Data for Fasting Weight Loss

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Data for Fasting Weight Loss

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  CarlosCont 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• I have searched for data (high quality statistically significant information) regarding weight loss and fasting. I have not found evidence of a strong connection. The health benefits seem to be clear. They are nothing short of miraculous. However, weight loss from fasting appears to be frequent but certainly not guaranteed to produce a beach body.
    I lost 20 pounds from my aged moderately over weight body during the last year of 5:2 dieting. I am still carrying extra pounds. My beautiful and wonderfully fit daughter in law gained a few pounds and quit after a couple of weeks.
    This is not meant to discourage you from fasting. However, realistic expectations can help you stay with the fasting for the remainder of your life.
    Two other points to consider:
    1) The Chicago researcher conducting the long term study of the 5:2 diet said the plan being tested allows using any other diet plan on the feast days.
    2) For most of us, the weight gain and health issues acquired covers a life time. Preservation of remaining health is the chief benefit of fasting. Healthy weight may take a long time to redevelop. Beach bodies may take significantly more effort in the short term.

I’m curious, Paul, have you read Krista Varady’s research on fasting every other day? I was hoping that her diet book would contain data from her studies, but it’s really not presented in much detail, much to my disappointment. I was hoping that some solid numbers on weight loss were there.

It would seem to me that re-acquiring a “beach body” would probably involve exercise as well as fasting/weight loss, as indeed the FastBeach Diet book seems to indicate. Afraid my C-section scar precludes bikinis in any case. Agree that a perfectly youthful beach body may not be attainable for all, or even most. More interested in the health effects myself, although I certainly enjoy looking better, too.

Curious about your daughter-in-law gaining weight. I guess we are all different. This moderately overweight middle-aged body has managed to lose 40 pounds in 40 weeks of 5:2 plus increasing walking to over 10,000 steps/day from about 4,000, but I’m pretty careful about how much I eat on the vast majority of non-fasting days. I certainly feel healthier, I hope that I have reduced my risk for diabetes and dementia, both of which run in my family. I guess I’ll never know what would have happened if I didn’t lose the weight, right? Prevention is difficult to prove.

Here is Krista Varady’s facebook page wher she answers all your questions:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheEveryOtherDayDiet?ref=ts&fref=ts

She is quite adamant about her Every Other Day diet being based on clinical research and statistics.

Hope this helps?
    Stef.

Stef., thanks for this link, but it seems to require that I sign up for Facebook in order to view it 🙁

Do you know any other way to access it?

Or a link to the published studies that’s open access?

Just post the questions in this thread and I will forward them to Krista?
    Stef.

I guess I didn’t say what I meant. I should have said 5:2 fasting. I have seen some good data on alternate day fasting. I didn’t followup because I didn’t think I had a chance at following that schedule.
    As I recall there are good animal studies for alternate day fasting. Mice on it for their adult lives often show weight loss, menstruation cessation, and “other” health problems which I can not recall.

Paul

Stef., thank you. My question is, if the full text of any of her research papers on intermittent fasting in humans are available online, preferably open access, I do not have access to an academic library and cannot afford to pay the fee for full-text access that many journals charge. I would like to be able to read the actual studies of IF in humans.

Paul, I don’t think much, if any, research studies have been conducted on 5:2 fasting, although Michelle Harvie has done some studies of 2 days of calorie restriction per week combined with a ‘Mediterranean’ diet on the other five days. Many studies of weight loss do not seem to last long enough for people to lose 40, 50, or 100 pounds, and there seem to be even fewer studies of how to achieve long-term maintenance of weight loss. Interesting, considering how significant the ‘obesity epidemic’ is believed to be.

Paul:

Here is the Harvie research franfit mentioned:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/

I don’t feel fasting work for long period. Many people believe skipping meals is a fast way to cut down calories, but in the end, they don’t succeed to lose weight. Rather You’ll be more probable to overeat or even binge if you not take regular meals. Additionally your body may go into “starvation mode” if don’t eat adequately, causing you to gain more weight rather than losing weight!

CarlosCont,
    An outstanding resource. Thank you very much.
    Paul

simcoeluv, thank you for this link — I like to read the actual published research when I can 🙂

I found nice article on how many calories we should eat by The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc:
    http://www.aihcp.org/blog/complete-guide-many-calories-eat-daily/

I don’t see any scientific data supporting the article by The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. That is, there is no supporting data in the article.

Regards,
    Paul Bristol

Yes,they haven’t provide any supporting data but they try to cover almost all essential points.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.