Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,901 through 11,950 (of 28,011 total)

• Hi Calif Dreamer. I didn’t know that about shortened colons and reduced cholesterol – sounds good to me, I’m missing about 12 inches. The guy who did it did a very neat job, so no scar tissue problems.

Turmeric seems to be regarded as good for pretty much anything across Asia. I’ve seen it dusted on an open wound as an anti-septic. It was also one of the spices in this evening’s stuffed marrow.

thinatlast. For some reason I had gained the impression that adding shredded beetroot to the meat in a Hamburger was a Southern Hemisphere thing. I’ve tried it but I may have added too much beetroot – had very red burgers and the family were not impressed. Pickled beetroot was a favourite of my parents but I never took to it. I grow it because it is easy and looks good in the ground, but mostly I give it away.

I have just looked at “10% Human” on the Amazon site. Using the “Look inside” I came across the statement that the appendix holds a ready use reserve of gut bacteria to repopulate the gut after internal problems. Splendid – I may after all have some activity in there. I’ll have to get a copy.

Good morning everyone,
    Ha, I only just got here before you yesterday Thin!

Like most Australians I grew up eating beetroot pickled, from tins. It was pretty much the only pickle we had!

In my twenties there was a thing for having it raw, finely grated, along with other salad vegetables, but I didn’t really love it, I was just surprised that I could eat it at all!

But I have lately come to love it! I do understand people who don’t: that combination of sweet and earthy is unlike anything else.
    I make a great pasta sauce with it, which is basically beetroot added to tomato. The colour is fabulous, I call it ‘glorious sauce’. And I just love it roasted!

I made a dough on Tuesday so I could have flatbreads with my felafal. Very nice and I rolled up the leftover dough to make a little loaf and baked it. Very nice too, had it for breakfast this morning.
    But it is so long since I have had bread made that quickly (only two hours rise instead of my 18 hour rise loaf made with just a pinch of yeast – same ingredients!) and I am so struck by the difference in taste. It is still much nicer that bought bread, but it just hasn’t got the complex, deep flavour of my usual loaf.

That appendix info is very interesting. Clever bodies!

Cheers everyone!

So glad that everyone’s enjoying ‘10% Human’. Penguin, I remember reading in it that the appendix was thought to have evolved to be redundant but in fact is vital for storing bacteria in reserve. Interesting about cholesterol too.

LJ, your rain has come west. We’ll be taking some soggy walks this week but I’m not complaining. Enjoying my first frothy coffee of the day.

All good wishes to CalifD & the Thursday fasters. And everyone else.

Hi SHs, It’s grocery shopping day, which means I get my kefir today – looking forward to trying it.

Thin, I’m quite surprised our rain headed west, sorry about that. Normally the weather heads east. If I want to know what weather I’m about to get I look at WA as it usually arrives here 2 days later. I’m lucky enough to actually have sun here today – it’s the first sign of it since last Friday.
    As to the cheese, I use it in 2 of my normal FD meals: caluiflower cheese soup and veggie omelette. In both cases I use parmesan or pecorino, because they have a very strong punchy flavour so I don’t need much to get a cheesy flavour. I mostly use about 10g (160kj-38cal) of parmesan in a recipie on a FD. That is a well rounded tablespoon of grated parmesan for the brand I use. My soup last night tasted strongly of cheese – so this small amount really is enough. Another meal I used to make for FDs, but haven’t had in a while is to make a bowl of steamed or dry roasted veg and serve it sprinkled with parmesan. I have tried using cheddar in FD meals, but to get the flavour I’m looking for I need to use too much cheese.

Time I went shopping, just in case that sun disappears again, before I get outside.

Hi all. FD for me today. First one in ten days. I well and truly fell off the horse and it bolted 🙃…..

Weight this morning 😂😂 69.3. Hopefully I am back in the right mindset and have set a goal of 7kg in 14 weeks which is my birthday. Anyway one FD at a time.

LJoyce I make my own water kefir and I think it has been good in keeping my weight stable, unless I have a pig out as has happened recently but still I think I would have put on a lot more weight without my daily dose.

My trip to Melbourne was great, went to the Yarra Valley and sampled the wines and all that goes with it. Straight back into the daily grind and stress. Sometimes makes me wonder if it’s worth going away.

Good morning to all of you. I need to get to sleep so I can get up at 2:00 am to leave at 3:00 and catch an early flight. Ugh! What was I thinking booking such an early one? I’ll be checking in but a busy 5 days ahead. The high school reunion is Sat night.

