Detoxmanic's 6 week Fast Beach Diet Diary

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Detoxmanic's 6 week Fast Beach Diet Diary

This topic contains 32 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  detoxmanic 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

• DAY 1
    MONDAY 12 MAY 2014

Well today is my first day and it’s a fast day!

Been doing the Fast Diet since last summer but needing a bit of a boost. I already do 4:3 most weeks (Mon-Wed-Fri) so will be doing that for the whole 6 weeks. Normally if plans make 4:3 difficult then I just do 5:2 but for the 6 weeks I will always do 4:3 even if it means subbing with a weekend day or doing back to back in the week. I usually save all my calories for even meal and plan to continue this.

Saving my calories for this evening when I am trying out a recipe from the new book – Butternut Ratatouille. The recipe which serves 4 states 148 per portion so might have 2 portions and am going to add small portion of fresh cod to the dish also. Will weigh and measure everything this evening to ensure I am within 500 cals.

I did all my starting stats this morning. Weight, fat %, BMI and waist measurement. Appear to have enjoyed myself too much at the weekend so starting weight a bit higher than I would have liked. Not going to publish my starting stats but will post my weekly results! Will do my strength test later.

Day 1 food and exercise
    Fast Day

Morning: no breakfast just water and lots of green peppermint tea

Afternoon: no lunch just water and lots of green peppermint tea. Go for a climb up a very steep hill near my office. Takes 48 minutes and my fitbit registers an extra 5,1000 steps plus 62 flights of stairs – I did say it was high! Not climbed this hill for couple of years so exhausted afterwards. Very hungry in afternoon so have two corn cakes made with quinoa (40 cals)

Evening: Get home from work and cook the butternut ratatouille from the Fast Beach Diet. I also roast some cod with lemon to serve on top. Have 2 portions of the ratatouille with the cod. Weighed and measured everything meticulously and dinner comes to 369 cals. Slightly less cals than recipe as used less olive oil, parmesan and my aubergine was quite small. Still it was a cracking portion and SUPER delicious. Tweeted a pic to Mimi who replied ‘This, I love. Perfect!’

Exhausted and little achey after lunch time exercise I treat myself to long soak in bath with magazine before bed! Have a small nectarine as a snack (41 cals).

Total calories: 449 – quite low for me as usually around the 500-550 mark but dinner was filling so no need to have anything else.
    Total exercise: 48 mins vigorous cardio

WEIGH IN DAY after fast day 1 – 5.2lbs loss. Very high loss but had upset stomach overnight and think starting weight may have been artificially high after weekend! Actually evens out as a 1.4lb loss from last Friday morning. Fingers crossed it stays off…………….

Day 2 food and exercise
    Non fast day

Morning: 50g jumbo porridge oats and chopped banana cooked in soya milk with small sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and 2 pecan nuts

Afternoon: Nice sunny day so went for another hill climb. Same hill, same 220m vertical climb then long longer climb down. Carton of celeriac soup for lunch (whole carton 204 cals) had with some corn and quinoa cakes (88 cals) then feel stuffed!

Peckish in afternoon so have a raw Nakd snack bar (145 cals)

Evening: Get home from work absolutely staving so have (unplanned but weighed portion of) crusty bread with a salad of tomatoes, poached chicken and fresh buffalo mozzarella. Make some lemon and olive oil dressing to go over with lots of mint and rocket. Delicious. Comes in over 900 cals but still not bad over the day.

Take cup of tea to bed with a small OhSo probiotic dark chocolate bar (73 cals).

Total calories: 1804
    Total exercise: 38 mins high/medium cardio (hill climb/walking)Aching after 2 days hill climbing!

Day 3 food and exercise
    Fast Day

Morning: just mint tea

Afternoon: No lunch but a single corn cake as a snack (22 cals)

Evening: Make the recipe from the May fast diet newsletter baked fish with spring vegetables. Used a fresh haddock fillet and was delicious. Very filling portion but since I had enough calories I had a small portion of Tilda Pilau basmati rice that I heated for husband to have on side of his fish. (387 cals)

Have a snack of popcorn later in the evening (85 cals)

Total calories: 492
    Total exercise: none although was on my feet more than normal for a non exercising day so got a small 50 cal credit from my fitbit on MFP!

Note – husband loving the recipes this week!

Day 4 food and exercise
    Non fast day

Morning: Porridge with honey and almonds. Hard boiled egg.

Afternoon: fresh carton soup and homemade salad sandwich on whole meal. Snack on some pumpkin seeds and raisins later in afternoon.

Attempt to go for run after work but really struggled. Had got to week 6 of a couch to 5k plan before my hols but struggling after a break. May need to start at beginning. Interestingly hubby who is good runner said he was lacking energy in his run. He isnt doing 5:2 but been eating same dinners as me so maybe he isn’t getting enough for his much higher energy output!

Evening: dinner of salmon baked with cherry tomatoes and sautéed kale with garlic, lemon and cannellini beans. Small slice baguette – weighed! Probiotic chocolate bar – 63 cals.

Total food: 1720 cals
    Exercise: 20 min walk/jog. Fitbit calorie adjustment for day + 70 cals)

Definitely finding non fast days more challenging/restrictive and it’s only day 4 but going to stick with it and hope it shows on the scales on Monday!

Weighed this morning )after 2nd fast

Day 5 Food and exercise

Fast day

Morning: nada except herbal tea and water. Very hungry!

Afternoon: one corn cake (22 cals). Still very hungry!

Evening: strangely after work hunger subsides a little so wait until 7.30 to make dinner. I cooked a small rump steak with grilled portobello mushroom, peppercorn sauce and undressed salad. Totally worth holding onto (almost) all my fast say calories for!

Resist my occasional temptation to increase my fast day allowance on a third Friday fast and just spend rest of evening drink peppermint tea and listening to an album I downloaded from a band I just discovered. Very relaxing.

Total cals: 479

Day 6 and 7 Food and Exercise
    Non fast days

Sat morning: grilled Portobello mushroom, grilled tomato, 2 scrambled eggs and 3 slices of nimble wholemeal bread toasted with scraping of lurpak

Sat afternoon: toasted ciabbata bread topped with pineapple cottage cheese, 2 slices of cantaloupe melon

Sat evening: steamed dim sum and homemade chicken massaman curry with thai jasmine rice.

had a nice soak in the bath after dinner and then decide I fancy a bowl of chopped fruit and natural yoghurt instead of a glass of wine!

Not much exercise today but on my feet a lot running errands and tidying up the house.

Total cals: approx 1800

Sun morning: same breakfast as Saturday

Sun afternoon: same lunch as Saturday also as it was so good EXCEPT this time walk for 1h40mins / 8km to buy the ciabbatta bread and burn 628 cals according to runkeeper app! Also have a small flapjack – it wasn’t worth the 150 cals 🙁

Sun evening: same dinner as Saturday too! Was planning to try a moussaka recipe but quite tired after the dose of fresh air and there is still half the curry left I add some extra veggies and we have that again. Otherwise it would probably have gone to waste. Have a little bit light coconut milk left so cook some banana in it for a late pudding.

Total cals: prob around 2300 cals as was naughty and used some of the cals I burned walking.
    Total exercise: 1hr 40mins fairly gentle walking

End of week 1 report!

Well I lost 3.2lbs and really happy with that. Waist also very slightly smaller – about 1cm!

I did 3 fasts and didn’t exceed 500 cals on any of these (normally I stretch to 550-600). In addition I increased my activity levels and really tightened up on non fast days trying to stick to no more than 1800 cals with the exception of Sunday. There is scope to be a bit tougher at the weekend and I did have some white bread and rice which I had intended not to have.

Overall I’d give myself about 8/10 for effort.

Highlight of the week: the new recipes from the book especially the butternut ratatouille

Challenge of the week: lack of energy from the heavy exercise at start of week combined with reduced calorie intake which made exercise in the middle of the week really tough.

My target for the 6 weeks is a 14lb loss which means I have 10.8 to lose over remaining 5 weeks.

Also need to start on HIT this week.

Day 8 food and exercise

Fast day

Morning: nada except herbal tea and water.

Afternoon: Go for a lunchtime hike for an hour and have one corn cake (22 cals).

Evening: Make smoked haddock gratin from the Fast Cook book for dinner and have with small side salad.

Generally quite an easy fast day – was not excessively hungry and day passed fairly quickly!

Total food – 489 cals
    Total exercise – 55 mins (398 cals burned)

Day 9 food and exercise

Non fast day

Morning: granola with unsweetened soya milk and baby banana

Afternoon: bowl of homemade smoked haddock chowder (made without cream just semi milk!), small sandwich made with nimble bread. Dired plum

Evening: made individual moussaka’s from Donna Hay’s book fresh and light – they were fab! Had with side salad. Later in evening had ohso probiotic choc bar (72 cals).

Total food: approx 1870 cals
    Total exercise: none as ended up working a bit later!

Hey Detoxmanic! You’re doing great – keep up the great work! Loved reading your posts – loads of inspiration! Might join your Fast Beach diet quest 😉 3 pounds is a great loss for only one week!

Alex x

Thanks – I was really pleased with the loss as usually only lose 0.5-1.5lb per week on the ‘regular’ fast diet even when I do 4:3. Being careful and mindful on non fast days and sticking carefully to no more than 500 on fast days seems to have really made a difference.

Day 8 food and exercise

Fast day

Morning and afternoon: nada except herbal tea and water.

Evening: MAke butternut ratatouille with baked cod for dinner which end up having quite late. Before bed had ohso probiotic sugar free choc bar (63 cals). let it melt in my mouth in small pieces to prolong the pleasure!

Another fairly easy fast day – started a little hungry but was quite busy and day passed quickly!

Total food – 481 cals
    Total exercise – none – tut tut!!

Day 9 food and exercise

Non fast day

Morning: Orange and macademia granola with soya milk and baby banana (450 cals)

Afternoon: homemade butternut squash, sweet potato and lentil soup with 3 corn cakes and cottage cheese (500 cals approx.)

Have an apple before heading to the gym to try my first HIT session.

Evening: make chicken and mushroom stroganoff and have with quite a large portion brown basmati rice! About 700 cals and not as nice as most of my fast day meals!!

As a bit of a treat(!) I make up a bowl of mixed fruit (Melon, grapes and blueberries) topped with fat free natural yoghurt, fresh mint, 3 chopped pecans and sprinkle of pumpkin seeds. Its approximately 160 cals and takes me slightly over my intended goal of 1800 cals per day at least it was healthy!

Total food: approx 1900 cals
    Total exercise: 15 min HIT session on cross trainer and some lunges and ab crunches.

(NB expected a gain on the scales this morning after such a carby non fast day but stayed the same which is great. One more fast day today and then a careful weekend before 2nd weekly weigh in on Monday).

Day 10 – food and exercise

Fast day

Morning and afternoon: nothing to eat all day just lots of peppermint tea. Busy at work and sat at my desk most of the day too so no exercise.

Dinner: had what is becoming a fave Friday night fast day supper – rump steak with peppercorn sauce from morrisons. Made some courgette spaghetti and a grilled mushroom with salad on the side.

Food cals: 481
    Exercise: none

Day 13 food and exercise
    Non fast day

Morning: 2 boiled eggs with 2 slices whole meal bread and lurpak lightest

Afternoon to evening: out for lunch with friend. Had one large glass of wine plus three ‘tapas sized portion of: mini falafels, 2 slices grilled Halloumi with roasted vine tomatoes and thyme scented homemade chips. It’s a pretty healthy restaurant but still……..

Then met husband and other friends for rest of afternoon and spent about three hours in pub. Drank 4 glasses of prosecco as it seemed lowest cal option!

Then it goes downhill…. Bought a pizza on way home to cook for dinner (800 cals) and felt a bit crappy after I’d eaten it.

Total food: guesstimate (although did log everything on MFP I can’t be sure about the lunch calories) 2911 cals. More than 1000 cals over 1800 target.

Exercise: just some light walking that got me 141 cals extra on my fit bit.

DANG DANG DANG!!!!!

Oops post days are wrong – last days 8, 9 and 10 should be days 10, 11 and 12!!

Day 14 food and exercise

Non fast day…….but decided to stick to between 1000-1200 to try and claw back some of yesterday’s excess!

Morning: skipped breakfast as this seemed an easy way to cut some calories plus wasn’t particularly hungry.

Afternoon: was hoping to go for nice long walk but weather was horrendous. Torrential rain off and on all day. Made a pulled pork burger on wholemeal roll for lunch with a hunk of iceberg lettuce on the side

Evening: made individual moussakas from the Donna Hay fresh and light cookbook again. Really delicious and satisfying. Was planning to have some garlic bread on the side but decided to give that a miss.

