Cant help but feel disappointed…

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Cant help but feel disappointed…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Pommychic 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• So I am about ten days or so into starting 5:2. I weighed at the start of the first week.
    My first week I did one successful FD as I came back from holiday that week. I did not weigh myself at the end of this week as I had only done one FD.

My second week, I did two successful FDs. I didn’t do the amount of exercise I would normally do as I have hurt my back but just did some gently walking and did a step class.
    I did not enjoy the FDs on the second week whatsoever as they clashed with spur of the moment social opportunities which I turned down. On Thursday, (my second FD) me and DH found ourselves sat in the beer garden of a really nice pub and DH suggested staying for an early dinner. Even though I wanted to, I declined as I could not see anything low calorie on the menu which would be suitable for my FD.. And I desperately wanted to stick to the plan.
    On Friday morning, the day after my FD, I was bitterly disappointed to see that I had just stayed the same.
    I am so disappointed as I was sure that I would be rewarded with a loss! I wish I had said yes to that meal in the pub now as we never have chance to do stuff like that but I didn’t want to sabotage my results! I am wondering where I am going wrong and whether this plan is suitable for me. I normally drift around 10 to 10 and a half stone. 10 and a half stone is normally the point where I just cut back a little and my weight floats back down again. However, in the New Year, my doctor put me on medication which resulted in my weight ballooning right up to 11stone 7 which is the heaviest I have been in my life unless pregnant. I was gutted about the weight gain and so I came off the medication in May/June. I am still 11and a half stone. None of my clothes fit me and I look in the mirror and hate seeing how I look. I am very petite and have a small frame so the weight gain is very visible.

It’s worth bearing in mind that
    I normally find it easy to lose weight when I first start a new eating plan
    My stomach is completely bloated. My face looks very puffy as well.
    It’s not TOTM as I have a MIrena coil.
    I have been eating at TDEE logging everything in myfitnesspal and following 16:8
    I have been drinking lots of water.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading and sorry if I sound like I am feeling sorry for myself!

Hi Pommychic. I’m sorry you’re feeling down. I speak from experience when I say that I know how you feel. Medications can have a horrible effect on your body. Sometimes it can take a long time for them to work their way out of your system. I know that I gained a lot of weight from steroids and Lyrica (a medication for nerve pain). It took a long long time for the effects of them to lessen. From what you describe you are sticking to plan. I am in another group that has been going since May 1st and we have lots of people who at one time or another show no loss on the scale even after complete water fasts. However, they most always feel a difference in how their clothes are fitting and just generally feel better. So please don’t give up hope yet. Continue on. I know for myself, although much heavier than you, the 5:2 has been a God send. If you stick with it, it will work for you.. it’s just slower for some than others. It’s a slow and steady way to lose weight… something I think a lot of us who have tried the get slim quick route have had a hard time with. If you stick with it it will work… it has for me and so many more. Good luck and chin up 🙂

Hi,

Firstly, 10 days isn’t very long as 5:2 isn’t a quick fix and the average loss for women is only 1lb per week.You say that you’ve stuck to TDEE and also mention that you’ve not been exercising. Did you include your usual exercise in your TDEE calculation? If you did that small margin could be what has made the difference between losing and staying the same.
    If you feel bloated and your face looks puffy, maybe you are retaining fluid which can happen for many reasons, including during the healing process if you have an injury. Anti inflammatories and other medications can also cause temporary fluid retention.

Keep at it and I’m sure that if you are not overeating your weight will start to move in the right direction.
    I suggest that you take some measurements too as they often change when the scales don’t move and can be encouragement that it is working.

You haven’t mentioned what you eat so I would suggest keeping away from processed carbs and sugar and ensuring you eat plenty of vegetables, some fresh whole fruit, protein and full fat yoghurt and milk to ensure you are getting all the nutrients yourbody needs.

I hope this helps. Don’t be disappointed, give yourself a pat on the back for trying to do something about your weight and most importantly be patient as 5:2 works if it is done properly.

Hi Pommychick, I have just come across your post and sympathise with your predicament. You mention having been on medication and having a bloated stomach. I am not a medical person but have done the 5:2 off and on since 2013 and at present have lost 8 lb since the beginning of Aug. 3 days ago I spoke to a Clinical Nutritionalist about my diet exploring ways to improve my health and prevent future health problems, (I am a 68 yr old male and grumpy to boot.) From the many things she spoke about the main issue is the good and bad bacteria in your gut which should be aprox 80% good and 20% bad. A lot of health issues depend on good gut bacteria. It seems that certain medication can kill off all bacteria in your gut including Anti Biotics and Anti histameen tablets. It may be that your previous medication may have had a negative impact on your gut. One option is to check with your doctor re side effects or failing that seek out a clinical nutritionalist to check you out. My suggestion is only based on my experience and it may be way off the mark and I hope things improve for you weight wise.
    Good Luck.

Pommychic…you have all my sympathy and understanding!

I am on meds that have – ‘may cause weight gain’ as a listed side-effect…and for ‘may’ read ‘definitely will!’….add to this another med which causes ‘munchies’ (thankfully not one I take regularly!) …and regular prescriptions of steroids which cause bloating….I know exactly what you are going through!

But you can still do this!

I find it helps to go low-carbohydrate on a fast day….it seems to help with the bloating. And try and stay away from fizzy pop – even the diet ones…another thing that can make me bloat.

Plan activities for a fast day…that can help you stick to the fast….I am unable to exercise, but if you can manage it, light exercise on a fast day may help you keep goal focussed….Personally, I keep my fingers busy with needlework!

Look for non-scales victories….I met friends this past week….and the sheer joy of wearing jeans!

The main advice I would give….is stick with it!…5:2 works! I still find it amazing that I am losing weight (and so much….over the years!)

Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to reply. I really do appreciate it. I get comfort in knowing that I am not the only one who has been on weight gain medication. The problem I have is that I have set myself some mini goals to set myself some motivation and I have also joined a Biggest Loser Competition at work ( my workplace’s attempt to promote wellbeing and healthy eating etc) so whilst I understand that the weight will not shift overnight and I need to be patient, that was the other reason why I was so frustrated to not see a loss. Particularly during the first week when I drop weight really easily and quickly at the start of a new diet plan and especially after having come back off holiday!

Amazon in answer to your queries, i calculated my TDEE at sedentary level as I cannot do much exercise at the moment which works out to be just over 1600 cals. On fast days, I eat homemade soup made with fresh vegetables, protein shakes which are low fat and low carb and then I have had salads with some sort of protein like chicken or salmon. I do save myself some calories for a small bit of chocolate in the evening with a cuppa. I try and wait until lunchtime to eat and if I am hungry during the day, I will have some miso soup.

Couscous you have given me something to think about. Thank you.

I will give it another week and plough on!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.