Summer? Huh? I hope your garden survives. That was so funny about the Paris Town Hall – the French sound so very quirky and I am very much looking forward to spending a week there leading up to (and including) Christmas. My French is coming along slowly….very slowly…..but I hope to be able to get around with a bit more ease than if we had zero language at all. Hubby is going gang busters with his Italian; it is so ironic….he has never read a book in his life and didn’t do any languages at school but he has such a good ear for them. I did French, German, Indonesian and Latin in the first 2 years of High School then carried Indonesian on for another 2 years. I also studied German whilst working at Dresdner Bank in the 90’s. I am more than an avid reader. BUT – as sods law would have it – as an older adult I struggle with languages now. Hubby and I both studied Spanish when we went to Mexico and mine was appalling and Hubby managed to sound like a bleeping native.

I have no idea what you look like of course Penguin, but with your wonderful way with words I now have a picture of a towering, broad (but slim of course), possibly a little disquieting bloke with an accent like those on Thin’s 4 Yorkshire Men video, a gardening trowel in hand, a clutch of leafy veges in the other, a dog at his side looking up quizzically as you quote Shakespeare to your friends and ending with a very dry but very funny story. I hope that isn’t too rude?

Neil, phew, NZ survived against Bangladesh. My life would not be worth living had they lost. Hubby is a cricket tragic (as well as a Rugby tragic and, nowadays, a Rugby League tragic for his precious Warriors)

Klondi, I agree with your thoughts about this forum. There are always so many interesting conversations going on and I look forward every day to what might be coming up next.

Cinque, enjoy Grandma day and thanks for the info about the UTI. It never occurred to me that the inflammation might be causing me to plateau. The antibiotics are doing their thing and it is clearing up quite quickly for a change.

Betsy, I think you are doing an admirable amount of exercise each day. It leaves mine for dead. I’m lucky to get a 30 minutes walk in during the week and if I’m not being lazy pants about 40-50 minutes hilly walks on the weekend plus our walks with Maxx (which are of course very stop and start).

I hope you had a nice walk Thin as yes, I heard on the news this morning that Perth is about to be hit by a cold change with lots of rain and, in fact, some weather warnings. I hope it isn’t too awful

Ok so much for getting stuck into my task for today. I couldn’t concentrate until I had read and responded to as many posts as possible. Just love this forum 

Good morning all

Lindsay, I loved your use of the word of the day. It made me laugh out loud 😉
    Thank you Penguin for that word and also Cali (I think) for the other word that I can’t spell. Lol

Anzac!!!! Yay! I’m so happy for you. Sometimes it just takes some patience for all your effort to show up on those pesky scales.

Thanks for the congratulations and ‘well dones’ about my FD yesterday. Funny thing? Scales are showing I am up 100g today. I am putting it down to excess salt as I had the stock cube drink, miso paste drink and then miso soup for dinner and that also contained soy sauce. I am not too worried and I’m still very happy that I completed the FD and it was only 400 calories. I am also really happy with how my weight has started to move down again. It’s never a perfect straight line.

Cinque, I love bonito flakes. I have also left them in the soup when I made miso soup as I don’t mind eating them. Have you seen the bonito grater that the Japanese use? Apparently you can buy a block or a piece of dried bonito and grate them yourself to make the flakes.

Ok, time to do some work as I am finishing early today to go to the hairdressers. Have a lovely day everyone x

Brilliant walk thanks Anzac, crimson sunrise, spectacular although slightly spooky on the pitch black river path with just the reflection from the city lights on the river. Who knew so many joggers ran before daylight? Well done reaching 85k! Yippee. Down you go …..

Klond, I read that your OH was wearing a flashing collar until I got to the leash part. You’ve given me some ideas though ….. Thanks for asking about the neighbours. They have retreated indoors thankfully. We only have to hear them coming and going now. They have a souped up jeep thing that apparently needs revving for 30 minutes before and after the actual trip. It is pure bliss compared to summer though.

Quacka, well done to you too – I didn’t lose any weight after my FD yesterday either. Sometimes I drop 700g, sometimes I don’t. I thought of you last night while watching, “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” which had never appealed to me before as I’m not a romcom fan. DD and I wanted something mindless and I admit it was quite amusing. Some of the things you’ve said about food came up which made me chuckle. That poor non-Greek groom!

