Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,911 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 1 day, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,351 through 9,400 (of 28,015 total)

• Michaela, your post came through while I was writing. So sorry things are hard. I know that Sometimes you need to just hunker down and look after yourself, I hope it all goes well. Thanks for letting us know and remember that we would love to see you back here any time. 🌺🌺🌺

Good morning all. Michaela I am with Cinque. Don’t leave completely, I know from first hand experience how when you are down the world feels a very hostile place. My world was turned upside down 2 years ago and I was so angry with everyone and everything, ranted and raved, wanted to kill myself etc etc. I didn’t post at times and when I did I was always negative but something kept me reading the posts and continuing to follow 5:2 in between my dark days. I still have days and weeks when I don’t feel like communicating and get upset with how cheery some of our fellow posters are but I can truly say they have saved my life and given me back a purpose. So no matter how bad you are feeling and even if you are not following 5:2, please stay with us. Most of us are anonymous and unjudgemental, we would hate to see you struggling on your own.

Now I have to be cheery and say I have reached a new PB 66.7 this morning and an FD. I think my strategy is working. I alternate between 1200/1500cals on my non-FD’s and try to stay around 350 on FD’s, have only been doing this 10 days but maybe it’s revved up the metabolism.

Thank you Intesha & Cinque. Life is pretty hard for me at the moment. I am not giving the 5:2 up. I am actually fasting today & reading ‘The Fast Diet’ book on my breaks at work. Haven’t had any motivation to go to the gym this week at all. Can’t even bring myself to walk the dog & that makes me feel bad because I know he desperately needs it.
    I am just miserable & not motivated to do anything.
    So I might come read posts but I don’t know how much I will contribute to them. There are a lot of newbies & I don’t think they need my negativity around while they are starting their journey to feeling good. I HATE getting on the scales & even more I hate getting dressed & looking in the mirror.

Hi have decided to give this Diet ago my pant are to tight at the waist.

Welcome Deezar, it’s good to have a male perspective on our thread. I miss Dan! Let us know if we can answer any questions. Try not to think of this as a diet but a new healthy way of eating for life.

helpme, look after yourself (and the dog!) and just do what you can. You can do some lurking if you don’t feel like posting.

Cinque, how exciting, your pyjamas are now down around your ankles and you’re staring maintenance in the face! Woot woot! So happy for you. I think I may try something such as you suggest. Perhaps two frothy, milky coffees on the second FD. Life would seem normal then. I barely noticed that yesterday was a FD but still experience FD brain fog – just following a recipe takes considerable concentration. I still forget words and can’t say that two years of fasting has improved my brain acuity in any way. Perhaps it’s slowed the degeneration.

And a new PB for you Intesha! yay! You’re very strong doing the cal counting on NFDs and deserve great results.

So loving how everyone encourages and supports each other, not just with 5:2 but life in general. You are all an inspiration xx

Hello everyone, I am new to this world. I have never dieted and don’t plan to but I like the idea of changing lifestyle habits.
    I watched the Micheal Mosely program again last week thinking it was a new one but it was just the old one being repeated. I decided to investigate what I could eat on fasting days for meals and found out things I would never have thought like 100grams of strawberries are only 100kj and black tea ain’t that bad.
    I fasted yesterday with 2 carrots, 100grams of blueberries, 100grams of strawberries, 100grams of prawns stir fried with capsicum, broccoli, asparagus, bamboo, mushrooms, a little ginger and a chilli with a tbsp of fish sauce, no oils only water and chinese cooking wine. I added a tbsp of corn flour without checking and found it was 370kj worth, these sorts of mistakes can tip you over without knowing it. Total 1840kj. (Could have been under 1500kj if not for the cornflour)
    I was hungry during the day but very full at dinner. I will lessen the amount of vegetables at dinner and snack more during the day.
    I plan to fast Monday and Thursday this allows for movement if required.
    I must say I feel very empowered today with starting this plan, however, I will continue to live, eat and drink as I have previously on non fast days.
    I will weigh myself weekly but it is more about how the clothes fit for me.
    Look forward to following you all as we move forward on this journey.

Hello everyone, today is my first fast day. Feeling very empowered! Although a little daunted at the 20.4KG i have to loose. Looking forward to seeing the weight shift and the healthier me appear.Thanks πŸ™‚

Thin I need the structure and some tunnel vision. I have three books beside me that I take my meals from and I weigh and measure everything.

Yesterday this is what I ate,

Breakfast – 3/4c Cherrios, 2/3c low fat cottage cheese, 200 g rockmelon – 285c
    Lunch/snack – 4 vita wheat crackers with 60g lite cream cheese, La Zuppa soup and small packet of grain waves – 318c
    Dinner – Chicken & Cashew stir fry – 299c
    100g Greek coconut yoghurt, 125g strawberries – 140c
    2 Chocolate Peanut butter cups – 103

Grand Total – 1145

It’s not hard to eat well and slip in the odd treat if you write it all down.

Threw out another dozen or so slacks today 16/14 and even a 12. Millers are having a 50% off everything sale today and tomorrow. I have just replenished my wardrobe with more slacks and a beautiful dress I’ve had my eye on in burnt orange. It was $50 reduced to $25 so how could I not buy it and size 10.

Welcome Joffy and Deezer.

Welcome another newbie Barneypindan. Everybody does this at their own pace but we are here to tell you it works if you stick to the basics.

88 weeks ago I weighed 87.1 and this morning 66.7. It’s not a race it’s a new way of life.

Thanks for the welcome Intesha.
    As I have said in my profile, I have researched a lot of foods to eat and found many surprises so I plan on keeping some of my lifestyle, 3 beers is around 1900kj so I will now just change some ingredients to main meals and instead of bananas every day I will eat strawberries.
    I hope this will be the change of lifestyle I need which it is showing in the meal planning I have done for all meals not just fasting days which is exciting.
    By the way all, I jumped on the scales and dragged out 127kg. I thought I was about 120kg no wonder my pants and shirts feel tighter than when I bought them.

wow Intesha, that’s just the sort of stats that are actually inspiring. When you see the weight loss written like that it looks amazing. You should be so proud of yourself.
    I am fasting tomorrow.Trying not to overeat on my NFD but I don’t want to be counting calories every 5 mins. This forum just is great, thanks everyone.

Intesha, so pleased you got rid of the larger sizes. It feels great doesn’t it? Well summer has finally arrived in Perth, 32C yesterday. Just pulled out my size 10 shorts for the first time since last year and they still fit comfortably. That’s the first time that’s happened in decades.

Welcome Barney and please don’t feel overwhelmed – like Intesha and Merry with a Y, I started with smaller goals (10kgs at first) and just kept revising them. I ultimately lost 23/24kgs and have kept that off for the past 15 months. I went from size 18 to size 10. Ok, so it was a bit of a shock to discover how far some parts of me had slipped south since they’d last been seen, but I feel very confident in my clothes. Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels! Come on down with us and you’ll soon be feeling so good about yourself.

Pamie, I can’t deal with calorie counting but we are all different and whatever works for you is just great. Intesha needed a boost so she’s making the extra effort. The calorie counting on FDs might seem a chore at first but you will soon be doing less and less of it.

Head over to our recipe page where the calories have already been worked out for you. It’s fun to discover that you can have a proper family meal on a FD. Free free to add your own recipes. Please keep it in the same format, no chit chat, and don’t forget the calorie count and the no. serves. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

Welcome Joffy and thanks for adding a profile. Newbies are coming out of the woodwork this week so it’s helpful to keep everyone straight if we can refer to the profiles when we forget who’s who.

I agree Thinatlast, Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels!

