Been ill and unable to fast :(

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Been ill and unable to fast :(

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Buttonboots 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• As per my initial introduction posting was a previous 5:2 user and lost over 3 stone, but then my eating had crept up and I stopped losing, but was maintaining instead.
    I wanted to restart in Jan and actually lost 5lb over the first few weeks of the year.

Then I got a cold that settled on my chest and got worse and worse and set off a series of asthma attacks. Spent Feb in and out of hospital and at the doctors on nebulisers, a series of strong antibiotics, several xrays to monitor fluid on my chest, increased dosages of my existing drugs and courses of strong pill steriods and lots of bed rest.

So tbh the last thing I was thinking about was fasting, plus the streroids increase appetite anyway. Finally starting to feel normal again so am going to restart next week.

So stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in about 6 wks and although I have put on some weight its only just over 3 lbs which I don’t think is too bad.

Does anyone else have health issues that mean they have to stop dieting for periods and come back to it later?

Wish me luck for next week 🙂

Ali x

Hi Ali,

I empathise with you. I’m finally getting over flu and am starting my fasting regime again tomorrow. I guess there will always be reasons why folks stop and start their weight loss journeys. The important thing is that we get back on track and carry on.

All the best.

SC

I have had issues in the past year where it wasn’t advisable to fast for a couple weeks, lung issues, pneumonia, fluid buildup, etc Dr. advised no fasting and I went along with it for a week. Didn’t show any improvement even with massive antibiotic doses and steroids. I truly felt lousy and didn’t want to eat any way.

I thought it was better if I did fast and we had a discussion and he relented and I did a 5 day fast which actually seemed to improve my health very quickly. or it could have been the antibiotics and steroids kicked in. But I got better right quickly.

Now first sign of a cold I go on a 3 day fast. I fast for health not weight loss, the weight loss is just a benefit of fasting for health.

Hi Ali!

I have a number of health issues (some of which mean I unable to work, so am on Disability)

There are times when I find fasting is not an option.

Often it is short term – one of the meds I take makes me really hungry – and hungry for carbs!…thankfully it is not one that I take every day! If I need to take that particular medication then I KNOW I cannot fast the next day, so rejig the week and fast on a different day.

Then there are times when I find certain warning signs are there in the body – (after living with this a lifetime I am learning to spot the signs!) and I know that it is going to be a rough week for me. Then I am sometimes happy to accept no weight loss – I take one day for a fast and this means I have a fair chance of not gaining weight either.

But there are times when it is a case of just accepting heath issues are going to mean the 5:2 will not be a main priority. I was in hospital a couple of years ago, on IV antibiotics and feeling really rough. When I cam out of hospital, it wasn’t to go home, but to stay with Mum for a week or so until I was strong enough to live alone and take care of myself again (or as much as I ever do!)….Seriously, my weight was not top of my agenda back then. I accepted that I would put on a few pounds and that I would lose them again- which I did!

I guess that what I am saying, is that you need to listen to your body. Antibiotics and steroids have taken a lot out of you – well done on having just a minor gain and for getting back into the mind-set for dealing with it! Make sure that whatever you eat is nutrion-dense – you have been ill and nee to build up the body’s natural defences again….and to that end, when taking a course of antibiotics, I usually like to eat joghurt (natural is best – maybe with some fruit/honey/nuts) to replace the ‘good’ bacteria in my gut.

best of luck!
    buttonboots

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.