Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,914 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  KellyClarkson 18 hours, 12 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,951 through 12,000 (of 28,018 total)

• Hi Intesha, well done on the weight loss.

I have a bit of driving to do today. My elderly uncle had some heart issues on the weekend and is in hospital for tests. My aunt had her own medical appointments today and as she won’t drive anywhere other than around our town I’ve offered to take her to her appointments and then onto the hospital to visit my uncle.

NFD today, but I might need to rethink my planned lunch as I will probably be in the car.

Monday fasters – have a good FD.

CaliD, the balloon cake took 5 1/2 hrs. Once the fondant is on and the cake sealed it does not need refrigeration and should keep for about two weeks depending on the cake used. I have made a plan for doing my Mums cake and that will be over 10 days, I have already made the blossoms and coloured them. Usually you make the cake, next day ganache it and that would be the only time it goes in the fridge. Then a day or two later put the fondant on and then again day or two later decorate it. It can all be done in one day if needed but it’s best to take your time to do a good job.

The handbag cake took 8 weeks of night classes but I had made a fruit cake and soaked the fruit in rum first so it is still going strong and tastes delicious.

Thanks LJoyce, probably mostly fluid, all the wine I consumed in Melbourne but as we say a loss is a loss no matter how it happens.

I’m finally home and having my first cup of tea (or two) since 9am. At least it was a mild sunny day here so lots of driving parking and waiting (and reading) was actually quite pleasant. I have a confession. I was meant to be avoiding discretionary foods M-F, but my aunt gave me 2 jelly cakes to say thankyou for driving her around. I’ve just eaten both of them. Very delicious, but not what I’d planned to eat today.

Intesha – I took cake decorating classes at TAFE in the 1980s. Although I don’t do it anymore because of the arthritis, I used to really enjoy it. I made some birthday and christening cakes, but my most ambitious project was my own wedding cake. My mother baked the fruit cakes for me and she made an extra bottom tier. This gave me a “canvas” to practice on until I could be sure that my cornelli work pattern and placement was right before working on the final cakes. It ended up being quite helpful for the caterers as they were able to precut my practice cake for handing out to guests. The actual bottom tier ended up being split between both parents. My ex-husband and I were both from country towns and we chose to have a fairly small wedding in Adelaide. By sending home such a large slab of the wedding cake, our parents were able to invite people over (who we hadn’t been able to invite to the wedding) for afternoon tea and offer them some wedding cake. It all worked out quite well. I kept the top tier in a container for several years.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.

A bit of trivia for those interested.

A week or so ago on one of the other forum threads, there was a debate about the differences between pikelets, crumpets and muffins – there were some real terminology differences between the countries which created a lot of confusion. It bought me back to one thing I’d always wondered – why are scones called biscuits in the US? Unexpectedly, on the weekend, I got an answer. When looking for fruit loaf ideas I was reading Elizabeth David’s book on English yeast baking – in addition to recipies she gives a detailed history and reprints some extremely old recipies. She has reprinted some old “biscuit” recipies for soft biscuits. The more recent recipie in her book is called a “Soft Biscuit” and is from Scotland in the 1940s. The oldest recipie is from 1843 and is called a Guernsey Biscuit. It’s a very time and place specific recipie as it calls for 2 pence worth or barm (the froth from the top of fermenting liquor) how on earth would you translate this to a modern recipie – let alone find a source for barm in the first place.

Not only do I find the history of cooking interesting, I’ve also always found it intriguing that language evolves so differently in different locations.

Way back in 1887, Oscar Wilde wrote in his novella, The Canterville Ghost, “…….. we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language”.

LJoyce. Did you see the bit about edible faggots on the July 2017 31 day challenge?

thinatlast. It isn’t just language. In the 1990s I was working on an Anglo/US/French communications satellite. I came fairly late to the project and was told that it would have flown already if at the early stages everyone had realised that Europeans design these things with the metric system and the US still use feet and inches. I still don’t know if that was true.

Penguin, they needed a few Aussies of a certain age working on that satellite (basically anyone who was still at school in 1970).
    Australia stopped using imperial measurement and officially adopted metric in 1970. As I was part way through school I had already learned imperial measurement and was then taught everything again in metric. So I can claim to be bilingual when it comes to measurement. I’m still perfectly comfortable working with either metric or imperial.
    We switched from using Farenhiet to Celsius for measuring temperature at the same time and I can still remember the quick conversion formula.

I didn’t see the post about faggots, but I know what they are as I watch lots of cooking shows and I seem to remember the Hairy Bikers making some. If I remember correctly they are basically a sausage without the skin that’s sometimes wrapped in caul fat to hold them together. I guess no-one bothers these days, it’s easier to make meatballs.

Sounds right – I think in inches but measure things in centimetres, except in the garden where my rows of veg are ‘x’ inches apart. My car gets refuelled in litres but the engine management computer gives me fuel consumption in miles per gallon. I assume that is the British gallon – the US gallon is smaller. My exercise log says miles or km, depending which country I was in when I ran it.

My dad was a builder and when metric first came in they produced tape measures and builders folding rulers that had both metric & imperial on them. After 2 years they were no longer produced and only metric was available. I remember my dad getting rather pissed off that he could no longer buy a ruler that had feet and inches on it. Although once he adapted he loved it – probably because measuring by the mm is slightly more accurate.

Not sure my mum adapted though – she still cooked & baked in ounces and pounds.

Good for Mum, so do I. Except for bread, there I use the metric system. We changed the same time as you, but my new electronic scales let me work in either.

I still have many of my mum’s and grandma’s handwritten recipies – all in ounces, pounds and pints. So I have to be bilingual when it comes to cooking.

There are some things I don’t weigh at all. Plain flour, eggs, milk, salt & pepper makes Yorkshire puddings or pancakes/crepes. Suet, self-raising flour, water, seasoning makes dumplings. My kids think this is a male thing, but actually it is the way my Mum taught me to make them when I was about 6yrs old.

Good morning all. FD today 68.3.

Interesting conversation about recipes and cooking. I still have cookbooks that belonged to my grandmother that go back to the 1800’s. In this day and age people wouldn’t eat what they cooked back then.

Good morning everyone.

Hard day yesterday as granddaughter woke coughing at 3am and then didn’t get back to sleep. (This is what happens when you let them go to day care! 😉 ) Dropped her home at about 10, to her lucky mum and little sister who have the same cold. Hoping they are still surviving.
    Sadly, when I got home I didn’t go straight to bed, but made myself pancakes instead. I spent the rest of the day doing the best I could, but that didn’t include anything productive. I have now had a very good sleep (for me) so hoping to have a productive day.

I feel I have finally got over the antibiotics and that false sense of hunger they gave me. (I can’t blame the pancakes on them!). So hooray for the rest of the week!

LJoyce, I love love love linguistics and also love love love the history of cooking, so we are soulmates there! Great to know about the scone/biscuits.

Penguin my UK friends hate my recipes because I don’t generally weigh things. I found out recently that when the staple school cookery book ‘Cookery the Australian Way’ was written, few household had scales and it was common to measure in cups and spoons so they used that in the book, thus cementing it for generations.

Cali, I am so glad your reunion went well, and glad that you could feel so good about yourself. Doesn’t it show what an epidemic obesity is these days.

With people talking about baking, I remember the grieving I did giving up sugar because so much of the baking I loved were sweet things. Mind you, illness had prevented me from doing as much as I wanted, but still it was another painful loss.
    I am much better off concentrating my cooking on the ‘mostly vegetables’ types of food, and making the rare muffins, pies etc savoury as possible. Luckily there is lots of fun to be had with them!

Well, off to tidy up this bombsite and write my to do list!

Cheers to everyone. Judging by what is in the fridge I think I will do a Thursday fast this week.

PS Yes, you did it Intesha! Picture showed up just as it should!

Penguin & Cinque – I think every cook worked out heir own measurements with their own kitchen tools. Both of my grandmothers measuring tools were an old teacup that had lost its handle and 3 metal spoons from normal tableware – a large table serving spoon, a dessertspoon and a teaspoon – they would all have held very different amounts than our current metric measuring tools. Their hand written recipies always describe whether something was scant, rounded or heaped. I actually have my mothers old cooking spoons and I get them out when using old recipies.

I still use some of the really old recipies – mainly for jams, chutneys, cakes, biscuits and old fashioned puddings, although they need to be adapted to modern appliances. For example some of my nana’s jam recipies talk about heating the large copper that was normally used for boiling clothes, and all of her old baking recipies were done in a wood oven where you had to stick your hand it and decide how hot the oven was by feel. Long ago most of the family favourites were adapted to a modern stove – mainly by my mother because she needed to figure out how to keep cooking things when our wood stove was removed and replaced by an electric one.

