Fast Day Calories for the Non Average

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Fast Day Calories for the Non Average

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  skyhacienda 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I just started 5:2 and did the recommended 500 calories for women on my first fast day. It was not too difficult.

But I am wondering, what if your starting weight/BMI etc are way above average? I used the calculating tools, and it says my TDEE would calculate my fast day calories a bit higher than the recommended average of 500 for women. Should be about 580 (ya Im fat 🙂 )

So, my questions is should I adjust my fast days, or just stay at the recommended 500 for those days?

Thanks for any guidance here
    Diane

Hi, Diane (dianehelen) – and welcome to this forum. Yes, you’re right: your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) represents the number of calories suggested to maintain your current level of activity each day at your current weight and one-quarter (25%) of that would be the maximum suggested calorie allowance for your fast days. The 500 calories is only based on Ms Average.
    However, once one has lost a significant amount of weight (say, every 7-14 pounds/ 3-6 kg perhaps, depending on just how much or how little one needs to lose overall) then the TDEE figure starts to reduce too and one’s appropriate intake probably needs to be re-calculated.
    Some people prefer not to calorie count at all on their non-fast days whereas others feel they do need to keep track of their overall weekly intake, at least until they become familiar with suitable portion sizes and food choices. I hope you find a good mode of operating for yourself and happily succeed at achieving all your goals. All best wishes.

Thank you for your clarification on TDEE, Jeanius. As I suspected you have to divide your TDEE by 25% to get your allowance for your fast days. In my case 500 is too many and I have to stick to 425 and make sure I don’t exceed 1700 on my feast days to get good results.
    I suspect that many people who don’t do the numbers and are disappointed with weight loss are petite like me and need to disregard the 500 calories recommended for Ms Average.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.