Does it work?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  EnglishButton 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi,

I think a lot of people question, does this 5:2 diet actually work. Yes is the answer. I hadn’t heard of it until my friend recommended it as I had tried everything else and I was still loving my food. I weighed, at my heaviest. 22 stone. I started the 5:2, eggs (2) on dry toast (2) was my 500 calories, and after fasting all day – that has NEVER tasted so amazing. I felt I was eating a Takeaway Chinese.

I did 30 minutes of running/fast walking everyday, and was sensible, but not all the time on the days I could eat. I lost 8 stones on this diet. Do you really have to contemplate starting this? No. Do it. It works. I have recently had a baby, he’s now just over 3 months. I gained two stones since being pregnant and having him. I have just started back on it and I have never felt more alive, less tired.

If you’re in any doubt, this truly does work, if you’re serious about losing weight. Remember, I went from 22 stones to 14 stones. I tried every diet, Weight Watchers, Slimming World, but this gives you the flexibility of eating everything you love and still lose weight.

Good luck.

Kara

Hi Kara,

great to read your story! I am myself on this regime for 4 years and I have done it for 3 years for the cell-protecting and weight maintenance reason, and am doing 6:1 since then. I did 5:2 for around a year and then swapped and can confirm the weight maintenance aspect of it as well – it works!

I wanted to ask on the behalf of a friend who is going on the 5:2 regime. Of course results will vary from person to person, but how long time did it take for you to lose those 8 stones (amazing result, well done!). I am telling my friend to give this time and be patient as it is healthier to lose weight gradually over time, even if one wants quick results. Thanks!

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Glad to see you’re getting benefits from doing it. I am tempted to do 3:4 but that is drastic and I’d rather lose it gradually as it does truly stay off.

It took me 2 years. I hate saying to anyone. ‘I lost 8 stone in two years’ cos anyone who wants to lose weight wants quick results but it doesn’t happen. Two years isn’t a lot as it’s a diet that works.

I really hope your friend agrees to give it a go. They won’t regret it. Not only weight loss/maintenance but as you said, health benefits.

Take care,

Kara

Hi EnglishButton and Tobias! I’m a newbie and I loved reading your posts! Thanks for telling it like it is!

Hi Lael,

That’s the problem. I was one of those people that thought, I’ve been on my diet a week, why aren’t I thinner? Reality is. No diet gives you results you want in a week, nor do you get the results in months. It takes time and you have to be in the right headspace or you won’t want to carry on.

Hope you’re well.

Kara

Hello everyone! Kara Tobias and Lael!

I loved the posts of you also share your ideas.

I’m from Brazil, and started losing weight with Lowcarb, and fasting have happened naturally, when I discovered this forum identified with this way of feeding already lost 25 kg (4 stones) with 5: 2 were 6 kg (1 stone ), but I realize that is quite sustainable for me.

Sorry for the bad grammar, I write in Google translator, I hope to be understood.

Hugs!

Hi Anaide,

Your English was good. I think that’s the idea. It’s sustainable which is why it works so well.

Well done with your loss.

Kara

Hi Kara, Yes I agree about the head space and how important that is in this equation! For example, over the past 9 days, which included 2 x FDs, I only shed 100 grams! Had I just seen that alone, I would think that nothing is really happening! Thankfully, I have a scale which also monitors fat, hydration and muscle mass, maybe not as accurate as other tools such as DEXA or Bodpod, though at least I can track the trend. Though I only shed 100 grams, I was thrilled to see these results:

13 July:
    62.3 kg
    28.2 fat
    32.9 muscle
    49.7 Water/hydration

22 July:
    62.2 kg
    28.0 fat
    33.0 muscle
    49.9 Water/hydration

I’m especially happy about the increase in water since I’ve had issues with dehydration due to low adrenal hormones that regulate body fluids. Many have issues with too much water weight. I had the opposite problem. Seeing this trend underscores the fact that this program promotes healing under the surface even when we might otherwise conclude that nothing is really happening.

That is fabulous. Well done. Its good to be able to monitor everything as no weight loss or minimal is very discouraging; I think people, (me included before now) weigh themselves too often, and didn’t see the results so gave up, but monthly is best I find as hormones change our bodies.

I guess, if anything, we would say to new starters.

Stick at it. Weigh two weekly or monthly. Positive attitude. Don’t find excuses – it’ll definitely work.

I’ve just completed two FD’s, back to back. Keeping busy on these days with plenty of water is key as it can be a struggle, some FD’s are easier than others.

For those who wants to lose 8 st and thinks that it is too long to spend 2 years on it:
    consider what is better-
    Start this diet, and after two years be 8 stones lighter, or
    Don’t start this diet, and after the same two years still looking for information how to lose the weight. 🙂

Well done everybody losing! It does not matter how long does it takes, what is matter that we change the way we think, feel about food. We change our habits for better, we are healthier today than an year ago!
    We know it works!

Started from January, lost already 24 lb, 18-20 lb to go. I am in absolute delight that I found that forum. Very helpful.

Coldpizza-what you say is so true! It’s taken me a little more than a year to lose 40 pounds. It came off as slowly as it could…but it came OFF. I still have another 15 or so that I would like to lose but it will happen; not as quickly as I would like to to…but it will come off.

I remember all of that frustration and anger about it coming off so slowly but I look at myself now and I am starting to become pleased with the way I look.

Hang in there!

It does take an age but with this diet. It stays off which is why I say ‘keep at it’. You’ll get the results permanently.

Well done everyone. An inspiration to others and yourselves.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.