Can the body get accustomed to fasting?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Can the body get accustomed to fasting?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Can the body get so accustomed to fasting, that the wheightloss stops? And that the fasting is necessary to even maintaining the wheight?

I don’t believe so. Although fasting may get easier over time, the body never stops being affected by it. The biggest obstacle with fasting over time, is that the body attempts to maintain the same weight, so we tend to eat more and more on our “regular” eating days, so in that way, weight loss can halt. For your second question: fasting is not necessary to maintain weight. The body more or less maintains its weight naturally. We tend to gain weight over time simply because occasionally over indulging is much easier and more pleasurable that under indulging. Fasting just helps to allow the occasional over indulgence while maintaining the same weight. If you don’t like the idea of fasting long term, just have a weight range to maintain. For example, 180-190 lbs (your numbers may be different). If you ever reach 190 lbs, start the 5:2 diet again full swing until you reach your low point again. I find this allows the best of both worlds. Enjoying big hearty meals, not worrying if the scale starts rising again, and then, because this diet is so easy, I know the weight will fall off quickly when I reach my set point. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.
    Maybe I need to explain more 🙂 I have done fasting for nearly 2 years – not the entire time, but most of the time. I love fasting, what it does for my body, and the fasting has allways been easy for me.

The first two months I lost 4kg from 70kg to 66kg. The next year the weight stayed the same, with smaller ups and downs. But over the summer my weight has reached 70kg again. The last 6 weeks I did, what I would concider the right thing with 2 fasting days a week, kcal counting on feasting days (calculated from this site) and daily excercise, but my weight is still 70kg, and no cm lost either. I am only 163 cm high, and my goal weigh is approx 62kg.

So, can the body get so accustomed to fasting, that I will not experience further weightloss, but even wheightgaining in spite of fasting? Maybe because I’m a woman?

Hi damgaard and welcome:

The body does not get ‘used to’ fasting. As long as you eat less than you use, you lose weight.

As you have been gaining weight, that means you have been eating more than you use.

The answer is not in the ‘fasting’, it is in the ‘eating’. You probably need to eat less than you have been on your non diet days.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. You might read the one on ‘Plateaus’.

Good Luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.