Did it take you a while for the weight loss to happen?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Did it take you a while for the weight loss to happen?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I’m now on week 4 and I have gained a pound. Clothes aren’t fitting any looser. I have always exercised, I don’t drink soda, rarely eat out, am still trying to keep feed days under control, etc. Believe me I know how to diet — that’s what I was running away from. But all I have accomplished this month is learning how to speed up my weight gain significantly. (also, trouble sleeping.)

It’s discouraging because I bought into the whole “freedom from counting calories” promise only to read here that many people still count calories on their feed days. Counting AND fasting combined seems like the absolute worst of both worlds.

So I’m clinging to two things: the Venus Index people said that my stomach would naturally start to shrink by around a month in, and Dr. Bert Herring said that around the 3-week mark, leptin levels would change in my favor to bring natural adjustment (and not to even expect much weight loss until then.)

Anyway, I’m going to keep going for a while because this may help stave off Alzheimer’s and depression, but as far as losing the extra 30 pounds I’ve been carrying around, I don’t know. I was hoping to hear from anybody who stalled at the starting gate but eventually had success. Thanks.

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum.
    Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with 5:2 🙁
    When I first heard of Intermittent fasting the health benefits seemed too good to ignore with weight loss as the icing on the cake!
    You will find most people on the forum have (like myself) tried every form of dieting and lost some weight but then regained it and then some.
    Have you read the Fast Diet Book? It only advocates calorie counting on your two fast days (500 for women 600 for men), and to eat normally on the other five days. I hate counting calories so it seemed ideal and in the first three months on IF I lost a stone (and I went on a 12 day cruise too in that time!)
    I did count calories for a while as I had down loaded the Myfitness app and enjoyed playing with it.
    I’m not familiar with the Venus Index so can’t comment.
    There are things you can do to speed up weight loss – instead of 5:2 try 4:3 for a week, take some form of exercise daily and just be more careful on those normal days. Don’t think of normal days as ‘feast days’!
    Eventually your body does change and your attitude to food (and portion sizes)alters.
    Keep at it as you say it should help to stave off Alzheimers, hypertension and Type 2 Diabetes.
    Good luck 🙂

Hi all
    I am from the USA and have been reading these posts for a couple of months now and have to comment on the post by Susan. I started this way of eating after accidently catching the documentary by Dr. Mosley on the PBS station here in Pittsburgh. So glad I did. Didn’t really think it would work but wanted to give it a try for health benefits. I started on October 4th and had lost no weight by one month…almost gave up but remembered I started this for health reasons (fasting reduces risk of cancer) so kept it up and to my surprise have now lost a total of 7 pounds in seven weeks. I wondered why Dr. Mosley gave himself five weeks before weighing (seemed like an odd number) and now I know…it takes your body some time to just give it up and start losing…this is the easiest way to lose weight that I have ever found. I now only weigh myself every two weeks…THANK YOU DR MICHAEL MOSLEY

Ah, thank you preed1347 (and Happy Fastgiving to you!). That’s exactly the encouragement I needed right now. I am also in the US and trying this because of the Michael Mosley documentary, which I found on Vimeo and forwarded to everybody I’ve ever known immediately after watching. My husband has already lost nearly five pounds, so that is great.

Lindyw, Venus Index is just a weight training system that espouses Brad Pillon’s Eat Stop Eat version of intermittent fasting.

Hey Susan!

I think a lot has been said already, so I won’t repeat other people’s words 🙂 I do want to leave a short comment on what you said about fasting and counting sounding like the “worst of both worlds”. It’s true that some people still count on their normal days, but a lot others don’t. If you’ve counted before I think you should have a basic understanding to know what are healthy foods and what aren’t. So without counting and weighing you’ll still be able to eat normally! That’s the thing, they say “eat normal”. This doesn’t mean “eat like you always did”! This WOL (Way Of Life) is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

I’m confident you’ll start losing if you keep these things in mind 🙂 You can still calculate your TDEE to roughly estimate how much you can eat on normal days. I do recomment counting for a week or two if you’re on a plateau, just to make sure you’re not eating too much for weightloss to happen – but that’s too early for you I think 😉 And your hubby already lost five pounds, so I think you should start losing it soon as well because you two clearly have the method down!

Whoops, I said “short comment”. Oh well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.