Hi all

I’ve just tasted kefir for the first time – it was delicious. It was so creamy – like drinking runny cultured cream. I bought “Milk Thief” brand and one litre was $10. On the bottle it says it contains 0.5% kerif grains and has 1 billion good bacteria – a serve is 100ml, so it should last 10 days if I can stop myself going back for seconds. I’m definitely happy to have this in my diet every day. I have read that you can make kefir without grains my mixing fresh whole milk with kefir and leaving it on the bench for a day or two, as you would if making it the normal way – the bacteria in the kefir will eat the lactose in the fresh milk and multiply. I might try a small batch using a little of the kefir from this bottle and see what happens.

Intesha, glad to hear you caught that horse – sometimes they take a bit of chasing down. Interesting to hear you can make kefir in just water – I found some recipies online for water based kefir but they all contained quite a lot of sugar, so I had previously ruled that option out.

CaliD – hope you enjoy your reunion.

Thanks for filling me in on the cheese LJ. I’ll keep parmesan in mind. I’m pleased that you like kefir. You can make it as you describe but it’s hit and miss, 50/50 whether it will work from what I’ve read. Although a billion sounds like a heck of a lot of good bacteria, trillions are needed so, if you do proceed, I really recommend you get some non-commercial grains such as those I posted the link to on gumtree at the top of this page. Commercial supplies will always be depleted because of the pasteurisation process. I love the idea that my grains could potentially be hundreds of years old – or more!

Well, maybe it wasn’t your rain LJ. It was 25C here on Tuesday so perhaps you’ll get that next.

Ha ha Intesha! At least you had fun. And now a new goal to meet. Looking forward to hearing of your progress now that you’ve said it out loud. I know you can do it.

Safe flight CalifD. I wonder where the reunion takes place. I’m guessing somewhere in the mid-west.

Hi Thin that’s why I posted it. Very nearly didn’t but thought this is what the forum is all about and newbies need to know we all have bad days, weeks, months but it’s having the courage to admit it and keep going.

Had a good FD and feel better for it.

Good evening all. Unusual for me to be posting at night as I’m usually asleep by now (9.30pm). Miss D has a friend sleeping over for a few days and it apoears they are in no hurry to hit the sack tonight !

A successful FD for me today with an intake of 359 cal. I certainly needed it after yesterday. Very light drizzly rain (yay finally a bit if rain) cold and windy outside made for a day spent inside craving comfort food. I made a lovely caramelised onion and feta tart and an even lovelier lemon pudding for dessert – with custard and thick cream of course. The pudding was actually a cake recipie but was a bit too lemony to eat by itself. I now have 5 individual slices in the freezer for another day.

I decided to have my first batch of chook eggs scrambled, filled with herbs and a generous serving of steamed spinach and kale – all from the garden. Yummy indeed ! They have laid 2 eggs a day the last few days so a good start from the girls.

Thinatlast I’m with you, the look of beetroot and the colour leeching out into other foods makes me feel ill. I cringe just looking at it.

Big_Bill I have an extremely fussy 9 year old which makes my healthy eating regime difficult at times as she is very limited in what she will eat and won’t try anything new. Hoping things will change as she moves into the teenage years.

Well it’s time for me to give the girls the 5 minute warning till lights are out. I suspect sleep will still be a way off yet as there will be giggling and chattering going on for awhile.

GDSA – lemon pudding, I think I’m drooling, and I’ll probably be dreaming of it to. Hope it was fabulous.

I haven’t weighed for nearly 2 months. Not since I decided to stop trying to lose more weight and maintain. Well on the spur of the moment, I decided to hop on the scales this morning – I was up by 1kg. Not the end of the world but I’ll need to continue to watch my food choices on the NFDs so it doesn’t get out of hand. We have 2 more dry days forecast here so I have plans for outdoor activities which should also help. I can feel the change in my body when I just sit around the house for a few days.

Good morning,

Cold again here. Surprise. But the mornings are getting noticeably lighter.

I hope all the Thursday fasters had fun, and now the Friday fasters are taking the baton. Cheers to you!

And further to my comments yesterday on my bread. That quicker rising bread isn’t good for me! Led to overeating 🙁

Enjoy your soggy walks Thin, Melbourne is quite happy to have the rain go your way this time! But do send over that 25 degrees! A three day journey, I’ll be waiting!

Loved the way you described the taste of the kefir LJoyce! What a treat to taste delicious and provide such darling microbes!

Intesha I am so glad you had a wonderful trip to Melbourne, and well, you needed a break out. I know it feels like prison to be tied by your responsibilities, can you console yourself that it is a lot better than most prisons?
    When my illness felt like such a life sentence, I got great comfort reading The Cave in The Snow about a British woman who became a Buddhist nun and spent 12 years living in an isolated cave.
    It made me realise that there is another way to look at isolation and being cut off from opportunities.
    Hoping you can find consolation.

Cali, hoping you are having great fun!

Gday, did you get any sleep! I bet the girls had such fun!
    So lovely to hear about the eggs. That omelette and greens, what a treat!

