Dry chapped lips ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PhilPlasma 9 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anyone else suffering from dry chapped, sore lips? It’s not due to the weather as it’s been fine.

I’ve been fasting 6 weeks, lost 19lbs. Last week I started with chapped lips, came on overnight. I tried everything on them. Obviously dehydration is a factor, I did 3 fast days last week. Mon/Wed/Fri. This started Sunday and I did have alcohol Saturday. I am pretty good at drinking soda water all day though so I’m surprised that would be the cause. My friend (a GP) said possibly a lack of Vit E?

They are getting better now but only because I resorted to cold sore cream for several days, but they are still 3/4 days from being normal. I’m constantly using Vaseline pots, not thick chap sticks as they are not actually the best. Since lips can’t take in moisture it’s just for a barrier to keep moisture in. I’ve been cold on fast days too, maybe I should get the multi vits I keep forgetting to pick up. I eat a lot of veg and fruit on none fast days.

Any ideas?

Jaye

Hi Jaye, yes, Ive had inflamed,chapped lips. Started this week and until I read your post I didn’t think it was related to the diet. Im just using chap stick. No idea why this happens but would be interested to know if anyone else knows why
    Edie

Hi Jaye, me too thought it was a bit odd but hadn’t connected it to the diet I spend a lot of time outside so am used too using Vaseline on my lips but never this time of year , hopefully someone will explain?

Hi ladies, well it’s caused by dehydration! And the only thing that got rid of it once it set in was Blistex for dry chapped lips and occasional cold sores, not the cold sore one. After about 10 days that healed them up in 2!! I was using my usual Vaseline constantly, of course you can’t ‘add’ moisture to your lips so it wasn’t helping. That’s more a deterrent for the weather. I read several places not to use a ‘waxy stick’ once chapped. Plus drinking lots but the water alone didn’t help it heal much. I’ve not had it since but I have had a bug and a virus back to back lol. I’ve started taking multivitamins now so hopefully that will help. Get the Blistex it starts working right away. It’s a little tingly but excellent.

Thanks JayeGirl for the tips: Blistex, multivits and rehydration. Tingly sounds good 🙂

I use Burts Beeswax Lip Balm on my lips and have also noticed that they have been getting dryer since I started the 5:2. The BB stuff I use works really well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.