Declared Victory Too Early

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Declared Victory Too Early

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  PeterC 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi, all. I post today with tail tucked between my legs. I got onto 5:2 in the early spring and had such fantastic results that I posted a very enthusiastic battle treatise about how I was finally kicking my gluttony habits to the curb. Spoke too soon. Haven’t done a fast in a month. Gained back all the weight plus 8lbs. Pretty pissed because, here we are in summer again, and I’m way overweight and regressing. Any words of wisdom?

Wipe the slate clean, start again tomorrow (don’t wait until Monday) and don’t feel bad about it. Everyone slips up, if you feel like this is an achievable lifestyle then don’t give up on it. The fact that you are still here says that you are still trying so just focus on your goals and forget about the blip.

There is always tomorrow. New start, and move forward. Try not to dwell on what has happened, and get back on it! best of luck 🙂

Hi:

What are your ‘problem foods’ – the ones you just always eat (or drink)?

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m definitely motivated. Been doing P90X with friends for about three weeks now. Killing me, but incredible exercise, but family’s normal routine has been messed up recently, so eating out a TON.

Problem foods are heavy things: nachos, calzone, pizza, whole sub (rather than half). Oh, and beer some on weekends. lol

So for accountability purposes, I weighed in at 294lbs. That’s about 70lbs over ideal weight, and very VERY uncomfortable.

I read somewhere that on fast days, the small meals should be low carb. Is that right? Any other “tricks of the trade” more experienced 5:2 folk might have learned? Thanks for any and all.

Hi Wayne:

Your foods and drink are all high carb. I suspect you are addicted to carbs (carb addiction is not only possible, but recent research shows as quite likely for many people). Research into why people regain lost weight might someday focus on that kind of addiction.

Anyway, 5:2 is not good at denting the addiction if it is strong. The old Atkins Induction Phase was designed to attack the addiction before starting the Atkins diet. I suggest you try it for at least one week along with 5:2.

It is simple to state, but hard to do. You have to keep track of every gram of carbs you eat for a week. So, for one week, do not eat more than 20g of carbs of any kind per day. That is not very much. You can eat all of the fat and protein you want. The old Atkins had you do it for two weeks, so if one week does not quite do the job, you may have to try it for a bit longer.

Looking forward, the low carb on diet days is obviously good for you. And, current research is that a healthy human diet will have over 60% fat calories and around 15% carb calories. But that is another issue.

Your exercise will cause you to retain water, mitigating initial fat weight loss from 5:2, and won’t help that much with weight loss going forward, but is definitely good for your overall health: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/exercise-is-dangerous-for-your-diet/

Good Luck!

Simcoeluv

I read your post about exercise with great interest. Yesterday I started a new post titled: after 1 year I’m at my wits end: basically after losing four kilos in five months, my weight loss stalled for another few months and now I’m almost back to where I started. I have stuck to this diet with the exception of four weeks (not consecutive) and I’m so frustrated. I get the whole TDEE thing and on most days I am under that.

But I do exercise. I do cycle at the gym which is very vigorous exercise and swimming and strength training and I’m wondering if that is playing a role.

I’m not satisfied with the replies of the other people telling me to weigh everything and count calories on non fast days and that I must be over eating. I know I’m not.

Maybe I’ll tone down the exercise and just go walking.

Scrittore – have a look at this as it might be relevant:

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/weight-loss-plateau/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.