Minka, I hope you aren’t swamped with assignments already!
    Hi Big_Bill,
    Hi Joffy wherever you are!
    Hi Penguin, Pintinlin and everyone whose name has fallen out of my head!

Fast day tomorrow for me, must buy some chicken today.

GDSA, it must still be school holidays if the girls are giggling a Thursday night away in SA. Great result with the eggs – any duck eggs yet? I’m surprised to hear your DD is a fussy eater. Not sure why I’m surprised, but you give the impression of the perfect mum providing a wide variety of new & nutritious dishes with a strong influence on your DD. Our DD was a fussy eater too and, even at 21, I find she still dictates what’s served for dinner. For example, she doesn’t like fish so we have far less than I’d like just because I don’t want to make two different meals or listen to the comments. Fortunately, OH is always grateful for anything I put in front of him. And, the more of it the better!

LJ, I don’t know how you exercise so much restraint wrt the scales. They are my constant compass. I’ll be taking my travel scales to Thailand in a couple of weeks. 700gms of my 7kg baggage allowance. I intend to practice three 24 hour fasts while away. Each trip requires a different approach depending on where we go and the nature of it. I feel that my entire life should embrace IF, not just the bits that suit me. It’s especially important on this particular trip as there’s no self-catering, OH will be eating by the clock (i.e. 3 times a day) and the food on my 6 NFDs will likely comprise a lot of rice/noodle based dishes which I’m not used to these days adding to the overall intake.

This is probably over the top for many and I’m not spruiking it as the right way, it’s just my way. Planning ahead works for me. The question is, can I stick to a 24 hour fast? The first of these will be a travel day which I think Merry sometimes embraces on a FD. Nothing from dinner at home the evening before until a light meal on the evening of arrival. I don’t think avoiding Air Asia meals will be any great sacrifice! Today I weighed in at 59.9kgs so I feel I’m in a good starting place.

Cinque, I loved what you wrote for Intesha. You could copy/paste many of your posts and compile a lovely book of thoughts. I bet the teaching profession misses you. Yes, Pintlin, not long until your big trip now – how’s the quest for double figures coming on? I wonder how PerthGirl and Boy’s cycling trip in Europe is going.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Are there any Friday fasters?

Agree totally Thin, Cinque has a way with words and always has something positive to say. I should/am grateful for the life I have, roof over my head, food in the house. It’s just that I get frustrated because I am not getting any younger. 67 this birthday and I’ve already been in this limbo for 3 years and feel like my life is slipping away. There is so much I still want to do but fear it’s not going to happen. Anyway cup is half full and I should acknowledge that.

Weight this morning 68.7. Will probably do a Sunday FD .

kefir on muesli -yum. I decided to have a bowl of muesli with stewed apples, blueberries & strawberries for lunch. I’d normally pour almond milk and a little greek yoghurt onto it, but I used my daily serve of kefir and just enough almond milk to get the texture I like. It was wonderful, I’ll definitely do that again.

Cinque – I had a bread overeating day yesterday too. Not because I baked, but because I bought a loaf of my favourite sprouted rye bread when I went to the organic store to buy the kefir. I struggled to stop eating it – I had planned to have 2 slices and ended up eating 4 before I got it sliced and into the freezer.

Thin – I understand reliance on the scales. When I got to my goal weight 2 1/4 years ago, I used to count calories and weigh myself every single day (sometimes multiple times per day). Every time my weight went up I cut back to about 800 calories until my weight went back to my chosen level. It was a constant yo-yo because my weight is quite volatile over short periods of time, so I spent time almost every week on 800 calories. It also meant that even though I was maintaining, I felt like I was still on a diet. Reducing my dependence on the scales was an important step for me. It was actually easier than letting go of calorie counting, because my clothes are always a good guide to what my weight is doing – especially my jeans. If I can easily do up my tightest jeans I know my weight is ok. If the legs of my jeans feel a bit tight but the waist doesn’t, then I know I have increased inflammation around my joints which means my weight will be up but not due to food or body fat. If my jeans are tight around the waist then I know my weight will be up and it’s probably overeating and body fat that’s the culprit – time to be more careful with my food choices. I do often check these changes with a tape measure so I’m clearer about what’s going on. Oddly this gives me more information than the scales do – they give me a number but they don’t tell me whether it’s my food intake or my inflammation levels that caused any change. I used to feel quite stressed by the number on the scales so managing without them much of the time is better for me.

Time I went out into the sunshine to do some pruning.

