Frustrated 5:2er

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  etherial 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi everyone, I’m about to have a bit of a moan and get the violins out…so look away now if you don’t want to hear a sob story!

I started 5:2 on 14th September and haven’t missed a week. At first I was steadily losing a pound a week and then it STOPPED. I’ve only lost 6 pounds in total and I’m starting to feel like giving up.

On a fast day I don’t have breakfast, a small lunch and the usually eggs/tomatoes/veg for dinner. My only explanation is that I am eating/drinking too much on fast days. I wanted to avoid calorie counting on non fast days but sounds like I might need to…

Oh and exercise. I’m a right lazy lump.

All tips welcome!!!

Hi there,

Some possible tips for you could be – What are you drinking? Is it only water and black tea or coffee? Are you drinking enough water? Have you thought about skipping breakfast and lunch and waiting until dinner?

Do you have much weight to lose? Maybe your body is having difficulties adjusting. Stick with it but perhaps mix it up a bit to give your body a little shock?

Have you considered 3 fast days for a few weeks to kick start again?

Sorry a lot of questions I know, but something to think about.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am drinking just water and black coffee. I am on a fast day today so I might try and skip breakfast and lunch and wait for dinner. Will also try three days this week.

I have quite a lot to lose as my BMI is just over 30.

Hiya yellowelephant, if you are doing this to lose weight then you kind of do have to pay some attention to calories (especially as you lose significant weight), you won’t be able to stick to the same pattern right until you’re down to your ideal weight (especially if exercise is a foreign concept).

Your individual TDEE will change as you lose weight, so you need to take that into account as you are losing. You don’t need to religiously count calories on your non-fastdays but it would be a good idea to have a rough idea what you’re taking in on your non-fastdays and make sure you are always roughly on or slightly under your current TDEE. You could then guarantee that you’d be down by a minimum of 2000 calories a week (or slightly more). That would equate to about 3.5-4 lb per month.

The good thing you’ve discovered is that you will be comfortable with maintaining your weight on this lifestyle once you get down to your ideal weight. You may have only lost 6lb but despite not counting calories at all you have managed to maintain rather than put any weight back on.

Hi Tracy

I think that is really good advice. I write down everything I eat on fast days so will do the same for non fast days for a few weeks – maybe not including Christmas Day…!

My TDEE is 1845 calories, so I will start counting on Friday!

Thanks again

Yellowelephant, do not despair! Look at the positive side you have lost weight!

I would like to echo Tracy’s comments. Write down everything you eat on non-fast days. If you have a phone you might be able to download an app such as myfitnesspal or LoseIt! which makes calorie counting much easier. You might be surprised to find that you might go over for your TDE on non fast days. There are so many little things with tons of calories that I was not aware off before downloading these apps! I.e. some little cookies have a huge amount of calories. The other day I ate a tintsy caramel sweetie nust to find out it had 40 calories.

Alternatively, you might consider doing 4:3 for a week or two to get things going again. The beauty off 4:3 is that you do not have to watch your calorie intake at all!

Anyhow I wish you luck and hope you stick to it.
    Stef.

Not going to add anything new, the others summed it up perfectly! Just wanted to wish you luck and add another voice to the “don’t despair!” choir!

Adding my voice to the “Don’t despair” chorus, yellowelephant. I’ve had a few up weeks in the six months I’ve followed the plan, meaning my weight went up a bit. They kinda bum you out at first. Now they just drive my resolve to continue. Good luck.

I just weighed this morning and was surprised I am up 1.5 lbs. I am pretty diligent with the program and wondered why I didn’t lose. I’m thinking it was the 2 pieces of roast chicken I had because after the soup, I was starving and needed sustenance. I should have loaded my soup with more mushrooms and peppers and I wouldn’t have been hungry a few hours later.

I did stop drinking wine on fast days. That was a nasty awakening the next day on the scale. All in all, I’ve lost 12 lbs. since March 2013.

I won’t give up and am trying to get back into my workouts. Take care.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.