Every other day FD

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  1Maureen 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Is anyone else following the FD plan every other day? I would like to hear of your experiences, tips, etc. I get full on food very quickly so think I would like to take this route. My problem in the past was saving all the room in my stomach for sweets and or/carbs. For some reason I can’t eat a lot of regular food, but had no problem eating 3-4 cookies or muffin for breakfast. Everything I ate was stored as fat and now I want to lose all that fat. I’ve got a handle on my sweets/carbs addiction and lost 5 pounds on my own, but now want to reach my goal weight and stay there! Wishing you ALL success on on your weight loss journey! Maureen

I do ADF. I have found that it falls into a nice rhythm once your body adjusts although the first few weeeks are a bit challenging. I eat just once on fast days. I find that 500 calories can be very satisfying and so this keeps me quite happy. I have taken to drinking lots of different teas and hot marmite throughout the day to keep hunger at bay as well as my usual black coffee in the morning.

I think it is important to eat enough on NFDs. The temptation is to cut down there too but that risks a lowering of your metabolic rate which is counter productive. I try to eat two good-sized healthy meals on non fast days, despite not being particularly hungry. I stay away from refined carbs and gluten as much as possible, although pasta has been a bit too tempting at times. But previously I was eating pasta and bread or tortillas every day so I have come a long way. I have written a lot about the details of what I am doing in various threads which you can read via my profile. I have sucessfully completed every fast every other day since Nov including over Christmas and am substantially smaller than I was to begin with. It really works:)) I hope you find it suits you.

Im planning to do ADF if I reach a plateau on 5:2. How much harder is it? Do you eat one small meal on FD?

I managed to cut down on sweets but I still have problems eating healthy foods. Pizza is my favorite.

Whether it is harder probably depends on you. I suspect I would find straight 5/2 much harder as it would be slower and not give me such a feeling of success and it would not feel such an integral part of my life. I am an all or nothing sort of person. The fast days would be harder for me if they were standing alone rather than part of a pattern. I don’t want fast days to be flexible and put offable. I want them to be just the way it is so I don’t wander off track.

The meal on the fast day is the same as for 5/2. But on non fast days you don’t have to worry about limiting what you eat to TDEE, although I try to keep to it as much to make sure that I eat enough as to avoid eating too much. My appetite is so much more sensible than it was before.

Thank you so much for your reply. I saw that you struggle with both fibromyalgia and arthritis. My heart goes out to you, because my Mother had both those things too. I know the pain you have been in and applaud you for continuing on with ADF and exercise. I’m from the U.S. and don’t know how much you have lost in pounds since starting ADF. Would you mind sharing that with us? I’m an all or nothing gal myself and want to see RESULTS to keep me motivated and make it to the finish line of my weight loss journey. This is a new life change for me, not a diet. I want to maintain my goal weight for the rest of my life. Regular food doesn’t interest me that much (only sweets & carbs) so I liked my FD day yesterday when I only had to eat 500 calories. I ate my first meal at 11 AM and my last meal at 5:30 PM. I was not hungry at all. I don’t drink coffee or tea so just kept drinking water all day long and lost another pound when I got on the scale this morning.

Most people like to spread out their 500 calories for the day. I’m retired so I have my first meal at 11 AM and second meal at 5:30 PM. For my late breakfast yesterday I ate oatmeal and 2 pcs. of bacon for a total of 210 calories. My second meal at 5:30 were some slices of thin ham, one slice of Swiss cheese and (1) Atkins chocolate bar for a total of 260 calories. I drank water throughout the day and was not hungry at all!! I exercised by walking my dog around a park that is about 1 mile. I lost another pound this morning after my FD yesterday. But everybody is different and you have to figure out what will work best for you. You might be better figuring in a snack for your FD day to get you through, drink tea, etc. I HAVE to have some sort of treat in my day so I figured that in for part of my 500 calorie allotment. But what I had was a no sugar, 2 net carbs treat. Having a protein with a fat at your meals will keep you satisfied and feeling full, as well as drinking plenty of water too! I didn’t eat vegetables or a fruit, but did take a supplement that gives me the vitamins of 2 fruits and 2 vegetables. Everybody’s story is different so find what works for YOU!

If I were to have a snack it would make me much hungrier. As you say we need to find what works for us.

I am not actually sure how much I have lost in total as we didn’t have working scales to begin with. I have lost around 15lbs in the month since I got them working so I would guess at least that much again in the six weeks prior if not more.

I think that my having developed ways to distract myself from the pain has actually made me able to ignore hunger more easily than I would have done before. As they say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…

fatrabbit, Your weight loss has been amazing! You should be so proud of yourself. I have come to realize that it is not willpower that is lacking in most people, but CONSISTENCY! I can do ANYTHING for awhile, but once I lose interest in something or don’t show results I was looking for…put a fork in me, I’M DONE! Losing weight is as much of head thing as it is a body thing. Not seeing the numbers go down on the scale when we are doing everything right can really play with our heads. We need to have some tricks up our sleeves for those times. Things like reminding ourselves that we may not have lost weight, but may have lost inches instead. We can always console ourselves with the fact that we are eating so much healthier now, cravings are gone and we don’t feel hungry! Writing these things more for me and the others that might read this, because you continue to be successful on your weight loss journey. Way to go!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.