Cinque, one of my biscuit cookbooks explains the origins of the words “biscuit” and “cookie”. Biscuit comes from the French and means twice cooked – referring to very crisp biscuits that would keep crisp for travelers (eg ships biscuits). Cookies comes from the Dutch koekje meaning little cake and originally described biscuits of a softer texture. Eventually each country seem to settle on one term and apply it to all biscuits/cookies regardless of whether they were crisp or soft.

I’ve noticed that where there is a difference between the English and American words for things we tend to use them interchangeably in Australia – combining our language history of using the English terms with the influence of American culture through our television. Eventually I think we will adopt one or the other and it will become the norm. An obvious example is peanut butter. When I was growing up it was only ever called peanut paste, and the labels on the jars called it peanut paste. In the 1970-80s the commercial TV channels started showing a lot of US programming and so “peanut butter” started being known. I think the greatest influence was probably Sesame Street. Now, not only does everyone call it peanut butter, every jar on the supermarket shelves is labelled as peanut butter. We completely transitioned from one term to another in about 30 years.

Hard fast yesterday. Nothing but clear fluids, then a glass of kefir at 9pm. Down 4 lbs, feeling fit, calm, relaxed and no part of my body is hurting me. In the afternoon I drove into town, visited the Polish shop and bought kefir, sauerkraut and mixed pickled veg. On my none-fasting days I’m trying to encourage my gut flora with lots of fresh veg and fermented foods.

My loose food measuring device is a very old tablespoon, it was old when I was a child and I defend it from female suggestions that it should be replaced. My grandmother didn’t have electricity, gas or running water until the late 1960s and cooked on a Primus stove. She had something like a large tin that sat on top and functioned as a oven. I don’t think she ever had a recipe book. Memories can be deceptive, but I remember her as a good cook. I find that I remember the older generation when I do things the way they used to – planting a row of peas I automatically mutter “One for the birds, one for the mice, one to rot, one for me.”

I have just remembered a better excuse for a Brit being on this site. One branch of my family lives in Australia. I have never met them and have no idea where they are. My daughter has visited them, so I’ll quiz her the next time we meet.

Thanks Cinque another skill to add to my list😉

Penguin I think all of us have been interbred you don’t need an excuse only a purpose to be on this forum. One of my ancestors came out in the first fleet and he wasn’t a convict. He was a marine on the Sirius. My Dad was in the Navy and was in the street lining party as part of the Australian contingent for the coronation. My ex comes from Mansfield and my daughter has lived in Essex for the last 14yrs. We all have interesting histories.

I told my Dad why you were called Penguin and he had never heard of it.

End of an FD for me.

Happy fast day ending Intesha!

Congrats on your excellent fast day Penguin. None of the females I know would have a problem with your spoon! I still have one of my mum’s big silver (plated) tablespoons that I use for measuring.
    I love the pea chant! I will use it come Spring!
    And I wonder which of us will live nearest your Aussie relations!

I knew the cookies and biscuits etymology LJoyce, and the fact that ‘biscuits’ doesn’t properly describe what we cook, means I don’t rile too much that my daughter tends to say ‘cookies’ (thanks Sesame Street!). The peanut paste may have been more local to you SA’s? I grew up with it as peanut butter in the 60’s.

I’ve had a good NonFastDay, hope everyone else has had a good day too!

Cinque – must have been a state difference then, because I was born in the early 1960s and it was definitely peanut paste in my early years. I knew of a few differences between states (eg fritz/baloney) but I hadn’t know that one.

Intesha & Penguin – our ancestry links are definitely pretty tangled. Sometimes we don’t even know just how many links there are until someone decides to do a family tree. I was lucky enough to have a relative on each side of the family who put a great deal of effort into tracing family history. We’ve learned a great deal that wasn’t known by current generations, and it became obvious that some things had been deliberately hidden by past generations. I found it quite interesting to see what previous generations considered unacceptable and worthy of hiding.

We have tried to do a family tree. The problem is that most of my ancestors were illiterate :- fishermen on Mum’s side, country labourers on Dad’s. They were recorded as whatever the Parish clerk decided to record them, if they were recorded at all. As a result we can find records of my great-grandfather’s marriage and death, but not his birth. On my father’s side most of the men went to be soldiers and at least we can find their military records. These give a date of birth that usually doesn’t match any other record. As late as 1939 my Father lied about his age to get into the army. There is family folklore that one of Dad’s ancestors was transported to Australia, but absolutely no evidence has turned up yet. He nearly was himself – between the wars the children of poor families were shipped to Australia without their families “for a better life”. If Grandmother hadn’t put her foot down I could be Australian!