Had a couple of corn cakes with cottage cheese and pineapple for supper as thought I should maybe have something to get me through fasting next day.

Went to bed staying to my husband that am looking forward to my breakfast on Tuesday! Only 36 hours away lol!!

Total cals: 1075
    Total exercise: none – very lazy day in the house.

End of week 2 report

Overall I found week 2 a lot more manageable. Last week felt quite an effort but this week was no so hungry or tired. Whether my body adjusted to the reduced intake or whether it was not being quite so hardcore on the exercise that made it easier or both – who knows?!

I managed to stick to under 500 cal on fast days and 1800 on non fast days with the exception of Saturday but I modified my eating on Sunday to try to balance this out.

I have calculated that by fasting 3 days and sticking to 1800 cals the other 4 days I am taking on board and average of 1242 calories per day. And that is what is great about this way of eating because there is just no way I could stick to 1242 cals every day.

Overall I lost 3lb bringing my total to 6.6lbs in 2 weeks.

NB I fast Mon-Wed-Fri and it is worth noting that I am not weighing officially after my last fast day but on a Monday (after 2 days of not fasting). I am finding this is keeping me in check over the weekend as I really don’t want to undo all my hard work!

Want to lose 7.4lbs over next 4 weeks to meet my target of 14lbs in 6 weeks – THIS IS DOABLE!!

Day 15 Food and exercise

Fast day

Morning and afternoon: no food just herbal tea. Go to the gym but just to use the steam room, sauna and hydropool

Evening: Pan fry a sea bream fillet and have with the beetroot salad recipe from the FBD book and couple of new potatoes and stuffed vine leaves (442 cals)

In the evening have a snack of a corncake with cottage cheese.

Total food – 495 cals
    Total exercise – none

Day 16 Food and (no!) exercise

Non fast day

Morning: Forest fruit granola with baby banana and aplro soya coconut milk (just discovered this and it is delicious – 20cals per 100ml)

Afternoon: Have a working lunch with mini sandwiches/wraps. No idea really how many calories but am quite restrained than normally would be AND don’t have the cake!! Do however have a choc prune in the afternoon.

Evening: Make chicken breast stuffed with ricotta and basil, leftover beetroot salad, roasted tomatoes, side salad and garlic bread. Have an ohso probiotic choc bar

Later I have a small bowl

Total food: approx. 1800 cals (hard to estimate lunch but I allocated 600 cals which seemed reasonable for what I ate!)
    Total exercise: none (again!!)

Hi detoxmanic’! Impressive results! What do you feel are the major changes from your regular 5:2/4:3 that are making such a difference in your weight loss?

Thanks Ply!

I think the difference is sticking much more closely to the 500 and TDEE limit. I used to stretch it to 550 and more before by justifying that I was going on 25% of my TDEE. I am now tracking and counting on my non fast days as well to make sure I don’t go over. I calculated my TDEE as around 2000-2200 before but using a link to the mayo clinic website someone put on this forum am using as TDEE for non fast days of 1800.

Other than that I have been cooking much more fish recipes and having less meat.

Thanks for the tip! I started Beach this week, and am also tightening up both fast and non-fast days, along with incorporation HIIT. Hoping for some good movement this week! Have a great weekend!

Oops have dropped behind on my food and exercise diary but still recording on MFP so here is a quick summary of past few days……

Day 17 – fast day
    Consumed 466 cals

Day 18 – non fast day
    Consumed approx. 1800 cals
    (another day of eating lunches that I did not make and had to guestimate calories. had tuna melt Panini and lentil soup so prob quite high but did have a nice healthy dinner of homemade baked haddock with breadcrumb topping, baked chips and homemade yoghurt tartare sauce. Recipe was from Donna Hay book and REALLY good)

Day 19 – fast day
    Consumed 490 cals
    (Made the smoked haddock gratin from Fast Cook and had some broccoli on the side – super delicious again!)

Day 20 – non fast day
    Consumed approx. 2100 cals
    (Exceeded my 1800 cal target and about 700 of those cals were empty cals from alcohol!)

Day 21 – non fast day
    Consumed approx. 1930 cals
    (Exceeded target again but still within TDEE)

Day 22
    Fast day

No food all day until dinner time. Had sea bass fillet pan fried with 2 stuffed vine leaves and some M&S salads which I weighed all very carefully)
    Had my usual ohso choc bar

Total cals – 461

Been too busy to post detailed diaries again but in summary……….

