August Aspirations 2021 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
August Aspirations 2021 Challenge

This topic contains 390 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Daffodil2010 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 395 total)

• What do you aspire to? Perhaps it’s large, like wealth or fame. Perhaps it’s small, like a good night’s sleep. But whether it’s large or small, or somewhere between, we all aspire to be the best we can, don’t we? And that “best” includes a healthy body–a healthy body that’s reasonably thin, fit, and able to help us accomplish whatever our life involves.

This group does the same thing. By encouraging and informing, we help each other achieve a healthy body, whatever “healthy” looks like for each of us. Please join us as we spend the month of August aspiring to ever greater health.

The first challenge was started by @coda in May 2016. Any and all are welcome to join, at any point in the month you choose; when you let us know you’ve joined, we’ll gladly welcome you. Here’s the information you’ll need for your posts, and to understand everyone else:

1. Start your daily post with the day of the month, where you are from, and if you’re on a fast day (FD); a non-fast day (NFD) or a controlled day (CD) (e.g. for the 8th of the month it would go something like “Day 8 – UK – FD”–this is only a calendar reference, not where you are on your 5:2 journey).

2. Give a quick intro about yourself in the very first post – mostly for the benefit of the newbies. A brief blurb about your journey so far and what you aim get from this way of life (WOL). Also if you wish, your starting weight and any other measurements (waist, hip, bust, etc.) you aim to keep track of throughout the month. You can record this on the spread sheet or if you are unable to, someone is likely to volunteer to fill it in for you!

3. You can add any comments/questions/moans/whinges/triumphs… or anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of the forum. We all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon and days when we hang in there for dear life…so if you want to share it – post it.

Recipes, tips, tricks and questions can also be shared – most of us are logged on at one time or another and can clarify things, offer advice, support, etc., when needed – this is the great thing about this international forum: there’s always someone online!!!!

Over the course of these monthly challenges, there have been small groups doing their own mini-challenges – called ‘pocket fasters’ or ‘pocketeers’ – they set a target and support each other through it. Anyone can join one of these groups or start a mini pocket fast – it’s entirely optional and flexible.

5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

ABBREVIATION LIST
    Here’s the list of common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:

16:8 – 16 hours fasting 8 hours eating window
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal Metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (below your goal weight TDEE, eg 1000 calories)
    DAFD – Day after fast day
    DH,DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son etc
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting alcohol to weekend only)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days – or several!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day (800 calories) – see also MFD
    HUNGER DRAGON – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

@stitchincarol – I’m definitely in for August and am very happy to help with providing a spreadsheet for the August Aspirations 2021 Challenge

Here is the link with hopefully access to all who want to use it
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1suNOV6fpP5jRuJ3thuUtlbr1GnROtvntc5EPTNmTE5M/edit?usp=sharing

August Aspirations — love the alliteration, @stitchincarol — I am in! Thanks so much for agreeing to take us on for August.

Thank you for hosting, @stitchincarol! I am in for this!

I am a 49-year-old with three kids in college. I work full time. I spent all my extra hours during the pandemic fixing up our home. My husband and I took advantage of our area’s seller’s market and sold the home and many of our belongings. Then, we turned around a bought a crusty little condo in disrepair. It’s a fun adventure, but we really have our hands full.

Too many afternoons/evenings painting and drinking wine this past year…plus, middle age…have led me back to the 5:2 gang. I took my focus off health and nutrition. My particular body type offers little forgiveness and is down right obnoxious in its need to be the center of my attention.

I look forward to learning and being inspired and encouraged by everyone’s journey. I will do my best to offer encouragement as well.

Thank you for hosting @stitchincarol. I am in for August. Love the title and looking forward to all that this month has to offer.

“Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy” Guillaume Appollinaire

Hi there looking forward to seeing you all in August. Thank you @stitchincarol and @at for setting up the challenge and spreadsheet 👍.
    I’ll aspire to use both 👍

Count me in please @stitchincarol. Thanks again for hosting, & thank you to @at for the spreadsheet.

Count me in please, for August. And thanks v much for hosting, @stitchincarol. Looking forward to a good month.

Count me in too! Unfortunately I gained 3 lbs last month so I aspire this month to lose 4.

Thanks @stitchincarol for hosting – LOVE the title. 💗

Really looking forward to being here next month. I really lost the plot during the pandemic as far as food and wine are concerned and gained a bunch of weight very quickly. Last month my only goal was to get back to healthier eating and normal portions, still working on the vino so will be aiming for DTF this month. I managed to lose 1.2kgs last month so am feeling like I am getting back on the wagon, I do love this WOL and the challenges.

Thanks for being our leader @stichincarol!!!

Day <1> – Rural Nebraska, USA

I’m a 62yo female, 5’4″ (well, I was, now I’m 5’3″) and I used to be reasonably thin at around 132/60 more or less naturally, until I reached menopause and two huge 500 mile moves and a change of career for my DH that required four years of schooling. At my highest, I’ve weighed 166/75, and I’ve been yo-yo-ing for almost twenty years. I’m currently 153/70 and determined to get down again at least to 137/62; at that point, my BMI will be around 24, the clothes I love will still fit me acceptably, a few will fit me again, and I can decide if there’s a prayer’s chance of getting down further or if it’s time to accept a higher weight. I used to aim for 132/60 or even 125, but I think that’s been massively overwhelming to me subconsciously, so I’m choosing to cut myself some slack and aim for the higher number now and then reassess.

My typical approach to any project is to set lots of goals, and ambitious goals. This month? My only aspiration involves succeeding on FDs and being reasonable on NFDs. That approach will mimic my behavior back when I was 132/60.

So, for August, I aspire to do a true 5:2.

That’s it. No exercise goals. No MFP goals. No CD or FD800 goals. Just a basic–and true–5:2.

What do you aspire to in August?

Day 0 – USA/GA

I am a 46 y/o male in northeast Georgia in the US, and have lost 56-59 lbs since January 2020, the overwhelming amount of which has been thanks to 5:2. My goal is to lose an additional 65-70 lbs to get to a mid-range healthy weight (although truthfully, if I get to the high end of “healthy”, I’ll be thrilled). I am also hoping to no longer be categorized as “obese” before the end of the year. This month, my goal remains 217, but more than anything, to get into the 210s. I plan to do this by sticking to a basic 5:2 WOL with mindful eating on most NFDs.

Day 1 UK NFD

Hello all , I’m a 59 year old living in Brighton on the English South Coast ( although originally from Yorkshire) I joined Coda on the first challenge and successfully lost the extra 20 or so pounds I’d accumulated ,happily maintained but got complacent and somehow over a fairly short period put most of it back on , I’ve managed to lose most of it and I’m reasonably happy with my weight ( my shape is causing me issues but it may be an age thing and I may have to accept it ) I’d like to lose another 3-4lbs and I think that will do , although sticking at that weight will be another challenge

I’ve learnt so much through these challenges and I really do think my current good health is a direct result of the ( mainly) healthy diet I’ve adopted, looking forward to August , thank you so much for guiding us @stitchincarol

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

About me:- David, 59. Originally from Manchester in the UK, living in Kwazulu-Natal, on the east coast of South Africa. I started fasting in 2014 after seeing Michael Mosley’s ‘Eat, Fast & Live Longer’ documentary. I follow TRE, seldom eating before noon. I do mostly 5:2, never eating before 6 pm on FDs & I will sometimes do an extra FD if I’ve taken my eye off the ball.

This month I plan on losing 1.5 kgs, which will put me back at the ideal weight I was late last year before I fell off the fasting wagon.

Wishing everyone a successful month! 🎯

Day 1 UK NFD

Hello all I’m a 59 F living in Brighton on the English south coast , originally from Leeds so celebrating Yorkshire Day today

I joined Coda on the first challenge and lost the 20 or so additional pounds I’d accumulated Happily maintained for a few years then whoosh a few too many celebrations and holidays and in a very short time put those pesky 20lbs back on

I’m fairly happy with my weight – my shapes another issue but I realise it’s an age thing and I may have to accept 😡

To give myself some wiggle room I’d like to shed 3-4 lbs and that’s this months aim

I’ve learnt so much on these challenges and if nothing else I truly believe my current good health is a direct result of the healthy diet I’ve adopted ( I can’t polish the halo too much I do have the occasional lapse but the aren’t on the scale they used to be )

Looking forward to our August challenge and thank you so much @stitchincarol for guiding us

I’ll be joining the fasters tomorrow morning and aiming for a back to basics month

Day 1 OMAD London

@brightonbelle -Leeds!! I’m from Huddersfield. Leeds was our go to place for Christmas shopping when I was a child – our nearest big city I guess. And I still love Leeds, and have several nieces and nephews who have studied and live there. I didn’t know it was Yorkshire day today. Yippee.