Penguin, it’s extremely lucky that your father was not sent to Australia with the other poor “orphans” (many of whom were not orphans at all, just in care because their parent couldn’t afford to care for them at that time). They had an appalling abusive upbringing in Australia and it was only in the 1990s that the Australian and British governments accepted their responsibility in this. I don’t think they were sent just to Australia, I think they went to many other Commonwealth countries as well.

You are also right about the inaccuracies in older records (those that exist). When one of my grandfathers tried to apply for the age pension he was told he had to wait another 4 months – apparently he’d been celebrating the wrong birthday for 65 years. Even my own birth certificate has recorded my mother’s name incorrectly – her name was recorded as she was known in our family rather than by her official name – makes it difficult when trying to reconcile documents.

My father also lied about his age to join the army in WW2 (I think it was fairly common). I’m sure he regretted than in the end, as his experiences in New Guinea left him with PTSD that got worse with age. It became a real challenge when he developed dementia as it became impossible for him to escape his traumatic memories.

I also have my father’s and grandfather’s military records. I had planned to re-trace my grandfather’s path across the Middle East and Europe in WW1. It’s on my list of things to do in retirement.

Hi, Good to read you’re through your course of antibiotics Cinque and that the extra hunger sparked by them has now passed. The pancakes sounded delicious, by the way!

Intesha, I loved seeing the purse cake and also the hot air balloon cake too! What works of art! Keep the photos coming since I can admire the artistic element and that doesn’t actually spark cravings for me. It is interesting to read what types of cake and edibles are under the decorations and to think that the decorations are able to be eaten, such as the purse handle, is intriguing!

I’ve had a couple good weeks in a row in which I was happily maintaining and today I’ve kind of gone off the rails again and am planning to fast on Thursday this week. I’ll definitely need a reset day by then!

Hello to all Hemispherites!

LJoyce. I have never been to New Guinea, but I’ve been in other jungles. That was without an aggressive and competent enemy, but I still don’t want to go back. The older members of my family who had been through hard wars never talked about it. As a lad I didn’t understand why, but after 27 years in the service I did. We see a lot more PTSD now. I don’t think the people are very different it is just that we are better at recognising and treating it.

I would love to trace my Grandfather’s path but it would be difficult – he was on his way home after 12 years in northern China and India/Pakistan when the first war started. He spent the next 4 years in what he called “the Messpot’, Mesopotamia or Iraq to us. I think it has changed since he was there. As an indicator of how well our leaders study history, his Regiment were in Afghanistan on three separate occasions before our latest effort. On one occasion the British got beaten up so badly that the Regt subsequently had the name “Jalalabad” on the cap badge.

Hi Everyone. I’m finally back home. The reunion and trip were fun, but it’s always good to be back home. Back to my scale. 😄 I did pretty well on eating. There were a couple big meals but also a lot of skipped ones. I lost a little over a pound while I was gone, putting me at 139.2 or 63.1 which is the lowest I’ve been since starting the 5:2.

I had typed out a long reply and then lost it when going back to find some links. I was commenting on the biscuit/cookie discussion, that other than biscotti (which is Italian) and baking powder biscuits, the only thing we call a biscuit in this part of the country is dog biscuits. And some boxes of those are marked dog cookies.

In looking up a recipe and photo for baking powder biscuits, I remembered “Biscuits & Gravy” a rather popular breakfast dish in the southern US and one we occasionally see on menus even up here. I’ve never liked it. I think it should win the award for most unhealthy or fattening breakfast ever! There’s a photo down near the bottom of the page of just the biscuits & gravy without the sausage. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/biscuits_and_gr/

Good morning!
    Welcome home Cali, and congrats on that lovely low number!
    (And thanks but no thanks for the biscuits and gravy 😉 )

Hi Minka! I’ll fast on Thursday with you!
    Hope we both stay on the rails today!

And everyone else! Hi, and keep on those lovely shiny rails if you can!

I’ll Fast with you both on Thursday too. Today (still Tuesday here) is a FD for me because I was traveling yesterday which is my usual Monday FD.

Morning all, I’ve enjoyed the military discussion. FD for me, just finished the first A&C milk coffee. LJ or anyone else fasting today?

Penguin, I’m impressed by your ‘hard fast’. I’ll be embarking on a 24 hour fast next week; my plan is to eat a normal dinner the evening before we travel, enjoy a cup of decent coffee before leaving at 4.30am, eat nothing all day, drink lots of water and and then have a light evening meal on arrival.

