Family & friends comments.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Family & friends comments.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Carla 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Hi,
    Does anyone else have a problem with being told they lost too much weight. I’m 5ft 5, so I think 10st is a good healthy weight for me, I still have half a stone to go to target, but in the past whenever I get under 10 and 1/2 stone people always tell me I’ve lost enough, could do with putting a little bit back on. I find this so frustrating and then I feel despondent and start eating again, I don’t want this to happen this time, I want to get to target, stay there and feel happy with my achievement.

Hi,
    Have you thought of measuring your waist size as a guide?
    There is a view that BMI is outmoded and that one should aim for just less than half your height.You might want to consider your body shape too.

Hi,
    Yes have measured my waist and need to lose a couple of inches to be half my height, but I seem to lose it from face and top half, need to tone up rest, I think because I have always been over weight they just not used to seeing me slim.

My suggestion is to only talk about your weight with family and friends who are supportive. I am 5’8″ and going for 145 pounds, IMHO, 5’5″ and 140 lbs is not underweight.

Redswallow,
    You may well be right.Do any of those that tell you that you have lost too much, have a lbs that they could lose?

Yes some of them have a few lbs to lose, others just seem to think they can say what they like and I won’t be offended. I’m no longer doing this to just look good, I want to be fit and healthy. For my height my weight can be anything from 8st 13 to 10st 10, so 10st suits me. The only person who knows I’m on diet this time is hubby, who really needs to lose a few stone for his health, thought it might spur him on seeing me lose weight but no joy yet lol.

My friend told me that if I lose much more weight I will weigh less than she does. If that’s not a motivator I don’t know what is! She is one of those people that when I said I was doing this said things like she couldn’t do it as she couldn’t starve herself and would miss eating whatever it was she ate. I said that it was only two days a week but she won’t have any of it.

Hi Redswallow – Yes, I have had worried looks from my dad especially but as you say, I think it is just because he’s never actually seen me look slim as an adult. I explained the 5:2 to him though and I explained how the loss will gradually taper off as I get close to my ‘ideal’ weight (whatever 5:2 decides that is) and then stop and I’ll go to a maintanance modal that works for me. I’ve also explained that according to all the calculators etc. my ‘ideal weight’ is 9st 3lb but I’m not aiming for that and I will be MORE than happy with 10st as long as it’s long-term sustainable.

I think it probably is a little bit of jealousy & ‘holding back’ from some people but mostly, especially with parents, it will be genuine concern because they’re not used to this strange looking version of you. I have a friend who has done really well and lost 5st, just on her own by eating sensibly for once and upping her exercise and her mum especially is just genuinely worried at the ‘disappearance’ of her ‘little girl’. I think she’s always treated her as a bit of a ‘little girl’ and that may have had a lot to do with the weight gain in the first place. Anyway, it’s difficult for my friend because her mum does go on about her weight loss whenever she meets up with her but at the end of the day she knows that she is NOT underweight and is much happier and healthier as she is. Her mum will get used to the new ‘woman’ eventually 😉

Thanks tracyj,
    You have made me realise that as long as I know I’m not underweight, and I feel happy and healthy that’s all that matters, I have to ignore the negative(“well intentioned”)comments and hopefully in time when I get to maintenance mode and things settle so will their attitudes.

Changing size and shape is a complex issue, and over the months I have come to realize that some peoples reaction is not always caring or supportive.No-one seemed to notice that I had lost any weight until I had lost 14 lb. I am 53 and have heard from one friend, who is the same age as me, that we just have to accept that putting on weight is part of getting older. She was curious when I pulled on white size 12 jeans in the summer and asked whether I had heard of the 5:2. When I explained that I had and that was how I had lost weight, she seemed a bit annoyed and then proceeded to tell me why it was dangerous to fast and all of the reasons why she couldn’t do it too.
    Another friend who has always been very overweight, looked me up and down, and told me that polka dots were very slimming! I simply pointed out the weight and inches that I had lost and left it that.She asked me afterwards about how I had done it and I explained and tried to encourage her too.
    By losing weight/changing size, we show that it can be done by others too…and they don’t always like that. Confidence changes and others find that challenging as well as threatening.I never mention it unless someone asks.
    The green eyed monster is alive and well.
    I have found that over time, they all just accept it. I never fast when we meet up for a meal together.I often eat cakes when we do. I remember replying with ‘how interesting’ when they told me why they couldn’t fast and left it at that.
    Keep going, see how you feel and look like as you reduce your weight/size.

wise words Annette. I’m not sure what gives anyone the right to tell someone else what they should or shouldn’t do and think. Food and our body shapes (egos) can be such a volatile subject Well we are in the right team right here!!!!
    Anyone seen a large uncomfortable person waddling about and had the urge to buy them the fast diet–sort of like a missionary urge, but of course we don’t tell others what to do! The govt could mandate the Fast Diet–it would empty out the hospitals.
    This coming week I have to do a presentation and thinking of what outfit will show off my new size 12 best, then no-one will be listening to me they will be lost in the thoughts of OMG what a babe (all 63 years old of me!!) Wish Carla’s black leathers were appropriate.

double happy,
    I suspect that Carla will be wearing her black leather trousers, but you find yourself something stunning for your presentation. Age is merely a number but a new size 12 is to be celebrated!Do you have to go shopping?

I am better now, but for ages wanted to stop people and tell them about the 5:2 when I was out and about.I just wanted them to feel better, fitter,happier, slimmer. It still feels a bit mean not sharing, but I imagine the reaction would be less than positive!

My overweight friend is perhaps bigger now than she was in the summer with sore knees and struggles to walk very far. My other friend complains about her lack of waist, but does nothing about it.It’s their decision, but mine also to make the change. Interestingly, my very slim friend has always been very supportive and telling me to buy smaller clothes as mine look silly/are falling down.

Double Happy and Annette…

~laughing~ Yes…you would think I would be LIVING in them. And Double Happy…Annette is right. Age is merely a number. I’m 53 with grandchildren! Your size twelve is a cause for celebration!!!!!!!!!!!! Find something wonderful to wear and enjoy the moment 🙂

(((hugs)))

I neither feel nor look 63 yahhh–there was talk among my team about who would be retiring in the next 5-6 years and my name was never mentioned, it was sad to see one colleague’s face drop because she was mentioned in dispatches and is only 55–pleased I hadnt been part of that conversation (but reckon I could take 10 years off her by the 5:2, new hair and a clothes make over oh and shoes too of course–can’t you just see me itching to go!!!
    Have just brought some basics in 12 to get me through to the end of our summer so will have a try on for the most enhancing. This time last year I would be abit of a wreck standing in front of the crowd–I don’t think the confidence just comes from dropped kgs it also comes from knowing we are in control of our eating and hence of our emotions–it’s that sense of well being.
    Carl I am getting black leathers for the winter for sure

Well…make sure you get a link up so we can see you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.