I’ve run out of time again. Have a fabulous day all.

Good morning everybody. I have to head to the city this afternoon to the dentist for a filling replacement, however I have a morning at home with no specific commitments. I finally have time to sit time and actually read all the posts on this page.

Lindsay, like Quacka I too hooted with laughter at your innovative use of crepuscular. I think we get to a certain age where dim lighting is necessary for smoothing out the wrinkles.
    Thanks for the link to the ABC science article on ultra-processed foods. I liked the NOVA food classification system that they included – very straightforward way of knowing which foods should be dominant in our diet.

Quacka, well done sticking to a FD despite the challenges and for your attitude about not getting n immediate weight drop. That big pot of mushroom-broccoli soup should keep you going for a few FDs. I think one of the reasons soup is such a good FD food is that with all the extra volume from the base broth it’s really filling.

Anzac, A big congratulations on getting into the 85s. You started this week with such a positive attitude and I really hope that the reward on the scales strengthens it. (I find my state of mind has a big impact on my food choices and control around food.)
    I hope your UTI clears up quickly, what horrible infections they are with constant irritation to drive you mad.

Thin, I remember the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch – such a good example of one-upmanship. I’m afraid though that every time I hear that accent I want to remind them of the existence of the word “the”, it never ceases to irritate me. My only exposure to British accents growing up were my English grandmother who had emigrated from Kent at age 18 and the English tv programs that the ABC broadcast in the 1960s and 70s. For a long time I knew only one type of English accent. It wasn’t until the late 70s that I realised just how many and varied accents there are in the UK. Some require me to pay very close attention or I struggle to understand what is being said. I have even more difficulty with Scottish and Irish accents. I usually just hope to recognise enough words that I’ll be able to fill in the blanks.

Cinque, I hope you enjoy turning that bag of veggies into some lovely meals. I look forward finding out what in your accountability posts. I still have to look up the odd meal that I hadn’t heard of before – like poha. It sounds a bit like the flaked rice my mum used to use to make rice pudding. It was the only type of rice she could use as just seeing normal rice grains caused a PTSD reaction for my father.

Penguin, I hope your newly planted flowers survive the frost. Will a little straw around them help?

Klondi, I have an image of the 3am walkies with Bobby. Not a pleasant task in winter, but as you said, better than the alternative consequences.
    You are traveling through areas I’ve never visited so I look forward to your reports on what you are doing. The woolen mill sounds interesting. We used to have one here too but it closed in the 1990s and it’s just a museum these days: http://lobethal.sa.au/visitor-info/onkaparinga-woollen-mill-museum/ It’s where the onkaparinga woolen blankets used to be made. I remember having those on my bed as a kid.

Cali, you mentioned having to talk your OH into eating Thai chicken leftovers for dinner. Does he not like having leftovers? I always find it a blessing that there’s a meal ready to go and I don’t have to cook.

Neil & Penguin, although BMI is widely used these days I think the appropriate level for an individual is personal and your GP should be able to help you work out what is healthy for you. I am still in the 25-30 BMI range but my GP is very happy with my current weight as I have reversed all of my previous weight related health issues. I think the point at which that happens varies a lot from person to person.

Betsy, when you get to maintenance you will get a better idea of your actual TDEE. The calculator here says that mine is 1570 if I am sedentary (and 1800 lighlty active). It is a gross exaggeration for me. I know from daily weight tracking and calorie counting that my actual TDEE is about 15% less that this. There is individual variation with most people being +- 10%. The good news, as Klondi mentioned, is that 5:2 helps a lot with maintenance, as you get to “bank” calories on FDs that make a low TDEE on the NFDs much more bearable. I can’t manage on my TDEE which sits around 1400cals – it feels like a constant diet. But with two FDs that are usually around 400cals it gives me 2000cals per week to add into my NFDs when I need them – and I always do!

I had the last of the strawberry puree with kefir this morning: https://imgur.com/a/NCFmZ7Y I’ll miss it, it was a lovely way to consume more kefir than I normally would.

Although I hate wasting food, I have decided to throw out the last of the risotto milanese as I just can’t face any more rice. So I’ll need to rethink today’s lunch.

I’m going to make another cup of tea and read the next chapter of my Bridge manual – I don’t think I’ll feel like doing it tonight after the dentist.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,101 through 21,150 (of 28,018 total)

You must be logged in to reply.