Good luck to everybody in the forum for August.

Day 1 Canada 🇨🇦 NFD

Good morning everybody. I’m a recently retired 60 yr old F and I live on the east coast of Canada. Over the past year or so I lost 30 lbs and I still have 5 more to go to reach my goal. Looking forward to a brand new month and I would be thrilled if I could lose 3-4 lbs. I’m going back to 5:2 basics. FD tomorrow. Take care all.

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. I feel liberated. I am returning to a pure 5:2 and am so happy to have more NFDs. Of course the trick is to not gobble down huge amounts of junk food and triple portions on most of those days. Yesterday was … meh… I actually did good at meal times, but overdid the snacking. Today has started out better. I’m trying for healthier, filling options with fiber, protein, and vitamins and drinking lots of water. I think I’m going to be full through lunch and not have another bite until mid-afternoon. A slice of pita with hummus, and a bowl of bean soup have satisfied the dragon.

Day 1 – USA – NFD

I am Gwynne, 73 y.o. Woman, retired school music teacher. Once we are able to sing again, I will be involved with our local townspeople choir. I am on the board of our newly opened Children’s Museum of our town, small city in NW Illinois. Still do occasional church piano playing and piano teaching. My DH is 74, we have 4 children 40 to 50 years old and 4 granddaughters 13 to 21. Everyone is scattered – son is even in Paris now promoting his Disney planning business at Disneyland Paris.

I found 5:2 in March 2016 weighing nearly 200#/90 kg and South Beach Diet didn’t seem to be working at all. And it is very hard to maintain. I read Dr. Mosley’s book and decided the science behind 5:2 was sound, Over the rest of that year I lost about 40# getting down to 160#/72.5 and decided that would be a good weight to maintain. I am fond of saying that weight allows my wrinkles to be a bit puffed. 🙂

@coda had the first challenge I joined in May 2016, and I haven’t missed any since then. Why stop now? I am not as active as I probably could be, but know I am supporting everyone who is on our journey.

@stitchincarol – thank you so much for leading us this month. To what do i aspire? I probably ought to just continue to aspire to maintenance, but maybe I will aspire to being more active this month on our forum.

Onward and downward.

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Welcome, @at, @songbirdme, @edzeko, @basyjames, @jaifaim, @northgeorgia, @funshipfreddie, @brightonbelle, @emma-taylor, and @dvw; I trust our other regulars will pop in after the weekend.

I was chuckling this morning that I was off to a racing start as host for the month since I was absolutely silent. That’s the reality of Sunday mornings for me, however, and shy of getting up earlier (<<snort!>>), there’s no time to log on. On top of church activities, our boys (well, they’re officially men now, but “our men” sounds dumb, LOL!) are here for the day so I was thinking I’d be busy all afternoon. But the Hungarian Gran Prix has them engrossed (so they say, but actually, it’s the inside of their eyelids that they’re all studying closely! 😂🤣😂), so I have some time to myself. 🥰

I’m going to think out loud in hopes it’s helpful for someone else. What’s going to be different about this month, so that the success we all aspire to actually takes place? We none of us aspire to over-eating, to letting down our guard, to being indifferent to our goals. So why do we sometimes fall so abysmally short of reaching them? Something has to change, but what??

I don’t know–oh, that I did!!–but I think it centers around our mindset. I think that we all think we resolve to do well each day…but we’re actually stating a wish, not a true resolve. “Resolve, to firmly settle on a course of action.” There’s no “hoping” involved in “resolve,” right? I don’t know about you, but I seldom actually “resolve” to eat correctly on any given day, I “hope to eat correctly”…and when I give in to temptation, I’m seldom anything but resigned. I’m resigned because, in the back of my mind, I know I was merely hoping, I wasn’t truly resolved.

So today, I aspire to being truly resolved. I won’t snack on anything else today (so far I’ve had two chocolate chip cookies from those I made for coffee fellowship after worship, so I have to stop there). I won’t pop a beer at 4 o’clock and keep going. I won’t snack while I’m making supper. I won’t skip water in favor of beer/wine. And I’ll have only a small portion of the dessert I’m making for tonight’s supper.

That’s my resolve, and I’m truly “resolved,” not merely “hoping.”

So what does resolve look like for you? Like a firm course of action, or more like a weak hope? Can you resolve something today and truly mean it, not simply “hope”?

Good luck and good resolve to all of us!

Day 1 – UK – TDEE

Late posting today as was out for most of the day on a hike with a couple of friends – stopped for a picnic at a hidden little spot with a great view and nobody walked our way and then had a coffee at a little garden tearoom once back down from the fells before heading home – lovely day!

For those new to the challenges a little bit about myself:-
    I am a 63y.o. female living with my DH, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 black cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I had gained weight during my last couple of years at work and was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter!
    I decided to join the challenge in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 and with the help of these challenges I have remained in maintenance range of 55-57kg/121-126lbs and a BMI of around 21 since then – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 165cm

After a few years of staying in maintenance effortlessly, I have had a few wobbles in the last year but with this WOL and by sticking to the monthly challenges I have so far managed to stop any permanent unwanted upward trend getting out of control – Maintenance now takes some effort but it is so worth it!!!

Forgot to weigh myself this morning – will do it tomorrow on waking before my regular Monday 7am Broga class.

@stitchincarol – For this August Aspiration Challenge I too am going back to basics and following what worked for me for many years until I started getting lax and sliding into bad habits so I’m back to:-
    *2 x FD500
    *4 x TDEE day and 1 NFD
    *3L water daily
    * back to using MFP to be more aware of calories consumed
    * I’m in the ZBC so planning on trying to fast for a minimum of 14hrs daily

Will be posting late again tomorrow as after my 7am class I will be heading off to spend a few hours dog walking with my DD (she runs a dog walking business) then will end the day with my regular 90min Dynamic Yoga class at 5pm – Also planning my first FD of this challenge tomorrow – Monday FD seems to work well for me.

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – FD (Fast Day) 56-yr old female, San Francisco, CA. Coming back after a long time away from this group. Over the past couple of months, post-vaccines enjoyed eating out a bit too much, so excited to get back on track with a lifestyle that I know works. Starting at 179 lbs with a goal of 145 lbs.

Day 1, 57-yr old, Austin Texas. 5’6”, 145lb. starting 16:8 today. My goal for this month is down 5 lbs.

Good luck to everyone!

Welcome @shimmera and @sugq123

We’re glad to welcome you to the group. Many have found the best “use” of the group is to post and read everyday, as it adds to the feeling accountability, which adds to the control we exercise is what we eat. 🙄 So if you are able to post/read every day, we’ll be delighted to embrace your chatter.

@shimmera I’m so impressed you’re fasting on a Sunday; I find that nearly impossible because I just want to be “off” and “free” on Sundays; I hope it’s gone well for you!

@sugq123 Good luck on your August goal!

Day 2, NFD, Aus

Thanks for hosting @stitchincarol – you’ve put up some very thought-provoking posts already. It will be a good month!

When I read your first post, I thought Yes! I want wealth! I want to lose 20 kg! Then I thought, what is realistic is that I concentrate on the basics. I will abide by the basic 5:2 premises and do DTF. That is achievable. It’s bite-sized. I can do it everyday and I will (eventually) reach my overall goal. And hey “wealth” doesn’t have to be measured in dollars – it can be measured in health and happiness.

Bit about me. Live in Canberra (the nation’s capital) with OH and two dogs. I can’t wait until spring arrives as cold cold grey weather does not appeal to me. I’ve done 5:2 for a number of years now – when I stick with it, I lose weight. When I don’t, I put the weight back on. I wonder why I’ve not learnt this basic lesson by now!!!

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Welcome to @sugq123 & welcome back @shimmera

@stitchincarol – very good point! Wishing & resolving aren’t the same. And we sometimes wish each other ‘luck’ on a FD, although we know luck has nothing to do with it. Or saying to oneself, ‘I’ll try for a FD today & see what happens’. Going into a FD halfheartedly is just setting oneself up for failure. Due to being basically stubborn, my fast day resolve is actually very good. Once I’ve committed to a FD I stick to it. By the time 4 or 5 pm comes along I tell myself I’ve succeeded because I’ll be able to eat in an hour or so, & all I need to do is keep an eye on the calories.
    Having said that, I realise that living alone & not having to prepare meals for a partner &/or children makes fasting much easier. I don’t buy cookies or crisps (chips) or other temptations, but that’s not really an option when you have a family.

My first Monday FD for a long time. Let’s do this, Monday fasters! 🏋

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie

Day 2 UK FD

In a bit of a mood this morning , after a wait of months maybe years we were due a mid week treat a theatre trip to London but we’ve just been pinged ! So need to isolate until Thursday

I know in the big scheme of things I shouldn’t complain so I’ll go and sulk and hopefully be brighter tomorrow

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 2 – UK – FD

Hi all, it’s been a long while since I was on these boards and it’s lovely to be back. I’m pressing the reset button once more on my weight loss and coming back to the 5:2 WOE. To give some background, I tried the 5:2 back in 2013 when I saw Michael Moseley’s BBC Horizon programme but didn’t have a huge amount of success because I just didn’t commit to it properly.

Fast forward to 2016 when @coda started these challenges and I had a wedding dress to slim into, so I picked up the 5:2 once more and was really successful. I lost 1 stone within the space of approx 2 months, and I was pretty slim to begin with so was very happy.

I was at my slimmest on my wedding day and felt great – I felt like ‘me’ again! Then came the honeymoon, followed by Christmas and I’d gained half a stone within 6 weeks. A few months later I started an MSc degree whilst working full time, which helped more weight pile on and I gained back all I had lost plus another stone.

I’ve plateaued at this weight for a good 2 years now and I have had enough of it. I signed up to Noom, have used fasting timers and stuck religiously to 16:8 (if not longer), I’ve tried doing self-directed F800 and I have had so many false starts with the 5:2 over the past few years. I’ve even joined in a couple of challenges on here, but I have always undone my efforts in some way.

So, here’s my figurative stake in the ground…..! In my head I’ve set off from my heaviest weight one last time and I’m walking back home to ‘me’.

I’m starting small and going back to basics. I’m doing what I did before:
    2 x 500 cal fast days per week (ideally Mondays and Thursdays, but will always be flexible based on how I’m feeling – as long as I have 2 properly good days a week, that’s all that matters).

Plan for today:
    ZBC
    Lunch – chicken soup
    Dinner – quorn chilli (home made) with salad

I need to remind myself that I am not a lost cause and it is possible to lose weight with the 5:2 more than once in your life! 🙂

Looking forward to August!

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b

@brightonbelle
    Ah, sorry to hear you’ve been pinged right when you had plans! Can you rearrange the tickets easily? Are the theatres being flexible?

Day 2 North Canton OH FD

First FD since we returned from vacation and I am so ready.

Thank you for hosting @stitchincarol and for the thought provoking questions.

I have been fasting since 2016, and that was when I first joined the challenges; they have been a huge factor in my success and I am thankful to everyone who hosts and participates.

This month, my objective is to clean up my diet, cut out the junk food and snacking on NFD, sit down for my meals and follow my trusted regimen – ADF on a Mediterranean diet. I also started a challenging exercise regimen that I am really excited about- 30 day breakaway and I am already seeing and feeling the results.

Self awareness is very important and I noticed that many in the group are returning to back to basics, kudos! This WOL works as long as consistency and diligence is applied and I am hopeful that we will all reap the results of our hard work and diligence.

Looking forward to August!

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @basyjames

Day 2 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD

Good morning everybody. I RESOLVE to have a good FD. Great distinction @stitchincarol!

It’s pouring rain so a good day for packing and maybe an indoor walk with Leslie. Good luck to all.

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @basyjames
    @dvw

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska – FD

Yesterday went well, mostly because I kept remembering my resolve to do well. Granted, I ate a lot, and it was plenty of calories, but I ate reasonable amounts–one serving each–of everything I prepared, and switched to water early on, and I’m pleased. The scales were lovely this morning, as a side benefit, so that’s one day of August that’s written down in the positive column. 😇

@penz I knew you’d be with us; welcome to August! I can make a guess as to why you haven’t learned the basics of 5:2, because it’s my problem: You “hope” each day to follow your plan, but you leave wiggle room for your inner three year old to whine and throw a tantrum about the treats it wants (it’s weird to think of a three year old throwing a tantrum to get wine and beer, but there you go 😂🤣😂) and come that time of day, your hope isn’t strong enough to resist that three year old. That’s where resolve comes in, but it requires being totally honest with yourself, and that’s stinking TOUGH. That whole explanation is, at least, my explanation!

@funshipfreddie “And we sometimes wish each other ‘luck’ on a FD, although we know luck has nothing to do with it.” Yup, I cringe every time I wish the group good luck, because it’s so empty…but it’s also such a common phrase of good cheer. The success you’ve already experienced last month just proves how excellent your resolve is, and I’m very impressed.

@brightonbelle Oh, but of COURSE you’re disappointed and frustrated and perhaps even resentful! Are you going to be able to reschedule any time soon?

@babs_b I’m new since you were here, but I’m betting there are several in the group who will recognize your name! “In my head I’ve set off from my heaviest weight one last time and I’m walking back home to ‘me’”–such a great image. And I love that you’ve just expressed a strong resolve instead of a sad hope; that’s the key to the success that I’m sure you’ll experience this time. Welcome back!

@basyjames “I am hopeful that we will all reap the results of our hard work and diligence.” Right there is part of what has kept me from success: in my mind this is not hard, so when it gets hard, I quit. And it’s NOT hard, it’s very simple–but it IS hard, because it takes resolve, and that’s usually in short supply. So thanks for the reminder, and I’m truly impressed at all the hard work you put into exercise!

@dvw And I wish you success in your FD resolve today!

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @basyjames
    @dvw
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @penz
    @stitchincarol

All this talk about resolve v. hope makes this quote apropos: “It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.” I wish you all success in whatever you’ve resolved for today!

Day 2 – Wisconsin, USA NFD

Hello All! Off to a good start, I hope?

My aspirations this month are to regain control. I aim to only drink alcohol one night a week or when out for dinner (this does not happen often). I started drinking more often at the same time I hit pre-monopause, so, I actually don’t know which is more to blame for my extra middle “layer”. Hoping to apply this experiment to find out.

@stitchincarol – Thank you, again, for hosting. I love your thinking out loud.

@bellyblast – Yes, I totally get the wine/pandemic problem

@songbirdme – I am encouraged by your fortitude. I remember you from years ago when I was here.

Day 2/ no longer Colorado, now Florida/ Fast Day = yay!

Oh my goodness! What a thrill to return to this site after 3 or so years away…..& see some familiar names!

I started way back with the very first Challenge created by @coda
    Met with success & maintained fairly well, but then “forgot” about 5:2.

Last year presented loads of upheaval (as it did for many!)
    Pandemic, menopause, prepping + selling our home in Colorado, moving across the country to Florida, quitting my job as a Surgical RN working in Operating Room to retire early (at 56. Yikes!)
    All these changes + stress + eating willie-nilly = instant weight gain!

I know 5:2 is an effective, healthy lifestyle approach that I am happy to return to. Which includes this wonderfully supportive group! Thank you @stitchincarol for hosting this month.

I’ve set up my August calendar, penciled in my FDs & planned out exercise goals.
    I am READY to check in here daily along my journey to once-again fitting into my wardrobe! (Note: I REFUSE to spend money on new, bigger clothes on a retired-early budget. Ha!)

Starting weight July = 162 lb. / 73.6 Kg
    Start Wt. August = 157.2. / 71.5 Kg
    Goals for August:
    1- drop 2+ pounds
    2- exercise at least 30 mins daily
    3- avoid sugar & artificial sweeteners

I’ll use my FD as Health Days to “rest, relax, recharge & rebuild” my body!
    Good luck, friends!

Joining as I need some accountability. Currently 156lb, this time last year I was 140lb and want to be there again. I know why; too much daily wine and beer (I have a belly, I never had a belly before!) and bread, and cheese, and a knee problem which means that I can’t run. It’s my 61st birthday this month so I would like to shed at least a bit before it. I have been pretty much out of control food and drink wise over the last year and using any old excuse. Well, enough! It’s now or never.

A few rules:
    1. Nothing to eat before noon (IF)
    2. Drink plenty of water
    3. Alcohol max two days per week and not much of it
    4. Eat when hungry and not to the clock
    5. Some form of daily exercise
    6. Smaller portions, avoid bread

PS Hello to the Leeds folk, fellow Loiner here!

second post

@happymargo & @wetherby_whaler Welcome (back)! We’re a wonderfully supportive group, and you’ll find all sorts of kindness and encouragement here on your 5:2 journey!

third post

@northgeorgia accidentally posted on the July challenge, so I’m adding him to the pocket list for today. @happymargo, I’ve added you as well. @wetherby_whaler, you didn’t indicate, so I don’t know whether to add you as well, or not…? But I’m guessing you’re absolutely planning to be part of the DTF (Dry ‘Til Friday) club (who drinks on a Tuesday?? 😂) so I put you in there. @happymargo, what’s your intention? Not everyone does DTF, but if that’s your plan, stick your name in and brag your resolve!

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @basyjames
    @dvw
    @stitchincarol
    @northgeorgia
    @happymargo

DTF
    @penz
    @stitchincarol
    @wetherby_whaler

Day 2 – UK – FD500

Feeling pleasantly tired now after a very busy day which started with a 7am – 45min Broga Class then an hour’s drive to meet up with DD for 3 x 1hr dog walks covering around 9km before heading home after a quick coffee with her. A 5pm 90min Dynamic Yoga Class which was intense – now back home and showered enjoying a cup of tea whilst catching up here…..I should sleep well tonight 😴

Best of all I have stuck to my planned FD500 ✅ my kitchen door is now firmly closed and I need to drink another 500mls of water which is no hardship after that sweaty yoga class tonight – I feel like I really need it!

@shimmera @babs_b @happymargo – welcome back to our monthly challenges – You know that the support and accountability of belonging to the group is so helpful to get back on track – there are a few of us going back to basics this month so join us and I have added you all to the spread sheet in case you want to use it
    @sugq123 @wetherby-whaler – welcome – you have taken the first and most important step and you are added to the spread sheet too – here is the link in case you want to use it
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1suNOV6fpP5jRuJ3thuUtlbr1GnROtvntc5EPTNmTE5M/edit?usp=sharing
    @stitchincarol – I’m finding your posts very inspiring – thank you for your thought provoking questions and for adding me to the pocket list 🤗

Pocket List – Day 2 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @basyjames
    @dvw
    @stitchincarol
    @happymargo

DTF
    @penz
    @stitchincarol
    @at (Dry 5 days a week!)

Day 2 USA – NFD

So good to see some familiar names back in “the fold” of this wonderful fellowship! What @coda began in May 2016 has continued and blossomed so wonderfully. It was great getting to meet her and her DH when they came to Chicago in May 2017 and have some great quality time together.

@edzeko – of course! My home is Illinois (northwestern, just south of Monroe) so we honestly do feel very close to Wisconsin in geography, weather, and such MANY friends are Green Bay and UW fans. Fun to see you back again.

@happymargo – and you too! You got to Florida indeed. I don’t remember if you said you were finding a new nursing job there? I am certain you could always find work if you wanted to.

@weatherby_whaler – welcome. What’s the significance of your nick? I was right there with you in late 50’s menopausal belly just came out of nowhere!

@babs_b – several of us here have been around, and pretty much continuous, since @coda began these challenges.

@brightonbelle – not sure I understand “pinged” in your post. Sounds like you got exposed to Covid and had to quarantine? That happened to my DH, months ago, and the health department called every day to see how he felt.

@sugq123 – welcome to you. Our youngest DD lives in Austin now and loves it. She is a singer, so the music scene even occasionally gives her work.

Onward and downward.

Day 2 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 225 (barely missed 226) this morning. My body’s got to readjust to a simple 5:2. Crazy day: road construction has shifted the lanes and I found out a co-worker tested positive for COVID yesterday.

Put me on the pocketlist, please 🙂 Got to run!! (sorry, I posted in July by accident this morning. I can’t believe it’s August already!)

final post for the day 😂

Last summer, I read a book on 16:8 or some such (sorry, I’m too lazy to look up the title because it really isn’t relevant to my question) and the author said chewing gum actually messes up a true fast, because the sugars/flavors switched your body from fasting mode to eating mode…or at least, that’s how I remember the warning.

My question is whether or not coffee also “ruins” the fasting? I certainly won’t give up my morning coffee regardless, but this afternoon, I enjoyed a Nytro Cold Brew from Starbucks, and there was so much flavor (even though I got the straight stuff with no added anything and a mere 5 calories) that I wondered if it was stopping the fasting mode. Anyone know anything about this?

Day 3, NFD, Aus

Huh. I did a FD yesterday but I’ve just noted my post indicated I was doing a NFD. I usually do FDs on Mondays and Thursdays. And yes, @stitchincarol, I did have to beat down my inner three-year old last night but I succeeded. (I wouldn’t hit a child but I think I can beat my own inner self!)

@happymargo! Welcome back! So lovely to see a familiar name after such a long time.

I’ve wondered that too @stitchincarol. I’m a ZBC member but I have 3 coffees each morning with milk. If that stuffs up my fast, I’m in real trouble. I don’t know the answer.

Day 3 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Hi all, sorry for leaving it until Day 3 before posting but it was a bank,holiday weekend here and we were away in our trusty campervan 🚐

Yes, lots of wine was had, and even had takeout pizza last night as just didn’t want to cook, but thankfully no gain. No loss either from July so this plateau sure is a long one.

Like a lot of you I am back to 5:2 basics this week, also going to keep it mainly plant based and Mediterranean during the week, with small amounts of meat at the weekend (not a huge meat eater but DH is), and absolutely DTF.

I am trying to turn around menopause symptoms by good nutrition and it is mostly working so I will continue on this path.

Have a great Tuesday, great to see all the newcomers and welcome back a couple of oldies too ☺️

I wonder where @ccco and @michelinme have gone, hope all ok.

Day 3 – UK – NFD

Thanks for the warm welcome @stitchincarol & everyone! Yesterday was a successful FD, which is just what I needed. I stuck to my plan of chicken soup at lunch and a Quorn chilli for dinner and found a pouch of cauliflower rice lurking in the freezer so had that with the chilli too. I had a little battle with the inner 3 year old around 9pm last night but did what @at did and told myself the kitchen was closed & had a decaf tea instead. Also, I’d forgotten that feeling the morning after a FD when it feels like your body’s a little more rested than normal.

@penz I’m pretty much always in the ZBC throughout the week too but cannot function without a cup of tea first thing in the morning!! I have skimmed milk in mine and do like it strong so it’s pretty low in cals, but I quite often have had 2 or 3 mugs by lunchtime. I believe the science behind it / what MM has said previously is that if it’s lower than 50 cals it’s not really breaking your fast, but any calorie intake would potentially take your body out of autophagy, which is what usually kicks in at around 14 hours of fasting (I think).

@daffodil2010 I hope the weekend away was good and the weather was on your side! We’ve had some Biblical rain over the past couple of weeks here (near London in the UK)!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Day 3 – Ireland – NFD

Hi all,
    Checking in to say hi and will come back later this week to catch up.. staying with friends on the south coast. Lots of swimming and good food…
    Hope you are all well!

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 3 UK NFD

I’ve got over my little strop , yes @songbirdme that’s what happened, but allegedly I must have been within 2metres of someone for around 15 mins and for the life of me I can’t recall when this could have happened but hey ho move on , I managed to get a refund on my theatre tickets so it’s all good

Decent FD yesterday so aiming for nice steady couple of days

It’s getting like the olympics here @wetherby-whaler with a strong Leeds team 😀

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Another marathon 10 hour sleep, & 0.8 kgs down after my first August FD! Seems too good to be true, & either my scales are on the blink, or there’ll be more fluctuations in the other direction later this week. Still, it doesn’t hurt the motivation.

@babs_b & @happymargo – welcome back! And welcome to @wetherby-whaler

@stitchincarol – not sure about the coffee question; but maybe it differs from one person to the next? I have at least 3 cups in the morning with a splash of low-fat milk, & in my experience it certainly doesn’t interfere with the weight loss.

Pocket List – Day 3 🍋
    @daffodil2010

Day 3 OMAD London

I decided that although I drank coffee black for a long time, I love coffee with a bit of double cream first thing in the morning, so I have it. I reckon that since I’ve given up alcohol again, I can have a bit of cream without feeling bad! That then gets me to at least five o’clock easily, without anything else. I think my weight is slowing going down ( still not weighing…), but that’s fine. The slower the better…

Day 3, London, UK, FD,

I need this FD!!!

I hadn’t forgotten the challenge, (thanks @stitchincarol for hosting) life has just become super hectic, flat selling👍🏼, house buying🙏🏼, moving in with my mum to help her out🥰 and just generally running myself ragged!!! The fasting has been sporadic, but July saw a 3lb loss, which is the correct direction, so I’m taking it!!

Anyway, there’s light at the end of the tunnel so this month, I’m aiming for -4lbs, we’ll just see if I can improve on July!!!

Take care everyone, I’ll be fully present and correct soon!!🤗

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 395 total)

You must be logged in to reply.