CalifD, you’ve cooked up some unpalatable food memories from when I lived in the deep south. Biscuits and gravy with grits usually served with slices of fried sausage. I thought it was a disgusting way to start the day but it remains a very popular breakfast in the south. The gravy is made from the drippings of pork sausage. Good job on the weight loss. And Intesha.

Hi Minka, Cinque, Merry, GDSA and everyone else.

Morning all,

Penguin – I think the reason so many men enlisted in WW2 without understanding what it would be like was because WW1 veterans just didn’t speak about it. My grandpa didn’t ever talk about the war, even if asked he would not speak about it. Really the only time there was and oblique reference to it was ANZAC day. My dad and grandpa both marched as long as they were able. When I was young my dad was much the same, he never spoke of his war experiences except for funny incidents that had happened. I suspect though that he may have talked to my mum about it, because after she died he started needing to talk to my sister or I about his experiences. The stories he told were horrendous and I understand why he still felt tormented.

NFD for me – sorry Thin, I’m fasting tomorrow Cinque, Minka & Cali.

Cali – welcome home, well done with your weight, it’s so difficult staying on track when you’re away. I find that if I’m not the one in charge of the kitchen I’m in trouble.
    The sausage in the picture didn’t look tempting but I’d happily have the biscuit by itself – with butter. (The way I make scones is actually closer to an American biscuit recipie than most scone recipies because I don’t add sugar and I prefer to use buttermilk or soured milk in the dough. It gives me a crisper surface and a really soft fluffy interior.)

Cali or Thin – what do grits taste like? I always assumed it was the American version of porridge made from corn rather than oats.

Gritty. 😆 And bland. I’ve seen people smothering them in butter. They’re made from corn or hominy.

Thin – might taste better if treated like the porridge I ate as a child – with lots of brown sugar and some full fat milk. Although “gritty” doesn’t sound like an inviting texture. I assume that corn was more plentiful than oats in the south, so cereals evolved accordingly.

I might manage close to a 24 hour fast tomorrow too as I have afternoon appointments, which is when I’d normally break my fast on a FD.

From memory, it was a savoury dish so I’m not sure about adding sugar and milk. It was 40 years ago so I’m not certain on that.

Enjoying my fasty morning watching the downpour. Last night, DD took OH and me out for dinner to thank us for our support during the first two trimesters of the year which was a lovely gesture. We went to an Indian restaurant. The food was exceptionally good as was the service. Damage this morning was limited as I had just one large spoonful of rice. Good thing too as plain steamed rice was $4.95 so we expected a huge bowl – but it was really only enough for one. I remember the days when complimentary poppadoms appeared on the table, rice came with every dish as did a triage of chutneys & raita. Now everything’s an add-on. But it was very delicious.

DD reminded us of our trip to Portugal last year where they have a traditional of bringing all sorts of extras to the table – but then charging you for anything you ate. When we first arrived, OH was getting stuck into what he thought were complimentary sides like bread and butter, various hors d’oeuvres, etc only to discover these items on the bill!

*sorry, had a tradition of

Thin, grits that are gritty probably aren’t cooked well enough or with enough water. I think the ones I had were made from hominy because they were white. I first tasted them when visiting New Orleans and occasionally buy and make them at home. They’re good with salt, pepper and a little butter. http://debbienet.com/hominy-grits/
    Some people add cheese. They’re more of a savory dish than a sweet one LJoyce.
    I prefer porridge.

Love Indian food!

Only kidding about grits being gritty. 😆 More like semolina texture I would say. But the blandness I do remember. Loved New Orleans but it’s probably another of those places I should commit to memory and not return to, like Port Douglas.

Thin & Cali – I have made made porridge from semolina – really creamy texture and I quite liked it – with milk & sugar of course, definitely not salt, pepper or cheese. I was in hospital recovering from what they thought was appendicitis, but turned out to be a vicious gastric virus. Once I was finally able to tolerate food they offered me a very limited range of foods that included semolina porridge. Until then it had never occurred to me that you could even make porridge from semolina. When I went home I continued to make it for a few days while my appetite and gut slowly got back to normal. I still resort to it when I run out of oats but feel like porridge.
    I have also experimented with other grain flakes for porridge – quinoa, triticale and spelt. Qunioa flakes dissolve and look a lot like a semolina porridge, but triticale and spelt require overnight soaking and retain a slightly chewy texture. I have developed a habit recently of combining oats, quinoa and spelt flakes, soaked overnight to make porridge. I get the best of all worlds that way – creamy and chewy.

I have just cooked what feels like a very decadent food – egg noodles. I normally never have white wheat or rice noodles/pasta in the house – although I will eat them occasionally at restaurants. I needed to buy egg noodles to go with stroganoff that I’d made for a “bring a casserole” dinner. I’ve just cooked the remaining noodles so they have time to cool before dinner – I’ll reheat it with hopefully a bit less starch from the cooling process. There are more noodles there than I thought, so I’ll split them and create 2 meals. Tonight I’ve teamed them with a small tin of tuna in chilli oil, sundried-tomato pesto, baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. I’ve also taken a small container of stroganoff out of the freezer to have with the remaining noodles on Friday.
    Mostly I use konjac noodles at home, but when I do want pasta I usually use one made from lentil or soy flour.

It’s 3pm, again I had to wait a little longer for my soup, this time because I forgot to take a portion from the freezer. Good idea to cool the noodles hoping that there’s less starch, LJ.. I’d be using them up too, I don’t like food waste. Dinner is the other portion of Spanish Fideos from Sunday. I’m making pizza for the OFMs, a decision I may well regret when I start to smell the aromas.

Making pizza on a FD that you have to watch others eat – not sure if that’s awfully brave or just tempting fate. Hope you make it through dinner easily and enjoy your Spainsh Fideos. I’m sure it’s even more delicious than pizza.

Probably stupid planning, although I’ve not had pizza for 3 years. I’m confident that I won’t eat it but I may torture myself in the process. LJ, I’m starting to question my use of konjac noodles now. I was one of the posters really advocating them a couple of years back. Especially when JustJulie discovered that they were available at Asian grocers for a fraction of the price. Now I’m starting to question whether it’s good practice to pay money to eat a fake food with no nutritional value? They’re high in fibre so I suppose this makes it OK? But is it really just a ‘diet’ food? It’s not as if I serve it to the OFMs. I’ve just found this review on a similar product which sort of makes me feel better about my Spanish Fideos tonight! What do you think, LJ?
    http://foodwatch.com.au/reviews/item/product-review.html

Thin, I haven’t thought of konjac as a fake food. If I’ve understood what I have read about konjac, it’s a tuber, but unlike most other tubers it doesn’t contain all types of carbohydrate (starch, sugar, fibre), just the fibrous component. I don’t see this as any different to turning a tuber such as potatoes into gnocchi. It’s not as if kojac has been artifically created to contain just fibre and water – that’s its natural make up.
    I’d hate to give it up as I really need a minimum of 40g fibre most days and it’s quite a struggle to get that much fibre and still try to keep my grain intake at a moderate level. On fast days I eat so little that I get very little fibre without the konjac. Mostly I use the Changs low-cal brand because the packets are smaller and cheaper and I can use the whole thing in a meal – Splendier need to be divided. I do prefer to have konkac as my key fibre source on one of my FDs and usually legumes on the other FD.
    The only problem I see with a product like konjac noodles is that it can encourage people to make fewer changes to their diets – they can keep having lots of pasta and noodle dishes, just substitute konjac. So the potential to re-educate ourselves and eat a wider variety of meals that include more legumes and veg for instance, may be lost. Sometimes we really do need to make fundamental changes and substitutes can be a bit of a crutch that stop us doing this.
    I have noticed that there is a real tendency for people to do this when adopting a new eating philosophy. When the “I gave up sugar” movement began – what were all of the sugar- free recipies plastered all over the internet for? – desserts. The same goes with regimes like paleo – what’s the most common recipie when you search on paleo – bread. People want to believe they’ve adopted a new eating regime but they don’t really want to have to give anything up. The fist thing many do is look for substitutes, whereas to adopt those regimes genuinely means changing your thinking about and approach to food in quite fundamental ways – most people just aren’t willing to make that level of commitment to change in eating.

Thank you LJ. I knew you were the person to ask. I feel much better now. Konjac is an occasional FD for me. On NFDs, I no longer eat pasta or noodles and I eat rice & bread in very small quantities and only occasionally. So, I do feel I have made some positive changes to my diet since starting 5:2. I haven’t been brave enough to make any commitments like cutting out all sugar. I didn’t use added sugar before and I’d always viewed cakes and desserts as the enemy, only something to celebrate a special occasion. Cutting out all natural foods containing sugar or starch is a step too far for me.

What you say about Paleo, etc is one reason that I do love IF so much – it allows for a wide scope of foods and can countenance absolutely any type. We can strive to make our diets increasingly healthy within that framework – yet we are restricted by nothing.

Anyway, I’ve now had my Spanish Fideos, 142 cals and feel so full. I made the pizzas without putting anything in my mouth and some of those ingredients looked very tempting. I’m no angel though, I spirited a few things into a tupperware to nibble on tomorrow – a little chorizo and some bocconcini. The aromas were pretty good too but, by then, my Fideo dish was also ready.

Thanks for keeping me company today – another dead easy FD almost over. Only one more before our holiday. All the best to you, Cinque, Minka and CalifD for yours tomorrow. I will think of you all in the morning as I sip my hot, frothy coffee!

That was very interesting reading Thin!
    I think they were using ‘fake food’ as a term for ‘replacement food’, (as LJoyce indicated) like oat milk could be called fake milk, or gluten burgers be called fake meat.
    So it is only to westerners who are replacing wheat noodles with them who are using them as fake food.
    I am just reading the Food Safari book and under Japan’s ‘eassential flavours’ they have listed konnyaku, so definitely not a fake food there!

End of a good day for me. Looking forward to my fast day tomorrow!

Forgot to mention on the 14th that it was my second anniversary of my first fast day! Woot!

Congratulations on your second anniversary Cinque! And thanks for the information. It was my Asian neighbour who planted the seed of doubt about my use of konjac. I shall report back to her! I have been meaning to ask you about Yam Daisy but remembered that you mentioned there being an update on YD’s FB page which I will now try to find.

Good evening all. Loving the chatter around old recipes, measurements and cooking methods. I have fond memories of staying at my Nanna and Papas house as a child with the old wood stove (Metters – was that the make?) going non stop in the kitchen with the huge steel kettle sitting on top. My favourite mixing bowls that I use regularly belonged to my nanna and mum.

Ljoyce yes I remember it as peanut paste and not butter so must be a South Aussie thing. Haha Sesame St…..were they referring to jelly (as we know it in Australia) when they spoke of eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? I always wondered about that as it sounds utterly disgusting.

As for cookies I always pull Miss D up when she calls biscuits cookies. It’s one of my pet hates. I always say to her ‘we call them biscuits in Australia and in America they call them cookies – we are Australian’. No offence intended there CalifDream.

Ive been using soba noodles in a stir fry for awhile now and really like them. Havent tried konjak.

Ljoyce I had a great find at Woolies last week. Paris Creek Farm Cottage Cheese. The label also called it Quark. Do you know if that means it’s different to a normal cottage cheese? It seems smoother and not lumpy/watery like other brands. Was really yummy on top of brussel sprouts.

Miss D’s cake baking session went well on Monday. I was so over it by mid afternoon I didnt bother baking anything for myself. I helped her with the cake baking for which she insisted we needed to double the mixture. My largest bowl was barely adequate and the little hand beaters were struggling with mixing such a large quantity. The mixture filled 2 large and 1 small round cake tins plus 24 cupcake patty pans !! Miss D also insisted on making the icing and decorating herself without me seeing what was going on. There lies the mistake ! 2kg of icing sugar was used to make icing and most of it ended up stuck to the bench and sink along with 2 blocks of 90% cocoa chocolate grated and again most of it stuck to the bench and sink. The icing in the piping bag wasn’t a success – too runny. The end result was a 3 tiered cake with icredibility sweet icing. Miss D was very happy with the end result and had a great time – it tasted quite nice. Cupcakes were frozen (un-iced) and copulous amounts of cake are being packed into her school lunchbox each day to share with friends. Will post pictures in a few days when this post is further up the chain so she doesnt see it. She went to a lot of effort to take great photos as she wants to impress you all !! Oh and she still won’t believe that the handbag is actually a cake.

Still maintaining the same weight so may do an extended fast later in the week. Eating cake is not helping shift the last 1kg but I cant say no after all her efforts. I’m really surprised I havent put weight on to be honest.

Bedtime for me now. Good night everyone.

Quark is what we bought when living in Germany and wanting cottage cheese. It varies a bit but is either cottage cheese or a close relation. In UK shops it sits alongside cottage cheese in the dairy section and seems interchangeable

My claim to an Aussie family connection is looking a little thin. My daughter only knew the older generation, who lived in Adelaide, but they would now be in their 90s and communication seems to have ceased.

The good news is that a two day fast has put me within one pound of my target weight. That target was set about 5 years ago, before I discovered 5:2, and seemed ambitious at the time. The target has now been re-set 7 lbs lower, and we will see where we go from there.

Hi GDSA
    Hope first day back to school went without drama.

