Hello from the Southern Hemisphere, Considering the 5:2 diet

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Hello from the Southern Hemisphere, Considering the 5:2 diet

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I live in Adelaide and I’m wanting to start the 5:2 diet. Just need to take the first step. I have been overweight/obese for many years, and like most people in my situation have tried many diets. I’ve have struggled more in recent years since menopause started 4 years ago. My exercise was always walking and cycling, however, I now have osteoarthritis in my feet, which makes it almost impossible to do a lot of walking, other than normal daily activities. I joined the gym last year and for the most part enjoy the weight machines, nothing beats walking along the beach front or around the neighbourhood. If there is anyone who has been on the 5:2 plan and has osteoarthritis, and experienced improvement, I would like to hear from you.

Hi,

Losing weight will make a difference as your feet will be under a lot of stress from carrying those extra kilos around all the time.
    I have osteoarthritis and have previously had surgery on both feet and two surgeries on my knee.
    I was overweight for a long time and then became obese. Four years ago I had a permanently swollen and painful knee and could barely walk 200 metres without having to stop. I didn’t want to contemplate another surgery and it was a deciding factor in making a serious attempt to lose weight.
    I’ve lost nearly 30 kilos and my knee is much improved. It aches occasionally when the weather is very cold and damp but apart from that all is well.
    My feet used to get very painful and finding comfortable shoes was difficult but I’m now able to wear any style of footwear again including heels without any discomfort.

I do a lot of walking and have no problems with either my knee or my feet.

I’m not the only one whose joints have improved since losing weight and I’m sure that you’ll get more positive replies.

Don’t contemplate doing 5:2 get started, the only thing you have to lose is your excess weight 🙂

Hi Blossy,
    Welcome to the forum!
    I don’t have osteoarthritis but I hope that losing weight will help.
    I was nervous about starting, but just plan your first fast day as best you can, and then see how you go! It is just one day!

I don’t think of it as another diet, but as a longterm eating habit for good health. I hope you might find it is that too!

Here is the link to the the Hello Southern Hemispherites!! thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/219/#post-199149 It would be nice to see you there!

Hi Blossy62

I’m also in Adelaide and have been doing 5:2 for nearly 3 months. I don’t have osteoarthritis, I have rheumatoid arthritis and have similar limitations on the range of activities I can do. For me it isn’t fasting that helps my RA symptoms, but being lighter and as active as I can be does help reduce the inflammation levels in my joints. I’ve lost 8kg on 5:2 and that weight loss has definitely helped. My understanding is that the lighter you are, the less pressure you place on lower body joints such as knees and ankles – which can have an impact on pain levels.

If you scroll up to the search function and search for osteoarthritis you may find plenty of older forum discussions about it.

As Cinque said, please join us in the “Hello Southern Hemispherites!!” thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/219/#post-199149 I find it’s quite time consuming to check lots of forum threads, so I tend to keep up with just a couple. Most others on this site seem to be the same as there are a small number of threads (mainly country/region based) that get most of the traffic. I guess we are all time poor.

Thank you to all your replies, they are very inspirational. I will update when I reach my first milestone.

Hi team, sorry but my posts dropped out? Well back to the usual wet☔️ is a polite description for our long weekend. Even the Markets were 💨🌧💦⛈cancelled yesterday forcing me to walk home & drive to the stupid market instead😂.
    Anyhow we are set up for it here our home is flooded with natural light & I just baked vegetables & made veggie stock & pulses ready for the next few weeks.
    Today’s goal is sorting out a skipping rope from my husbands vast collection of rope, might as well try to exercise because my gym is only open during business days; it’s ladies only. I have to make a leap & join a normal gym, there is one close 2 min walk from my home. I was wide awake last night due to not being tired, so time to get on with resistance floor exercise today😅.
    It is amazing how much I have changed in the last 18 months- these wonderful people like Michael Moseley & Damien Gameau with the No Sugar film have saved my life 🌈.
    Will swap my fd to Wed Tues – may as well enjoy the luxury of food on this very soggy slow sprinkling rainy day🥙.
    Have an inspirational day & enjoy 😊.

Well after quite some time of non activity and ill health I am back on the 5-2 way of living. Since I last posted here I have broken my leg,torn a tendon in my shoulder and my back has constantly flared up. Oh for being old! Hence I have not done any significant amount of exercise in ages, weight has piled on! I got up this morning and thought! Bugger it, all this weight is compounding my health problems so I have to do something about it. I know I can do this and I must say that I find doing the fast days very easy,my main problem is that after about 6pm I pick and I also have a sweet craving.
    But I am determined to loose around 15 kilo to be back to a fit and happy me.
    So here we go. 😀

Hi Charlotte, welcome back. I bet you meant to post on the other thread that says ‘Southern hemisphere’! Do copy and paste so we can all see your post. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/337/#post-262894

But just in case you don’t, sending good wishes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.