Day 1, middle of my Fast! 300Cal dinner left!

This topic contains 34 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Hi Everyone

I started the diet yesterday but today is my first fast day, up to now I skipped breakfast and coped well with the hunger. Have just ate my 200 cal Tuna Salad which I didn’t want to end and I’m now in the zone feeling ok but nervous of being hungry tonight after my 300 cal evening meal. Debating whether to do a gym class after work and then eating my evening meal afterwards about 8:30pm. (not done a class in months though!)

Evening meal tonight will be 2 x cod in butter sauces plus a load of veg

If anyone has any other quick evening meal ideas that are 300 cals, please send on!

Hi Vickimummy!
    I can relate to you saying you’re nervous about being hungry later – I spent most of my first fast day assessing whether or not I was hungry and whether or not I should eat the carrot sticks I had brought to work with me! I survived it tho! I thought I would wake up ravenous at about 3am but I was fine and not any hungrier than usual the next morning. My advice is drink plenty of water and keep busy. About the exercise class – if it’ll keep you busy and away from food then go for it, tho if you’re feeling a bit weak maybe give it a miss til next week.
    Stick at it! All the best, Claire

Thanks Claire (CC79)

I’ve just made a coffee now to fight off the hunger (if it is really hunger!). I may just go to my gym class like you say to get me out of the house. Especially as my little boys are on half term from School so are away with Grandparents so I’m not as busy as usual after work sorting school bags/homework/kids tea etc.

I’ll see how I feel at 17:30 when I finish work. How have you been getting on and when did you start?

Vicki

I’m halfway through my 4th week so hardly a veteran! In my first 3 weeks I lost 3 pounds. I had set myself a pound a week goal so I should be happy but after reading stories on here of people losing 3 or 4 pounds the first week I was discouraged! My clothes do feel a little looser and I started a pilates class 4 weeks ago so I may be gaining muscle and that’s why I haven’t noticed big numbers on the scales. I’m not disheartened, my goal is 2 stone off by the end of April so I’m on track for that. I have boys too, 9 and 4 1/2. What ages are yours? Claire

Hi Claire, my boys are 6 1/2 and 9(just turned), the house is really quiet and eery without them there, thats why I need to try and keep busy to avoid hunger.

Losing a lb a week is fab well done. There’s loads of people on here that say its a slower way of losing weight too but it stays off. I got a bit disheartened when I read it was slow as I’m impatient and want to be slim NOW! ha ha.

I need 2 stone minimum off but ideally 3 to get back to my normal weight. I have a holiday as my final goal on 31st May.

What meals have you found filling in the evening?

Hi Vicki, How did the rest of your first day go? It does get easier!
    I could do with losing 2 1/2 to 3 stone but I’ve set myself an initial goal of 2 and then I’ll decide when I’ve got there how much more I need to lose. I’m a generous size 16 and would love to be a 12 again – I think 10 would be a pipe dream but you never know!
    My evening meals so far have been chicken or fish and salad but I know I’m going to have to try different things, especially when it’s getting cold. I was thinking of trying to find a nice soup recipe for winter nights although it would be a struggle without bread to dunk in. I’ve been reading on these forums about Bare Naked Noodles which you can get in Holland and Barrett and very few calories so could probably make a stir fry for under 300cals. I’m going to try them next week if I can get them.

Hi Claire, I did well thanks. I had 2 cod butter sauces with carrots for dinner, after I did the box fit class. I still felt hungry after eating it though but just had a big pint of water and kept busy watching TV and reading on this forum for tips. Back to a normal day today.
    I’m using myfitnesspal to track my calories. I am probably a size 12 on top but I’ve gone to a 14 bottoms due to most of my weight being around my middle and thighs (wine did this). I used to always be a size 10/12 even after having my kids, its only the last 3 years I seem to have let myself go and its crept up on me. I’m 5ft 8″. My aim is back to a size 12 for now and then hopefully a 10 again. I’ve got boxes of jeans and nice clothes in these sizes so will have a whole new wardrobe again if I can stick to it. What are your plans today Fast/Feast? Vicki

Hi Vicki, My fast day was yesterday so feast today and fast again tomorrow. It’s good to get it all over and done with and then I can enjoy the weekend! In saying that I am being a bit careful on my feast days, not eating between meals although I have a couple of biscuits after dinner. I do have a few treats st the weekend – probably too many. I have myfitnesspal on phone but when I put my details in and it told me I could only have 1440 cals per day so I was a bit miffed and haven’t used it since! I keep a food diary every day tho don’t calorie count on feast days but I may start if I don’t lose as much weight as I’d like to. The forums are great – I tend to spend my lunchbreak at work trawling through them for inspiration. Just keep telling yourself that it took longer than a couple of months to put the weight on so it’s going to take a while to get it off again – unfortunately! Claire

Hi Claire, I’m the same as you, fast day again tomorrow (2nd one) and I’ll also be glad when it’s out of the way so I can enjoy the weekend as we are away at our caravan after work Friday to see our boys and bring them home Sunday. I’m also being a bit careful today on my feast day. I only ever usually have eggs for breakfast (3 boiled but only eat 1 of the yolks)and that’s because cereal and bread bloat me but I was originally trying to stick to low carb and low fat, I guess I don’t really have to now so if I want a bacon butty I can have one.

I originally signed up to myfitnesspal to try as a weight loss tool and it told me to stick to 1200 cals a day which I tried for a while but got sick of the restriction. I’m only using it now because its great for working out the calories in things as you can just scan barcodes from your phone so it’s helping me do the 5:2 so I don’t go over my 500 cals on fast days.

I like the forums too, I turned to them last night when I was hungry.

Thanks for the reminder about it taking a while to lose the weight, I need to drum it into my head and not be impatient. Anyway, I’ve held off till now so I’m gonna get my lunch (at work) I’ve still brought a tuna salad but I have a few more cals then my fast day one yesterday. Looking forward to a nice big dinner tonight read to stock up for my fast day tomorrow.

Good luck with yours tomorrow too. Vicki

Hi Vicki, How’s your 2nd fast day going? I think it’s a bit easier on 2nd day because you’ve done it once and survived! Fear of the unknown was a big thing for me and I hate being hungry!
    I’m feeling good now but was so hungry an hour ago. I normally have brunch of banana, strawberries, blueberries or natural yogurt around 12 but I thought I’d leave it til 1 today and have ham salad followed by strawberries and blueberries. From 12 on the clock seemd to go backwards and I thought it was never going to be lunchtime!
    What have you planned for dinner tonight? Claire

Hi Claire , how have you got on, did u get past the hunger? I’m doing ok today up to now thanks. I had the same to eat today as I did on Tuesday fast day, haven’t been the gym tonight though because I’m aching badly from doing two classes in a row for the past two nights. I’ve just ate my cod in butter sauces but ate earlier than Tuesday so I’m hoping I cope with the hunger till I go to bed. My fella hasn’t helped tonight! He’s had homemade fish n chips which smelt lovely. Plus he’s got a can of beer in the fridge which no doubt he will have. Looking forward to eating normal tomorrow. Gonna have a nice bacon butty at work I think. Vicki

Hi Vicki, Yes it is hard to be good when your partner is scoffing chips! It would be great to have a partner doing the diet with you – my in-laws are doing it together but my hubby has an active job and doesn’t need to lose weight whereas I’m chained to a desk!
    By dinner time yesterday I was stressed, hungry and disorganised and ended up having a slice of toast and going nearly 200cals over!! I’d been feeling nauseous all day and that only made me worse so I’ve learnt a lesson there. Also I think I’ll go back to my mid-morning fruit-fest instead of trying to hold off til lunch because it put me in the wrong frame of mind all day. Going to try to be good over the weekend to compensate and trawl through my recipe books for dinner ideas so that next week is planned out. Hope you have a nice weekend away and the weather is ok – and hope you get a good result from your first weigh-in. Claire

Hi Claire, don’t beat yourself up about having the toast, if you were feeling sickly it must have been your body’s way of telling you it needed something NOW! You can easily start a fresh day on this diet. If I am really hungry sometimes I feel sick, its like excess acid in your tummy having nothing to process.
    I am feeling good today and proud of myself for sticking to 500 cals on my 2 fast days. Last night was hard, I got hungry later on so I had a bovril drink which helped loads. I was going to have a bacon butty this morning but it’s fruity Friday today where our work provide free fruit on the last Friday on the month so as I was on my way to the canteen I picked up a banana, pear and plum so decided to have a banana for breakfast instead. Its nearly lunchtime now though so I’m going to indulge in a nice jacket spud with cheese and coleslaw. Then it’s off to our caravan (3 hour drive) so will have a beef baguette on the way.
    I’m not going overboard this weekend but I’m going to eat what I fancy.
    Let me know if you find any good dinner ideas over the weekend when you’re looking. Have a lovely ‘normal eating’ weekend. Vicki

Hi Vicki, I hope you are well. I hope wherever you were in your caravan you were away from the storms! Did you weigh-in or are you going to be patient and wait a few weeks?
    I’ve finished 4 weeks now and have lost 5 pounds and 5 1/2 inches all over between waist, bust, hips, thighs and upper arms! I’m really delighted and glad to see it’s coming off everywhere. Claire

Hi Claire, I didn’t weigh myself no. I am going to go by my clothes and to be honest I think I may have over indulged at our caravan too much with food and wine 🙁 We missed the storms luckily but the rain and wind were very bad, the caravan is in Aberystwyth West Wales. Well done on your weight loss and inch loss, that’s really good. I need to invest in a proper tape measure to do my measurements, do they sell them in the normal supermarkets?. Its Fast day today and I haven’t ate yet but have a 200 cal salad in the fridge at work so I think I may have that now. I haven’t planned what to have for my 300 cal evening meal yet. Probably smoked haddock and veg. How was your weekend? Vicki

Hi Vicki, I had a nice weekend thanks. We took the boys swimming so I was able to get a little bit of exercise squeezed in. I’ve got lots of fitness DVD’s at home so I’m going to have to do some this week to keep the weight loss going. I got my measuring tape in a sewing kit from a pound shop, I’m not sure if you would get one in a supermarket tho I’ve never looked! If you have a shop in your town selling material or craft equipment they might sell them. Something you could try that I’ve heard others do is to measure yourself with a piece of string (or wool or thread) and lay the string out flat and measure with one of those tape measures you get for DIY. I daresay most men have one of these cos I know my husband does but never manages to do any DIY! I had my fruit and yogurt around 11.45 and then I’ll have an apple later if I’m hungry then a chicken breast with loads of lovely steamed veg before pilates. Claire

Hi Claire, that’s a good idea about the piece of string. We’ve got a DIY tape measure that my Dad gave us. My other half never does DIY either! ha ha. I tried to use it last week to measure my waist but It wasn’t easy! ha ha. I’ll try a pound shop thanks. Do you season your chicken breast when you have that for tea? I’m one of these people who has sauces/marinades with everything because I don’t like bland food. Plus Chicken can be a bit dry can’t it. I wonder if the slimming world pizza chicken would be many calories. You just butterfly a chicken breast, then marinade with tomato puree and sprinkle mozarella cheese on top and then add all veg like sweetcorn, peppers, tomatoes etc and bake it in the over wrapped in tinfoil (not touching the top of it) for 30 mins and its lovely! I usually open the foil and do it for another 10 mins to brown the top. I can’t go the gym tonight as I’ve promised my boys we will nip out to get some halloween stuff. Vicki

Oh yum that sounds delish! The problem with SW is everything measured in syns so don’t know calorie content but I think chicken breast approx 150cals, 14 cals in tbsp of tom puree and minimal amount in veg. Mozzarella approx 280cals per 100g(I googled it – I don’t know the calorie content of everything- yet). You could substitute mozzarella for a little parmesan as a little goes a long way. I think I’ll try that tonight – I’ve got some sliced chorizo in fridge if the cals allow it!
    Up to now I’ve just had salt & pepper on my chicken because I’ve had salad with some low-cal dressing to give some flavour, but it has been a little dry and bland. I was going to see if I could factor in some gravy today and pretend it was a roast dinner.
    My husband and I did South Beach diet last year for a holiday and there’s a nice recipe for Mediterranean cod – make a tomato sauce in frying pan with tinned toms (I think about 70cals a tin), onion, spices as you want and reduce down a bit then put cod fillets on top and spoon sauce over and cover pan and simmer til cod cooked. I remember it being really tasty served with veg. I think cal content should be low – I might try it on Thurs night. Tomato based sauces should be quite low-cal although I always add a tsp of sugar because they can be bitter – so maybe no help at all. Claire

Hi Claire, yes the pizza chicken is yum, I may have that tonight. I usually have it with chopped chorizo on top of the Mozzarella.
    Your Mediterranean cod sounds yummy too. I may try that for dinner on my fast day tomorrow. I was pretty boring again yesterday and had the cod in butter sauce again with veg.

How did you get on yesterday?
    I went shopping until 8pm so only ate my dinner late but still felt hungry after it so I had an Oxo drink which kept the hunger off till bedtime. I need to buy the recipe book or google some new recipes. Vicki

Hi Vicki, I got on well yesterday, Tuesdays are always easier for me so I’ll have to be organised for tomorrow to make it easier. I had planned to have pizza chicken last night with a wee square of cheddar as cals allowed but found when I got home that the cheese was moldy! I oven cooked the chicken and had a load of veg (about 300g) and some gravy (just Bisto 14 cals). I was stuffed by the time I finished it but about 3 hours later was hungry but I didn’t really mind it because it was nearly 10 by then. I’ll go to supermarket after work and get fish for tomorrow as there’s nothing worse than walking round a shop full of food on a fast day! Have a good day tomorrow. Claire

Hi Claire, did you get your shopping done? I know exactly what you mean about shopping on an empty stomach, the temptation is difficult. I’ve not been very adventurous with the food. I probably went over 2000 cals yesterday as I had wine and sweets so I was actually looking forward to my fast day today. I sleep really well on Fast days, maybe its because of no wine! ha ha. I’ll be taking the boys trick or treating after work so that will keep my busy and then I’ll have my usual cod in butter sauce with veg about 8pm. Think I’ll go food shopping Friday night. Are you doing anything for Halloween? Vicki

Hi Vicki, We just watched some fireworks last night – we live on a hill so were able to see them at other side of the town from our warm, dry living room! I am enjoying my fast days although randomly I always have a food related dream just before I wake up on fast days! Yesterday I was going out to a restaurant – woke up before the food tho 🙁
    Have a nice weekend. Claire

Hi Claire, that’s lucky living on a hill. We’re taking the boys to one tonight. I messed up my 2nd fast day last week on Halloween by having wine after 8pm when I’d done so well. So I only had 1 fast day last week because didn’t want to fast on a Friday.

Trying to start a fresh this week but not feeling motivated today 🙁 plus will be around food n drink at the bonfire later.

At least the dreams may be keeping you satisfied as you feel like you’ve been to a restaurant ha ha

I’ve ordered a new blender and am going to start making filling soups to bring to work instead of cold salads all the time so I’m hoping that will help with variety of food.

How are you getting on today and how was your weekend?

Vicki

Hi Vicki, I had a chocolate day on Sunday – I was a bit hormonal and it didn’t help that hubby had bought sweets and a choccy pud! I wasn’t surprised when I hadn’t lost anything when I weighed myself on Monday morning.
    I wouldn’t feel too disappointed about only having 1 fast day last week – it’s still better than none! I think you said you were going to wait a month before weighing yourself again so you’ve got another couple of weeks to be good before then. You will get a good result I’m sure.
    Soups are a good idea, quite filling and nice for a cold day, I must get out some of my recipes and work out the cals.
    Claire

Hi Claire, A chocolate day sounds like fun! I’m hormonal too at the mo and feel like eating everything in sight. Not had any successful fast days this week and I think its because I’ve not been on the forum much for inspiration and support. I tried on Tuesday but got till 8pm on Bonfire night so had wine, crisps and a big tea. So tried again Weds and got to 8pm again before giving in to a takeaway curry and more wine 🙁 To be honest I probably didn’t reach 2000 cals on either day but yesterday I forgot to fast completely! I’d ran out of lunch stuff so had to buy in the canteen and then last night I had chocolate, and greedily 3 bags of hula hoop crisps! and wine again when the boys were in bed. Looking forward to my blender arriving soon so I can make soups for Lunch because it’s getting a bit cold for salad. How have you got on this week? I’m not weighing again because its the wrong time of the month to weigh. I’m going to give it another week and weigh next Friday I think. Need to buy that tape measure this weekend.

Hi Vicki, Oh dear it sounds like you’ve had a rough couple of days! Don’t be too hard on yourself, as Mimi says in the book, some days you’re just not in the right frame of mind to fast so start again the next day or the next week. It’s not easy dealing with PMS cravings, I usually feel like eating everything in sight for about a week. I think that’s why men lose weight quicker than women because they don’t have hormones and water retention interfering with their diet every month!
    You will have lost something by next Friday and that will give you the motivation to keep going, plus you can reward yourself with a glass or two of wine lol.
    I made soup on Wed night with some leftover roasted butternut squash and peppers and onion. I couldn’t be bothered working out the cals on Wed night so I decided to just have it for dinner on Thurs and have the usual fruit and yogurt for lunch. It was quite a thick soup but it kept me from being hungry the rest of the evening so I’m going to start making soups too for lunch. When I worked it out it was about 135 cals a bowl tho I was guesstimating that I’d used 10ml of olive oil on the veg when it could’ve been more.
    One of the Sunday papers last weekend had a supplement of 5:2 recipes tho I forgot to get it, mother in law got it so I must borrow hers and make a copy. Or break out and buy the recipe book!
    Have a nice weekend. Claire

Thanks Claire. PMS Cravings are awful! Soup must be the way forward then if if kept you feeling full, that’s good. That’s what I’m hoping.

I think I’m going to invest in the recipe book this weekend so I’ll let you know if I find something easy and tasty.

Have a great weekend too. Vicki

I won’t get between you 2, so I’ll just say keep up the amazing work and keep on motivating each other!

Hi Nika, you’re most welcome to join in!
    I have already read your story, didn’t comment tho and then found you accidentally on Freefalling’s thread. I don’t want to sound like a stalker but keep up the good work, you’re doing brilliantly, especially living in China and not having the language. I’m so glad you find this forum helpful and it really is a nice community of people who have positive things to say and not your usual “trolls”. I know I enjoy reading through the thread even tho often I don’t comment because I’ve nothing to add that hasn’t been said! Claire

Thanks Claire! I try 🙂 And feel free to comment on any thread, of mine of someone else! I rather make a lot of comments of which 50% is useless or just meant as a joke than make no comments and deprive others of a laugh or motivation 😉

Hi Vicki, How have you been getting on this week? Still discouraged after last week? Don’t give up… Claire

Hi Claire! I’ve had a bad few weeks, I don’t have an excuse really just that I’ve been really busy in work and not planned my shopping/meals properly so I haven’t had any fast days at all. I weighed myself this morning and I haven’t put any weight on and have still managed to keep the 3lbs off that I lost in the first two weeks phew!

Hi Nika, yes deffo feel free to join in, the more the merrier!

this weekend I’ve invested in a tape measure and my new blender has arrived so I plan to make homemade soups once I get some recipes from the net and take my measurements properly.

How have you both been getting on?

I’ve also had a bit of an off week, but feeling confident about getting started again. It’s a bit of a challenge for me food-wise, being in China on an internship. I can’t really vary a lot so I usually eat protein in the form of chicken breast or beef. I try to fry it sometimes, but the cooking plate they left me has two settings – burn food and off. So I tend to make some sort of soup with the chicken (I just cook the whole breast usually) with veggies and broth. I also used to add noodles when I just got here, but since I started this fasting thing about 3 weeks back I cut out most carbs.

Damn, only 3 weeks? Feels like so much longer…

Anyway, weight wise I’m ok. I lost about 10lb in the past three weeks and a total of 18lb since I came to China 12 weeks ago. I was lighter a week ago, but I had some chocolate treats last week due to some stress and I went to Hong Kong this weekend on a trip so gained a little over 2lb back. Planning on losing more than those 2lb this week though, with healthy eating and increased exercise!

Hi Vicki and Nika!
    Don’t get too disheartened Vicki, at least you haven’t undone your good work by putting the weight on again! I made soup last week and found that kept me quite full. My main problem is waiting until lunch to eat because I normally have breakfast at 7.15 and a banana at 10.15 so I start to feel really ravenous from 12 on until 1 o’clock lunch break.
    I bought Mimi Spencer’s recipe book and there’s some nice looking dishes in it- we’re having pork tenderloin with fennel tonight so I’ll let you know what it’s like. There’s a nice looking cottage pie with a celeriac mash topping, I don’t think I’ve ever had celeriac but I think I’ll try that next week as I don’t think I’ll have time on Thurday.
    I’ve lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks and next Monday I’ll do my measurements again as I’m trying to do them every 4 weeks. I’m pleased enough but I know I need to step up the exercise a bit – I have loads of Davina McCall workout DVDs so I don’t even need to leave the house I just need to stop making excuses and get on with it!
    Nika, you’re doing really well – 10 pounds is amazing, you’re a good example of how much exercise helps and I know you have a good target to aim for. It must be hard not being able to vary your diet without going carb-overload! Have you to stay in China for much longer? I think you said you were heading to Australia or NZ after?
    Keep up the good work! Claire

Hey Claire! Thanks for the encouragement!
    The funny thing is that the three weeks in which I lost 10 pounds were exercise-free, so I’m really wondering how I’ll get on now that I’ve also added exercise this week.
    I must add that I did cut out all carbs during the first 1,5 week, so that may have been a large contributing factor. I kind of feel like doing that more often, but it makes my energy levels drop quite significantly and I feel that exercise is more important at the moment. I hate not being able to go up a few flights of stairs without having to catch my breath for a bit.

And aye, the carb overload is a very large danger here, with all the rice and noodles!! When I had lunch a few weeks back (before starting IF) with my colleagues and didn’t have rice on my plate, just meat and veggies they all looked at me really funny…

I’m flying to New Zealand February 5th, but my internship is only 9 more weeks (including this one) so my last day is January 17th. And being done with this internship is something I’m really looking forward to! Then my parents will visit from the 18th to the 27th, I’ll have a week or so to prepare for leaving China and then I’m out.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply.