Garden Foods

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nama 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hello
    I’ve been intermittent fasting for about a year and a half. I’ve been trying to adjust in way that fasting is long term lifestyle. One thing I’ve enjoyed last year was having a garden that pick some goodies from spring through fall that compliment my fasting. Picking 200-300 calories from the garden per day. Asparagus a favorite.

What Im interested in is hearing from other fasters that have gardens or plan to gardens. Also to share and garden recipes. I’m especially interested in stuffed vegetable recipes where I can stuff foods into vegetables like peppers, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed zucchini. Heck even potato skins stuffed with good stuff , for fast or feed days.

http://cdn.skinnyms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Stuffed-Sweet-Potatoes-Southwestern-Style.jpg

I’m estimating this stuffed sweet potato may be approximately 450 calories.

Hi SAMM

I didn’t realize you were a gardener too, you really are a man of many talents! I realize your life is pretty busy at present, but try to allow yourself even 5-10 mins a day in your veggie patch. I find gardening to be better than anything for calming the mind, I call it my “shrink”. I am sure you don’t need advice from me, you seem to work out solutions to all of your life challenges, but hopefully it helps a bit to know you are not alone at present.

I love to grow quick things like snow peas and lettuce. Also have pumpkins, zucchini, tomatoes, leeks and capsicums starting at present for our upcoming Summer in Aus. Also lots of fresh herbs and spring onions. Silver beet still going from last few months. I only just discovered sugar cane mulch last year, I am sure it somehow feeds too, the plants just love it. I am lucky that I am retired so have plenty of time and I actually get more pleasure from growing flowers! Maybe more a girl thing! I also love the idea of no chemicals on my veggies. I would love to grow fruit but birds make it very difficult, they laugh at me as they eat the figs off my tree. Have not had much success with netting, good nets too expensive! I have a lemon and an orange tree which are lovely. Also an old cumquat which fruits beautifully and make marmalade and chutney from those.

I have worked in paediatric oncology SAMM, so have some understanding of what you are going thru. Of course it is very different on a personal level, but what I have learned over the years is that loved ones get strength they could not have anticipated when they need it. Out of love I guess. Take care. x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.