Endurance and Fasting

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Hello,

i am an amateur cyclist and usually ride around 15/20 hours a week. In the beginning of this year i initiated a fasting way of life, fasting every day from 8 p.m. to midday. As I ride in the mornings, I was instructed to use 10g of BCAA powder before and after cycling and to begin the day with a strong coffee with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil and want to share my experience and try to find others who are doing fasting in the same “athletic” way rs. So far, I am feeling great during the rides and in the long one’s (around 4 hours riding strong) I feel even better, postponing the muscular fatigue and feeling more alert. Is there anybody out there with similar experiences?

I sometimes ride in a fasted state. As long as youre not trying to set PBs while riding its not a problem. I can easily ride at 90-95% of my PB if the ride is about an hour in duration. Riding in the morning your glycogen levels will be about 70-80% topped up due to gluconeogenesis which happens while you sleep. About an hour before you wake your body will produce a glucose spike in readiness for the start of the day. The dawn effect.

I usually go for 2 hour rides on the weekend. Would love to go for longer rides but life and family get in the way.

Not sure youd be getting into ketosis after 16 hours? If youre doing a ketotic diet then yeah no problems. Usually takes me about 24 hours to get into ketosis when fasting. Chris Froome trains in a ketotic state. Doesn’t seem to have hurt his performance.

Personally Id rather eat real foods to get my protein fix. But each to their own. Good luck with it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.