Started back on this eating plan on Monday, my fast days are Monday and Wednesday, do feel better, but I am having problems sleeping, keep waking up every hour, this happens on fast days and non fast days, anyone else having this problem?

to thin at last,
    Yes waking is a problem for me too. Up since 3.30am this morning and waking every couple of hours before that.
    Second fast day today…. I hope this gets easier. I sure would like some new brain cells!
    Merrelly

Nicky and Merre with an E, I was the opposite when I started fasting. I was asleep on the couch by about 8pm on FDs and slept like a baby all night (which was a nice change as I do have insomnia at times). Nowadays a FD is just like any other day but without the frothy coffee to wake up with.

If you’re waking because you’re hungry then a little protein before you go to bed might help. An egg is about 80 cals and keeps me full for hours. 40gms cottage cheese doesn’t break the bank either. As you’re also waking on NFDs, maybe there’s something else going on. Others may be better placed to help with this.

As for the brain cells Merre, we can only hope! And yes, it does get easier to cope with fasting.

Many thanks for the welcome and inspiring stats! I look froward to posting my wins!

Welcome Deezer, joffey and Barney!

Good to meet you. πŸ™‚
    You’re starting on a personal journey here that will be very interesting for you. We are all different and respond a little differently to 5:2, but we’ve had just about every variation and response here on this thread and many successful 5:2ers – some still on various threads on the forum, some who lurk and read occasionally, and some who’ve achieved their goal and we wave them on their way with our best wishes. A few keep in touch privately as well.

I’ve been on 5:2 close to 2yrs. I am forced to be sedentary and never thought I’d be able to get the weight off I put on through a long term health challenge, but 5:2 has done the trick. I am the tortoise of this thread, but even so I lost 13kgs the 1st year. In the 2nd year I maintained for 8months and after resuming weight loss have lost 5kgs more and have 3kgs to go to my final goal. I set mini goals all the way through and didn’t put a date on them because I wanted to make sure that when the weight is off it’s permanent. I’ve lost sizes in clothes, am off some of my medication, especially blood pressure medication (which I did in 2 steps) and no longer need to go back for a yearly batch of cardiac tests. I have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome following a severe unknown virus 18yrs ago. I live at about 35-40% of normal. And 5:2 worked!

I started with 500 cals per FD eating about 3 times and the odd little snacl. I say odd, because ended up cutting up a nori sheet(dried seaweed) and eating it in bits(9cals per sheet) I like Japanese food, and I eat lots of green things, so gave it a go. But I’m probably the only person on the forum who did that! After a few months I cut out starchy foods because then I could eat a bigger quantity of low cal low GI foods – prawns, calamari, basa fish, salads of the low cal kind, and strawberries and rockmelon are my favourite FD fruits. Always the lowest cal things for me. I don’t drink calories except a 1/week skinny flat decaf, and 1/2 glass of champagne on special celebrations. I did 5:2 through maintenace as well, and because I was very stressed at the time I didn’t always do FDs perfectly but it still kept my weight level. Before 5:2 that 8 months would have seen me put weight on with a lot of stress eating.

Now I eat only 360cals in 1 meal after 6pm on a FD Mon and Thurs, and on the other 5 days I restrict my eating to an 8hr window and eat 2 meals a day. This is like a little mini fast. I’ve never had sleep problems. I do use some commercial low sugar products, particularly a small amount of Stevia in a decaf coffee, and sugar free jellies, which I have at night with a little plain yoghurt. On FDs I can go too the loo more often and occasionally the FD nights but who cares, it’s worth it to now be a normal size. My BMI is 23 and it was the best feeling when I went from the overweight category to the normal range. I am in my 3rd size of my favourite trousers and they’re starting to get a bit loose. So it’s taken me 2yrs, so what! I ‘ve been overseas late last year, Turkey, European river cruise, and a week in Amsterdam. I did 5:2 the whole time, came back 5 1/2 weeks later the same weight even though I ate everything I wanted to and tried all the new foods I’d never had before. For the 1st time Zi was able to do the walking tours with everyone else with only 1 with the very slow group. I even danced for the 1st time since the virus. Awesome! I can walk a little faster, can go up stairs a little easier, and go up small slopes now without slowing down. I feel like a whole new life has opened up for me, because the stress and guilt of the weight have gone. I look at my own face in the mirror, not a fatter version.

