Confusing weight change

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Confusing weight change

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Stef. 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• I restarted 5.2 two weeks ago. I lost 2lb in the first week & 2lb in the second. I fast Monday & Thursday. I weighed this morning prior to fasting & I had put it all back on again. I haven’t over eaten on non fast days & have completely stopped alcohol. I’m sure the scales will show a loss tomorrow & on Friday however it seems that it all goes back on after a few non fast days ! It’s v odd & also frustrating – help please – has this happened to anyone else ?

All the time @gatesy. I think my scales were made by a yoyo company!

Unfortunately weight loss is not an exact science. It’s logical that we will weigh less after a fast day than after a non fast day – that’s just simple maths. It’s overall weight loss that matters and since you have only been doing 5:2 for two weeks this time it’s too early to see real results.

Did you measure your hips/waist/chest when you re-started. You may lose inches even if the scales don’t show a loss.

Hang on in there and things will sort themselves out.

xx

Hi and welcome:

Your body can gain or lose two pounds or more a day just as a result of water retention and ‘weight in transit’.

Under 5:2, an ‘average’ woman will lose a little less than one pound a week (some more, many less). So even if you do everything perfectly on your diet, you can get on the scale at the end of the week and find you gained weight or did not lose any. This also explains how some people report they are losing two or more pounds weekly in their first couple of weeks (on any diet). What then often happens is they hit a ‘plateau’ and stop losing for one or more weeks as their fat loss catches up with their water weight loss.

You can only tell how 5:2 is working for you after about a month or two. Be patient.

Good Luck!

As someone who weighed themself daily for about a year I have seen some amazing and totally reasonless weight changes in both directions. Mostly it does tend to be fluid retention as simcoeluv said or dehydration on the other side of the scale. This can easily be brought on by eating salty foods or I find rice is a great way to retain fluid for a heavier morning weight. Hormones also come into play for women over the course of their monthly cycle. Sometimes however I just haven’t been able to pinpoint the cause of the gain. It is what your weight does over a much longer period of time that is important.
    When I am working at losing weight my weekly graph looks far more like a roller coaster than a slippery dip. Often a week where there is a gain is followed by a week with quite a nice drop in weight.
    So hang in there and see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone – I will keep going & try to stay off the scales ! I weighed this morning & I was 3lb down ! Fasting tomorrow. I find it harder with the weather so wild.

Thank you for your reply. I will keep going !!

Hi,

Feeling strange here too…
    I was 126lbs before I started 5+2 and I’m now 123 this morning. I started since Nov 2013 til now….

It is slow… should I add exercise?? Please help!

Hi Sharon:

Three pounds in eight weeks, again, sounds about right for someone as light as you. I’m not sure what your goal is, but at 123, you can’t be far from it. This will explain why people with low TDEEs lose weight more slowly: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Hi Sharon,

I had not much to lose, from 65kg to goal weight of 56, but I have lost 7.5kg in 12 weeks. I am 48 and menopausal. If you want to lose weight faster you might want to consider doing 4:3 (adding another fast day), at least for a week or so. This might get things going.

Also do you log your food? I use Myfitnesspal and I am very careful in logging everything that goes into my mouth and if in question I overestimate. It is very easy to miss hidden calories such as in ketchup, sauces and the occassional cookie. Also take a look at what you are drinking! I have stopped drinking alcohol (well I did that ten years ago with a glass or two per YEAR as an exception), no more Coke (was loving my full sugar Coke) and no more coffee (because I can’t drink it without sugar).

Overall I had a very close look at my dietary habits in general…and I changed quite a lot of them. Yoghurts now with zero fat and little sugar, hardly ever rice or pasta, many more veggies and fruits that are low in sugar such as berries.

Anyhow all of that helped me to achieve my goal so far and frankly I find it fun trying to eat as healthy as possible. For the first time in my life I read food labels and if it contains a lot of things that I can not say out loud without breaking my tongue…I better leave it on the shelf.

All the best to your journey, hope some of my suggestions are helpful?
    Stef.

Hi Stef

Thanks so much for your useful information!

I wanted to lose 10 more lbs.

I’m 31 and my TDEE is just 1656. Is it too low so I cannot achieve my goal?

Hi Sharon:

“I’m 31 and my TDEE is just 1656. Is it too low so I cannot achieve my goal?”

Thanks for the information. It is not that you can’t achieve your goal – it will just take a little longer.

If you are doing standard 5:2, you will be doing two days a week at 500 calories. 1656 – 500 = 1156 calories out of your diet two days a week, or 2312 calories a week. There are 3500 calories in a pound, so that is about 10 oz. a week. That is about what you have been losing.

You can lose weight faster by eating less, but unless you have a strong reason to do it by a certain time, just keep going as you have been and you will reach your goal!

Good Luck!

My TDEE is 1704 so yes you can lose weight! Simcoeluv is right, it just takes a bit longer with 5:2 for us, but then…slowly is good as your body can adjust to your new way of life!
    Stef.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.