Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 5 hours, 35 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,401 through 9,450 (of 28,005 total)

• Just keep on with what you are doing Eloelo! Sometimes scales are no use whatsoever. (I don’t own them and only use them when I see some conveniently positioned like the ones I found in the hospital corridor when I was visiting after my granddaughter was born!).
    Use other ways to judge how you are going: how your clothes are fitting, measure around your waist, think about how often you are feeling overfull or empty.
    Try the scales in a week and see what they say then!

Enjoy your day at home!

Hi everyone and thanks for the warm welcome. Well another fast day and another dull day here in Adelaide, really want some sunshine.

This will be my 3rd fast day, went away on the weekend with friends and ended up demolishing 2 bottles of wine on my own!

Not weighing until 10 Nov, but do feel likw the love handles are shrinking a bit, but it might be just wishful thinking.

Good luck fellow 5.2 followers x

Hi eloelochat,

I actually find that different calories behave differently in my body! Like Merry, starchy carb calories tend to make me gain compared to me eating those same calories from protein and non-starchy carb sources. For example, if I eat white rice (such as with a curry) that tends to blow a whole week of progress for me. I can eat white potatoes, though only if I’ve cooked and cooled them because the starch is changed into something called ‘resistant starch’ that actually supports healthy blood sugar levels (I’ve tested via my own home BG monitor). Like you pointed out about your time in France eating cheese, I seem to be able to eat a fair amount of it with great results.

I’ve never counted calories while doing 5:2. Doing so would drive me around the bend! Instead what I do is do substitution. So instead of eating the white rice, I make cauliflower rice. I pass on all bread and well, sugar just isn’t in the picture at all because I’m so weak willed. A spoonful of sugar makes Lael go down (and not in weight but in willpower and I end up graduating from smaller portions of sugary foods to larger as time goes on, until I stop eating it altogether). I know this way doesn’t work for everyone though I trust you will find what works best for you!

Hi everyone,

Hi Barata – good to hear from you!

End of FD for me, and will be interesting tomorrow morning. Yesterday I had one of my rare days where for some reason my body wants a bit of starchy carb, so had a small amount of polenta porridge with a bit of milk. This happens about once per 3 months, and I can’t even explain how I know that’s what it is . I may just be deluding myself, who knows. Anyway I will probably pay the price on the scales tomorrow on mornng after FD weigh. As Lael says, I can’t eat starchy carbs and lose weight, but I’ll add a little back in once I get at maintenace. I intend to stay on 5:2 after reaching maintenace and then work on fine tuning my long term regime checking nutrition etc.

Lael, congratulations on reaching maintenance if I haven’t said it before. I remember how easy you had to take this in the beginning to make sure it was OK for you to do. Good on you for having the courage to do this and reaching your goal. Well done!

Cinque – wow, you’re pretty much there now. Well done to you too! How amazing is it? Fantastic!

Onwards and Downwards everyone!
    Merry

An FD dinner recipe to share:

Mahi Mahi / Salmon & Veggie Skillet

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons olive/coconut oil, divided
    * 4 mahi mahi or salmon fillets (180gms each)
    * 1 each of medium sweet red, green, yellow Capsicum, cut into thick strips
    * 250 gms sliced baby portobello mushrooms
    * 1 large red onion, cut into thick rings and separated
    * 1/3 cup lemon juice
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    * 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    * 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
    * 1/3 cup pine nuts, optional

Directions

1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
    2. Add fillets; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Remove from pan and keep warm.
    3. Add remaining oil, peppers, mushrooms, onion, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
    4. Place fish over vegetables; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Cook, covered, 2 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with chives and, if desired, pine nuts before serving.

Nutritional Info: 1 serving: 307 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 12g net carbohydrate , 35g protein.

Good morning everyone!
    Hello Emmsee! That does look a delicious recipe!
    It was good to read your profile. Congratulations!
    And there is a lovely lot of evidence saying that some coffee does us good (she writes, sipping on her lovely pot of coffee made before 7:30 am this morning because it is THAT sort of day!)

Back to rain here in Melbourne. I am super busy but still seem to be surviving!

I hope everyone is set for a good fast day or a good non fast day!
    It is a good non fast day for me!

Morning all,
    Hi emmsee – looks like a lovely recipe. Welcome here🙂

Post FD weigh in 64.5kgs, where I was before I went visiting family, looking after the littlies etc. good to be back here again -took a week, so not too bad.

Cinque- nonFD here too today and lots to do too. Hope all is going well with your new grandbaby and miss 2 giving you much joy amongst the full-on-ness.

nicky- Cinque has done her entire 5:2 journey without scales and judging how her clothes fit. The shrinking love handles probably aren’t wishful thinking.

Happy FD to the Tuesday fasters, and make it a good NFF for the nonfasters,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Good morning everyone,
    I completed my 2nd fast day this morning. I found it ok until after dinner, then I fell asleep in front of the telly and woke up at 11.30pm and started feeling the hunger stirring again which kept me awake until 2.00am. This didn’t happen last time as I had a meeting on the night of my fast day which meant I didn’t eat dinner until 9.30pm. I might have to visit friends or get busy on fast day evenings to push back dinner until later to not have this happen again.

