Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,935 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  GdayfromSA 13 hours, 13 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 28,039 total)

• 4:3 is an extra fast day, so four normal food days, three fast days.

Hope that explains it.

I have to say I am loving reading all the post from everyone. So far I have really been enjoying this first week. I have been waking up easily in the morning without that sluggish feeling. Feeling really upbeat and positive as well. I am looking forward to the challenge of my next fast (3rd one so far). I was just going to write to wish all a happy weekend, and I do 🙂 however I have just thought of a question.

I am going out to dinner with friends next week. It is a order heaps of dishes and share kind of arrangement with the restaurant we are going to. This will be my first dinner out and I cannot order a meal just for me, any tips?

Thanks and have wonderful weekends everyone.

A

@amy12 Is it on a fast day?
    If it’s Chinese, try and stick to vegs and minimal meat and no noodles etc.

Personally,anywhere else, I would just have a small portion of meat and as many vegetables as possible, to fill up.
    It’s hard when you eat out and have no control over what’s served 🙁
    Good luck!

Change your fast day and enjoy!!

Damn good idea Dumpling! That is the great thing about 5:2….alternatley if its an Asian dig-in (as we call it), then order a Prawn Tom Yum soup insead? V low calorie and v tasty.

Have a great weekend all.

I have now been on the diet 3 and a half weeks or so and have just got back blood test results . With a family history of diabetes, I have just received my lowest sugars reading ever! I am sure it is the fast diet. My cholesterol is slightly up but my ratio is really good. This diet does work. I still just need to curtail my eating habits on my non fast days!

That’s great results Patchstar! Especially for being on it for only a short time. I found that the longer you stay on the 5:2, the easier it is to have more normal eating on the other days. I think it’s because your body starts adjusting, your stomach size shrinks a little and you start feeling full sooner.

When this started happening to me, I was kind of shocked as I didn’t feel like eating everything on my smallish plate. I sat and looked at the food but already felt full and satisfied…so I did something I’d never done before, I left what was there on the plate and gave it to my chooks instead!

Afterwards I had a major realization, I remembered meal times growing up and how dad used to stand over us, in order to force us kids to finish every single thing on the plate, even when we couldn’t and there were tears. Meals were always pretty much fraught with drama, and heaven help you if you didn’t finish the lot!
    I’m sure my father meant well, but the result was a habit of accepting and eating everything. Never refusing those generous people who offered me more food, treats or second helpings….

So that even as an adult, in charge of my own kitchen and portion sizes, I still felt obligated to ‘eat up’!

It’s a powerful shock to your commonly accepted beliefs, when you see that you can choose to do it differently and see how bound you used to be to the old patterns from the past. I still love my dad, but I no longer eat the way he does, or sit under his thumb at meal times…thank god!

I’m massaging all day today, so I expect the calories to be burnt off quickly and that this coming week will yield more good results for my blood tests and weight.
    Cheers!

Thank you for your helpful comments , I have awaist. Today the formula one is on ( in Melbourne ) and the cars have woken me up early. Your comments are reassuring and so I feel better about today being a non fast day. Cheers

I went out last night and someone commented that I’ve lost weight!!! It’s only my first week. 🙂 I won’t get on the scales till Monday morning, but I feel like I have lost a little bit.
    After only one week, I am surprised at my own changes in apetite and portion size. The chocolate slice I made for the kids is sitting in the pantry and I’ve only had 2 pieces – a miracle. It’s just not taunting me like it usually would.

Amy12 – enjoy your night out with your friends! Make it a non-fast day. Have small portions of your favourite dishes and savour the flavours.

Hi everyone,
    I would like to let you all know about The Paddington Foodie. This is an Australian website/ blog which has some great recipes. Some are 5:2 and some are not eg The TimTam Australia Day chocolate cake! As it is Australian the recipes are seasonally appropriate and don’t have ingredients you’ve never heard of.
    Kate

Thanks ihaveawaist I realised after I posted. I am new to the forum. My husband and I have been doing this since about September last year. We look forward to our fast days. I don’t weigh myself but last year when I went to the Dr early December he told me I had lost 5 kilos. I am due to see my Dr on Monday for a weigh and to get my blood tests done. It will be interesting to see how I go as this will be the first lot of tests since being on the 5:2. My bloods are always good except the cholesterol was up a little last time. I recently got into a size 10 pants so I only want to lose a few more kilos then I will try the 6:1.

Hi Everyone, I don’t at the moment strictly qualify as a Southern Hemispherite as I’m living in Hong Kong but I am an Aussie so I reckon that gets me a leg into this forum! I’ve been enjoying reading your posts. The many success stories are very inspiring.
    I bought the book a few months ago and have finally worked myself up into giving it a try. So far, so good! Three weeks in, I’ve lost 4 kgs and because I’m feeling so much better and enjoying my success, today I’m voluntarily doing a third fast day for this week to try and counteract some of the damage done last night at a dinner out with friends!
    I’m deliberately not being obsessive about calorie counting because I think if I have any chance of making this a permanent lifestyle change for myself it needs to be something I can do without too much thought and planning. I’m a yoyo dieter. I’ve had success with other programs but never been able to keep the weight off. It’s always crept back on with a few extra pounds as well. So if I ever manage to lose the excess that I’m carrying now it will be interesting to see if I can keep it off. I’m feeling quietly confident about that with this plan because I’m going into it with the mind set that it will never end. Even if I reach my goal weight there are still benefits to be had health wise in continuing to fast.
    My end goal is a very long way off so I’m setting myself some smaller goals. First, my sisters are coming for a visit at the end of April. I’m hoping they’ll notice a slight change in six more weeks! Secondly, I’ll be back in Australia in July for a visit and will have to fit in the obligatory doctors check up. Usually I get a gentle lecture on my weight status and the health benefits I’d experience if I dropped some of it. Last year I avoided going all together because I knew what she would have to say. So goal number 2 is to surprise and astound my Aussie doctor with some good tests results for once.
    Anyway, thanks for all the great stories and please keep them coming. They’re inspiring me to stick with the plan, thanks.

Hey there everyone. I am still around and still 5:2ing albeit irregularly but the good thing is I can get right back up there on that wagon every time I fall off!! Never could do that with any other diet..I would always have to move on to another one in order to regain the motivation!! Yay 5:2!! It is still too hot for the time of year and I am really looking forward to some cooler weather, hopefully soon!! We very badly need rain here too. I did a fast yesterday and that felt good, I was making up for a morning tea/lunch function I had on Friday. I will get back to my usual Tuesday/Friday this week as I have no planned activities happening. I have only a very low number of calories (330ish)to consume on fast days so I generally do not eat until dinner time. It is usually easy enough to do that. I miss my breakfast but can do it, and it is good not to have to worry about lunch on those days as lunch always seems to set my appetite raging during the afternoon. The weight loss is very very slow for me but then I am not religiously fanatical about my non fast days so there it is!!!Also I am a slug as far as exercise goes:( Have a good Sunday everyone!

Hi all,
    Despite my concerted attempts to sabotage myself this weekend with wine, dips and crackers, I did lose weight for my first week on 5:2 and my BMI is back under 30 – phew! I wasn’t expecting to as I really pigged out! I won’t be making a habit of that anymore. For this first week I carefully plugged everything I ate into My Fitness Pal. It was quite a revelation. Even though I knew my snacking was the problem, seeing the reality how much extra kJ I eat due to non hunger reasons really brought it home. I plan on keeping a 7-day food diary every 4 weeks or so – it’s way too tedious to do it every day, but a good reality check. Bring on week 2! I’m actually looking forward to my miso soup lunch and meat/salad dinner.

Melbourne Mum, you call that sabotage? We went to Hepburn Springs yesterday, and lunched at a lovely old-style café-cum-chocolate shop in Daylesford. Rogan Josh pie with chips and salad, the most outrageous hot chocolate drink I’ve ever had, and a couple of home-made chocolates for dessert. 🙂
    And this after a fast day! I haven’t dared weigh myself – the scales would point their finger at me!

Hi Leanne well done doing 5:2 in Hong Kong–I am thinking of the banquets, and the Aussie nights out and the private box at the races !!! phew you have a few challenges!!.
    Where are you doing your shopping? _ I was in HK for 4 years so am thinking about your challenges (my school was forever eating–those tasteless rather grand looking cakes ) Food as part of the social occasion is so important ‘have you eaten’ being the morning greeting.
    mmm now I am thinking of suckling pig.
    Then again we couldn’t blame the culture because we sure could eat up a feast while playing hours of mahjong !!! You have got me homesick Leanne

Hi Double Happy, (your name makes perfect sense when you know about the asian connection) You’re right Hong Kong does present a few of its own special challenges! For me, the teeny tiny kitchen that doesn’t encourage home cooked meals is the main one but you’re right about the banquets, nights out that all involve eating and drinking and yes you’ve just reminded me its time to organize another day out at the races! Aren’t they fun!
    After ten years here I’ve learnt to adapt my shopping needs. I love the local wet market for the fresh fruit and veg so I’m a regular down there.I live in the New Territories so I sometimes have to go further afield into Central or Admiralty if I’m looking for something in particular. I have to admit I’m discouraged when I read a lot of the recipes because the ingredients are just not readily available and I often just can’t be bothered trying to find them.
    Anyway things seem to be working out okay so far, another 1.4kg less on my scales this morning, yippee!

Happy Monday all.
    Thanks for the tips on and thoughts on my dinner out on Thursday. It is not a fast day so that is fine, I guess just more concerned that I can’t just order something for me. I think small amounts of each dish and I should be fine.

I am on my 3rd fast day today and I have lost 2kg so far. I have a bit to lose so I am feeling really positive about this as I am sure it will slow down. I must say I am really enjoying this. It is getting me back into cooking, rather than just making my usual meals, I am going through recipe books and blogs and finding some great things to cook. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. It all feels really positive and I enjoy that I can still have things on my non fast days – I made home-made pizza last night – it was fab.

Anyway, welcome as well to the other newbies. Have a great week ahead and keep up the good work. I love reading this blog, heaps of positive energy and support for everyone.

A.

Has anyone else noticed their feet losing weight???

I’ve been playing “dress-ups” in readiness to take unwanted clothes to the Op shop.
    Even with hot feet,and having been in sandals, one pair of shoes I tried on were decidedly looser than when I wore them last winter!
    Glasses too, have had to be adjusted, obviously my cheeks have lost fat.

All good signs and on a fast day too 🙂

Hi All!
    I’m preparing tonight for my first Fast Day, and am both excited and apprehensive. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice here – it’s definitely made me more confident to get started.

Dear Southern Hemispherites,

It’s lovely to read about your fasting experiences. I’d like to share mine. I’m a 30 yo female. I’ve been on the fast diet for five weeks and I’ve lost around 3kgs. I try to cook at home most of the time and I avoid too much sugar. Other than that, I don’t watch what I eat at all on non-fast days! For me this has been incredibly liberating. It’s fantastic to be free from anxiety about what I eat, and what my body looks like. Those issues are taken care of by this diet.

I suspect there are a lot of women in this forum who relate. Frankly, I’m overjoyed.

Teevizi, good luck on this diet. I really hope your experience is as positive as mine.

Hi all,
    Happy Friday! Another week gone. I hope that everyone has had a really good week so far and that fasting has gone well.

So I went out for dinner last night and we had Vietnamese which was beautiful. I felt so full afterwards that I went back over everything I ate and I don’t think it was that much at all but I felt full. Shows how I was overeating before starting 5:2 and also probably should have stopped a little earlier last night.

2 weeks in and I have lost 3kg which is great and I am feeling really good, I know it will slow down a bit now so I think I will hold off weighing for a few weeks and just focus on getting some exercise in. I have a party this weekend as well so think I will do a big walk in the morning just to help and then try my best to watch what I consume. I may possibly do 3 fast days next week.
    Teevizi – how did your fast go the other day?

Gabberadelaide – well done on the weight loss, i too like the freedom this brings and am focused on the weight loss over the year ahead.

Have wonderful weekends all.
    Amy

Hi everybody, hope things are going really great!

I’m still waiting on blood and thyroid results to post, to show one way or the other if there’s been any other changes in my body, apart from blood pressure going down as well as weight. Today I am 14.6 kg lighter than when I started!

Amy, great to hear you had a nice night out. The last time I ate Thai food I was scared by my sudden weight gain. Even though the calories weren’t high, the salt content was and I ended up retaining a large amount of fluid. It’s interesting just how full you can get, on what was you would once have considered a small amount of food!

Aussie, I’ve also noticed its not just shoes that fit better, but also bangles, rings, fitted tops, bras and undies! my fingers and wrists have definitely slimmed down! Yay! I realized that I hadn’t worn any jewellery for years because I found it so uncomfortable. It’s so ironic, as I studied for two years to become a jewellery designer, and have so many individual pieces I made which are currently stored away and never used anymore! I’ll have to get them out and see if they fit the new me!

Did anyone hear yesterday’s ‘Life Matters’ program on radio national? It was a listener’s feedback session after last weeks interview with Doc Mosley himself, all about the 5:2 diet and how they found it working or not working. The diet ‘consultant’ they also interviewed gave the 5:2 diet a rating of ” 3.5 out of 5″. Which she said was good compared to other diets. She hadn’t tried it and thought it couldn’t last over the long term and made you feel weak, light headed and was somewhat extreme…….I personally don’t think she’s really investigated it that thoroughly, or had a look at the good results people like us are achieving. She said it was more social and food orientated than other diets, which I agree with, but she said the long term studies were mostly don’t on alternate day fasting or mice. She said that Doc Mosley’s claims about reducing the risks of Alzheimer’s, cancer and diabetes were too far fetched, and needed more resaearch to prove those claims were true.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see how this WOE pans out for large numbers of people in the long term… I can only say that I’ll be sticking with it for the rest of my life….as it’s the only thing that empowers me and gives me some control over my health!

Although we may all be guinea pigs in a large, somewhat unorthodox worldwide fasting experiment, I’d rather be doing this than feeling as flat and fat as I was this time last year!

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend!

Hi All. Lovely to hear from the “old-timers” and all the newbies. I think that if the diet consultant on the Life Matters programme mentioned by IHAW in the blog above had read any or all of our postings she would realise we have discovered a true WOE/WOL that allows us to be normal humans and eat with our friends and family in normal ways, not the “oh I’m not allowed that” kind of way. And as far as I can see, that changes this diet from something to be endured and eventually give up on, into something that we’ll do for the rest of our lives.
    And if that doesn’t earn 5 stars out of 5 then I don’t know what does. I would have thought that was the gold standard for diets. That you never go back to the old ways of eating and put on all that weight again.

I’ve lost another 1/5 kg. So now that is 9 kgs in all over 3 months. I had 15 kgs to lose in total, so it has been quite a slow process. However it allowed me to enjoy Christmas and New Year and a 3 week holiday without any guilt. That was awesome, and I still lost a little weight.

I can’t believe how easy fast days have become. Early on I felt utterly famished, but now I have 200 cals at about 10.30am and then can happily get to 6pm or even later. Such a new phenomenon realising hunger pangs come and then they go, without incapacitating me.For the newbies, this will take some time, and it is remarkably liberating when it does. I’m in control of my appetite, not the other way round.

So keep on keeping on. It is so worth doing – whatever a diet consultant who hasn’t tried the programme says.
    Happy Friday everyone. Wishing you all a great weekend.

IHAW, well done!
    It’s so nice to have ‘normal’ blood pressure now and in my case, be off the medication.
    Like you, I have to watch the salt and am horrified at how much is in seemingly innocent food.

Yes, all kinds of body changes, and clothes too, for that matter!
    I’ve dropped 2 sizes and heading for the 3rd and took two bags to the Op shop on Monday.

I downloaded the Life Matters podcast on 5:2, but have yet to listen.
    You are so right about it becoming a life matter, and the more I see what I used to eat, the more determined I am to stick with it.

Weigh day for me tomorrow 🙂

Morning all. No joyful post from me today I’m afraid. I’ve only managed one fast day this week – for reasons which really don’t matter to anyone but me I guess! I’m not giving up this WOE though, will spend the weekend clearing my head and getting ready to start afresh next week. I know I’ve fallen into the complacency trap as well and I just need to take a deep breath and re-focus. Congratulations to all those who’ve had a successful week, sympathetic hug for those who, like me, have faltered a little. Onwards and downwards!

My wife said last night she’ll have to take me shopping for new jeans, as the ones I have on are now TOO BIG!!! Guess that means it’s working – it’s not just my imagination, and the scales aren’t lying! But she said to keep these ones, as she doubts my ability to keep the weight off. We’ll see how we go with that.

It’s been three months now. I’ve settled well into the routine of fasting twice a week. Tuesdays work well for me, as my wife and daughter are out Tuesday nights at their weight loss group – I think my fasting points the finger at them, as I’ve lost more in 3 months than they have in 2 years. I know it makes them feel awkward. My other day is usually Saturday, unless we’re going out somewhere.

I am feeling so much more able to do things, now that I’ve got rid of (not lost, as I have no intention of finding it again!) 10kg of unnecessary weight. It hit me when I was at the farm supplies last week – that’s half a chook feed bag. Bending over is easier, as is getting down on my knees to get things off the floor. I had a bath last night, and was able to get out of it much easier. There are so many side benefits I’m beginning to realise.

So keep at it, people. This fasting routine sure does work!

I’ve completed my 2 fast days this week. This is my 2nd week and am looking forward to a normal family weekend. I made a curry last night for the family. The kids knew it was a diet day for me as I was eating my egg + salad for dinner, but I made sure there was enough curry left for me to enjoy today for lunch. I am still amazed that there are patty cakes and bickies in the pantry that I am not snacking on all day. I might have one with the kids after school, but I have no desire for one right now, which is a very new experience for me!
    Also, I’m looking forward to some guilt free wine tonight. I’m enjoying grains without guilt. Pasta, breakfast cereal, rice, wraps……. All that was forbidden on my previous diet (effective, but not very social!).
    I did a sneaky weigh in on Thursday morning, even though I plan only to weigh in weekly. 2kg down so far. That’s very motivating.
    Enjoy the weekend folks!

Big Pete I suggest you send those jeans to the charity shop. You don’t want to make it easy for yourself to slide back up the scales.

Happy Friday everyone. I live in Adelaide and this is my first post to the ‘BTLB’ blog.
    My routine is Monday and Wednesday fasts (I’m at work so can control my appallingly weak will there) and Sunday, Wednesday and Friday HIIT sessions, which I’ve been doing since the end of January when I went back to work about 5kg heavier than before Christmas (still BMI 33.3 so long way to go yet).
    2 HIIT sessions are 3 x 20s flat out and 40s recovery on a rowing machine at home, total <15 minutes including warm up and cool down per session. One is combined with 30′ of PT-supervised weight training on Wednesdays. I’ve been doing weights since I turned 60 (now nearly 68) because I didn’t want to take HRT to prevent osteoporosis and had heard the author of ‘Strong Women Stay Young’ on ABC FM interviewed by Margaret Throsby.
    I had the second of my arthritic knees replaced about 6 months ago (you should see how I set off the airport metal detector) and it is wonderful to be pain-free.
    So far I have lost 3.8kg and about 6cm from my waist and the fast days are surprisingly easy – light breakfast of unsweetened porridge and black tea and evening meal of something like grilled steak and salad. I always add potatoes or other filler to my husband’s meal because he seems to be able to eat everything and not put on weight 🙁 but apart from that I eat whatever is on the menu for that night, just less and no carbs.
    I love this WOL (WOE sounds too grim an acronym) because I know that I can control my hunger pangs with one of the 4 Ds (delay, drink water, do something else, deep breaths) and expect to be able to live this way for the rest of my life.
    Keep up the good work everyone.

Hi again Pete

Well done again, you are really going so well.
    I don’t have chook feed bags to compare, but tried to life 2 x 10kg bags of rice at the supermarket last week and couldn’t do it!
    I know I shouldn’t, but I agree with MelbourneMum and not with your wife – give those jeans to the Salvos (or if not decent enough toss them!)
    After 21kg I am keeping nothing big! Went today to replace my size 18 winter sweatshirts with size 12, and never going back so don’t need them any more.

Vicki

Oh dear I am a newbie and have just posted you but I did it in “report Post” apologies to moderator.

I will be off to buy the book tomorrow and join you on Monday for ‘fast day’.

How do the foods in the UK book relate to those here?
    We eat really healthy but do like out wine with dinner is that allowed?

Ok thanks in anticipation.

Hi and welcome:

You can eat what you want to

Here are some starter tips: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Hello from Hobart. I haven’t posted for a while but just thought I would share this. Last year between March and November I lost more than 10kg. I hit a plateau at around 72kg and that is where I’ve been ever since. I learned enough through 5:2 to be able to stabilise there, with absolutely no risk of weight sneaking back on, but I’m now looking for real motivation to get my mojo back and start properly fasting again.

I’ve decided my new target weight will be 60kg. That is a truly wild number. I cannot imagine a me that is that small, but the graphs and charts all tell me that is an ‘ideal’ weight for my height. That is where I want to be by March 2015.

I’m doing a road trip next month, Adelaide, Broken Hill, Bourke, Sydney and fasting might be tricky but I’m determined to not eat rather than eat junk. I know getting skinny will be magic for my osteoarthritis, and make me less likely to suffer the diabetes that afflicts my mother or the heart disease that killed my father

Hi everyone, I also haven’t posted for a while and the reason I am today is because I’ve lost the will power to do 5:2. I have been going really well since middle of January and lost 4.5kg. But last week I was already to fast on Monday but felt incredibly nauseas. I had something to eat and just went stupid. I killed quite a few carbs that day and felt a bit better. Tuesday I was to reform myself but again felt sick. The carbs yelled at me again and I buckled. Each morning I say to myself “ok today is a fast day”. I start off well but by morning tea I have a biscuit, then lunch comes around and before I know it I just say “I’ll start again tomorrow”. Since then there has been chocolate, a lot of wine and lots of carbs. How can I get back to where I was. I only have 5kg more to lose.
    Please help!!!

Hi Smarte,
    Don’t feel such despair that you have not been able to fast, it is not the end of the world and perhaps your body is telling you that you need to have some time out. I had been rolling along doing 4:3 and then suddenly my body with the side effects of severe back and shoulder pain from over stretched muscle and tendons meant that I was only able to do one full fast this week, but I did get in two days with reduced calories, over the 2000 kj, but less than 4000kj. This meant that by the end of the week I have not gained, but I have not lost either.
    It just means that next week now that the pain has gone I will try to get back on track. It is not the end of the world, and it was a work related injury that would have been worse had I not been building up my strength with both HIT and other exercises. 🙂
    Have a great weekend everyone, we have just had some wonderful rain, so we don’t have to spend the weekend irrigating. 🙂
    We’ll done to everyone and welcome to the newbies it is great to see how this site continues to grow.
    Onwards and downwards we go, and Big Pete, the greatest thing I have done during this WOL has been to give away anything that is too big and buy smaller clothes it is very healing.
    Cheers everyone. Charlie. 🙂

Hello to everyone, this seems to be a very caring and friendly forum, very supportive. I have read most of the posts, you all sound like nice people
    Last week I had to go to Melbourne for both a colonoscopy and a gastroscophy as I live in far east Gippsland. I had never met either the specialist or the anesthesiologist but both mentioned 5:2 and thought I might benefit. I am just over double my recommended weight, with a bmi of 54. I carry my weight very well, but I have found it is getting harder for me to move around, my knees ache and my feet are swelling. My GP is talking bariatric surgery but I am very hesitant at this stage, it seems very drastic. I am a yo-yo dieter, you mention the diet, I have probably tried it. I gave up smoking 8 weeks ago today, cold turkey, but man, has my weight grown. I just have to get the book and am positive I will be starting soon.
    I look forward to getting to know you.
    Cheers and have a great weekend wherever you may be

Welcome to the forum, and well done on giving up smoking, 8 weeks and your doing great, im trying to give it up, been smoking for 35years, have you any advice.
    Mossend.

Hi mossend, I started smoking when I was 12, and I am now 52. I have tried a few times to quit, lasted a year once, but have always been half hearted. This time, I cleaned my teeth the night before, and decided that I needed the money for more important things.

Every time I thought about having a smoke, I just put it off for an hour, and then kept putting it off time after time. I am not saying I don’t crave, because i do, but I am determined to fight it and take control of MY life.
    I just don’t want to become a born again exsmoker, nothing worse than becoming a wowser, so please pull me up if I head that way. 🙂

Thank you for your helpful words, I will take a day at a time, we are similar in age and years of smoking, your very kind to reply to me, .
    I wish you luck on this way of eating, it has been a slow process for me, in fact I have put on 1lb this week so not happy, im sure you have much more determination than me..
    Good luck.
    Mossend

Hi all!
    Yes I agree with amberoseau, this is a really lovely forum and we’re all very special….I’m pleased your specialists have mentioned this as a good way to lose weight and assist you with your health overall and to take the weight off of your knees and other joints. Giving up smoking is also really going to benefit your health, so go into this with a plan.

I love the four D’s that NickyF uses delay, drink water, do something else, and deep breaths to help stop those cravings and impulsive behaviours. Could these strategies work with giving up the fags too?

Early on I needed some ‘go to’ easily accessible snacks, to get me through, to replace the choclate and biscuits. I made up carrot sticks and date balls instead, so that I could eat something a bit better for me instead of the usual culprits.

Also brushing and flossing my teeth really is a great way to put something in your mouth, use up time and give yourself a minty freshness, causing your brain to think you’ve just eaten. My teeth and gums are a lot nicer these days too!

Charlie, sorry to hear about your injury, I agree sometimes you need to just let your body heal, before going back on the fasting. Great job with your continued success!

Smarte, it sounds like there might be something else going on with you, have you had your nausea checked out? If you’re getting relief from nausea with carbs….is there the possibility of pregnancy?….I remember feeling the same way….( please totally ignore my ridiculous ravings if this can’t possibly be the case, otherwise it couldn’t hurt to get checked out, could it?) the other thing to keep in mind, is to not get too down about falling off the calorie wagon, some days you just need to be gentle and nurturing with yourself. Make up some healthier snacks and take those with you to work instead.

Hello Roba, good to hear you’ve done so well and that you’re planning a road trip, let us know if you have any great tips for eating healthily while eating at the fuel and truck stops along the way. I like your statement of ‘rather not eating than eating junk’!

I’m keeping closer to the fresh produce aisle, and away from the pre-packaged, convenience foods in the middle aisles. Those layouts in the supermarkets make the junky stuff easier to find and the healthier stuff harder to reach. I love going to our small local fresh fruit and veggie place instead. I support our local growers and shopkeeper instead of the big corporations, and the prices and freshness is better too!

Cheers!

Hi ihaveawaist, funny I thought the same thing about being pregnant but I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago after having triplets. I’m too old as well, turning 49 in a couple of weeks.
    I decided last night I will start again after the weekend and NOT count calories on my nonfast days. I think I have been obsessing a bit about that and it’s getting me down. I just want to relax and see what happens. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
    Have a happy weekend.

Thank you for that useful link.

I think until I get the book I am enjoying just reading and seeing how others are managing.

Fast days will have to be Tuesday and Thursday as Monday I have commitments. Would this be ok or should it be Friday instead of Thursday?
    Any comments are welcome.

You choose the fast days that fit into your life. There are no rules here.

I chose Tuesday and Friday as my fast days.

Hey smarte, glad to hear that it’s all sorted and I was way off the mark! It’s no wonder you occassionally feel like the odd sweet treat, having triplets and a busy job! It’s a great idea to relax and start again, that’s what’s so great about 5:2! There’s no point at which you fail, it’s entirely up to you and how you work it to fit your personal needs, social calander or cravings.

Way2Go, just do any days that suit you! You are your own boss in the 5:2 after all.

Keep on keepin’ on! May the force be with you! Live long and prosper! Make love not war!
    And have a wonderful weekend!

A quick weigh-in this morning. After 2 weeks I’ve lost 2.5kg. 😀 I know it’ll slow down now but that’s really motivating!

Great job! Well done!

Hi to all the ‘southern hemispheres’. I have just joined this forum with a post to the ladies of certain age group. I am beginning 5.2 this week with just one day, Wednesday, to begin with. I am grieving for my mother who died late last year and lots of other emotional stuff which is messing with my head. So, one day a week and then progressing a few weeks down the track to two. Is this a good idea? I don’t have the brain space at the moment to concentrate of too much. I have slowly put on weight over the past few years although while my mother was sick I lost it but slowly slowly the snail weight gain is overcoming me.

I agree with the other post, everyone seems so friendly and supportive. Hope and courage!!

Hi Jane, sorry to hear about your mother. Losing someone close is tough.
    Starting at the pace that’s right for you, whether one, two or three days a week is fine. Try it and see, you might pleasantly surprise yourself, and find that you are stronger and more confident than you think!

Tips- keep a notebook of your measurements, weight, ect and everything you consume and their calories, this will give you a baseline to track how far you’ve come. Some people like the online trackers like fitness pal, but I’m still using paper and coloured pencils.
    – NickyF’s four D’s are great…drink water, delay, do something else and deep breaths….when cravings strike.
    – use this forum as a way to support yourself and get feedback.

Cheers and have fun with the process!

Hi everyone, I live in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in Queensland (Australia) at the foot of one of the Glasshouse Mountains.

I’m a middle aged mumma and amd wanting to lose weight and also regain my youthful health, both of which have slipped away from me over the last 15 years! I’m doing this with my husband so it is nice to have support at home.

Looking forward to discovering and maybe contributing some tasty, yet fairly simple recipes that can be added to for other family members who aren’t on the 5:2 fasting diet.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 28,039 total)

You must be logged in to reply.