The jelly in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is jam. What Aussies call jelly, Americans call jello and what we call jam they call jelly. Although technically we do have preserves that are called jelly, eg quince jelly, mint jelly, red currant jelly – it’s a similar process to making jam, but is strained through cheesecloth to make a clear jelly that sets like jam, but doesn’t have all the bits of fruit in it. One of my grandmother’s grew both red and black currants and both were made into jelly each year. The red currant jelly was used with meat in a similar fashion to cranberry jelly but the blackcurrant jelly was just used like jam. As to peanut butter and jelly, it probably doesn’t taste much different to peanut paste & honey, which is more common here. (Although I didn’t discover its delights until I went away to college – I lived in one of the University residential colleges in North Adelaide when I did my first degree, so I got to see an awful lot of different eating habits first hand. Some were awful and others were a delightful discovery.)

There are 3 soft fresh cheeses that are similar – Quark, ricotta and cottage cheese. They are similar but not quite the same as they are made from different dairy byproducts and are heated to different temperatures when creating the curd. Cottage cheese is made from the thin watery buttermilk that’s left behind when making butter. Quark and ricotta are made from the whey that’s left behind when the curds for hard cheeses are removed. For both cottage cheese and quark, the whey is heated to blood temperature, but for ricotta it’s scalded. Because they use whey or buttermilk, they are naturally low fat cheeses if they are made the traditional way – historically they were a way of not wasting anything. I find quark has a sourer taste than the other soft cheeses – this is because the traditional process includes fermenting – similar to yoghurt. I have found quark is a useful substitute for both ricotta or feta when baking. I often find feta too salty, so in dishes like spanikopita I usually replace some or all of the feta with quark. Quark can also be used in baked cheesecakes – I find it interchangeable with ricotta in baked cheesecakes.
    I am familiar with the Paris Creek Quark – I buy it intermittently. I’ve tried a few brands but I think Paris Creek is the nicest.

Sounds like you had a well iced bench top as well as iced cakes. At least she had fun and there’s one item in the lunch box you don’t have to think about for a while.

Well done with the stable weight even with cake. Hope that last kilo does a disappearing act soon.

Penguin,
    I’m impressed. I only ever tried a 2 day fast once. Once was enough. I’m definitely a 1FD at a time gal.

Well done on the weight loss. Just be a bit wary about the moving goal post. It’s easy to never quite be satisfied when losing weight. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t change your goal weight, just think carefully about what would be healthy for you and decide to be satisfied for that when you get there.
    This is actually a bit of advice I got from my dietitan and it did make sense to me. I kept moving the goalposts – like I was denying myself the right to be satisfied with my weight loss efforts.

By the way, it doesn’t matter how tenuous the Aussie link is, you are still welcome here.

LJoyce. I understand what your dietician is saying. I am actually quite pleased with myself but I do have more to lose. I have lost masses, but still have a BMI score of 26. Not that I believe in BMI, it doesn’t work for anyone above average height or with much muscle – the entire All Blacks rugby team are either overweight or obese by their BMI scores. Five years ago, when I set my initial target, I was enormous. The year before my father and younger brother were both dying and my wife had just had a knee replacement. They lived 250 miles away. I was spending my life in a car eating pies and chocolate and drinking fizzy liquids. My problem now is that whilst I am reasonably satisfied with the actual weight, the balance of muscle and fat isn’t what it used to be. That will be rectified.

Penguin, congrats on getting to within 1 pound of your target weight!
    One thing about setting target weights is that as we get older we seem to carry the weight differently. At my present weight of about 63 I look reasonably thin, at least with my clothes on where the little bulges aren’t seen around my waist. But 30 years ago I looked way overweight at this weight. At that time 55 kg was a perfect weight for me. But about 10 years ago when I got down to 58 I was looking thin and any more weight probably would have been too much. I think sometimes we need to set a goal and then see how that weight looks after we settle at the new weight. And sometimes we set goals that are too high. I’ve set 58 as my goal now, but I’ll reevaluate as it gets closer. All are within my normal BMI.

Peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches are practically a staple here for kid’s school lunches. Manufacturers even mix them together in one jar, but those don’t taste very good. I just looked at the ingredient label and it’s no wonder! Yuk! http://www.smuckers.com/products/peanut-butter/goober-pb-j/goober-strawberry

Cinque, congratulations on your 2 year anniversary!

The question for which I have never seen an answer on any of these sites is – what does an older guy you do about the floppy bits left over where the fat used to be?

Viewing 50 posts - 11,951 through 12,000 (of 28,018 total)

You must be logged in to reply.