Discouraging Advice

This topic contains 45 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)

• Hi everyone,

I’m feeling a bit lost and hoping to have some advice/encouragement from you all ..
    Being very overweight in my early 20’s with a significant family history of lifestyle related disease and cancer, I’ve tried on many occasions to get my weight under control only to fail and pile on a few more kilos each time (tried many programs from gyms, weight watcher-type programs etc). HOWEVER I was very encouraged by the documentary by Mike Mosley -Eat, Fast, Live longer and was inspired by his results and decided to give this a go.

Only problem is, whenever I have attempted to tell anyone about it, I haven’t had much support at all. People, including doctors, work colleagues and friends have been telling me this is “just another fad”, that “there’s no concrete evidence” and that I should just be keeping to a calorie-reduced diet instead. This drives me crazy because I’ve tried reducing calories (I’ve cut down to 1300 a day for weeks at a time) and cutting down food groups as per professional advice and none of it has been managable long term. Its also taken a huge psychological toll doing the “calorie reduced diet” as I’m Italian and food has a big cultural significance to me. I generally eat well, I just eat too much of it too often. As well as eating too much home made pasta!

Just wanting to know if anyone is in the same boat and what you have done to move past the comments of health professionals and friends discouraging me to give the Fast Diet a red hot go.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Ashley
    Just ignore them. I have been also overweight since my early 20s (and I’m now 63), tried everything and the calories and deprivations are just too hard. I am not willing to give up wine, cheese and that piece of Lindt!
    Have a look at the topic: Personal Trainer doesn’t like 5:2 MOE
    I am lucky in that my doctor thinks it’s a terrific concept.
    I started in February weighing 90.8kg, now 73. Cholesterol and lipids have dropped dramatically, as has my waist by 23cm.
    The good thing is that you can just do it without affecting your general lifestyle, if a particular fast day isn’t convenient one week just change the day.
    I now tend to do 1 40 hour fast (water only, but I know that doesn’t suit some people, for me it’s easier not to tempt my tastebuds at all) and on 4 other days have only dinner, then eat normally at the weekends. I am still losing weight (but more slowly now) and have another 5kg to go, I either swim 4km or use the crosstrainer for 1 hour 6 mornings a week.
    1 encouraging thing I have found (but some others on the various topics wouldn’t agree) is that I now eat less on normal days, I really am not as hungry (or greedy) as before.
    Just do it, don’t bother to tell people until they start to get amazed! Good luck

t had my annual physical and discussed the 5:2 diet with my doc. She also thinks it’s a great idea (as I’d lost 16 lbs since mid-August – yay!). She said she was going to recommend it for her patients that were struggling with other types of diets. I’m still amazed at how easy it has been. I’m now down 20 lbs.and this has definitely become a lifestyle for me. I’m so excited that it works! So just ignore the naysayers. As my doc said, fasting is good for you! Good luck.

Just don’t tell anyone,
    I decided not to now as people already think I’m skinny and they laugh at me which is humiliating.
    I’m focusing on other health benefits and I don’t think people really understand these. They hear the word fasting or diet and assume it’s another fad or your going to waste away or faint from hunger.
    Good luck
    Z 🙂

Hey Ashley, I think that when you start losing weight and feeling better people will see that and it might change their mind. Even a doctor can’t say something is unhealthy if it’s making you healthier, right?
    I do understand the importance of support though, so you could just hang around here from time to time (or all the time 😉 ) and read through posts for inspiration or ask us for a bit of motivation when you’re having a bad day. It’s all good, we’ve all been there and we all believe in the magic of fasting.

A good way of getting some great motivation is by simply tracking your results somewhere or keeping a journal type thing so we can read along and tell you how awesome your are!

Hi, Ashley150, as an overweight 65 yr old male I have had similar comments from people who should know better. My health nurse was sarcastic with a dismissive “Fad diet” while my new Doctor was non committal. Since Jan my best weight loss was 23 lb but because of “self inflicted injuries” ie “weekend binging” I am on a yo-yo phase but have still lost around 12-16 lb. Most at work are very supportive. One of my co – workers is very supportive in what I see as a very sarcastic way. He sits in front of me at work while he eats his lunch of two mince pies followed by a large wedge of cake, slurping his lips. I sit and eat my fruit and have no problems with it because I recognise it for what it is.
    I basically need to “eat normally” on non fast days which is what most of us need to do and weight will drop off again. Distraction is my main tool to stick to 5:2 so I feel for you. Stick at it. It is your body and health. I wonder how many of your distractors are overweight, just like my sarcastic health worker.
    Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Wow what great responses! Thank all so much for your advice and kind words. It’s so encouraging to hear success stories from people who have the same issues as I do.

Vicki: I totally agree with you. I think I would go mad without an occasional wine and cheese evening! Your results sound fantastic!

r1regina: It’s really great to hear there’s at least some doctors that support this!

zec4peach: I think I’m certainly going to follow that advice and keep this to myself for a while,

Until like you said: Nika, the results will speak for themselves and then I’ll be proud to let people know how I did it and won’t care about their comments anymore. And I really appreciate your gesture, I think I will definitely be frequenting these pages from now on. It’s really nice to have others to talk to that understand and can help eachother through.

Couscous: It’s unfortunate that you’ve been through the same thing as me. Interestingly though, all the negativity I have received have been from very slim, healthy looking people who seem to have no issues with controlling their food intake and exercising.. Just wish people could understand that it’s not always easy for some of us!

But I will continue on! I have started eating better this week, keeping around the recommended cals suggested by this site’s calculator and my first fast is tomorrow!

Like others have said….just try and prove them wrong.

Keep us updated of course with your progress though !!! We want to know, even if they don’t

So what are your fast days this week?

Hi dumpling, and thank you very much!

I certainly will 🙂 My fasting days this week will be tomorrow (Wednesday) and Saturday. Mainly because these are the easier days of the week for me in terms of work and temptation!

Haha yeah screw them (pardon my French), we’re you’re support team now.

I’m having a fast day Wednesday , we will do it together!

Haha sounds good Nika!

Awesome dumpling, I’ll give it a go and I’ll report back 😉

Take tape measurements and weight/ scales tomorrow morning.
    Record it somewhere and watch yourself shrink….

Hi Ashley – I truly agree with the above. I have needed to shed 3 stones + for some time, but my ‘push’ into the 5:2 has been working towards a hip replacement op in January. My doc has said every 1lb lost will help with recovery and rehab.

Have to say that I was pretty desperate to lose weight anyway as nice clothes no longer fitted me and as a 51 year old menopausal-ish woman I was starting to feel frumpy and old! Within a 3 month period I was told by 3 separate doctors that losing weight would be a good idea – one was the hip doc, another a neurologist reviewing crumbling discs in my back and the third my GP when I asked about menopause symptoms!!

I have found that almost everyone I have told has been negative and dismissed my choice to do the 5:2. The main comments are that it is unhealthy to starve myself (which I don’t), that I must have 3 meals a day to be healthy (which is rubbish) and that I should eat ‘little and often’ but avoid carbs at all costs (again rubbish).

I have never advocated cutting out any food group and I think all of us failed dieters know that being ultra controlling – by whatever system is used – is just not sustainable in the long term. The 5:2 is flexible, costs nothing, puts you in control, is sustainable and above all it works.

But I do think that as changes occur and people notice that you are shrinking then attitudes do change. People are just about starting to notice now that I have lost 17lb. I don’t mention fasting when asked ‘how’ – I just say I restrict calories on 2 days a week. I am letting the results speak for themselves.

As has been said – use your fellow forum-ites as support – and good luck 🙂

Hi cathyork: I totally agree with you, and congrats on the 17lb!!

Update:

Had my first fast day yesterday, and it went ok! I must admit, I struggled a bit at first but a tip I read on another post saved me -a teaspoon of peanut butter to help cravings!

Weighed myself this morning and had lost a whole kilo! Obviously some of this would have gone back on over the day (as I’ve eaten pretty well today!) but I’m still really glad to see the change.