LJ, I sometimes wish I had a more relaxed approach to all this like you and Cinque. And Intesha’s ‘life is for living’ and Merry’s ‘get back on the horse’ approach. This is why I say my approach is not the right one, it’s just one of many. 5:2 accommodates us all so well. I think it’s my addictive personality that requires me to be so vigilant. Replacing a food addiction with a fast addiction. Although I’m coming up for three years on this WOL, I still have a fear of slipping back into bad habits. I still weigh obsessively. I don’t think I’m as in tune with my body as some of you seem to be so I need that constant feedback.

Intesha, I too feel trapped but for different reasons. We want to support our DD through her very demanding uni course in every way we can. This ranges from paying her fees so she doesn’t come out of uni with a horrendous debt down to taking her cups of tea when she’s holed up in her room studying. I know that when she leaves home, she’s not coming back so I’m torn between wanting to cherish the last of our time living together and wanting to get on with the rest of our lives which involves selling the family home as a start. As late-life parents, we feel the sense of time slipping away as you describe. I understand too that we have a finish line whereas your lot probably feels that it has no end date. And you can’t wish for that end date for obvious reasons. I really hope you can avail yourselves of all the support that your Dad is entitled to – he may be a very proud man and not feel he needs help, but YOU do. Carers need to be looked after too. I’m all for those who fought for our freedoms getting properly supported by our government when they need it. I hope you can make that overseas trip happen. Oh, and that’s a good start on your new goal!

Hi All,

I’m fasting again today (Friday) instead of my usual Saturday. I intuitively felt to fast today so went with it.

Intesha, I remember reading about your water kefir on previous pages. I love the taste!

I make my own kombucha and like Intesha, I also feel that it helps me with cravings and is very satisfying to drink a naturally fizzy drink that tastes better than soda pop and is good for me. I don’t drink it on FDs though since I’m unsure of the number of calories in a glass of my home made brew.

I was reflecting on my goal weight and the process that I went through to eventually determine what that actually was. I have to chuckle because besides my goal weight being based on how I eventually felt when I’d reach a specific weight, it was also just as much based on a pair of pants I wanted to fit into! As soon as I was able to fit into my Rodney Clark slacks that I hadn’t worn for perhaps a decade, I felt like I’d reached my goal! So, as long as I can fit into those slacks, no matter what weight I am, I consider I’m maintaining my goal! I enjoyed wearing them this week!

Intesha, I also wanted to say how much I’ve enjoyed reading about your baking! How I wish I could have seen a photo of the cake you made that looked like a women’s purse! …Also the ‘Dolly Varda’ cake sounded fun. I had to look that one up to see what it was. I hadn’t heard of that type of cake before!

LJ, same for your baking creations, they often sound beautiful, such as those cupcakes you decorated with two types of flavors and themes, wasn’t one lemon and the other strawberry, if I recollect correctly!

I very much appreciate culinary works of art!

Good evening,
    I am feeling quite well (she says tentatively) at the end of the day.
    Ready for a lovely fast day tomorrow!

Thanks for nice comments about my writing, I do know it could just as likely come across as irritating, but I figure that it is usually better to say something than not.
    Intesha I’m only 60 and I have that feeling of “I don’t know how long I’ve got, I want to DO stuff!” and I am pretty much able to do the things I want most to do. So I can imagine that you are super frustrated.
    Thin is right. I wish there was someone looking after you. I expect your Melbourne friend did for a bit. Good luck with the old fun of looking after yourself!
    I know you would have told us if you had worked out a way to do that trip overseas, so that is ‘no news is bad news’, but I am still hoping you will start a cake and biscuit decorating business!

And cheers for life back on the horse!

LJoyce, your muesli sounds delish. Hmm I managed to eat my loaf of bread over three days. Lucky it was a little one. Still had the munchy remnants today, but I think my fast tomorrow will fix me.

Minka, so lovely to think of you in your Rodney Clark slacks!

Thin, I used to feel the heavy burden of thinking my daughter would need to live here til she was about 27 to get her through uni etc. Then she floored me by moving out before she was 18, and explaining that she didn’t want to go to uni. I was absolutely torn with worry for her future…. and a delicious feeling of freedom. Oh dear, it was true. And it was really good for my health.
    Luckily she has made her own way nicely (and that grandma duty isn’t nearly as onerous as a child at home!).

Oh well, I have tidied the kitchen and written a long post! good evening everyone!

I finally got organised and made a bread dough this evening as I have no fruit bread left in the freezer. I made my usual high fibre dough with wholemeal spelt and rye flours and rolled oats. I’ve flavoured it with orange zest and juice, cranberries, currants, pecans and lots of cinnamon and cardamon. As usual it was a “make it up as I go along” effort, so after a slow rise overnight I’ll find out if it’s worth baking tomorrow.

Not sure when my next FD will be – probably Sunday.

Goodnight all.

Another evening post for me while waiting for the girls (children not chooks) to wind down for bed.

Haha Thin I wish Miss D was eating all the nutritious food I prepare but unfortunately a lot of it is eaten just by me. In saying that she does eat healthy food but her range is limited. I cant complain though as I know of other kids who live totally on junk and processed food.

Planted some garlic and lots more carrots today as Miss D has been raiding the vegie patch and eating the carrots even though they are still very tiny. Small peas and beans are starting to appear and the herbs are growing full on.

Yes school holidays in SA at the mo and no duck eggs as yet but I’m eagerly waiting.

Seems like pigging out on bread is spreading amongst us. I found a loaf of rye sourdough at the supermarket yesterday and have been mowing my way through it. Rather nice indeed especially lightly toasted but not good for the waistline I suspect !

Last night I finally finished reading the Paleo book thats as thick as a brick. Now I have no excuse and I have to get stuck into my study as i have read all the food/health etc books in the house.

It has been lovely reading everyone’s posts and for those fasting tomorrow I hope it goes well for you.

Hi Everyone! I’m visiting my aunt & uncle in Wisconsin and we’re getting ready to go out for a late lunch. The reunion is tomorrow night and a smaller reception at a restaurant tonight.

Doing well with NFD so far. I miss my scale! Thin, I wish I had one small enough to travel with! But my jeans still fit well, so I think LJoyce’s jeans test will get me through the trip. LJoyce, so glad you like the kefir! I kind of figured you would. I agree with thin on trying to make it from store bought kefir. I tried that at first, but just ruined a lot of milk. Can you actually strain out grains from the stuff you got at the store? If you can, you might have a better chance of it.

Cinque, glad you’re feeling better,

I’ll write more later. Got to go for now,

CalifD, I know you like Amazon so here are some travel scales similar to mine for next time! https://www.amazon.com/NewlineNY-SBB0718M-NYBK-Step-Travel-Bathroom/dp/B004V8EBOI

Intesha has sent me a photo of the cake that she made that looks like a woman’s purse. I don’t believe it’s a cake. Absolutely amazing. And if it really is a cake, how do you cut it? And is the handle edible? I’ll send it to Cinque and see if she has time to post a link for us. You really have missed your vocation Intesha.

Have a good FD Cinque and the other Saturday fasters.

Good morning,
    Just as well you posted first today Thin!
    Here is Intesha’s wonderful cake! http://imgur.com/a/2Fmql
    Stunning!

Yes it is fasty mcfast day for me. I have just got my coffee Bliss.

Hello to Wisconson, Cali.

Gday, I’ve got a theory that small families lead to picky eaters. My (only child) daughter was dreadful. Always polite about it, but just wouldn’t eat so many things. In comparison, I was one of 7.
    Yes, yes, I know I am generalising too far! 😉

Hope your bread is gorgeous today LJoyce!

See you later!

Thanks Cinque! Who thinks it’s a cake? And who thinks it’s one of Intesha’s handbags on a cake stand?

You could be right about the only child thing. I respect food preferences because of my beetroot aversion but I believe most of it was behavioural. Like GDSA’s Miss D, our DD ate healthily but with a limited scope.

Hi Thin, Cinque, Intesha, GDSA, Minka, and anyone else who’s reading

The bread dough barely rose overnight. I knew I was taking a big risk by adding the fruit and nuts before the first rise. It makes the dough a bit heavy for the yeasty air bubbles to lift it. (The sweeter dough also makes it harder for the yeast.) So I rescued it by making a runny dough from warm water, white spelt flour and more yeast and letting it bubble up. Then I mixed it into my heavy fruit dough. The new combined dough has been sitting in the sun for an hour and a half and has now doubled in size. So it seems to have done the trick. Looks like I’ll be baking a fruit loaf this afternoon after all.

I’ve had a rampant appetite this morning. Even though yesterday was a NFD I did under-eat, and I suspect it’s catching up with me this morning.

GDSA – hope your household managed to get some sleep. An eggy breakfast?

Thanks for posting that photo Cinque. Wow, it looks like someone left their handbag on the cake plate! What a clever lady you are Intesha.

Thin – I wasn’t trying to suggest your method of keeping your weight stable was wrong – just trying to explain why I had decided it was wrong for me. I think it’s important to have weight maintenance tools that we find helpful and give us the reassurance that we need, nothing wrong with using scales as that tool if it works for you. I was obsessed with so many things – not only was I weighing myself at least once a day (and sometimes I weighted many times in a day) I was weighing and calculating full nutritional profiles for absolutely everything I ate as well – I was scared to stop in case I ended up obese again. But I knew that if I kept going the way I was, I would “hit the wall” and stop all of it suddenly (I actually did that for 2 weeks last December and gained 9kg). I had such a dependence on the scales but also I hated them as they so often didn’t reward my efforts. I knew I had to find other tools that helped me maintain. I’m still not sure I have the balance right as my weight isn’t as stable as I’d like it to be, but I definitely feel less stressed without the scales. Every time I got a bad number I would binge, which just made me feel worse. I don’t understand why, but if the tape measure tells me my waist measurement is up or my jeans are tighter I don’t have the same adverse reaction. I suspect my love-hate reaction to the scales goes back a very long way for me – too much negative history. Jeans on the other hand have positive feelings for me. I wasn’t allowed to ever own jeans when I was growing up as my mother thought I was too fat for them. (I was promised I could have some if I lost enough weight, but I never lost enough to satisfy my mother while I was living at home.) My jeans that I wear often now are special to me. Partly because I can find jeans that fit that are in the normal size range and no one is telling me I can’t have them. I also feel motivated to keep them fitting me properly.

