Has anyone else…

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  leevee 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• …done really well on their fast days and then overeaten and exceeded their TDEE on the other days?

I only just started on Monday and have done brilliantly on my fast days (Monday and today) but the other days so far I’ve gone mad and eaten over 200 more calories each day than I should have. It’s almost like once I’m allowed to eat more normally I just can’t stop. I know this is probably going to stop me losing anything this first week but I just can’t help myself.

I’d welcome any suggestions or support.
    Karen

Hi Karen, do you find the fast days easy or difficult? If you find it easy to fit in your life you could try alternate day fasting.

Or think about incorporating some fitness to get rid of the extra 200 cal?

Yes! I have the same problem and posted about. Lots of good suggestions of things to try on this link: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/down-stall-up-up-up/#post-30973.

I am currently planning out what I will eat and saving some calories for a bedtime snack.

I think that’s what is stopping me losing any further weight, I have no problems on fasting day but apply no brakes on the other days. I don’t want to be thinking about ‘dieting’ – that’s most of the attraction of this lifestyle.

I’ve found fast days relatively easy – the hunger pangs come and go but I manage to get through them without eating ok. Going to bed early helps too. I don’t exercise as such but walk every day with my dog so that probably helps a little and gives me a few extra calories to play with.

Tomorrow is the start of the weekend and I’ve already logged what I’m expecting to eat/drink so here’s hoping I don’t weaken…

leevee –

Somehow we need to get over the idea we can ever eat all we want. If you have truly lost touch with what your body needs (as I have), caloric restrictions are the name of the game for the rest of my life.

I know, I know. . . . And I have lost lots already. Even though I’ve plateau-ed I’m still happy to carry on with 5:2. Maybe when it’s not so cold I won’t overeat so much. I find fast days easy.

Leevee:

I am pretty sure that the weather will improve in a couple of months — it typically does. Then you can do other things other than be trapped in your house. I live in the US in Texas and we do have some warmer days with the flowers budding and trees starting to leaf out.

At least you are not gaining.

Hi Karen, First al all sorry for my english. 🙂

If your diet its about 2000 Kcal, an increase in 200 kcal , its only a 10% so not a lot to worry about..

Karen, I’ve had this problem as well…which has been discouraging because I don’t have that much weight to lose. However, here’s what I’m experimenting with now: keeping my same 5:2 days but fasting dinner on about 3 of those 5 normal eating days. I actually discovered the 5:2 because I started fasting dinner on nights I had evening tennis matches & I didn’t like a full stomach while playing. No matter what I was eating during the day (keep in mind though I’m a vegetarian, healthy eater, & workout at least 5 days a week) I was still losing weight simply by fasting dinner. So I Googled fasting & found the book & this website. Anyway, I switched to the 5:2 & lost a few pounds…then gained it back over the holidays. Oh my! Anyway, I think I had somewhat better results just fasting dinner…but I’m now going to try a combination in hopes that it helps jump start my weight loss!

Hi mommabear, you will have to let me know how you get on. I haven’t much weight to lose either – only about 8 or 9 lbs before my holiday in June and I think the less you have to lose the harder it is.

I did fine on my fast yesterday, went to bed early again but today it’s a ‘normal’ day so I need to keep a close eye on what I’m eating. I’ve already logged my food for today and if I don’t go over I should hopefully pull back the calories I was over on earlier in the week.

Hi Karen, am just starting out too, just going into my 3rd week, have always been a binger, am like you in that I do overeat on non-fasting days too…

trying to not be hard on myself for it though, the overeating has always acted as some kind of self-comfort, if I add guilt to the equation it becomes a lot worse.

Decided that being patient with myself is the way to go…not going to be able to just put an immediate halt to a lifelong habit…this week on normal days I scoffed a load of chocolate brownies that were at work and generally attempting to sabotage any good work I might be doing by fasting…

Saying that I’m pretty confident that it’s going in the right direction, lost a little bit of weight but best of all I’ve had to go down a notch in my belt and my jeans are looser.

I think somewhere in some of us there is a horrible little gremlin who wants us to fail, the way I ate on Monday after a fasting day made that quite obvious to me…not going to throw in the towel and let it win though..

Don’t be too worried about not losing a big chunk of weight on your first week…I’ve only lost about 3lbs in 2 weeks, but I can really see a difference already!

Here’s a thread where this has been thoroughly discussed & ideas given:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/making-a-mess-of-non-fast-days/

I think you are spot-on LainyLain about not being hard on yourself and adding to the guilt. That’s the problem with most diets. I ask myself before I eat treats and extras on non-fast days; would I have eaten that before 5:2. Even if it’s chocolate brownies, if the answer is yes, then I tuck in. But I do try not to get out of control.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.