I literally feel like I’ve found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I am a 5:2 ‘tragic’ now. I’ve made the decision to do this for life, and just do maintence . I’ve been with my grandchildren for the last 3 weeks and eaten all sorts of things – I think I had chips at least 6 times, birthday cake, tacos, ice cream and still did 5:2 and came home 700gms up because I got sick one FD, was minding littlies with my other half (OH) and decided not to do it that day. 5:2 is so forgiving! Yes I ate those things, but I ate very moderate servings because I was satisfied with that. This works like the plan we’ve all been looking for for years.

You will have some challenges along the way, but you can get through those. Stay on here, whether it’s a lot or a little, as you can or as you want to. I’m so glad I have.

Onwards and downwards folks,
    (Here endith the epistle)
    Merry, with a y

Hi everyone, welcome everyone new! I’m quite new myself-started on Sunday, and really enjoying the support. I hope everyone will enjoy as much as me to read all the advice and moral support. I don’t write much but I read all messages! Some people have it rough, hang on there. Xx

Merryme, my aunt got chronic fatigue after getting the Zika virus during a trip to the US. It was not famous back then but it was diagnosed by tropical medicine, and she never fully recovered. Sorry to hear that you have that condition, but I’m glad to hear that 5:2 is working for you, woohoo!!

Tonight I went to buy a fat reading scale and oh my goodness. I considered myself overweight (BMI a bit over normal range) and I know that I have a very very large stomach. But my scale told me I’m 40% fat, with only 28% lean mass… The obese range starts at 32% fat, so that’s settled. Another reality check!

I am thrilled that SBS put that documentary back on TV and that I found this group! So far, I’ve learned I needed to read the book, buy a scale, and try la Zuppa soups. All 3 very good advice. I’m also bracing myself for a long journey. I lost 2.4kg after my first FD, another 0.3kg after the second. The big numbers might not last, but even 300g at a time will be better than steadily gaining weight like I’ve done the past years.

I’m going to prep a batch of sugar free jellow for tomorrow! Talk to all yiu soon!

Good morning, another lovely sunny day here in Sydney, little bit fresh.

Eloelo, when I first started tracking all my measurements etc my body fat was 42.8, BMI 30.2. Now as I said previously 88weeks later fat 24.5, BMI 24.6. You are a work in progress and all great works take time.

La Zuppa is on special this week in Coles here, not sure about where you are $2.30 for a packet of 2.

Down 100g after FD now 66.6.

Merry, it was so good for us (and you πŸ™‚ ) to be reminded of how far you have come, and how 5:2 is changing your life. Well done!

Welcome, newcomers. I am a lurker, maintainer and occasional poster, and wish you all the success that I have found with this great WOL.

Thankyou for the welcome everyone, I have never in my life leaned on anyone for support but I do feel the support around this forum which helps as I wish follow through with this lifestyle change.
    I found this table helpful for food count eloelochat,
    http://www.weightloss.com.au/diet/food-nutrition-tables/food-tables.
    It is complex but I look for the raw food and baked-roast, boiled or grilled and remember it is in 100gram portions. It makes for helping on non fast days also. It shows nothing beats vegetables and some fruits for mid morning snacks which are tasty and low cal and you don’t have give up all treats like coffee.

Sorry the link in my last post says the page is unavailable but if you click on the diet column the tables are there.

Good morning everyone.
    Sending best wishes Michaela, if you are reading. I bet you have a list of all the good things you can do for yourself, so best wishes and cheers for every good thing you can manage to do. I am glad you have a dog to hug and I hope he gets his walk!

Welcome Deezar, it is a lovely feeling when the trousers waist gets looser!

And welcome Barney too! I have lost over 30kg, although the first twenty went before 5:2 just by cutting out all things sugar. I’m right in my healthy weight now, and just deciding how svelte to be! My tip would be to make 5:2 easy and sustainable. If it is a life long eating pattern you can just roll along with it and the kilos will drop off a lot more quickly than they came on.

Welcome Joffy, I avoid calling 5:2 a diet (a diet is what you eat, fasting is what you don’t eat πŸ˜‰ ) and sometimes I just say “I eat lightly a couple of days a week, for my health.” Which is true, but I have been very glad to lose the excess weight!
    I’m a big one for finding that planning leads to success, so cheers to you!

Intesha I am glad Sydney is having a lovely day! Sun here in Melbourne too, warming up a cold morning. Cheers for your personal best! And the beautiful dress!

Thin, cheers for the size 10 shorts! And for 32C, although I think I would be complaining about the heat if it popped up like that here, without a gentle warm up. (Last year at this time we were in the high 30’s with bushfires) 22 today.

My day went well yesterday. It was still nice and fasty but I had a little bit of savoury baked ricotta with tomato, and a few almonds for lunch and then my miso soup in the evening… and then a few more almonds! those almonds would have taken me over 800 calories but it felt like a light day and it took a lot less concentration than a proper fast day.
    I’ll try harder to stay around 800 calories next time though.

Are you fasting today Pamie? Best wishes for a great fast day.
    I also avoid counting calories and concentrate on being mindful on non fast days, in the hope that I can train my brain back to realising when I have had enough, and break all the habits that need breaking!

Nicky and Merelly, so sorry you are having sleeping problems. I struggle with insomnia, but I have for years, so I can’t blame 5:2. (I do sleep more lightly after a fast day, and just put up with it because it is worth it).
    Fingers crossed you settle back to sleeping properly as 5:2 becomes a normal way of life.

Cheers for your second fast day Merelly, I hope it was a good one!

Hi Merry, yes pot at the end of the rainbow is true for me too. If only I had known about 5:2 when I was younger! (as we keep saying)

Eloelo, I am another with ME/CFS and it was such a relief to be able to lose that weight and realise that exercise isn’t necessarily part of the calories in/calories out equation.
    Enjoy that yellow jelly!

Cheers all!

Thanks Intesha and Joffy!
    Nothing beats vefetables indeed… I’m also trying to eat more seafood and eggs, as i really need proteins to not feel hungry but steak is a killer calory wise.
    Today is a NFD for me and I’m going to try a soccer team for mom. I never played soccer except at recess when I was like 8 yo πŸ˜‚ so I hope I can take it! 90min practice sounds much more than reasonable. We’ll see!!

Posts crossed. Hello Barata!
    Great link Joffy (just when I thought you were avoiding ‘diet’ πŸ˜‰ ) I am going to explore it more.
    Go go soccer playing EloElo!

All the stories are very inspiring and interesting. I did my second fast yesterday, had one large boiled egg for breakfast; one spring vegetable cup of soup with one lonely sao cracker for lunch; 100g of poached chicken with a lovely salad of spinach & lettuce, cucumber, mini roma tomatoes, fetta, olives & asparagus (plus dash of italian dressing) for dinner. Two cups of tea, one coffee and water. I was a bit hungry by dinner time but wow, that dinner tasted awesome! I keep thinking about all the people in the world who are hungry on a permanent basis and how a bit of hunger is good for reflection. I have a work colleague who is Muslim and said to me, “I have to fast regularly in my religion and we are not allowed to get ‘hangry’, we reflect on how to be a better person”. Makes sense, doesn’t it? I like it. Anyway, I have been very good as well during the week, keeping to 1200 cals per day. As I mentioned before, wine was my main vice so I have not had a glass since last Sunday, which in itself is an achievement health wise! I am not going to calorie count this weekend (or today) but be sensible as I don’t want to undo my good work. Might have a glass or two of wine though (please, no “advice” from the teetotallers, I’ll respect your decisions if you respect mine). Have a great weekend everyone, I’m looking to spending some quality time with my lovely daughter, husband and friends.

G’day, Cinque. You are almost at maintenance? Wonderful! πŸ™‚ And so many others discovering this amazing life-changing system to control our health.

Drear chilly day in Wellington today, but I went for my first swim since winter in the local pool this morning, broke my (Thursday) fast late morning, bones are simmering for the latest batch of stock, and I am loving what might be my last Friday off this month – October gets busy for us accountants in NZ!

Hi Everyone
    My hubby Shaun & I are in Gladstone, Qld.
    We started the 5:2 journey on Monday – our first fast day.
    We found it a bit tough, but got through it together. I think doing 5:2 as a couple is great, we are supporting each other all the way and keeping each other accountable.

Best of luck to you all!
    Lisa & Shaun

Hi Everyone, FD for me today. Nothing until lunch and then a cup of soup. Started work at 5.15am and have just got home. Going to have a lovely bubble bath. Its raining again and is bleak outside. Spinach soup for dinner and an early night. Looking forward to the weekend off. Have a good day everybody.

Hi All,

Welcome new members! Hello veterans! I started back at TAFE this week for the diploma course, which is very much university level study, so I’ll be around a bit less.

Anyway, I thought to write an update to let you know that even though I’m in maintenance, I’m happy to be continuing with 5:2. I did experiment with one week of 6:1 though realized that I’d rather eat a bit more than my TDEE goal weight calories on my NFDs. Continuing with 5:2 definitely enables me to do this with ease.

When I reached goal weight, I looked back on my 5:2 journey and concluded that the as a whole, the experience, which started in June and ended in September (for a 7.5 kg loss), was effortless compared to any other fat shedding program that I’d ever been involved in. Fasting not only helps me shed fat, gain muscle mass, clear my head and arteries all while making me feel better! So, continuing with it feels natural. …For now at least! I’m fasting tomorrow!

Definitely fasting tomorrow as I feel like I’ve eaten too much today. Nothing too much of anything Just boredom eating really which I am annoyed at. Oh well tomorrow’s a new day.

Daughter has survived three HSC – year 12- exams – three more to go – although spread out over the next 2.5 weeks

Happy fasting tomorrow to those who will join me – I plan on saving the calories for sat night.

Sucessfull fast day yesterday. Lost another 500gm. Start weight 85.5kg now 83kg. Really, really pleased.Its so encouraging belonging to this forum and reading and sharing. In the past I didn’t have this. I’m sure its helping.I do enjoy reading everyones input. Keep up the good work everyone. We can do this.

Good morning. Paramau i hope you enjoyed every last drop of your wine. I too love my wine and scotch. Prior to 5:2 I drank regularly but I now find that I can’t drink as much and go weeks without. I think it might have something to do with the changes in our metabolism. Really have no idea, but don’t for a minute feel guilty. 5:2 is a new way of life not a life sentence of abstinence from food or drink.

I fell off the wagon yesterday. Went to the movies and I can’t resist a choc top ice cream but did take some nuts to nibble on. Missed lunch and came home to a piece of lamington cream cake. Had a scotch and peanuts and ice cream after dinner. Weight this morning 66.8.

Will be more mindful today and do my extra FD tomorrow.

Have just booked a spur of the moment cruise for 3 nights to nowhere leaving on the 27th, something to look forward to.

Great work Pamie. I think sometimes being part of a supportive group gives us more reason to want to achieve plus we are all real people living real lives.

Well Intesha, no falling off the wagon, just a surprise feast day! When I have one I just think hmmm, maybe try to wait a month for the next one!
    And…. wow! a cruise!

Welcome Lisa and Shaun! I first saw 5:2 in practice when my friends Lin and Curt started doing it as a couple. It does make it easy when the household is geared to it, and you can sort out any problems together. They are why I started!

Hey cheeselovers, I read some interesting research that says cheese (like nuts) mightn’t give us as many calories as we thought it did because a lot of the fat in it goes straight through us.

So glad people are finding good support in this group. I love how everyone has a slightly different way of making 5:2 work in their lives.
    Very nice loss Pamie!

I’m here with my 2 yr old granddaughter who stayed overnight. So I’m a bit distracted. Luckily Peppa Pig is on at the moment.

It sounds like you had a wonderful last-Friday-off Barata! I hope you have an easy and satisfying busy time with all the accounts!
    I am hoping to join the Maintenance thread soon!

Stephy good luck to your daughter for the rest of her exams! And I hope you can find an alternative for boredom snacking! Have a lovely fast day today! You are one day ahead of me! Sunday is my fast day.

Lael, that is such a good overview. I have found the same. Making light fasts a normal part of life means that what we are doing becomes normal life!

Paramau I love that quote from your Muslim colleague. I had dear Muslim neighbours (they were out from Mozambique to study) and I remember them talking about fasting in a similar way.
    Dr Mosley talks about how fasting is part of so many religions and cultures. It seems to be just our Western society that has gone all snack snack!
    (we eat like toddlers! I say, watching Josie eat)

Hi Cinque,

I’m not sure these directly answer your question, though they relate to weight loss and cheese…

Research Results

‘While it’s possible that eating cheese could cause weight gain, studies published in “The New England Journal of Medicine” in June 2011 and the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition” in December 2006 didn’t find an association between cheese consumption and weight gain. In fact, the “AJCN” study found that eating moderate amounts of cheese was associated with weight loss.’ From: http://www.livestrong.com/article/457061-can-eating-cheese-cause-weight-gain/

Eating Healthy Fat Doesn’t Make You Fat

‘It’s encouraging to see mainstream media outlets like Yahoo busting the prevalent myth that fat must be avoided if you want to lose weight. In fact, research suggests that eating healthy fats is actually conducive to weight loss. When you eat fats as part of your meal, they actually slow down your food absorption so that you can go longer without feeling hungry. The fatty acid conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), found in grass-fed beef and full-fat dairy products from grass-fed cows (butter, milk, cheese, etc.), is also associated with reduced body fat and weight.’ From: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/08/eating-fat-wont-make-you-fat-but-these-10-things-will.aspx

Hi Lael, Granddaughter is having her nap so I have been blissfully drinking a big cup of tea and trying to find that article! I can’t! And I can’t find the one about nuts either.
    When I read the one about cheese (yesterday I think) I did think it wasn’t good enough science for me to post it in the science thread here. But it definitely indicated that a lot of the fat in cheese just goes straight through the digestive system without being absorbed, and that is why we would get less calories from it than previously thought. I will keep an eye out in case I do see it again.

Hi Cinque, Ah, you are caring for your granddaughter over the weekend! I bet she keeps you on your toes, when she’s not napping!

Would the nut article be this one?

http://www.drmirkin.com/weekly-ezine-page/why-nuts-wont-make-you-fat.html

Not to clog up this forum with my various research efforts, though here’s one about the calcium in dairy preventing the absorption of fat from dairy. What is most interesting is that the taking of calcium as a supplement did not have this effect!

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/3/678.long

hi All

still fasting just been really busy, what I love about this lifestyle choice is that it doesn’t matter how busy you get, fasting is about not doing something so there no excuse like I don’t have time to exercise, bloody hard to say I don’t have enough time therefore I must eat

Hagar

Hagar! Good to see you back and to hear that you’re still fasting! Your point is so true about fasting is about not doing! I sometimes view my fasts as my ‘retreat’ days!

PS have lost 20 Kgs sense I have started, 13 more to go till maintence

Wow Hagar!!! Well done!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Lael that is the nut research, but you found an even better article than the one I read. (And it makes me feel that my Thursday 800 fast day may have been more successful than I thought! πŸ˜‰ )

Hagar, woot! Thanks for letting us know so we can be delighted for you! And yes, that is the thing to love!

Just got up from recovery nap after dropping granddaughter home. I ate a block of chocolate. Yes me. Ms I-don’t-eat-any-sugar. I loved every bit (lindt dark chocolate). But I think I will suffer tomorrow. Luckily it is my fast day Sunday.
    (The problem is that I ate some chocolate after a couple of years of no sugar and had no reaction, so every now and then I decide to try again)

Oh well off to cook dinner now. Chicken Bordeaux, a big pot so I can take some to my daughter.

Cinque, Mmmmm, chocolate! I’ve been partial to 90% Lindt chocolate blocks! Hoping that you had an easy FD with no reactions from yesterday’s enjoyment!

I’ve continued to search out science regarding cheese digestion because I too am interested. I love mozzarella and eat it most NFDs on salad! Anyway, I found this one that might be of interest! Apparently it is because the fat is fermented that it is less absorbed by the digestive tract, according to this article…

http://www.montignac.com/en/intestinal-absorption-physiology/

Well I got very irritable today but I don’t know if it was the chocolate, the fasting, or writing a fundraising plan, or going to my daughter’s and forgetting to take the Chicken Bordeaux I made for her (I took my mixed veggies by mistake) or trying to do the written part of the first aid training I did, that I had to do today or bust!

But it is the end of the day and I did everything (except the chicken, I will take it to her in the morning) and I made my miso soup, and I am going to go to bed early and listen to the radio, I think.

You are such a good researcher Lael! That may well be the thing about not absorbing all the fat in cheese. Pity I am mostly a fan of unfermented cheeses like ricotta!

Cheers all!

Cinque, sounds like you had a busy and frustrating day!
    I hope tomorrow is better. Good job managing everything.

Lael: maybe all thing-alive in the cheese help with digestion as well? When I go back to France, I always eat very fatty food, cured meats, “real” yogurts, tons and tons of cheese, large amounts of butter (love the croissants) yet I loose weight. My mom says it’s because my internal flora dislikes my international food habits and that I don’t maintain my bacteria the way I should if I ate my raw dairies. I always think she’s critics with foods and it’s because I walk more on vacations that I loose weight. But maybe she’s right, and you are too: cheese is not the enemy πŸ™‚

Anyway, not too much cheese for me today. My FD went well, the day is not over yet but for the first time I’m still a bit under 500cal after dinner. FD at home is much easier for me than FD at work.
    Is anyone doing 2 days in a row? I’m afraid that if I would do that I would regain the entire weight during the 5 NFD. I know the goal is to become healthy not loose weight, but I could really drop 10kg or more… I have to shed 8% body fat to get out of the obese range.
    Good night everyone! Good luck to all fadting tomorrow!

Hi, FD today. Nicky and Merre I too wake frequently during the night. I’ve started taking a herbal remedy just until I get my sleeping habits back on track. Can’t say its making a huge difference yet. However I do go back to sleep quickly, only woke twice last night 12.30 and 3.15. A cruise Intesha, wow. Do have fun. Set myself a goal of 12km fun walk in November. I wasn’t doing much exercise so jumped in at the deep end. Went for 11/2 hour walk yesterday and felt good. Lovely sunny morning unfortunately rain later, will be glad when summer arrives this wet weather has lasted far too long!!
    Have a great day one and all.

Sun coming through the trees outside my window. Very pretty!
    Porridge cooking to start the morning
    Cup of tea in my hand.
    Life is good.

Cheers to everyone fasting today!

Cheers to everyone having a non fast day!

Hi everyone! Pupils free day today, so I’m happily stuck at home with the kids. Still have to work, but it’s always nice to do it from home, and much more relax.
    FD yesterday, I did great calory wise and went for a run but today 74.3 which is 1kg more than last week.
    Go figure. I’ve been eating about 1500 calories on NFD, following the book suggestion. Bad idea obviously, much more than I can take with my crappy metabolism.

I’m doing a second FD today to see if it helps and go back to 1200 calories on NFD. It sucks a little to not be able to eat anything without storing it, I wish I could enjoy 5 “normal days” without counting every calory and planning it all in advance.

Maybe alternating days 4:3 will do the trick? If anyone has any suggestions, I’ll take them! I’ve prepared a liter of calorie-free jello, and bought some la zuppa soups.
    Good day to all!

Viewing 50 posts - 9,351 through 9,400 (of 28,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply.