Calling all Petite Ladies of a Certain Age with less than 20 lbs. to lose!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Calling all Petite Ladies of a Certain Age with less than 20 lbs. to lose!

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Kathieannie 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Petite (5’1″) woman “of a certain age” who started the 5:2 and am now in week 7. In 6 weeks I lost 5 lbs.! For the past 2 though, I have plateaued but I am soldiering on! I would like to lose about 5 to 7 lbs. more, ideally. I did this diet with my husband a few years ago and it definitely worked, but I kept thinking I didn’t need todo maintenance to keep the weight off. I got lazy and guess how that turned out? Known fact that women (especially) gain weight with age alone. I had foot surgery recently and reached “critical mass” (sitting around and couldn’t walk for 2 weeks) so I began again. Easiest diet in the world for me to follow and I feel SO much better already. Would love to hear from anyone who has tips for us petite types–I swear it is harder/takes longer to lose!

Hi Mamma,
    It is harder for petite ls who don’t have a lot to lose. Well at least it seems that way to me. But then again, it would be much more daunting if I had more to lose.

I am 5’3″. Been doing this since March. Lost ten pounds the first 9 weeks and then plateaued at 140. Now I’ve started skipping breakfast on the other days. So 5:2 plus 16:8. Also, my tdee is very low, 1475, so one quarter of that is 350 or so, not 500! I just am trying to do the full two days with No solid food, only water, coffee, tea, with splashes of cream. I finally seem to be breaking thaw plateau. It is work though!

I try to remember that I’m also working on my insulin resistance which is greatly helped by IF, so even when I’m not losing I’m doing good for my health.

I have a small frame, so I really need to get down to like 115, but I’m pushing for 130 by my birthday in September. Then I’ll set a new goal.

Recalculate your tdee and then eat only 1/4 of that for fasting days. Then think about maybe skipping a few other meals throughout the week, or lowering carbs or calories on non fasting days.

Keep me posted!
    Ellen

Thanks for the tips ladies. I bought the book recently and decided to give the diet a go. Over the past couple of years, the pounds have gradually crept on and trousers are uncomfortably snug. It does seem like a post-menopausal issue as I’ve always been fairly active.

I am 5’1″ with a medium frame, starting at 9st 1 (127 lbs), hoping to get down to my usual 8st 7lbs (119 lbs). This diet may be challenging as I have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia (not diabetes) and do best on high-protein foods. Does anyone have tips on combating the mid-afternoon slump? I’d normally have a handful of nuts but they’re off the menu.

I read about TDEE and am not sure whether I can manage on a quarter of 1517 calories a day, is this essential?

All advice very welcome!

Moominmama

If you do best on high protein foods why are nuts off the menu? Almonds have only about 7% carbs, mostly fat and protein. Brazil nuts the same. Walnuts only about 4% carbs, rest protein and fat.

If you have been putting on weight then you’ve been eating more than you need to eat. How fast do you want to lose weight? If you eat a 1/4 of your TDEE two times a week then you will be in deficit to the tune of 2275 cals for the week. 9.3 cals per gram of fat. 2275 / 9.3 = 0.244 kg or about 0.5 pounds lost. Since you have reactive hypoglycaemia Im assuming you already limit your simple carbs and sugar intake? So no breads, pasta, rice potatoes etc? If this is the case it shouldn’t be too much of a change for you, just tweak how much you have 2 days per week.

Mid afternoon slumps are usually associated with sugar/simple carb intake? Which puzzles me since your on a high protein diet? The longer you can do 5:2 for the better your liver will become at accessing stored fats.

Drink LOTS of water on your fast days.

Interesting about the TDEE, and very depressing! I am not sure I could cut my calories to 370 on the “fast” days but I think I may have to give it a try. I normally don’t eat breakfast so cutting other meals out during the week wouldn’t work. I think what is going on for me is that I need to eat healthier on my regular days–like you all have said–more protein than carbs. I really don’t count calories. On my fast days I am very good at that but not so great in between. Ellen915 I could not do your regimen which is really a true fast it sounds like.

Speaking of the afternoon slump–I don’t really experience that. I’m thinking Moominmama93 was saying the handful of nuts being off the table, on the fast days, was not due to the nuts but actually having the snack itself, right? (which is not recommended) On my “restrict” (since it isn’t really a fast) days, I don’t eat my first meal until about 11:00 am–300 calories, and then if I get hungry at all before dinner, I either have a diet Dr. Pepper or a cup of coffee. Keeping active (not necessarily physically) helps distract me. Then I have my 200 calorie meal between 4 and 5, followed by a big cup of hot tea and then that’s it for the night. Moominmama 93 sounds pretty much like my body type too–I started at 129 and am now down to ~ 124 but I feel stuck here. I am presently in Oxford UK for the week and should be doing much more walking and I hope that might help a bit. Planning to return to my exercise Barre classes when I go home, now that my foot is healed.

I jus thave to say that it really is the age thing that has just HALTED my metabolism and it is just simply harder to lose weight when you are small and only have 10 to 15 to lose. I would just like to be below 120 and I will feel good about myself as that is when that beachball that perpetually sits on my lap when I drive, seems to go away! Soldier on ladies!

I have found the weight creeping on since I reached a certain age, until I hit 154 lbs into the obese BMI and decided enough is enough! I have progressive MS and mobility issues, so exercise options are limited. So what to do? Fatigue is also a big problem and I can’t manage a fast more than once a week. But I did find the basal metabolic measurement very useful. I decided if I keep to that with the aid of a food diary for say 8 weeks, get some weight off, change my eating habits especially the carbs & sugar, I might feel more positive about myself. Then if I could move up to a more realistic daily intake and bring the fast in one day a week, it might work. Well I’m 8 weeks in and have lost 9 pounds and feeling great. So now into phase 2, upping the daily intake and bringing in a one day fast. I think the biggest thing this has done for me is change my attitude to food as I tended to see I it as comfort, particularly the cake and biscuits if I was having a bad day. I’ve also swopped supermarket to a cut price outlet which has allowed me to eat much more fresh fish and veg, which had been difficult on a limited budget. So what am I saying, I suppose whatever works for you. I know it’s early days and as winter creeps in it’s going to get more difficult, wish me luck!

I am 5’2″ and 1/2. My weight had crept up, too, through pure overindulgence and wine. A recent visit to Ireland saw me on 11st 4lbs, heavier than my pregnancies.

My daughter had done 5:2 successfully and passed on the ‘bible’. We took it on board and found that we’ve reeducated ourselves. I have gone off simple carbs completely and don’t have a huge appetite now. As Michael says, much of our eating is from habit.

I don’t eat breakfast, two coffees do me, then I’ll have porridge at 1pm or so. When I’m really busy, the time flies by and I don’t notice that I haven’t eaten.

Now 137.4. ( on American scales at my son’s place)

I’m 5′ 1″ and started this way of life in March. I’ve gone from 130-131 to 120. A 10 to a 6. Ideally, I’d like to be 117-118 but at 120, everything I had put aside as too tight now fits. I’m wearing beautiful clothes to work that people have never seen….like shopping in my closet.

I generally fast on Mondays and Thursday. Monday has become so automatic.

And I’ll be 61 in December

K-Lo you sound like my diet doppelganger. So I started 5:2, 8 weeks ago. I am in Oxford presently doing LOTS of walking/cycling and not fasting this week but you have given me inspiration to stay the course! I fast always on Mondays and either Thursday or Friday. I will be back on track next week and keep you posted. Thanks to all the lovely ladies posting here. All comments, suggestions, feedback WELCOME!

So glad to see this thread! Just starting and I am 5’1″ and 141. I don’t need to tell you guys how this weight shows up 10x worse on my petite frame. I fasted on Sunday and plan to fast again on Friday.

In the past year, I’ve cut way down on carbs and sugar, and embracing fats. (butter, avocados, bacon, mayo, etc.) I also try to keep it as close to whole foods as possible. It is hard to do, but once you get into it, the cravings disappear and I feel so much better. I also think my skin looks a lot better when I am off of sugar. (I may be biased…but I still use if for motivation for staying the course.)

All your stories and losses are very inspiring!

Liz in San Diego

Lovely to hear about all your successes and challenges. Just finished my first proper day after a dry run on Sunday. It really wasn’t too bad after all – apart from a constant desire to wee and an embarrassing rumbly tummy in the middle of a meeting. Had coffee for breakfast and stuck to salad and roasted veg with a bit of mozzarella for protein = 501 calories for the day according to My Fitness Pal. People say MFP isn’t that accurate and some of the calculations on there definitely look like wishful thinking. Nevertheless keeping a record of your food for the day like Told recommended must help with portion control. I think the trick is to keep occupied so I will stick to my busiest days at work and be very careful during the rest of the week.

Thanks for your advice, BigBooty. I don’t want to lose weight that fast but it would be so nice to feel comfy round the waist in size 10 jeans again (US 6 I think). Mammagatti, you were right about the nuts, they are for me like chocolate for most people and once started I’m a complete addict, so out they go on IF days. You’re lucky with the weather in the UK this week, perfect for cycling and no rain for once (ssshhh..)

Good luck ladies, keep it up and let us know how you get on!

Hi; I’m 5ft 2 and need to lose 7lbs. It’s not a lot but it’s a stubborn few that I don’t want. Only just started 5:2 and on my 2nd fast day. I’m really hoping this will shift it and I am going to stick to my TDEE on the otherdays (well that’s the plan). I want my clothes to feel comfortable again- without breathing in- when you’re only petite it feels like every pound counts πŸ™

X

I am 5’1 and started 5:2 at 9 st 8. Far too high and BMI over 25. Trousers were all too tight and my middle looked really big. I looked pregnant and felt stuffed and bloated.

All diets stopped working for me, no matter how much I cut my calories or how much I exercised. Thought I had nothing to lose by trying 5:2. Result!! Weight has finally started to drop and I hope to reach the 8 stone region at least (used to be 8 st 3)

Glad to see there are a lot of us out there. I seem to have hit a plateau with this plan, which is shocking because I was doing well but I can’t seem to get below ~125. Could this be my natural set point? I hope not because as others have pointed out, when you have a petite frame (and an apple shape), all that extra weight seems to be in the middle. So frustrating. Well at least knowing that I stick to 500 cal, 2 days a week, is better than not, and that is a comfort. But seriously, I think my body has figured out how to hold on to the pounds. When I have done this diet before, I felt really “flat” and light the day after a fast but now I still have a bulge the day after and it is disappointing. Well today is a new week and I will get back on the plan, fasting Tues & Fri this week. I do like the flexibility πŸ™‚ BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO ARE STICKING WITH IT AND LOSING!!

I went off the wagon for 2 weeks and enjoyed a pasta or three🍜 on holiday. We were active walking lots though. Delighted to see am 8st 12lbs (124lbs) 3lbs down from my starting weight, so back to business. Keep plugging on ladies.

Hi Everyone,

Its good to know that I’m not alone out there. I’ve tried really hard to lose that extra stone or so by jogging and cutting all sugar from my diet. All with no result. At 5.1 with a weight of 67 kilo my BMI was coming up at 27, although I do have a large frame with muscular calves from lots of walking. I was so envious of my sister who looks just as chubby as I do but is an inch or so taller with a small frame and has a BMI of 24.

Following a bereavement recently I skipped lots of meals and lost my appetite and noticed that my weight had dropped a few pounds. I did some research online to see if missing meals could help with weight loss and came up with the fast diet, so I sent for the book. I’ve now completed the first week and have managed to lose 2lb. I am delighted.

The only trouble is I’m finding that I have no energy especially on the day after my fast. Ive not had the energy to continue with my jogging either. But perhaps its early days and I should give it time.

On the plus side my sleep, which was appalling, has improved no end. Also I’m finding that I seem to be having fewer hot flushes than I did before! When I think of all the medication I tried that didn’t help!

Well here I am. Brand new to the 5:2, but love the concept.

I’m 5ft tall and up to 145lbs. 16lb increase in the past 4 years. At age 54 I’m struggling with menopause, belly fat and anxiety over it all.

My TDEE is about 1400 calories. I am sugar sensitive in that if I have a bit I can’t stop, so I would like to cut out the sugar, rice, pasta. I’m not a big bread eater, but do like Ezekial now and again.

I’m nervous. Scared of failing and having my weight continue to climb. All the comments I’m reading are very inspiring though. So I’m hopeful. I know it’s all up to me.

How often do ya’ll weight yourselves. Did anyone have immense cravings in the beginning?

Hi Long2beMe
    You have come to the right place to start your journey! There is loads of support on all the forums, which I have found really helpful.

I have been through the menopause and understand what it can be like. I wish I had found this site earlier as my health and weight have improved so much and my hot flushes have reduced substantially. My mood and anxiety levels are also hugely better. I can honestly say I feel better now than I have done for years! I have less stiffness and feel more energetic. I sleep much more soundly. This diet has worked so much better than any of the pills the doctor gave me. (Do check with your GP if you are on lots of meds though before you stop taking anything.)

I found cutting down on starchy carbs was really beneficial. Yes the first week or so was the worse. I felt weak the day after the fast day in particular. I also had headaches for a bit. Once I got into the habit of fasting I didn’t find it hard at all. I tended to just have all my calories in one meal in the evening, but as I have a sedentary job this was ok for me. I have lost over half a stone in the last three months and kept it off while on holiday too. I was finding my appetite has adjusted itself, so I wasn’t wanting to eat between meals. I’m eating less and saving money too.

I try not to weigh myself too often as it can vary a lot from day to day. Once it went up which was very dis heartening. But the health benefits have been so huge for me and so has the fact that I am into my smallest size jeans again! I have only a couple of kilos to lose to reach my target now!

Good luck, and be patient and gentle with yourself.

Kathieannie,
    Thanks so much for your post. It gives me hope. I too, suffer from anxiety, and my jeans went from a 4/6 three years ago to a 10 now. It sucks. I’m so excited that I found this site and can see from reading a ton of posts last night, that there is so much support. I love that!!

Good for you for becoming healthy. I am not on any meds other than bio-identical hormones as I was having a hot flash every hour and not sleeping. For me it’s really about the sugar. I just can’t have the stuff and yet I look for ways to bake and get around it and really, it all boils down to just eating too much and the wrong things. I have a Diploma in Holistic Nutrition and yet here I am, struggling. I’ve run 2 Marathons (at age 44 and 50) and have a gym in my home and yet I struggle.

You can lead a horse to water… yadda yadda yadda…… lol

I got this! I’m excited and feel motivated for the first time in a very long time. The success stories, like yours, inspire me πŸ™‚

Good I’m glad you are feeling motivated Long2beme. The great thing about this diet is that you can still have nice things from time to time. Before I was running twice a week and cutting out all sugar and still not loosing weight. But on my non fast days I can now have the occasional piece of cake, glass of wine or chocolate. I tend to find I dont want to overindulge as much either. I also enjoy my food so much more. Everything tastes so good now.
    I too had hot flushes every hour for ages. My sleep was so bad I often had only a couple of hours a night. Nothing worked. I tried conventional HRT and developed migraines and was told I couldn’t ever have HRT again. None of the herbal treatment I tried worked and the other things my GP gave me made me feel ill.
    This diet works with your body and not against it as so many other diets appear to do. Once you crack your bodies dependency on carbs for fuel and help it to burn fat instead you find the missing piece in the puzzle. I always wondered why I felt so good after exercise, it energizes me, and I always wondered if there was a way to feel like that all the time. This diet appears to have cracked it for me. I’ve also added in some good probiotic foods and evening primrose oil and multivitamins and minerals. I take D3 in the winter months too.
    Congratulations on completing 2 marathons! You could be doing more yet!

Kathieannie, What does a typical day look like for you, food wise? What “fills” you up? Protein or fat? I remember back in the 80’s fat was feared like the plague. Now it’s carbs. I hope I find some balance on this program. Accountability is definitely the key for me.

Hi Long2beMe,
    On my fast days I tend to have a salad with chicken or fish and include some sauerkraut which I make myself from an recipe on line for Indian spiced sauerkraut. I tend to have lots of variety in the salad too. I find the protein keeps me going and if I need a drink before bed I tend to have a glass of milk.

On Non fast days, I have salads, stews, etc but have cut the carbs by about half I think, adding in a bit more protein and a bit more good fats. I tend not to count calories too much on non fast days, but let my improved appetite be my guide to some extent. I tend not to eat for the sake of it, but wait til in truly hungry. If Ive been out for a big meal I find I don’t want to eat for ages afterwards so sometimes skip meals on non fast days too. I intend to watch this though when I get down to my goal as I dont want to be underweight either.

I guess for breakfast I tend to have a combination of greek yoghurt, fruit nuts or porridge oats. Some times I soak the oats overnight in water and add dried fruit to it. Its lovely with grated apple and a dollop of full fat greek yoghurt the next day. I sometimes have a main meal at lunchtime as I dont like to eat too much in the evening. This could be a stew with a slice of toast or a big salad with protein and a small helping of rice. For tea I might have soup or salad if I didn’t have it at lunch, or a small sandwich. I buy gluten free bread so the slices are small as I dont get on with wheat very well. This sounds a bit boring so Im sure you could improve on it. But I have a great variety of foods in my salads so they arent really. Prett a mange really inspire me when it comes to salads! I might have a chocolate or two after my main meal, but tend not to have desserts or snacks.
    Hope this helps. Everyone is so different though and has very different energy needs.
    Good luck.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply.