Emergency help needed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• im gaining wieght like a tank driving over bread walls im 17 and near 20 stone i used to be 16 stone when i was 16 thats a giant leap in wieght i cant loose wieght beacuse im addicted to coca cola pepsi etc and i dont know what kinds of foods to eat
    can anyone give me good stuff to eat and what not il try to give up coke but the only times it works if i have a diet with it please help me its embarrasing in college its holding my studios back in english im too embarrased to speak 🙁

Well the first step is to recognize that you have a problem and want to fix it so well done you!

Start by signing up to “myfitnesspal” ap. It is free and easy to use and lets you work out how many calories in the food you eat. You then need to be honest with yourself (and I find that hard) about what you eat. You need to measure the volume of your normal cup so when you record a glass of coke you are recording the right number of ml and not guessing!

If you drink a lot of cola then you likely have both a caffeine and sugar addiction. These aren’t easy to kick (I have a coffee problem!) Start by swapping out half your cola with water or herbal tea or sugar free squash. I’d not recommend trading for diet cola – just swap for something different. In a week or so swap out half of your remaining cola – so you are now down to a quarter of the original. After 3 weeks quit it altogether.

Food that is lower in calories is:
    Veg, fruit, low fat protein such as fish / chicken. If you can make sure every meal you eat is 75% vegetable then you’ll be cutting back on your calories massively.

Ditch the snacks or swap them for rice cakes / fruit / veg / low fat cuppa soup etc..

A low cal hot chocolate in the evening is a sweet treat that won’t pile on too many pounds.

Best of luck!

I was addicted to cola as well as a teenager. On discovering that there were about 6 teaspoons of sugar in every can (I was drinking between 3 and 6 cans a day), I cut it out all together (cold turkey). After 3 weeks I tried some, and thought it tasted disgusting. A few years later, I started drinking diet coke, and now love the taste. Would never go back to the full sugar stuff.
    Depending how much you drink, if you are properly addicted to the caffeine, Cath is probably right, and you may be better to cut it down before quitting altogether. It was 25 years ago that I cut it out, and advice has changed!
    I definitely agree with everything else Cath said. Also worth looking on the British heart foundation website and NHS choices as they both give excellent dietary advice.
    Good luck!

farhan,
    Do you live at home? Is it possible for you to talk to your parents about this and ask them to help you?
    If you don’t feel able to do that, is there a welfare officer at your college, or a nurse?
    If so, make an appointment to see them and they should be able to either give you some help and support, or put you in touch with someone who can.
    There is nothing to be embarassed about. As Cath says, you’ve recognised that you have a problem and you want to deal with it.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution. Please let us know how you get on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.