Time to go and punch down my dough and shape some bread.

Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday (or Friday for Cali).

All good LJ, I hadn’t taken your post that way at all. This is why coffee meetings with facial expressions are better than posts in a thread. Even with emoticons 😆

Hi Thin, I can’t even use the emoticons as I always use my laptop for this and I’m still on Windows7. I think it’s why I take so long to word and edit my posts because I’m always concerned that something will be taken the wrong way, as I’m definitely aiming to be supportive not offensive.

Well, I can say that the fruit bread was definitely victory snatched from the jaws of defeat. Not only did it work in the end, it has one of the best flavours ever. Because of the extra dough and yeast I added it was a large batch. Enough to make 8 small fruit buns in addition to the loaf.
    The buns are out of the oven and I have already gobbled one up and I’m trying to stay away from the kitchen to avoid scoffing any more. The only drawback of my haphazard way of cooking is that when a recipie tastes great I haven’t much hope of making it again because I didn’t follow a recipie and I didn’t measure most of the ingredients, I work by eye, feel and taste. It’s always seemed weird to me that I can be so precise with most things in my life, but not cooking – for me I need it to be an intuitive creative process.

I wish you all lived closer, with a kitchen full of baking I’m all set to host afternoon tea.

Thin it wasn’t really that good. I did cut it straight down the middle and took half to my friends in Melbourne together with a dozen decorated cupcakes, iced biscuits and friands. I guess I should have found another hobby.

I did another cake course today. I will send the picture to Cinque as I have no idea how to upload it to this page. We could have great afternoon teas with all the baking that is happening so it’s probably a good thing we don’t live close.

That cake is amazing, Intesha! It almost looks like one of your handbags on a cake stand! I love fancy looking cakes, but they look so great I wouldn’t want to cut into them and wreck them.

LJoyce and thin, I am definitely obsessed with the scale for all the same reasons mentioned. This is probably a good thing for me to be away from it for several days. Thin, the travel scale is cool, but still sort of big to have to pack. I don’t know, we all vary some days due to water weight even if we’re eating well. So even our home scales aren’t exact. Maybe when I get down to my maintenance weight I’ll be less obsessed. Or maybe more afraid of gaining it back. Maybe getting down to weighing a couple times a week would be good….

LJoyce the fruit and nut bread sounds great. You’re right about adding them and getting the dough to rise though. Good solution you came up with to save the dough!

Reception thing was fun tonight. The actual dinner and all is tomorrow. This turned out to be almost a FD because it was so busy.

Here is Intesha’s next masterpiece!
    http://imgur.com/a/6JBbl
    Beautiful!

By the way, I use imgur to show a picture. It is easy and free. Just go here: http://imgur.com/upload and if you want to upload a picture from your computer, click browse, find the picture and then click ‘open’. Once it loads you just need to copy the url at the top of the page and then paste it here 🙂

But I am happy to do it!

Two hours until miso soup!

Just as well I can’t smell your beautiful loaves and buns LJoyce!

So, enlighten me Intesha, is that handle edible? What about the bits that attach it to the bag? Apart from the lava lamp, what’s inside the bag? From someone who couldn’t even bake a cupcake, I’m in awe. I am still not sure that you’re not all having me on that it is actually a cake. I hope you have started a portfolio of the designs you’ve completed. Next time, please take a photo that doesn’t have a lava lamp spouting from it. A photography course is calorie-free by the way. Ha ha ha, just having a laugh with you – these masterpieces deserve magnificent photography. I can’t stop looking at it.

Thanks for teaching us how to fish Cinque. That one’s lovely too. Here’s a little cake I knocked up earlier: http://imgur.com/a/D7lMw

Thank you Cinque, I will see if I can get that app.

Thin you are funny, yes everything is edible, I can take a picture of the now leftover cake if you like 😉😉

I took the photo on top of the cupboard in the spare room, I do have others taken in the kitchen and I will send them just for you. I couldn’t believe I had made it and when it was sitting on the kitchen table I kept wanting to pick it up.

