Better than the 8 hour diet?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nomagicpill90 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hey everyone!

I’m new, and new to forums in general, but just wanted to say hi and ask if anyone has tried the 8 hour diet, too? I tried that for a month with absolutely NO results! I followed it completely, no cheating. Is this 5:2 diet more successful in your guys’ opinions?

Thanks!

welcome nomagicpill90

was tempted 2 do 8hr

however the 5/2 4/3

is what is working

click on some names & u will c their adventures
    success 2 u

I’ve never even heard of the 8 hour diet! I’m just starting the 5:2 diet (one fast day yesterday so I’m on a ‘normal’ day today) but I know it does work as long as you don’t go too wild on non-fasting days.

I’m not very experienced with forums either so, in more ways than one – you are not alone.

I’ve just joined too but from what I’ve seen so far there is a lot of friendly support to help you through, answer questions etc so you’ve come to the right place.

Good luck!

I have not tried the 8 hour plan. One month is not a long time for any of these type of ‘diets’ (8 hours, fast-to-five, 5:2) since they work (partly) by changing our attitude to food and make us cut down on number of meals.

You will find many 5:2’er who did not see a major weight loss the first month. If you click on my name and then favorites you will find the post ‘managing expectations’ which may be useful reading.

If you are well established on the 8 hour diet, why not continue, but perhaps add in a calorie-limit of 500/600 calories on one or two days a week?

I did what was essentially the 8 hr diet for a couple of years, but it was ad hoc and not very rigorous and I also dramatically reduced my fat intake at the same time. I didn’t weigh myself very regularly either as this was mostly about improving blood numbers, but when I did weigh in, I found I’d been losing about 2 pounds per month (and since I’ve been weighing more frequently, I find that my weight varies by ~3 pounds per day so a month for me would be hard to measure on that diet). Weight loss was something I’d given up on years ago, but I lost ~35 pounds before plateauing and my blood numbers all improved very much, so I’m high on fasting.

Then I heard about this and since I started in late May, Ive lost an additional ~18 pounds. I’m mostly still doing the 8 hr diet too if it’s convenient, and I still try to stay low fat and low glycemic index. I still need to lose at least 10 pounds and I keep expecting to plateau again, but so far so good. My doctor can hardly believe it.

Just to let you know that Im not really suffering. I do sometimes eat fair amounts of cheese or a bacon sandwich or something pretty bad at a restaurant. Actually, not all that infrequently. To me, that’s the great thing about fasting, it’s extreme enough to make up for eating the things you love. I know that if I eat more, I’ll have to fast more (and it’s hard), so I’m careful about it, but I like to enjoy life and I do.

Wow thanks for all the thorough responses! This really is a great community to share ideas and experiences. As far as going back to the 8 hour diet, i actually found it difficult to fit into my day because I am up for very long hours, and i need the energy food provides. However, the 5:2 appeals to me because I can do it on my slower, down days, and then am able to eat regularly on my off days. roseberry, congrats that’s amazing progress! I think this diet will work well for everyone once it becomes part of an established routine. As part of the 8 hour diet, the dieters were told to ‘respect the window’ and i think the same goes for this. It is important to accept that the 2 fast days are what they are and respect that and leave it be, knowing full well that we can eat well again tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone! Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.