Excess belly fat – Cortisol? Stress?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Excess belly fat – Cortisol? Stress?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  atcgirl 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• If anyone has noticed any of my previous posts, you’ll no doubt have heard me complain about my belly before…

I’m a healthy weight currently, 5’4 and 8 stone 12, having lost 18 lbs on the 5:2. But I cannot shift my belly fat and love handles. The measurement around my belly button has hovered between 35 and 36 inches since day one of the diet. Because I’ve lost so much weight everywhere else I now have to wear maternity jeans!

Due to various health problems exercise other than walking is out, even brisk walking is too problematic and swimming is not an option either. I suspect this may be part of the problem but what I think is really causing this is too much cortisol.

I have a relatively high amount of little stresses in my life. Not enough to tip me over the edge, but it comes from a few different places (work/relatives/self expectations), doesn’t really stop and leaves me in a permanent state of anxiety. I’ve had a few bouts of medically treated depression in my life (stress related) but currently not diagnosed or treated with anything.

Anyone else having this issue?

I keep reading that cortisol causes fat to set up camp in the belly area and refuse to budge. But I can’t really work out if that’s visceral or subcutaneous fat…. I think I have a little of both if I’m honest.

Doing a bit of googling now. It appears that omega 3 supplementation can potentially help lower cortisol levels. Specifically ‘EPA’.

You clearly don’t need to lose more weight, just lose a little more tum. Reading your posts elsewhere, I wonder what you now eat generally? No refined fructose, eg agave syrup, orange juice?(It goes straight to the liver without raising blood sugar, so has a low GI rating but is the most insidiously dangerous of the sugar family). What form of carbs? You might find that using 5:2 and low carb (but not VLC) and medium fat all the time but eating well would gradually remove that visceral fat. You say you can’t do major exercise, but core exercise such as Pilates firms up tummy muscles and helps protect the back, also with a good teacher can lessen effects of things like a sway back and other posture issues. Worth a try?

Hi Apricot – this is my dilemma….. I don’t have a huge amount of muscle so I can probably afford to be at the lower end of the bmi scale than most, but I can see myself ending up too scrawny elsewhere and then with a huge belly. Weight loss is no longer the goal.

My chiropractor is getting me slowly doing gentle Pilates exercises. Having previously been super fit and with a strong core, I still have some semblance of muscle memory in that area and my posture isn’t too bad. But I can grab a handful of my spare tyre very easily so that isn’t posture.

I try and pay attention to the GI of my food and mostly during the week have no obvious sugar but higher fibre foods irritate my bowel so my carbohydrates tend to be more refined than they should be; I have white bread, pasta and rice. Also with a fussy other half and little time to plan food and shop properly, diet could be better, but it isn’t terrible. I have made more of an effort in recent weeks to avoid refined fructose and have probably a glass of orange juice once a fortnight. I’ll try and meal plan for less carbs.

I’m definitely going to research more about omega 3s though like I mentioned earlier…. We had veg and tuna steak this eve so that’s a good start!

Thanks for your advice

Have ordered some mahoosive fish oil tablets! Lots of EPA in them which is supposed to help with reducing cortisol. I’m expecting some major life changes in the next year which will hopefully reduce my daily stresses, just got to ride it out until then. Will try and overhaul out diet as much as I can, less carbs and also try and give up refined fructose completely. I don’t think I can give up booze though, I look forward to a glass of wine on a Friday and Saturday evening – plus with summer coming it’s bbq (read: pimms) season. But I only have about 2 drinks a week and will stick to water and sugar free tea the rest of the time. Will continue with the exercises from my chiropractor and will report back if I see a reduction in my waistline.

I did Pilates for a long time before it really paid off, as I do it rather intermittently at home, relying too much on the class. My Chiro also gave me some exercises and recommended going to a class as well. I try to do both…..! Try increasing the veg available and putting the carbs on your plate last. I found that when the plate was nearly full I’d just put a spoonful on, but if I started with the carb I’d put lots on, then top it with the rest, so carb was max..

That’s a useful trick about the carbs on the plate. Thanks 🙂

atcgirl, elevated cortisol goes hand in hand with reduced dopamine and seratonin….a factor in anxiety and depression. Have I mentioned the Fisher Wallace stimulator to you? I use it for insomnia, and I am off sleeping pills. It also works for anxiety and depression. You can read up on this device at fisherwallace.com. It has made a HUGE difference in my life. (I apologize if I have mentioned this to you before. I know I have told others about it and I can’t keep track.)

K-Lo you haven’t mentioned it to me before, thanks for the tip, I shall look it up.

Edit, just had a look. I really can’t afford it, especially if it doesn’t work for me. I’ve learned recently that a lot of serotonin is made in the gut and I’m hoping that the fish oil will help stimulate that. If I ever come into some money I’ll definitely take another look 🙂

Magnesium is very important with helping cortisol levels. I had this problem a couple of years ago.
    https://www.sott.net/article/276505-8-Ways-in-which-Magnesium-rescues-hormones

kozmokramer – I used to rub magnesium oil into my skin, but haven’t done it in a while…. I do have some epsom bath salts lying around, maybe I’ll treat myself to a few baths.

atcgirl, insurance covered my device. They also have a rental program, and a 100% guarantee return. THey are very flexible..if you call their 800 number. I also take magnesium at night. Helps for sleep.

K-Lo I’m in the UK, I don’t think we have these on the NHS 🙁

I used to find magnesium helpful a few years ago, then I stopped using it and don’t actually recall what it was helping because I didn’t experience a return of whatever symptoms it was helping!

Atc…got it. That’s too bad.

20.5 lbs and 9 months down and FINALLY! Measured around my belly button this morning: 34″. I’ve only been taking the fish oil 3 days so it can’t be that, I think it might just be that my body was just hanging onto the belly until the bitter end.

8 stone 9.5 pounds on the scales this morning, my goal weight is 8 stone 7 but to get this belly under the safe measurement for my height (32″) I might have to lose more than that. The bottom of the healthy bmi chart for me is 7 stone 12 and as I have such little muscle I reckon I can probably get away with another half a stone and it not affect my health.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.