Today’s effort was a hot air balloon as you can see and I get quite possessive of them and I never want to cut them.

The ladies at the nursing home get lots of treats so someone does benefit from my efforts.

Haha Thin! Impressive! Here is my masterpiece 😉 http://imgur.com/a/2GERs

Ok so, since no-one believes me, that gold & white cake was also one of Intesha’s that, from memory, she made for her mum’s 90th birthday about a year ago. I cropped the kitchen paraphernalia, he he he! I can’t bake but I am not too terrible at photography. That programme is very cool Cinque! Yes please, I would like to see the innerds of that cake.

I am starting to feel very grateful that we don’t live closer! I don’t know how some of you manage to lose any weight at all with all the homemade bread and other goodies that you make. The smell of bread baking or toast is a killer for me. I think I could resist the cakes as they are too pretty to eat as you say.

Cinque, that looks like something cooked up by a vet student. Here’s a cake my daughter made for a competition at uni entitled ‘edible embryology’. http://imgur.com/a/8YArV

Intesha I was impressed with handbag cake, but the balloon and the gold cake are amazing too.

Thin – when you say you don’t know how I lose any weight with the smell of baking – maybe that’s why my weight isn’t heading down at the moment. Although I find when I get into the rhythm of baking regularly I have more restraint than when I bake less often.

I have made of pot of sweet potato, zucchini, carrot & red lentil soup which I will have for dinner and will see me through the next few day as well.

I don’t know LJ, some people seem fine with bread. I can only get away with occasional and very small quantities, half a roll at most, perhaps if soup is all I’m otherwise having for dinner. Definitely no pizza, sandwiches, toast in my daily life. I wasn’t receptive to this when I started 5:2 but, after a long plateau, I tried cutting out white carbs and, hey presto, down went the weight. You, more than most, would know whether it affects you in a certain way with all your record-keeping. That soup sounds nice. We’re having salmon steaks for dinner. Decided to heck with it, DD is having pesto pasta! All the more for us.

Wow Thin, I thought you had found the gold cake on the internet, so I went and looked for one too! (But I looked up ‘cake fail’ to get a laugh). Beautiful work Intesha!

My veggies are cooking, chicken breasts were cheap so I have half of one I brined and sliced, ready to put in. Just the evening for a big hot savoury bowl of soup!

It might be worth getting the Imgur app Intesha, to keep albums of your work, I just use the free bit (which means you don’t know what photos you will be butted up against!)

… Ten minutes later. Soup is ready! Bye!

Intesha, I love the balloon cake. You are so talented! You should definitely keep a portfolio of all of your cakes. The are works of art. How long does it take to do one? Do you have to refrigerate it if you set it aside to take a break? Please keep posting pictures of them. They’re so pretty!

Cinque, I laughed so hard at your cat cake photo! I’m afraid that’s how mine would work out if I tried.

LJoyce, the smell of baking bread is almost irresistible to me. I remember as a child in school, going on a tour of a big commercial bakery. It smelled so good in there that I told my mom when I got home that when I grew up I was going to be a baker and make bread every day! Someone should invent “bread perfume” that smells like baking bread. Very enticing, don’t you think? 🙂

A friend of mine took a cake decorating class many years ago where the decorated wedding cakes and such. They used styrofoam cake forms to decorate. That would solve the problem of wanting to eat them! I think one reason they did that was because layered wedding cakes are so large, there would be too much cake left over.

Cali – I think that’s why bread maker machines were so popular in the 1990s. It gave everyone the chance to enjoy the smell of baking bread.
    Enjoy you reunion tonight.

Time I went to bed, it’s midnight here, I’ve gotten caught up in watching the Tour de France tonight.

Morning all, I’m having a very lazy Sunday.
    FD for me, anyone joining me?
    Instead of my usual piece of fruit mid-afternoon I’m going to have kefir with some strawberries mixed in. Dinner is one of my FD regulars, stir fry veg (brocolli & beans today) with konjac noodles, 60g chicken breast and peanut sauce.

Have a nice Sunday.

Happy Sunday Fasting to the Sunday fasters .

Hi to all, lovely sunny winter day here.

Well done Intesha! You obviously have a talent you’re developing beautifully.

I’ve been a few days behind on posts so have been catching up today. I am joining Thin in the :
    Weigh daily
    Have travel scales will travel
    FD on travel days – mostly
    Not at home in the kitchen!
    Don’t bake….bake?..,,,what’s that!
    Can’t show you special occasion cakes I’ve made
    Only small portions of certain things whack the weight on eg potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, rice, bread, etc etc doesn’t take much.

Just south of you Bill, and waving to penguin over there across the very big pond.

By for now,
    Merry

Hi LJ, I’m fasting too but I’m a bit late getting here. I was hungry most of the morning and immediately realised that I deserved it because of eating Connoisseur ice cream last night. Which of course is exactly the reason for not giving in to the hunger and for having a FD. By noon, I was fine and didn’t even think about the soup as 2pm came and went. Like last Sunday, we had a visitor and I’ve only just had my first feeding. I’m also having konjac but in Spanish Fideos.

Hi Merry, how’s everything going for you over there this week? All calm and even I hope. Seems we have a lot in common according to your list!

Cinque, how’s your post FD going? It’s a rare day when you don’t post, hope all is well. I thought your cake disaster photo was a dog!

Fast day yesterday fine. Not hungry today, hooray. Awake in the night, then slept in. Then change of plan to go earlier cooking with daughter. Then home with coughing grandchild. About to go to bed.

see you tomorrow

Good evening all. I’m loving the cake pictures and banter. Well done Intesha I’m mighty impressed indeed !! And well done LJoyce on the bread making…..sounds delicious. Miss D and I are having a baking day tomorrow (her school doesn’t go back until Tuesday) but I can guarantee you won’t get any handbags or hot air balloons from our kitchen !! I’ve downloaded the app so will attempt to post our baking successes or disasters as the case may be.

Yay the house is back to one child only. Miss D and I took a drive through the hills today as one of the little country towns was having an ‘all town’ garage sale. Yes I bought more crockery (Miss D’s eyes rolling 😩😩) and lots of other wonderful finds such as cast iron saucepan and frypan and 2 pairs of high heels – all still in boxes brand new for $2 each. Plus a visit to my favourite Op Shop yielded 4 skirts, fitted jacket and summer dress all for $15 and all perfect fits. Win win I say.

Still sitting at 1 kg off my goal weight which I’m happy with seeing as I havent put in much effort over the school holidays and I have pigged out a bit.

Have been drinking ginger tea (real ginger not teabags) which I’m really enjoying. Never used ginger much before but bought some awhile back for a stir fry and now I’m becoming quite addicted to the taste.

It’s going to take all my willpower to not eat too much cake mixture tomorrow. I would rather the raw mixture than the actual cake. Miss D is making a choc and vanilla layered cake and I haven’t decided what to make yet but my choice will come from one of my healthy eating cookbooks – I keep having thoughts about date slice and muslie biscuits….

Feathered friends update – 2 chook eggs per day and nil duck eggs. Good night all.

GDSA – good luck with the baking, hope the kitchen aromas are delightful – remember it doesn’t have to look like a work of art to taste great.
    I meant to ask whether your ducks are confined or allowed to roam. If you let them out then you need to be aware that they will lay eggs in the oddest places – under shrubs for instance. Unlike hens, they don’t prefer to return to nesting boxes to lay so you may have to have a regular easter egg hunt for the duck eggs.

The reunion went very well last night. I was so glad that I’ve been sticking with the 5:2 plan because even though I have another 5.5 kg to go to get to my goal, I looked thin in my clothes already. It makes me feel confident and light on my feet. It’s surprising how many people looked so different at this age and I think the biggest reason was that they put on a lot of weight. The people that were thin looked pretty much like they did 50 years ago, wrinkles, gray hair and all. It was a good example of how added weight really can age a person. I usually never see that many people the same age as I am in one place. So I want to thank all of you for all of the advice and encouragement in sticking with this new WOL.

I’m missing my scale but from the fit of my jeans, I don’t think I’ve gained much. I ate a meal at the party last night and had a couple pastries at my aunt and uncle’s house yesterday but I think overall I’m doing ok. The sweet things taste overly sweet now and I didn’t have enough that it made me hungry afterward. They day before I didn’t eat much at all. Tuesday morning will be the big weigh in.

It sounds like everyone has been busy over the weekend with baking, shopping and visiting. Gday, that was a great deal you got on the high heels at the garage sale. And brand new! The Op purchases sound great too. I’m picturing you on an Easter egg hunt for duck eggs. 😄

Have a great day everyone and good FD for those of you that are fasting.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Intesha’s creations.

Good morning CaliD,
    So glad you enjoyed your high school reunion. Enjoy the rest of your time away and try not to stress about the weigh in.

Good morning all. Thank you for all the lovely comments about my cakes. I mainly doing classes to give me something to do. Although I am not creative I like to see an end result my efforts. My next class is in two weeks where I will be doing some fancy decorating of cupcakes. My Mum’s 91st birthday is coming up and I have already got plans to do her a special cake, so I won’t be posting too much temptation 😉😉😉

FD yesterday, weight this morning 68.1, last Monday it was 69.3. FD tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone.

https://imgur.com/a/qL9b3 Just installed the app Cinque gave me for uploading photos so testing to see if I have done it correctly.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,901 through 11,950 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.