Cottage Pie

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• I have both the fast diet recipe book and fast cook (which is the later edition of the two). I have noted that their recipes for Cottage Pie are identical except for the following:

The fast diet recipe book recipe has 243 calories per portion, serves 4 and uses 250g lean mince.

The fast cook recipe has 340 calories per portion, serves 2, uses 300g lean mince and advises you to serve it with plenty of green leafy veg or steamed broccoli.

This has to be an error. There’s no way that this is a meal for two! I’ve just made the the fast diet recipe book version with the reduced quantity of mince and it is easily enough for four meals (two for now and two for the freezer).

Hi, Moseph. You want a cottage pie that works for the Fast Diet? Try this one:

Cottage Pie: 219 calories 7 g fat 1.8 g fiber 21.7 g protein 15 g carbs 35 mg Calcium GF Cottage Pie is the beef version of Shepherd’s Pie. The addition of mashed cauliflower is a great trick to lessen the calorie and carb count of mashed potatoes. Some people like to do this with mashed cauliflower only, but I enjoy the combo for a more authentic taste. HINT: serves 2. Freeze leftovers for another dinner or invite a guest.
    1 cup roast beef, ground or minced 1 two-oz egg, separated ½ cup mashed potatoes ½ cup mashed cauliflower ½ cup beef gravy, as fat free as you can make it 2 0z peas OR 1 cup lettuce + ½ tsp olive oil + ½ tsp lemon juice OR cider vinegar + 1 oz tomatoes
    Add the egg yolk and gravy to the roast lamb, along with salt and pepper to taste. Whip the eggwhite until stiff and fold into the mashed vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Put the lamb mixture into an oil-spritzed oven-proof dish [2-3 cup capacity] and spread it out evenly. Smooth the mashed vegetables on top and ruffle it with a fork or spoon. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until the top begins to brown a bit and the inside is hot. Whisk the oil and lemon juice in a wide bowl, add the lettuce and tomatoes, and toss gently.

I have tried to duplicate the food values of some of the recipes in the books, and they do not match. Mimi gives a value for olive oil that does not square with what the EVOO bottle says. I have gotten in the habit of calculating the nutritional value of everything we eat on a Fast Day, from established recipes as well as the recipes I invent.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.