My next fast is in 2 days -hopefully I can get better at this as I go and get lasting results!!

Hi Ashley that’s a good result so far, keep going and don’t tell anyone what diet you are on until the pounds start dropping off 🙂
    I just say I’m cutting down on the junk food!
    Keep posting on here and you will get lots of support 🙂

Not hopefully… you WILL get better at this. And if you do it right you WILL get lasting results! So just hang in there and get through those first couple of fast days, after which it’ll just get easier.

Ashley, it gets easier once your body learns that there is nothing to panic about!

And there is heaps of evidence that low fat, calorie restricted diets don’t work, and in fact lead to long term weight gain. And that is exactly what you have experienced, is it not?

For a beautifully constructed explanation, (with lots of solid scientific support), of how we get fat, and how we can get healthy, you need to watch Dr Jason Fung’s Youtube videos ‘The Aetilogy of Obesity’. Six ninety minute videos, but by the end you will understand how you got overweight, and how fasting (and a few other changes) will save you from what your family have suffered.

Thanks so much mitches66 and Nika!

It still blows me away how wonderful and supportive everyone is here!

Out of interest… what do you guys have for breakfast after a fast day? I was invited out for breakfast this morning with some friends and I couldn’t help myself but order waffles which were AMAZINGLY yum but probably not the best idea after a fast?

All comments/suggestions welcome!

Hi Ruthi,

You’re exactly right, low cal/low fat diets did not work for me at all.. The weightloss was slow and I put it all back on (and then some)once it was over.

Thank you for the suggested video! I will watch 🙂

Ashley the odd waffle should be fine but don’t go overboard.
    If you are going out for breakfast try and stick to eggs and protein and not too much orange juice as its full of sugar!
    On non fast days I have yogurt and fruit, granola and fruit, or porridge, along with water and a black coffee.
    At the weekends I might have wholemeal toast, a croissant or a cooked breakfast of egg, sausage and bacon, yum 🙂
    All the best.
    Elaine

Yeah same.

Bircher Museli or this thing I do with an apple and ‘ base’ and milk, ( not porridge, but warm)
    The recipe is on a thread I started saying ‘ welcome to the Monday FASTERS’ or summin.
    It’s yum
    If it is breakfast out and once in a blue moon, go for it, waffles..and eggs.

( just waffles might spike your insulin, mixed with eggs will calm it a bit)
    And enjoy!!!

As mitches says, don’t drink the juice, or water it down and have some protein.
    But don’t stress..that’s the beauty of it, cos 2 days a week..you is eating like a finely tuned athlete and the other days, enjoy but don’t bing ( go over board.) food is not leaving the planet.

Protein is anything with a face on or has come from something with a face on ( bar legumes,/ nuts they don’t have a face, thank goodness. They are protein too)

Great advice, thank you and I will certainly keep this in mind!

I forgot about the insulin spike! Thank you so much for reminding me!

I really connect with this post because I am getting the same responses from people. However, I have to admit… when my husband first talked about this 5:2 plan (I don’t like to call it a diet) I was not totally on board. I met with a fitness trainer and he was concerned too. He told me that he would like to touch base with me in a couple of months to see if it is working. I talked to him about the mice studies related to this plan. He then said I would be his human “lab mouse” because he did admit that if it works, he would like to use it to help others. The thing to remember is that people are skeptical of things they don’t know or understand. Use that cynicism as a motivator.

After 5 weeks, I have lost 7.7 pounds. My husband has lost 9. I can’t wait to go back to that trainer looking slim and trim. 🙂

Cathyork, congratulations on the 17 pounds! What does your typical fast day menu consist of? Always looking for new options.

Nice loss Alaska! And like you said, going back to that trainer looking slim and lean should get him “on your side”. 😉

Hi

Good for you to keep trying! In order to keep to a healthy weight, I used WW for years, but needed something different. Love this plan as I can do it forever and the health benefits sounds good.

Why I love it? like many other contributors, this plan allows me to have what I want on my non-fast days. I do not have a load of garbage, I am conscious what I eat and stay within a calorie range, but the freedom to know I can have what I want on that day is priceless.

My main requirement from this plan is, “is this life long”? YES
    Do I have to eat anything special? NO
    Can I cut back on the Fast days at some point? YES

I am currently on a 4:30 plan and the weight is flying off, so worth all my efforts (which isn’t much effort, really)

Be well

I just wanted to say that it was Michael Montignac who pointed out in the 1990’s that the concept of calories and weight control was concocted by two doctors from the Mayo Clinic in the 1940’s who performed about two weeks of research. That was it! Ever since then, the concept of “calorie reduction” has been the pancea for the world of the overweight.

Montignac pointed out some very interesting flaws in traditional calorie reduction.

During World War II, thousands of people were (most unfortunately) put into concentration camps and starved. Many people died of starvation, however some of them survived.

But according to the “calorie reduction theory” everyone who would have been put into a concentration camp and received about 200-500 calories per day “must die” after 3 months. But the average concentration camp prisoner continued to live on, in some cases for years.

It’s gruesome, I know, but when you take a look at all the other incidences of famine, the human race would have been doomed if the calorie model were true. The reality was humans are adaptable to more or less calories. You can survive on a number of calories if you have to. However if you live in an environment where food is in abundance, it’s sometimes torture to subject yourself to permanent denial by “never” eating the delicious foods, because you are overweight.

It seems that because the calorie reduction model has “been on the market” for decades, too few medical professionals what to explore new possibilities for changing dieting. They want to continue the calorie reduction model, because that seems to have been the most successful model in the past.

But ask your doctor this: why is it obesity is such a 20th/21st century probelm? Why do more people need to diet more than ever? Could it be that it’s because we no longer live under Stone Age food scarcity problems? Even though our bodies are physiologically still in the Stone Age?

In the end the Fast Diet is calorie reduction. On fast days you eat less calories. On feed days you eat what you eat.

This is new. But it’s up to you to prove to your doctor, it’s a way of life and not a diet. A calorie diet has a start, a period and an end when you reach “X” pounds. This isn’t like that.

This is a way of life, not a diet.

Great post Weissdorn,

very well written and very informative, so thank you for sharing!

Angie x

“Just another fad”! Tell me about it, Ashley et al. Couscous, I would be tempted to reward your “ironic” supporter by shoving his cake right down his throat!.

I was only thinking today how mean-spirited some of medical profession are about intermittent fasting. Play around for a few minutes on Google and you’ll see what I mean. It’s as though they think the many who have succeeded in losing weight by this very civilised method are simply being gullible.

Thank you for your excellent post, Weissdorn. I’m reminded of a very distastful story that appeared in one of our local rags a couple of years back about a doctor who told an older Jewish lady patient with a weight problem to stop eating so much, after all “nobody got fat in Auschwitz” – a disgraceful thing to say, especially taking account of the patient’s ethnicity.

There’s no money to be made, that’s why a lot of ‘diet expert’ doctors, trainers etc. object to 5:2 as well. Of course Michael & Mimi & others might release a book or 2 on it and there might be a new angle for all the celebrity chefs come next Christmas’ big recipe book push but basically the ‘rules’ are so simple you can get them across in a sentence and its up to the individual to find a way to do it that fits in with their lifestyle and their food preferences. No meal guides, no subscriptions, no weekly weigh in at the local community hall, no hurry, no pressure other than what you apply to yourself.

Too simple, easy and non-commercial for a ‘diet obsessed’ world.

The weight reduction from the fast diet is actually due to a reduction in calories – 500 calories instead of 2000 for two days of the week brings about a deficit of 3000 calories for the week – the other health benefits that are acrued seem to come from the fasting effect. Would be fantastic if someone did some scientific statistically relevent studies on humans in relation to this. I don’t think these have occured as yet.

It is a lot easier to reduce calories long term by only having a few days where you are eating less than to be continually, day in day out having to count your calories and to not be able to enjoy the foods that we love that are so calorie dense that on a restricted diet they just can’t be enjoyed.

One thing that I have been loving with the fast diet is that I am a lot more comfortable with the feeling of being hungry. Knowing that not eating for a day isn’t going to kill me.

I suggest you to prove it to them and look for some people that you can be inspired with.To be honest getting fit or losing weight is really hard things to do but if have confidence and some inspiration you can endure everything.In Finland before i use to decide getting fit and getting personal trainer at http://www.liikuntakeskussyke.fi/ i think it very deep that i can encounter difficulties and i said to my self that i will endure it for the sake of my health and now i am getting fit i got 4 months in gym and it is not that easy i can tell but everyone can do it.

I tried 5:2 a while back but only did it for 4 fasts over 3 weeks… Oops! I’ve started again this week and am fasting today and on Wednesday. I told my husband and he said he thought fasting wasn’t worth a pinch of s%$t. How’s that for support?? He’s adamant that the only way for me to lose weight is to exercise. Easy for him to say when he is self employed and can structure his day however he wants! We get up at 6am and I leave home at 7.30 for work. I get home at 6pm when I have to do all the house stuff – kids, dinner, washing etc…. time is not my friend.

I don’t care what he thinks though as I am doing it anyway. It is a perverse kind of motivation! Lol!

I’d love to hear how Ashley is getting on…

oh JamieB my heart goes out to you re your husband’s negative attitude, has he seen the video so he can see that this is a health plan and not a diet. And ummm when are you supposed to do all this exercise, maybe when he cooks dinner for the kids and does the washing up!!! This is a plan for life which means you will be the best mum you can be too.
    Maybe the best way folks on this forum can support you is coming up with meal ideas that are quick and simple for you, since you are rushed off your feet caring for your family.
    one idea that works for me is to have frozen berries and frozen spinach along with a can of coconut water or low fat yoghurt or milk–its about 150 calories, some evenings I get home tired and its my standby. My other one is to use my slow cooker and make a big pot of soup to freeze and then a meal is not far away.
    all the very best and I wish you health and well being. You can do it with the forum on your side.

Hi JamieB – how frustrating that your husband has that attitude. One thing I have learned during 5 months of 5:2-ing is that the majority of people roll their eyes and tell you lots of reasons why they don’t think it is a great idea and why you definitely won’t be successful.

So the proof is really just quietly getting on with it and showing that it does work.

If it helps I have lost 1.5 stone with almost no exercise – mainly because I am unable to do much whilst awaiting hip replacement surgery (now less than a week away). And whilst it has taken 5 months, I had 2 weeks off for holiday in September and about 3 weeks off over Xmas – and the weight I regained in both cases I lost again the first week back on the 5:2.

If you can do any exercise I am sure it would help the speed of loss – but I and many others on this forum are proof that it works without.

And I was also working long hours and travelling during the first few months of doing the 5:2 (I have since been made redundant) and so I adopted a simple fast day routine of having half a tin of beans on 2 slices of toast and a cup of tea twice a week – boring but time efficient!

There are lots of people on this forum who will support and encourage you – I wish you great success! Go and prove your husband wrong!

Let us know how you get on…

Cath x

Poor Jamie. That kind of “support” is not what you need.

With the utmost respect to the many thoughtful and helpful male posters we have in 5:2 the forum, experience has taught me that some men (including my OH) get great pleasure from telling others of either gender – but especially women – that they are getting things wrong, their activities are pointless, yadayada. Does anyone in the UK remember nosy neighbour in the Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse show? His catch phrase was “You don’t wanna do that,” before coming out with a load of unwelcome and totally useless advice. For me that’s a bit close to home. To be fair though, there are many female smart-arses around too.

I suspect there’s a bit of outsmarting going on here. Fortunately for me, my OH is also Fast Dieting and is therefore supportive, as he is in many other ways, but if it makes you feel any better there are one or two areas in our life where he can be hyper-critical and unhelpful, claiming that after 27 years he “still doesn’t get me”.

Hang on in there and if you need advice and support, or just a good rant, this is the place to come.

Wow, TracyJ that really hit home to me.. no money to be made, that’s right! As a health professional myself I see it often where other health professionals get uncomfortable with people taking things into their own hands without the use of commercialized products, expensive gym programs and medication. The fast diet is so simple that it’s threatening to those who profit from weight issues! I genuinely believe that Michael Mosley is in it for the truth, not for what makes the most money.

JaimeB, I really feel for you. I have a close friend currently trying to improve her wellbeing and her husband says the same sort of things. exercise can help yes, but for most of us, it is not nearly enough!

Ashley150 – exactly! I know a lot of people on this forum buy the book and the cook book before they even contemplate starting this way of life. It’s like we’re conditioned to need ‘stuff’ to make it a legitimate course of action. I watched the documentary, thought “that looks too easy to ignore” and just started the next day. No rule book (what ‘rules’ are there really anyway? None that can’t be figured out in 5 minutes), no recipe book, just a bit of common sense and a close eye on the calorie breakdown of whatever I was planning to eat. Easy!

Too easy to be profitable to anyone, unless they make it ‘look’ complicated.

BTW – I don’t wish to appear to be dissing Michael or Mimi. We (well maybe not all of us but as a society) do seem to need that crutch of a ‘rule book’ and I expect there is value for some in having a properly nutritionally balanced recipe book with set calorie amounts to follow. Especially for those who weren’t eating a balanced diet already, or are looking for optimal health benefits from the lifestyle, or are so close to their target weight that they need all the extra help they can get.

I think their books do fulfill a need and I believe that they genuinely wanted to get the word out further and saw the books as an opportunity to do that and spread the good word further after the documentary’s success. Thank you to both of them – they have brought most of us to this board and for me that is the biggest win and the best tool.

Myself, I’m happy with my standard favourite recipes (I’ve calorie counted them and they were from my mum’s old weight watchers book anyway) and calorie counting any other ingredients or ready made stuff I choose to eat.

@tracyj …you are right.

I think it’s more about conditioning than actual need. Every diet, every slimming class – Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Lighterlife, Herbalife or any other of the myriad diets out there require you to buy their books or products and follow their rules of ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’. It may be that WW, SW etc say they ‘give you’ the books (although they also want you to buy their ‘special’ choc bars etc) but you have to pay for the classes or online registration before you can have them. It’s sometimes difficult to get your head round the fact that 5:2 doesn’t need this.

You only have to look at Amazon to see that there are already a load of people who have ‘jumped on the 5:2 bandwagon’ and ARE obviously hoping to make money, by publishing 5:2 recipe books. I looked at one in a shop last week and the recipes in them can actually be found in every ‘ordinary’ book – so save your money folks! There are plenty calorie counted recipes on line, if required.
    Every product you buy (including ready meals) have the calorie value printed on the label and there is a load of information and ‘calorie counters’ online if you need them – and not an extra penny/cent spent!

Someone mentioned 5:2 to me, so I Googled and found the video of the programme, watched it and, since I had reached a plateau on my weight loss journey, thought ‘that might help’ – Googled some more and found this forum and went from there. I don’t have any books or specific recipes … it hasn’t cost me anything – I’ve actually spent less on food – BUT IT STILL WORKS!!!

Hi Ashley-I have read many of the responses to you and find them so helpful. My friends think I’m nuts and think it’s crazy to fast but I really like the idea that I don’t have to be hyper vigilant about everything that goes in my mouth all the time every day. I am also shedding pounds more successfully than others who have gone back to the old tried and true plans. I did realize after the first fast that eating regularly the next day was hard to figure out because my regular eating involved over eating.

I do treat myself to a nice breakfast the next day but find that I often don’t want lunch. It’s a learning experience. I know if I really indulge it will negate all that great fasting so I try to keep my TDEE in mind but I don’t obsess about it.

The proof is in the pudding-I am losing weight and intend on having blood work done soon

I agree, nonfast days you do think a bit more than you use to.
    You really weigh up if eating 6 pies is worth it

Hi Jamie how are you doing ? I hope your husband hasnt put the kaibosh on your plans. hope you are managing to get some fasts in—Wishing you well

I second that, Jamie. Hope you can hang on in there. We’re all rooting for you.

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply.