Going to start the Fast Diet soon don't understand the fast days – HELP PLS!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Going to start the Fast Diet soon don't understand the fast days – HELP PLS!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Clare07866 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi Everyone, going to start the fast diet soon but just don’t seem to be able to understand the concept of fasting for 36 hours (as found in the FAQ of the site) if we are meant to be having 500 calories on the fast days? I was reading a few other threads and it sounds like the best way people have benefited is from fasting for longer periods (e.g. not eating 3 small meals during the day to add upto 500 calories).

Can anyone please explain the best way to go about this.. I really want to lose weight and this lifestyle looking promising but I just need to understand it a bit better! Any help or suggestions will be great & much appreciated!!

THANKS 🙂

Hi rey and welcome:

There are different definitions of the word ‘fast’. The one 5:2 uses is ‘eat less’ rather than ‘eat nothing’. Also, 5:2 is not a quick weight loss diet as the name might imply.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Welcome reyrey!
    Be sure to check out the link simcoe posted. Lots of good info there to get you started.

As you read thru the threads here, you’ll discover that there are many different ways to approach 5:2. You can definitely experiment to find out what works best for you.

For me I have found doing my 2 fasting days on work days is the best. It helps keeping busy! So I fast on Mondays & Wednesdays. Sometimes I will throw in Friday as a third day (what people would call 4:3.)

The easiest thing for me is to skip breakfast & lunch on my Fast Day in order to save up my 500 calories to eat a fairly normal dinner with my husband. During the day I fill up my stomach with lots of calorie-free liquids (water, black decaf coffee, herbal teas.) If I get a bit headachy, I know I need more to drink & also add a bit of salt (hot mug of bullion or miso soup.)

Keep reading up & ask more questions when you need help. Many supportive people on these forums!
    Best wishes!
    Margo

Hi simcoeluv and thanks for your reply I will check that link out!
    I know that the 5:2 is not primarily for weight loss but from what I have heard it is a great way to go about losing weight – with the additional benefits of course. My mum is 50 and has difficulty exercising due to arthritis and other joint issues and she needs to lose weight for her health. She has a small frame so the excess weight is really taking its toll on her. She was recommended to try this diet because she has tried and failed at many other attempts to lose weight simply by eating ‘the right foods’. She doesn’t seem to be able to get past a week of good, super clean eating so thought if she tried this with the 2 days fasting, she won’t have to restrict herself so drastically always…if that makes sense!

Hi Margo thanks for your reply! I was thinking that would be a better way to go as well skipping breakfast & lunch – thinking I might take things like cucumbers and fruit (will check the calories first of course) just to keep on hand in case I cave in at work! How have you gone with your 5:2 experience? Have you lose much weight? What are some other benefits you have noticed? 🙂

Hi Reyrey – My Mum started the diet based on the advice from her doctor. He had lost a heap of weight on it and thought it might be one for her to try. They tried to get my Dad too, but he refused. He ended up losing about the same as Mum through smaller portions. She lost about 18kg in about 6 months and has kept it off for about 2 years. They have gone on a couple of overseas holidays since then too. I tried it back then and gave up after a few weeks, I have now lost about 15kg since December. Both of my brothers have given it a go, my eldest brother lost about 10kg, and my other brother doesn’t have weight to lose but fasts 1 day a week for health benefits.

We have all found water fasting to be the best. My Mum has tried lots of different variations and the only way she has found to lose weight is a complete 36 hour water fast. So only drink water, tea for 36 hours times 2 days a week. She eats very normally on the other 5, but has now reached a plateau. I do every other day fasting, so day 1 fast, day 2 non fast etc.

My advice would be for her to take small steps. I couldn’t do what I do if I haven’t of changed my habits first. Back in December I gave up Pepsi max, I stopped snacking, no eating after dinner and starting walking more. I had lost around 5kg or more when I got on the scale for the first time in March and decided to start 5:2. For the first month I was doing alternate day fasting, not really meaning too, but just giving myself leeway in case I wanted to eat for a couple of days in a row. I continued that in April and got into a rhythm. I still change up my days if needed, I am not super strict on myself.

I think you need to find out what works for you, and find something that you can stick too. First time around I was fasting, counting calories on non fast days and decided to throw in intensive exercising in the mix. Going from eating whatever, snacking and being a couch potato to that, was too much to quick which is why I quit. I felt deprived. I was exhausted. My mental attitude wasn’t there either (I wouldn’t have wanted to live with me, lol). This time around even fasting every second day doesn’t worry me. If I want chocolate I eat it. Just on my non fast days. I eat bread and pasta. Just on my non fast days. I don’t exercise if I don’t feel like it. I live on a farm, so have to feed the animals everyday and find at the moment that that is enough some days. On my fast days I get up with a positive attitude. I force myself to drink a lot throughout the day and I find drinking hot tea helps. I find I generally have a lot of energy on fast days, so will exercise a bit if I want to.

Anyway, this has turned into a novel. Maybe you can find something that I have written that might help, lol.

Good luck to you and/or your Mum 🙂

I think ETJ’s advice to fix bad habits in stages is a great idea!
    It’s easy enough to jump right into 5:2 just by picking your 2 days that work best for you to fast. The first couple may feel tough, but fasting honestly gets so much easier.

After my weekend of non-fasting days, eating out with husband & friends, I find I actually now look forward to my Monday fast. Gives my body a chance to “Rest, repair, relax & rebuild” … at least that’s my own little fast-day mantra!

After getting comfortable with fasting, I started tweaking other habits. Slowly, I cut out the junk. No snacking at all now. No breads, pasta, wheat (discovered I have a severe gluten sensitivity.) I will still eat the carbs of potatoes & rice on occasion though! I center my meals on whole fresh foods cooked from scratch. Nothing in packages or heavily processed.

Now I have so much extra energy that I enjoy exercising. I look forward to walking or jogging with my dog after work, and lifting weights with my husband at the gym. We ride bikes together or hike on the weekend too.

This is the easiest & most successful “diet” (much more a way of life) I’ve ever done. I’m sticking with it!
    Good luck to you on your journey too!

I started by skipping breakfast and having a small salad (just lettuce, peppers, cucumber) at lunch to keep me going and then an omelette or soup in an evening and after a couple of weeks when I realised I wouldn’t starve to death I started skipping lunch and only eating one meal in an evening.

I think the key is do what works for you and as you become more comfortable missing meals adjust what you are doing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.