I have found myself looking forward to fast days and I don’t mind feeling hungry during the day. I have dropped 2 kilo’s this week which looks good but I will be waiting for the clothes to loosen up before I start jumping up and down.

Meals for the day were 100g of strawberries, 100g of blueberries, stir fried veges and 100g prawns, lots of water and 4 black tea’s.

Loving it and keep the good stories and support coming, it keeps us all inspired.

Another easy and delicious recipe especially for us Aussies:
    THAI PRAWN CURRY
    273 calories
    One of my favourite quick Dinners. It’s so easy to prepare and really delicious.

SERVES 2 • PREP 5m • COOK 10m
    1 tsp coconut oil (27 cals)
    1 tbsp Thai green curry paste (30 cals)
    ½ × 400ml can coconut milk, Shaken before opening (146 cals)
    1 red Capsicum, deseeded and cut into strips (51 cals)
    75g frozen peas (50 cals)
    1 spring onion (shallot), trimmed and shredded (5 cals)
    160g pak choi, roughly chopped (30 cals)
    225g raw king prawns (171 cals)
    juice of 1 lime (4 cals)
    1 fresh basil leaf, shredded
    1 small handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped (3 cals)
    • Warm the oil in a wide saucepan, add the curry paste and stir-fry for 1 minute before adding the coconut milk. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the pepper, peas and spring onions and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Add the pak choi and prawns and cook for 2 minutes, or until the prawns turn pink.
    • Finally, stir in the lime juice, basil and coriander and serve immediately.
    Bon Appetit
    emmsee

Hi Everyone,

I’m in Melbourne. Just starting on my journey. Finding it hard to pick a day to start. Any advice?

Hi Joffy, some people keep a bit of their FD calories till just before bed e.g. a milk drink,boiled egg , banana and that seems to do the trick if you’re one of the “I can’t sleep if I don’t eat close to bedtime” group.

Hi Cheeal – welcome to this thread and welcome to 5:2. If you haven’t already read it or got it, The Fast Diet by Dr Michael Mosely and Mimi Spencer is worth the small price it costs. Watch the documentary Eat Fast Live Longer on youtube. Read the opening post on the information for newbies thread, written by simcoeluv as it’s excellent. If you go back a couple of pages on this thread you’ll see the link. You will know if you’re someone who needs to plan ahead before you start, so do that, and work out your 500/600cals for your 1st Fast Day (FD). For us, I had heard about 5:2 for about 3weeks and was going to talk to my OH about it, came home from being out and he’d watched the documentary and said he thought we might try it. Got the book the next morning, both read it, and started the day after that, which was a Thursday and I’ve been Mon and Thursday fasting ever since. We just used the food we had in the house, a pad and a calculator.

Stay on the forum, we have had many successful 5:2ers on this thread, good luck!
    Merry

Intesha,
    Can’t find your email address from before, so have asked the moderator to send you my email address, so we can organise that coffee together,

Merry

I wouldn’t have been able to get very far with this way of life without your initial support Merry and Cinque over in the Chronic Fatigue group when I first began experimenting. As some may know I have a health issue history that is thought to contraindicate the practice of 5:2. I doubted I would ever be able to pull it off! It was only with your encouragement and the sharing of your personal experiences Merry and Cinque that I even considered it a possibility and decided to give it a go.

While I’ve been practicing 5:2 I’ve shared my experience others including a mentor in a particular online health group to which I belong. Upon hearing news of my 5:2 practice, the mentor discouraged me from continuing with it by reminding me of the supposed long term toll it would take on my adrenals. I understand the theory behind this concern, since it is what made me cautious at the start. However, my experience has been the complete opposite. I feel the best I’ve felt in years. In fact I went on a 34 kilometer bicycle ride yesterday, the farthest I’ve ridden in over 4 years and felt very few side affects in the aftermath from doing so and absolutely none the next day (today) which is when consequences usually hit me. This is almost unbelievable to me! I attribute this not only to the kilograms of fat I shed but also what I’ll call the ‘X Factor’ regenerating effects of 5:2!

Lael, Cinque, Merryme, you are legends to me. Usually I would have dropped off the waggon at the first hiccup ( e.g weight crawling back up) and made excuses. But I’m syill hanging up there! One FD + NFD later, I am 2cm smaller in my belly. Amazing! The bloating is going away, and hopefully the fat with it.

Hooray!
    I’m going to try and stir away from starch until I figure out which one, how much and when I can have some without problems.

Nickie, wine is like carbs. Sometimes it’s difficult to have just a little. I don’t drink at home very often but I go to a lot of fundraisers in October and I don’t want to say no to everything! I switched to white wine, which is lighter in cal and that I don’t like as much as red. Makes it easier to have just one.

Cheeal welcome! Good luck!

Emmsee yummy recipes! I never cook Mahi Mahi because I did not grow up eating it so I never even think about buying/cooking it! I’m def going to try it.
    Alright time to wake up the kids and get ready for work.
    Have a great day, whatever food or non food and tea it brings!

Merry where do they send it to?

