Fast and Furious

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Poca 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi everyone
    My story is the normal stuff about going from skinny to fat, trying every diet under the sun, lose some weight, put it back on, rinse and repeat…..

I stumbled upon Eat, Fast and Live Longer documentary and was fascinated. Not only for the weight loss possibility, but also for the health benefits. I’m a 51-year old woman and realize (like we all do at this age) how important being healthy is.

So, I decided to give 16:8 a try, started on 01/03 (a week ago). It was so easy and I loved it. I’ve decided to weigh only every two weeks, since I want to make it a way of life.

My excitement drove me to more research and I found 5:2, and I’ve decided to combine 5:2 with 16:8 for a couple of weeks – to give the weight loss a kick start.

Today is my first fast day – and so far so good. I think the week of 16:8 prepared my body for extended periods without food, and even though I’m hungry, I’m not too bothered by it.
    (I’ve decided to use the hunger pains as indication of new brain cell growth stimulation and also that my body is ready to burn the fat, so that helps!)

Anyways, I’ve decided to post here after reading through several of the threads and feel like I found a home. I don’t live in the UK, I’m a South African living in the USA, but I figured you guys won’t mind be jumping in here.

My starting stats:
    5″4 and 191lbs (yeah, I know, disgusting).

I’ll update every two weeks or maybe weekly if I can’t keep myself from weighing.

Good luck to me!

Welcome, congratulations and good luck to you! 🎉

Thanks!
    There is always some kind of initial excitement when starting something new (especially weight loss efforts), but this time I feel it’s different. This is easier. And it makes me excited to make it a way of life.

Having said that – yesterday I had my first fast day, all went well, I had my 500 (or maybe a little less) calories after 20 hours of fasting, and I actually didn’t want food as much as I thought I would.

Prior to joining here, I read a lot about intermittent fasting, the benefits and side effects. One of the things I’ve read, was that some people have sleep issues on fast days. I didn’t think it was gonna happen to me… went to bed at midnight last night, woke up refreshed and ready to go (at what I thought was 7am-ish, my normal waking time). Imagine my surprise when I looked at my phone and saw it was only 2:30 am. Well, it’s almost 7am now, I’ve been entertaining myself with games and more research on fasting – and I’m still alert and not tired.

I’ll add some melatonin to my evening routine next time, I’ve also ordered some magnesium to take to see if that helps. I’m curious to see how long this high will last and if I’m going to crash later today.

I asked my daughter to hide my scale until next week, lol – but I can’t wait to get on there to see what’s happening. I’m hoping for around 5lbs for the first two weeks (factoring in a lot of water weight thanks to NY weekend celebration in New York City).

Welcome, Poca! I recognise that sense of this time being “different” — sounds to me that you are very much in the right frame of mind for change. That positive attitude will keep you going well past the initial excitement and into the “way of life” phase.

When I first started, my sleep was also affected for a couple of weeks. On the plus side, I had never been so alert on a few hours sleep before! I did increase my salt, which I think helped, but I was also experimenting to find the right food plan for myself, which I did. Magnesium can definitely be helpful, especially if you are waking with leg cramps. Bottom line: it’s temporary. Your body will adjust.

Give yourself at least a month, paying attention to your progress. You’ll soon see what works for you.

No kidding on being alert on 2 – 3 hours of sleep, it’s unbelievable!! I can feel my body is tired, and I tried to go lay down to see if I can nap for a bit, but my mind was like ‘HECK, NO!’, so I got up and did another load of laundry before returning to my computer (I work from home a couple of days a week).

Glad to know it’s temporary, but you know, even if it lasts a couple of weeks, I’m ok with it. It’s been a while since I was able to wake up and well.. be awake. Usually I have to drag my sorry ass out of bed (even after 7 – 8 hours of sleep), but the last couple of days were truly so much different!! I woke up, opened my eyes and got out of bed. AWAKE.

Today is day 8 for me. I haven’t weighed yet, but there is a definite difference in my waist! Can’t wait for next week to see the difference on the scale.

Changes noticed so far:

Mental clarity – The fog has lifted, and I definitely experience a ‘calm’ mind. This might be due to me being ADHD (diagnosed years ago, but not taking any meds) and maybe now is the first time I feel ‘normal’. The constant anxious feeling of having to jump from one activity to another, has diminished. This is one of the main reasons I will probably never quit this way of living.

Acid reflux/heartburn – ok, this is gone, and probably mostly because of less wine and vodka, and not late night eating/drinking. It’s great!

Waking up – This is related to the mental clarity. For the longest time, when I wake up (even after 7 – 9 hours of sleep), I woke up groggy and can easily go back to sleep for another hour or two. Now, when I wake up, I’m AWAKE. I can’t remember when was the last time this happened.

Relationship with food – As everyone knows, cravings disappear. I don’t want to eat everything in sight, all the time. Also, I’ve noticed the day after my first fast day (yesterday) – I wasn’t hungry at all. I almost had to force myself to eat. I definitely didn’t eat enough yesterday, and will make sure today to get all my nutrients. Tomorrow is next fast day, and I want my body to be ready.

I hope everyone else is as happy and excited about this as I am! And thank you all for sharing your experiences on this board, I really enjoy reading through all the threads so much!

Second fast day today – I’m already making a list of the things I need to do around the house if I can’t sleep again tonight!

Go, Poca — turn that negative into a positive! Your house will look so clean. 😀

Well, turns out my body didn’t like the threat of housecleaning I threw out yesterday, and I had no issue sleeping, lol!

Two weeks have flown by. This way of eating is really making me feel so good. And apparently I’m losing weight too 😀

Starting weight: 191 lbs
    After two weeks: 185.6 lbs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.