Hello from New Zealand (another one!)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sharannenz 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi everybody. I’m on fast number 10 today, so smack bang in the middle of my 5th week. I actually did this last November/December after watching the Horizon documentary but made the mistake (for me, and me only!) of counting calories on my non-fast days. I felt apart over Christmas and only got myself psychologically prepared in July this year. I bought the book, did some thinking and am now happy with my decision to follow the fast diet. I appreciate the science and the debunking of some myths, particularly around the poorly defined “starvation mode”. I find myself filled with resolve and I’ve noticed some better food decisions on non-fast days of late – I choose to eat more leafy greens, drink more water, eat less rubbish, because I feel better when I do that. Oh, and I’m losing weight and my chronic low back pain is heaps better too. Peppa x

Hi Peppa,
    Was good to read about your experience on the 5:2 way of life. I’m just about to start my journey and as you and I are both Kiwi’s your post caught my eye. I am in my early 50’s and have been overweight for the last 9 years. Lost heaps of weight in my early 40’s and then just seemed to put it all back on again and then some. Finally gave up smoking five months ago but this has resulted in a weight gain of another 8kgs. Just getting depressed thinking about it but got no-one to blame except for myself and I’m the only one that can change the situation. Have been on all the fad diets under the sun and none have worked as they are too rigid. I usually can stick to something for a few days and if I see a result then can go longer but as soon as it stops working then it goes out the window. I like this 5:2 approach as I hate having to stick to anything and this seems to be made just for me. I am feeling very positive that this will work in my case and have just finished setting up a spread sheet with weight and measurements on it. Will be starting my 1st fast day tomorrow would appreciate any tips about how to approach this.

Hi both 🙂 its amazing how better I feel since starting this plan only 3 weeks ago! I have made changes since January which have been great – but doing the 5:2 has really made it all complete! Good luck to both of you 🙂

Best of luck to you both. There are lots of tips about on the forum and it’s been so long since I started I only really remember that not drinking enough water was probably my biggest mistake early on. Just work out what will work for you (carving up the calories over a fastday wise) and try not to weigh yourself constantly, as this is not a fad diet. You might lose weight quickly but you shouldn’t count on it. Take lots of measurements and give it a few weeks, you need to get used to fasting first, then you can tweak your pattern as necessary to help kick start further weight loss if necessary.

Thanks tickatape and TracyJ – I have found over the 5 weeks that I’ve changed what I’ve done to the point that I now do the same thing each fast day – nothing all day, then a particular dinner. I branched out last night and had a wee bit of sushi instead of my usual dinner. I’ve lost nearly 5kgs in 5 weeks, and I’m really happy with that – I haven’t felt deprived at all; I tend to keep myself busy on fast days though. Thanks for your comments – I appreciate them. And I’m excited to hear how sharrannenz got on on her first day!

Hi Peppa
    Yah survived the 1st day and was rather easy. Feel like im swimming in green tea though. Definitely helped doing a rather long day at work as didn’t have time to think about it at all. Will be doing the next fast day on Tuesday and looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.