Today’s favourite is a breakfast treat that will keep the hunger pains at bay for many hours.
    I often have this on a coconut flatbread (Only 40 extra calories per piece) – I last from 0900 till 1900 with this combo meal and only 176 or 216 Cals.
    Both recipes below:
    Scramblers
    Ingredients
    * 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
    * 1/4 cup chopped tomato
    * 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
    * Dash salt and pepper
    * 1 egg
    * 1 tablespoon water
    * 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Directions
    1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion over medium heat until tender. Add the tomato, basil, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.

2. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water. Add egg mixture to the pan; cook and stir until egg is completely set. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
    Yield: 1 serving.

Nutritional Facts
    1 each: 136 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fibre), 11g protein.

Coconut Flour Flatbread
    INGREDIENTS

* 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
    * â…› teaspoon salt
    * â…› teaspoon baking powder
    * â…› teaspoon baking soda
    * 2 eggs OR 1 Tablespoon Ener-g egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water
    * ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the eggs or egg replacer and unsweetened coconut milk and stir until completely combined and thick. This may take awhile, but be patient; the batter will thicken up as you stir.
    2. Spread ½ the batter into a greased small skillet and smooth with a spoon. Cook over medium heat until solidified, and carefully flip. Transfer to a platter and repeat with remaining half of batter. Top with Scramblers and devour.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
    Serving size: 1 recipe (2 pieces) Calories: 80 Fat: 3 grams Protein: 3 grams

Bon Appetit Aussies

Georgia/USA/Day 19 NFD:

Thanks @emmsee for that great recipes. Will definitely be trying those soon.

Hi, very disappointed with myself. FD yesterday and I blew it. Started off fine then picked at everything in sight during the afternoon. Try again on Saturday.Have a good day everyone.

Oh Pamie, can you make it a learning opportunity rather than a failure? I bet there was something that happened, or something about yesterday, that set you off, and kept you picking.
    It will be like a good detective story, working it out.

EmmSee, I love flatbread! I make a lot of dosa’s (quick ones, I never manage the fermented one!) and tortillas.

EloElo, I am so glad that this thread has been useful to you. I think it has made such a difference that people like Thin and Merry who have got to maintenance have stayed around to support others. I plan to do that too as I can see how strong it makes this thread. I wonder how long it will be before you are one of the long timers here!

Lael I think 5:2 has made a big difference to my health too. (And finally going on an asthma preventer too). My health has been extraordinary, although the demands of my project have been growing over the last couple of weeks thanks to some communication problems in the team (isn’t there always!).

Actually it is very much to do with how hard it is to work with someone with chronic illness so I am sympathetic to the others on the team. On the other hand I need to put strict measures in place so I can survive. I hope I still come here, it is a good counterbalance. But if I can’t, know that I am missing you all.

I think I have decided not to make today a fast day, I will concentrate on eating well (meaning good healthy food in sensible portions!). best wishes everyone!

Hi can i join you guys trying to get back with it found the 8 week blood sugar book yesterday interesting read love the recipes. i am from NSW wollongong. I am starting with a FD today clean out my pantry and going shopping for real food.

Good Morning all,

Thanks for the great recipes emmsee. You have a great story too. How’s 5:2 going for you?

pamie – don’t be too hard on yourself, it means you’re like everybody else. As Cinque says – make it a learning day so that it becomes a day towards your progress instead of a day gone. 5:2 is very forgiving, and we all find pretty quickly that it gives us the opportunity to look at our eating behaviours, and see where we’ve been going wrong. What triggered the afternoon picking? Was it something that set you off emotionally, was it seeing food there, was it thirst, was it not having enough to keep busy, being in the kitchen or too close to it, were you missing the texture or flavour of something, were you tired etc etc. when you learn what triggered it then you can work out a strategy to put in place to circumvent it if it happens again. Otherwise, it’s just 1 day, and very small in the big scheme of things. When you fall off the horse just get back on it and keep going.

Intesha – To the email you would have given when you first joined the website

fishing gran – welcome! Very committed start, well done. I haven’t read Dr M’s 8week Blood Sugar book yet, just the Fast Diet – which is the basic 5:2 book. This works, and works well. I have had no way to lose my weight, and so improve my health but I have done so, and I’m amazed at how effective this is. You will find a lot of support on the forum and yes, there are many great recipes now. You are fairly local to a couple of us. Do you live north, south or in the middle?

therealwil – hi, great to see you pop in here!

eloelo – 5:2 is very forgiving, and this is so different to any of the usual weight loss diets because it’s 2 days a week. We go on a learning journey which gives us confidence that we can learn where we’ve been making wrong choices, sometimes seeing where we’ve been conned by food companies being secretive being underhanded about what they put in food, how we are influenced by other people’s behaviours, and we learn new ways to do things, in a way and choosing that’s our choice not other people’s. You’re doing well. When I started 5:2 we had Barata and purple vegie eater on here who were fantastic and helped me so much.

Must go,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Merry I will put it in my profile, let me know when you have it.

Thanks Merry i live south. Having a good day walked 2000 steps in Woolies this morning nearly have my 10000 up for today lots of fresh veg trying Mckensies super blend looks good as a rice replacement.those recipes look good.

Hi everyone. I’m facing the hardest day I had in a while. My laboratory is running low on funds and after talking to finance I had to admit that I have to let go 2 of my staff at the end of this year. I’ve been pushing it, not even paying myself full time these past months but they’re nice ladies and they work hard: they don’t deserve any of this… I’ve had one conversation already, will have the 2nd one on Monday.

Makes me really mad at myself (bad boss can’t find money for their people?) and sad. I don’t know if today being a FD makes it worse or if the situation is just too much for me but I am on maximum emotional alert here…
    I know this forum is 5:2 but you have provided me with so much support that I feel it almost natural to turn to you. Sorry for venting. I haven’t eaten anything today yet, and I might just drink my calories tonight with a glass of wine.
    I’ll see when I get home. By for now, I hope everyone had a much better day tpday!

Intesha, got it! Thanks

eloelo – vent away, it’s fine, most of us have done it, and this is real life we are working in, and getting ourselves back to normal in. Again just do the best you can, and later on you can look back and see how you responded, what your triggers were, and we can support you and give you ideas as you work through what your best strategies are when Capital L life comes along. 5:2 allows us to live a realistic life, and get back to our normal weight and better health anyway.

Merry

Eloelo we are more than 5:2. We are a support group. Our lives revolve around 5:2 and all our ups and downs contribute to our success. We all have STUFF happening in our lives and trying to lose weight is a major stress and something we tend to give up when life becomes too much.

By being connected to this forum it gives you purpose and we are here to support you in anyway we can. I certainly can speak from first hand experience. Without this forum I would never have achieved what I have or stayed the distance.

Enjoy your wine or whatever it takes to help you get through this rough patch, we are thinking of you.

Hi Eloelo, It is an awful thing to have to do. It is clearly not your fault, and all you can do is to have those horrible conversations as best you can.
    My heart goes out to you.

I hope you really enjoy that glass of wine, but you might need a little bowl of something healthy to stop it making you sick!

I’m very tired, I won’t write more, but I saw your post and just wanted to send my sympathy.

Georgia/USA/Day 20/FD:

So I kinda pigged out yesterday. Not my proudest moment. But as you all say, learn from it. I know I was worried about things going on in my life and I medicate with food. I snacked before and after dinner. Throughout the day really. I have a birthday coming up tomorrow. I’m taking the day off and going to get a massage. I’m not of fan of aging, but the alternative sucks. So I guess I can at least try to look and feel my best. That’s why I’m here in this forum. I’m trying to be the best me that I can be. I want to feel good about myself when I look in the mirror and when I go shopping for clothes. I want to feel more confident in my appearance. This 5:2 has given me loads of confidence and I don’t want to waste anymore time living. So here’s to you all!! Enjoy your day.

Good morning all. Well nearly 90 weeks down the track from beginning this journey I have seen but can hardly believe 65.6 on the scales this morning. This was a pie in the sky, excuse the pun, goal. So many challenges along the way, not health like some of you have had to endure but mental and self doubt.

500gms off a 22 kg loss. So if I can do it I know all of you who are questioning this way of life can do it too if you stay with us.

I probably won’t see it again now for a few weeks as tomorrow I am going to a high tea party and next Thursday going on my mini cruise to nowhere and with Xmas looming ever closer there will undoubtedly be diversions along the way.

My goal now will be to get back to 65 and try to maintain that. I could probably lose another 5kg but I’m not going to put that stress on myself. Just continue with 5:2. This WOL has changed my life and it will change yours as well.

As they say, how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

Happy Friday and keep posting we need to keep hearing your stories.

Eloelo hope you are feeling a little better today.

Fishinggran, welcome you’ve joined a fantastic support group

Hi eveyone. Eloelo my heart goes out to you. Stay strong. Cinque, you are marvellous with your words of encouragement. Thankyou. Intesha, hope your high tea was fun and have a fabulous cruise.
    I have just bought some new scales with body fat % etc. They weigh at least 2kg heavier than my old ones. However I think back to cinque’s comments and I am not dispondent but
    even more determined now to see them go down. I’m working this weekend but all of you have a fabulous Labour weekend (NZ). Eveyone else just have a great weekend.FD tomorrow.

Morning all. Another fast day completed. This was a much better day than the last, thanks Merryme for your advice on a later dinner time this made my nights sleep better.
    I did some household chores from 6pm to drag out dinner start time to 8.00pm and I was going to do an omelette but decided to try a frittata to get more vege’s in but it took 30mins in the oven so I didn’t eat until 9.00pm which worked more in favour.
    Although I did some cleaning inside the house, I was not able to bring myself to mow the lawns in the afternoon for fear of wanting a beer after doing it as would be usual. The lawns will get done today.

Even though I was making myself busy with the cleaning, every time I finished something I stopped to look at the time to see if I could start dinner as I was hungry but knew another hour wouldn’t hurt and I was worried about sleeping later as I was affected earlier this week so when I started dinner it felt like a relief to be able to start and I relaxed immediately.

I did lose another 1kg after this fast but I have it to lose.
    My meals were, 100g of strawberries, 200g of rockmelon for lunch and frittata with 2 eggs 800kj and 2 egg whites 150kj with 10grams of salami 180kj(which is 2 shaved slices),onions 115kj, capsicum 115kj, tomato 85kj and bok choy 50kj (have to use what is in the fridge) Total 1500kj for the frittata.

May as well make it a recipe, grab the above ingredients not the rockmelon or strawberries and I would change the bok choy with asparagus and add mushrooms but whatever is in the fridge.
    Method:
    Heat oven to 200c, chop vege’s and tear up salami into pieces.
    Separate the egg whites of 2 eggs into a small bowl and add 2 eggs
    Mix eggs and whites together and add oregano (dried from the jar), salt and pepper and continue mixing until combined.
    Line a 15cm-20cm diameter cake tin with baking paper so it comes up the sides to the top (Use a dab of butter several places in the tin to make the paper stick to it) and check youtube on how to cut the paper round easily.
    Add egg mixture to the tin then put in the rest of the ingredients in, you may have to push them in, keep some of the tomatoes for the top. (Looks pretty)
    Place in the oven for approx. 30mins or until done (test with a fork)
    Remove the tin from the oven and carefully lift the paper up and onto a plate.
    With a shirt lifter work the edges of the frittata to separate from the baking paper and slide off.
    Enjoy with a glass of your favourite water.

For the ladies you can reduce the kj’s by removing an egg and adding only the white or get rid of the salami.

Sorry the post was long but this dinner was very tasty.

@merryme,
    I had a friend (female) who was quite overweight and had tried everything to lose weight and eventually went on the 5:2 diet.
    When she told me that she would only eat 500 calories twice a week, I was shocked and thought ‘no way could I do that’!
    Shortly after we left Cairns for our first lap around Australia, joining the ever increasing crowd of Grey Nomads and didn’t get to see Rose for nearly 2 years. Wow – a different person met us; Rose had dropped 4 sizes and 35kg (77lb for you Northern Hemispherites).
    I have (maybe had) several severe health problems including 3 herniated lumbar discs and had blown out to 99kg. My GP referred me to a Physio who recommended Hydrotherapy. She wrote me a program but also pointed out that I was obese (I’d run 9 marathons in the 80/90’s carrying a weight of 65kg).
    I happened to visit a barber’s shortly after and saw a copy of Kate Harrison’s 5:2 Diet Book. He said take, I’ve lost what I need and you seem interested.
    Well, I’m a boots and all guy and read the book over the next 2 days then spent 2 weeks reading Michael’s books and asking my second best friend for advice – Google Search.
    Mid April 2016 I started the plan with an aim of losing 24kg by year end. I use Evernote to collect and collate 300 Calorie Dinner recipes and now have enough to not have to repeat a recipe before 2017 (except for favourites).
    As I’m retired I have the time and the desire to spend time in the van’s kitchen – my better half has joined me on the 5:2 quest.
    I’ve dropped 15KG weight and 20cm (8″) off my waist. Still 10KG to go but HJ has reached her ideal weight – she wasn’t as overweight as I was.
    We’re finding Fast Days really easy, but I think that’s because we don’t have to head off to work and we have a high protein breakfast between 10 and 11 am, then dinner between 6 & 7 pm – again low carb, high protein as it staves off the hunger pains.

I hadn’t been able to walk any distance for 6 years (due to the back problem), but am now walking 7/8km 3 days a week and 1 hour of Hydrotherapy 3 days a week.
    Consequently my Neurosurgeon has cancelled 2 operations he had planned and I’m painkiller free for the first time since 2010.
    I anyone is having trouble sticking to 5:2 (or more particularly Fast Days) – variety is the key; the more recipes you have the more likely you are to stick to the plan.
    Bon Appetit
    emmsee

emmsee, your story is wonderful to read! I especially liked reading that your neurosurgeon has cancelled those two operations he’d planned and that you are now painkiller free first time since 2010!

Intesha, I meant to congratulate you on your latest personal best, which was back on the previous page.

I’m only reading random entries to this thread at moment since I’m so busy!

How difficult to have to tell give good staff notice to leave. That would be so hard eleochat! Hope your fasting and non-fasting days aren’t too affected. I tend to eat emotionally when times are tough.

I’m fasting tomorrow.

its 5am and I’m just off to work. FD today. I have had a smoothie for breakfast so hopefully that will keep me happy for awhile. I cook for a living so I have to try really hard not to taste test everything.Looks like being a lovely day.

Wow so many posts to catch up on and good advice.I suffer from insomnia i saw something about eating a banana before bed helps.something to do with the potassium not sure if its right but will give it a go.Did a FD on Thursday and had an up and down day with my B.P yesterday maybe i didn’t drink enough.

It is a quiet. sunny Saturday morning in Melbourne and I am taking the time to sit and drink tea and have a proper catch up. Hello everyone!

Hi Thin, even though I haven’t been posting, I have missed your posts. And guess what, that loose pair of pyjama pants are falling down now. Last time of wearing them!

Hi Fishing Gran, I saw the documentary about the blood sugar diet and it was like a revved up 5:2.
    Cheers for all the fresh veggies!
    My daughter and I are going to make ‘Salad in jars’ today. We will make up a whole lot and have lunch for 4 or 5 (non fast) days.

Intesha congratulations on that 65.6. I rather like the way 5:2 takes us down to a new low weight and then (presuming we keep going with it) gives us a nice bit of wobble time to let it sink in and then it becomes the new normal.

Oh Pamie what nasty scales to add 2kg. So glad you can be philosphical.
    Best wishes for your Labour Weekend, New Zealanders!
    It is so hard to cook without tasting everything. Good luck today!

Joffy I am very like that with dinner. Watching the clock, watching the clock, wondering how I will wait… and then all of a sudden it is past time and I am having it late!

Yum, I love frittata, and yours looks delicious!

Protein and Low GI foods are the trick for filling you up and staying full for longer (I think that was Dr Mosley quoting research) and I do find it works for me.

EmmSee, what a wonderful relief to have so much less pain, and avoiding those operations.

I chuckled about variety on Fast Days though. I have the same thing every fast day and I love it! Different strokes for different folks! I have cuppas all day (most of them with milk in) and then a big bowl of miso soup containing chicken and greens, in the evening.

But I do my variety on the other days!

Hi Lael, best wishes for your fast day, and I hope you get some lovely rest on the weekend, time just for you.

Merry, I hope the family is all going well and that you have had so much peace you have been able to catch up with things. Could that be possible? Sending best wishes.

I am still working every minute (just about) on my project and set up a GoFundMe page. I am not so rude as to hassle anyone ;), but just in case you are a secret millionaire (or know one), and would love to help fund a wonderful community enterprise, search for my YamDaisy Cafe website and you will find the links.

Just a little bit more quiet time before I am back in the fray, and then minding my granddaughter this afternoon and overnight. Fast day tomorrow!
    Best wishes everyone!

Good Morning everyone, from wet morning here in coastal NSW,

Catching up on all the posts today! Waving to you all, my apologies for not being able to do individual message, but reading them all, and thinking of you all individually.. Looking forward to trying some new recipes soon too.

All isreasonably OK at the moment. (FIL is OK sort of – difficult person with mid-stage dementia, and new medical challenge is prompting a lead up to possible over the top rage again. With the news around Robin Williams Lewy Body dementia I’ve been wondering if there’s a bit of it in FIL but it’s not been mentioned by medicos.)

I had a funny situation on my Thurs FD with a surprise party – where it was a surprise for the guests! and very well catered. Normally, I would have planned to shift my FD to Friday, but it threw me because of the surprise nature, the special guest etc, and beautiful food, good company etc. – so I didn’t go stupid but did abort my FD in late afternoon. Then I felt guilty yesterday, because I’ve got this goal for mid month and the days are passing by. How ridiculous to feel guilty. I would have just shifted it, so why the guilt? Because of the surprise nature and not planned, and because I didn’t redo the FD yesterday because it was a full on day where I needed my body to not be doing a FD. My ME/CFS makes things a little different from the norm Ai think. It’s not as easy to keep busy, as most people do on a FD, and there are situations where I find fasting is inappropriate – where I know I am going to be pushing my energy envelope very close to it’s limit, but musn’t do an energy crash. So – yesterday was one of those – so FD was not the right thing to do. So…………doing my FD today and will probably shift MondayFD to Tuesday. I seem to need the 2days between FDs.

Catch up day around the house today – back to normality. Our food on 5:2 has become quite simple – fresh veggies, fresh small pieces of fruit, seafood fresh, frozen and canned, eggs and a bit of dairy, lean chicken, and small amounts of meat occasionally. There are still a few cans but they’re mostly canned fish and crushed tomatoes. I’ll go back to lentils, chickpeas etc on maintenance, but they seem to halt my weightloss too as well as starches, so I’ve had to give them a miss for my weight normalisation journey which is now 100 weeks long! Wow! When I add up the weight loss phases of it it,s not that long, but it’s my journey to normal that I am so grateful for despite the challenges. What a wonderful experience 5:2 has been and continues to be. I am so grateful, and so grateful for this forum and this thread of Southern Hemispherites especially!

Hugs to you all and thank for being here,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

I can

Good morning all, posters, readers, lurkers, oldies, newbies, how are you getting on?

Hi to the Sunday Fasters! I hope it’s a good one for you today.

Completed my substituted FD yesterday and 64.4kg this morning. I am sooooo ready to see a 63 come up on the scales! Down a little but not as much as I’d hoped. Having 2 extra nonFD days before my FD will have made a difference. Shifting Monday’s FD to Tuesday and Thursday’s to Friday this week, then I’m back on track for Mon to Thurs the following week. 3 1/2 weeks to go now to reach my goal of 62kgs and at this point I can see me at 63.0kgs but 62. 0kgs is beginning to look like a miracle. I am pleased, however, to have picked up on the FD that I broke because of the “surprise party”, that caught me so off guard.

I’m seeing a new phenomenon for me – a change in shape – getting a bit smaller – happening without the corresponding loss on the scales. My clothes are fitting looser, a favourite shirt has made it’s way to the “getting ready for the op-shop bag”, as have a few other thngs, so I think I’m now very solidly in the 64kg weight. Will have a read of a bit of the “When your clothes are looser but your weight stays the same ” thread. Even though I’ve lost nearly all my excess weight on this wonderful 5:2 way of life (WOL) this is a first for me. 5:2 is still throwing up secrets and good surprises😀

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Great reading your posts Merry! Like you, I too have to be careful about timing of fasting days. I also do better leaving a couple of NFDs between my FDs. Also like you, I have to be aware of my energy demands on FDs. The reason mine get changed around so often is because I look to the week ahead and have to shift things if I’m required to do things that take a lot of physical energy and/or social output. I’m best to do those on NFDs. …Reading about your change in shape is inspiring! This confirms what I’ve thought is that kilogram readings don’t always register positive change. You may be building lean muscle mass. Isn’t that an automatic by-product of 5:2 even if we don’t exercise?

Cinque, great also to read of the pajama bottoms that are now falling off! To me these changes are even better than anything I read on the scales!

I pulled out a favorite dress this week, one that I hadn’t worn since last century because it didn’t fit well or at all. I’d archived it in a spare wardrobe I rarely look into. On a lark I thought to pull it out of storage to see if I could get it over my head and down to my waist at least. Well, wonders of wonders it fit as well as the day I bought it in 1992! I wore it to class and received compliments! Woohoo! I’m glad I archived it. It’s a simple cotton dress I bought it in Hawaii and couldn’t bear to send it to the op shop! It’s a classic so is still in style.

Trying on clothes and seeing my figure in them in the mirror is one of my favorite aspects of 5:2!

I’m fasting on Tuesday this week so will be sharing the day with you Merry!

Hello fellow Southern Hemisphere folk – I’m in Melbourne Australia! Here is my story to date…….
    I only started intermittent fasting about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I t is working very well for me – probably the best system results-wise and feeling really good and not deprived.

I have tried a few different schedules to ease my way in and have settled on the ADF which includes a 24hr fast every second day. My NF days consist of 3 meals, usually a protein shake with blackberries, almond milk (unsweetened), protein powder, Greek yoghurt and some chia seeds – it delicious! Lunch is a large salad which includes 1/2 an avocado, bocconcini spinach and rocket leaves, toms, cucumber, grated carrot, capsicum and red onion. I top it with a tin of flavoured tuna (sirarcha a favourite at the moment!) and some toasted pinenuts. I make my own vinegrette dressing and add a bit of this. Dinner is usually a bowl of veggie soup (I make a big pot on the weekend and my daughter (adult) and I are happy to have that every night (with a nice sprinkle of parmesan cheese). After dinner I might have a handful of almonds for a bit of crunch factor. I also make some parmesan crisps to replace my chip/crisps addiction!
    After dinner and snacks there’s no more eating after 8pm at the latest. Next day is a fast day and I drink lots of green flavoured teas and water during the day. I don’t eat anything until dinner in the evening which is the soup and I might add some quinoa and chicken tenderloin for some protein. Again a handful of almonds as my after dinner snack. I probably don’t quite get to 24 hr as I eat dinner at around 6pm so is strictly about 22hr from the night before.
    A couple if times I have extended my fast and not had my dinner on FD and therefore made the fast into a 36 hr fast – feels great waking the next morning and can’t wait to jump on the scales ( and also to eat!).
    Yesterday which was a NF day ( following a 36 hr fast) I had 2 pieces of whole grain toast and 2 boiled eggs ( well mainly egg white – don’t like too much yolk) for breakfast, no lunch and then a bowl of spaghetti Bol followed by a bag of Grainwaves (175gm!!) and an orange – a bit of a binge I guess but it was good! It was almost 1900 calls for the day. I Ve decided to give myself a ‘cheat’ day once a week – I guess that was it!! I was also coming off a 36 hr fast so not feeling too guilty about it. Today I’m yet to get on the scales to assess the damage! Today (Sunday) is back to fast and I’ll have nothing other than tea/water until breakfast tomorrow. I like to follow my cheat day with a 36hr period.

To date I have lost about 4kg ( about 8.8lb I think). I’m 53 yrs, 157cm (5′ 1″) and my starting weight was about 69.5kg. I’m now around 64.5kg. I’d like to get to sub 60kg.
    By the way, I do no exercise – I’d rather focus my energies on eating right and yes to be honest I’m lazy like that!!

Love reading your stories with successes and set backs alike. Good we can all support each other “down under!”

Good morning,
    I jettisoned my usual Sunday Fast day yesterday as I was minding my granddaughter (so it wasn’t going to be my nice meditative Sunday Fast) and I made her the best pumpkin pikelets for breakfast, and I wanted some too!

So I am having a Monday fast day! Hello to anyone else having a Monday Fast Day!

Welcome Mumsy! You have a most impressive plan. I am glad to see the cheat day in there! Everything will work so much better if it is sustainable!

And the lovely thing about this Way Of Eating (capital letters because you will see people here talk about WOE) is that you can keep adjusting as you go so that it keeps suiting your life.

EmmSee I am glad you found the recipe thread. I kept thinking I must encourage you to put your recipes there, but it was always when I was away from the computer!

Lael, what a lovely favourite dress story! So lovely to read about it! Won’t Summer be a pleasure this year!

Merry I bet that 63 will show up soon. Isn’t it fascinating how the body changes. Secrets and good surprises indeed!

Best wishes to everyone on this new day!

Hello, dear Southern Hemispherites! I have been eating a bit at rqndom since my half melt down on Thursday.
    As you all said we live in real life and I just have to learn amd live with my ups and downs. I had a charity gala on Friday (that I couldn’t skip being the speaker), a fun run at kids school on Saturday and birthday parties in the arvo + a concert with dear hubby on Sunday night.

As you say Cinque it’s a WOE and a WOL and I’m realising it more everyday.
    So the scale did not punish me too much this morning, I must have been paying more attention to food than I thought or maybe I’m making better decisions even when raiding the pantry. Who knows.

So today Monday I’m having a FD although I woke up red in the face and so I know a flare of my lupus is geating up and by the look of it, it could be a bad one. First time since I started the 5:2 so it’s going to be a test week. Does it improve my condition and can I take it or will I be too tired to think about FD vs NFD?
    I also have a difficult day at work, talking to more staff about our financial difficulties.

Even not posting for 4 days I did read everything and I’m happy for dresses fitting, people being mindful of their energy level when needed-health first- and eating picklets with grandkids. What a wonderful bunch of people I found here. Thank you all! Have a great day! Hugs xx

Good Morning everyone,

Welcome mumsy , I think you will power your way to your goal weight!

Must be brief this a.m.
    Drum roll please………..63.9kgs. I do 16:8 on nonFDs and yesterday it was 1pm and decided to just keep going and see if any adverse symptoms popped up if I tried a back2back fast. None. Cinque and Lael, you’ll know how trepidacious that was, but wonder of wonders, nothing, nada, nyet. So, it was just sheer bloody-mindedness at not seeing the 3 number come up that made me try it. I think if I’d tried at the beginning when Ibwasn’t in as good condition it may have been different. But yay! for the first time I think I’m able to put a date on a goal and know it is a possibility. 63.9 is a new minigoal done.

NonFD today, but there are others Monday fasting Cinque,

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi eloelo,

Sending you a hug ( ). Life happens. We get past it, back on the horse, and whether he’s walking, trotting, or racing, we keep going.. Health first, but we keep going because if our body is compromised like some of us here, then having it at it’s normal weight gives us the best chance of dealing with our health situation. I’m convinced the freedom from guilt and stress of being overweight and not liking our overweight selves is. a very special freedom. Psychologically we are not only replacing negative feelings with good ones, but when we reach goal weight we know we won the battle as well. We know we can do this as a WOL, that it’s do -able, enjoyable, and we are in control.

Merry

Hi everyone love reading all your posts even found the recipes. doing a FD today. Thinking of you eloelo hope you feel ok.

Thank you for the welcome SHs!
    Eloelo, not sure if this has been mention on this forum before so excuse me if I’m repeating. There is a lot of research on the benefits of fasting and lupus and other autoimmune diseases. It’s interesting you have a flare up today after a busy long weekend. It’s is possible the combination of stress (just all the running sound) and extra eating could have exacerbated things. I hope the episode settles for you quickly.

Merry, congratulations on the ’63’ – looks so much better than 64, eh?? Oh those psychological boosts that keep us motivated! Hopefully I’ll get to see that soon.

Cinque, I understand where you are coming from in terms of finding something that is sustainable. It certainly makes sticking to a plan easier. I have a slightly different plan this time to budge to last 5kg or so. In the past when I have had the ‘slowly wins the
    race’ attitude, I found that pretty soon motivation dries up and it all seems to be taking too long with the costs out weighing the benefits. This time I have decided to go hard and fast. Hopefully I’ll get my results then move into a maintenance mode which will be something like X 1 24 hr and X 1 36 fast a week. I came off a 36 hr fast this morning and feel so empowered that I can manage this now – just 3 weeks ago I couldn’t imagine getting through an 18 hr fast! Of course I itially my body and appetite resisted somewhat but not anymore. I suddenly feel like I’m in charge now and not my hormones, appetite etc. in fact I’m having to force myself to eat today knowing I need to get the macros in and I don’t believe it’s due to my metabolism slowing but more to my ghrelin bursts have broken out of the habit of telling me I need to have 3 meals a days with snacks in between.

Merry! YaY!!! You’re there, in the 63 range with time to spare to consolidate into it further and 62 range just around the corner!!! Woohoo! I’m celebrating with you! Hey, will you still be fasting again tomorrow given you did that B2B experiment? 🙂 🙂 🙂

P.S. Go Mumsy! Sounds like you’ve got a good plan and that’s what I like about 5:2, is the flexibility to make it doable and you’ve worked out what works for you!

eloelochat, I love that 5:2 is so forgiving and that I can be human and still make progress! I’m so sorry to read of your lupus flare up. I have autoimmune Hashimoto’s thyroiditis so I know what immune system attacks are like! Hoping yours eases. Take care of yourself.

Its so great reading all of the posts. I’m sorry if I don’t reply to them all. Cinque, the salads in the jars sound great. What did you put in them? Will they keep for a few days in the fridge? Reread the BSD book and am really motivated. Having a meal replacement drink for breakfast because I’m not good with breakfast, just can’t be bothered but if I don’t have something its pick,pick,pick. Stocked up the fridge with salad veg etc so here goes. Have a great day everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,401 through 9,450 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.