Week 4
    Day 22 – Fast day – 461
    Day 23 – Fast day – 517 (first time I exceeded 500!)
    Day 24 – NFD – not sure as was away for day but probably around 2000
    Day 25 – NFD – as day before but probably around 2500!
    Day 26 – Fast day – 471 cals
    Day 27 – NFD – 1698 cals
    Day 28 – NFD – 1784 cals

Week 5
    Day 29 – Fast Day – 493 cals
    Day 30 – Fast day – 499 cals

Which brings us up to today!

So weighed this morning and currently at 10lb loss in just over 4 weeks. Loss has slowed a little over last 7-10 days (in fact it creeped up a little for a couple of days!) but still really happy with my progress.

As I have dropped 10lbs I have rechecked my TDEE and have dropped my daily non fast day allowance to 1750 cals.

Congrats! I am very envious of your success! Following all the rules, and the scale is stuck!

Thanks 🙂 Sorry to hear you are not getting the results you had hoped for.

How long have you been doing?

Have you checked out this thread about the approach we are taking using the Fast Beach plan?
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-fast-beach-diet-plan-who-is-with-me/page/3/

To be fair I was a slow mover until I started tracking everyday and using calc on the link below to determine my TDEE – seems to be 200-300 less than other calculators so net result is that my average daily calories are around 1240. Something I could not sustain on a daily basis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/ITT-20084939

(Thanks to simoncoeluv for originally posting this link!)

Been too busy again to post a diary. I am in my final week of the 6 weeks and I can see why Mimi suggests just doing this for 6 weeks!

Sticking so rigidly to 1750 on non fast days has been hard and I have lost a little focus but am also being quite harsh on myself as I am still managing my 3 fasts and sticking to 500 cals max on those days and have also only gone significantly over my TDEE on 2 or 3 occasions.

I am in my final week of the 6 weeks and I gave myself a target of 14lbs in 6 weeks. Currently am on about 11lbs loss so not sure I will quite make my target but happy to extend the deadline!! Also hitting that time of the month when the scales tend to fluctuate upwards 🙁

I was planning to continue the ‘beach plan’ until my weekend away the first week in August but think to do this I will need to increase my non fast day allowance a little.

Annoyingly I have lost my measuring tape but will make a good effort to find for next week so I can do my final measurements but for certain my clothes are looser and my husband and a few colleagues have noticed 🙂

I never did report back on my loss after 6 weeks. Well it was 12lbs so not quite my 14lb target but very pleased nonetheless.

Have hovered around same weigh for last 2 weeks and going on short break in August so going to ‘get back on it’ for next 3 and a bit weeks and see if I can lose another 5 or so lbs!

Quick update – I hit my one stone target week before last so took almost 10 weeks in the end but I wasn’t so focused after the 6 weeks so last 2 lbs were quite slow to drop. Am still really happy. Obviously continuing with the fast diet but due to holidays I am only probably going to be doing just 5:2 for next 3 weeks.

Will prob do another 6 week fast beach ‘bootcamp’ starting in early September.

I have actually been doing fast diet for one year this month! Have lost around 24lbs in the year and would like to lose at least another 30 (ideally 44lbs) by March 2015 – my next beach holiday 🙂 I know from how my year has gone that I will need to be relatively focused and careful on non fast days to get to my target.

Am back and starting another 6-8 week fast beach bootcamp in prep for my beach holiday in March! Have been doing ordinary fast diet since July but not been careful enough to get close to my target. Christmas hasn’t helped either 🙂

I thought I would come back on my original thread so I can refer back to what I did and ate that worked well. Going to aim to stick to 500 cals on fast days and 1800 on non fast days.

So today is day 3 and the 3rd fast of the week.

Week 1 so far

Day 1 – a little bit over with 678 calorie dinner mainly because it seemed a waste not to use all the halloumi cheese! Only peppermint tea for rest of the day.

Day 2 – Lunch – made some Vietnamese Pho (Mimi’s recipe) but added some rice noodles. Dinner also a Mimi recipe – chicken curry with ginger and lemongrass. Had small portion of rice since non-fast day. Total for day 1208 cals.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply.