Audacious and Achievable August 2023

This topic contains 267 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Penz 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 267 total)

• Day 3 UK NFD
    Day 2 NFD

it’s been FULL ON here so dropping in for quick accountability post. Monday was FD600 and Tues FD800, last two days not been great eating but inside TDEE.

Things are super busy but going well, just a lot of plate spinning atm. I’m exhausted with the 12 hour days – 11 in a row, inc full weekend – but now just about through most of the meeting days until end of August. A huge pile of emails and project odds & ends to pick up tomorrow/next week and then two weeks off. But just tomorrow to go then next week is much more relaxed catch up time.

In amongst all the project work have been a backlog of home chores, restocking store cupboards while I still have access to a car, some advance prep for holiday in 3 weeks time, 85yo mother’s birthday and a few social things. Life feels chaotic and I’m VERY tired but hopefully it will all come together! And I’m still here, which is good.

SO looking forward to a gentle weekend of rest, batch cooking, chutney making and tying up the tomatoes. All good things come from time outdoors….Looking forward to grounding myself here too. Hope all’s well x

Day 4, NFD, Aus

Thanks for the virtual shake up, @funshipfreddie! Yesterday was not a FD. Funny, during COVID lock down I had not problem doing fasting at home, and even lost weight over that period. But I am planning a year off work next year so your advice to get used to fasting at home in prep for retirement is quite timely!

Hope it all went ok for you yesterday @daffodil2010.

Would you like two extra dogs, @merryapple, to keep Mac company? I went downstairs this morning to discover my two had completely destroyed one of their beds – cover, and stuffing strewn all over the place. Not a good start to the day! (But they would have had a ball.)

have a great weekend everyone.

Day 4,3,2,1 all NFDs country west Australia 82.3 kgs
    Aiming to get below 80 kgs which I have been since March !!
    Need to do FD om Monday and Thursday next week.
    Too much travelling, poor food choices overeating and too many excuses.
    Plan – watch portion sizes; plug the numbers in MyFitnessPal ( has lapsed over the past few weeks); up the exercise and post daily.
    Plenty of Mojo just need to actually fast!!

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.6

@penz – you’re welcome! 😅 The toughest part of the lock-downs for me was not being able to eat out. I eat lunch out every day I’m not fasting. Because I enjoy it, I’m bone idle & I just hate prepping food at home. So, @northgeorgia – I guess it’s not where you eat – as @merryapple said, it’s what you eat. And drink. Healthier eating rule # 101 – don’t drink your calories 🚫🥤

@daffodil2010 – I hope your dentist ordeal was brief & painless & that you can still enjoy your trip 🚙

@at – the 🍷 was a problem for me too. But now St Augustine’s quote – ‘Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation’ – resonates with me. I tried dry til Fri & all that, & it was tough! My weekends gradually got longer, eventually starting on a Friday & end on a Thursday 🤦‍♂️ I wasn’t exactly a lush; I seldom drank before my evening meal. But, just one or two drinks didn’t happen once I started. As soon as you’ve had the one or two, you’re not the same person who was intending to be moderate. All good intentions fly out the window. Mine did anyway. It’s a slippery slope 😳

Happy Fri-yay y’all! 🍹

Day 4 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. Only half a pound gain over yesterday’s post-NFD day. Excellent. I skipped lunch and although the Munchie Monster tried to raise its ugly head, I did stop myself. I ate mostly protein, vegetables, and just a little fruit to rid of those nagging sugar cravings. No soft drinks. No hot cocoa. Just water — and a much better effect. I think I really have to watch my refined carbs more, because the VERY few I ate seemed to make me bloat upon each swallow. It was a strange sensation, and thankfully, made me say, “no more” pretty quickly.

Developing my strategy for the upcoming week with this (not so new) knowledge 🙂

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅
    156lbs

Hi all… well not a bad week but back up a little. Even when motivated it’s tough. We all have to work at this… there very little room for any excess…

@daffodil2010 I hope yesterday went ok for you! The dentist was one of my appointments I had to fit in yesterday but luckily I don’t have the fear but do have two friends who do, so I know how anxious you may have been.

@michelinme I hope you get some rest soon -it’s so vital- one of my friends recently asked me how I manage to do so much with the auto immune conditions and it’s true I am pretty active but my response was that when I’m not doing something I am literally doing NOTHING… lots of self care, rest, bed early etc. I have a quiet time now but can already see September heating up with events, trips etc so trying to plan it well…

Good to see you @lilymartin and @at and so grateful for the mutual support here… we all need it and I’m very grateful for it.

@funshipfreddie thanks for the wise words generally 👏

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800

Ahh, but it’s good to be home! The drive home yesterday was uneventful, and we got here right at 9 o’clock. My cleaning lady came yesterday as scheduled and texted me right after she got here to please call her when I had time. Turns out that the freezer on top of our refrigerator (in other words, not the big one in the basement) had been slightly open the entire two weeks we’d been gone, and the food was thawed, the fridge food was not cold, and there was a liquid mess in both as well as on the floor. Ugh. That freezer really needed cleaning out, so I guess that was as good a way to force me to do so as any. Right? I guess. 😵‍💫 So that’s on my agenda first thing this morning…not every last thing in both is a loss (for example, the powdered instant espresso I use occasionally for baking and the jar of yeast), but there’s little that we can safely keep and use. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I got on the scale last night, fully clothed, and think I gained perhaps two pounds, but I’m not getting on this morning. Don’t wanna know.

Today’s plan is to eat little for lunch, make sure supper will keep me below 800, and give my liver a break. I’m feeling rather like a dual-personality as part of me whines about wanting not to have to work hard at this, and another part of me makes like a cheerleader with lots of encouragement about how this is entirely within my skill and strength for today–I’m only worrying about one day at a time. So perhaps I need to go read my opening post, and see if it encourages me as several of you said it encouraged you.

=========================

@jaifaim How lovely to have friends from France visiting! As to your 156, yup, constant vigilance is needed. You’ll drop it off again, I’m sure.

@funshipfreddie You were exactly right about driving responsibilities: DH enjoys it enough that he’d content to be the only driver. Once in a while I insist, but mostly I’m content to “do my thing” (knitting, texting, reading internet articles) on the seat beside him. He’s not a chatterer, so our car is quite silent most of the time, LOL! And I love your quote from Augustine about abstinence v. moderation–I think you’ve posted that before. Your last few posts have been full of chatter and encouragment and reflections, and I’ve enjoyed reading them. ❤️

@daffodil2010 The first of your days off sounded absolutely wonderful, until you mentioned your efforts at staying calm before your dental appointment. I wasn’t able to post my encouragement, but I prayed for you when I read it, which was shortly before your appointment (are we a 6-hour difference, or a 5-hour? London is 6 hours ahead of me…)

@at Last time you commented about restaurants (at least, to my memory), your DH was reluctant to go out because of lingering covid concerns, so it was a double reason for being pleased for you–actually, a triple, given that you’d succeeded in a FD800 the day before.

@northgeorgia I’m going to introduce a new phrase for us all to consider: Fasting Fatigue. Some of us start 5:2 and either have a short enough way to go, or simply possess that much inate discipline that we lose the weight in short order, and then our fasting is to help us maintain. Other of us–you and I among them!!–don’t have quick success to a maintenance weight, and then struggle and struggle and struggle. I think we are fatigued by a process we know works, but isn’t currently working for us, because we aren’t fully engaged and are entirely blowing our NFDs, undoing the success of our FDs. Although, that’s simply not true. If you and I weren’t doing FDs, we’d both be far higher in our weight, so we are actually experiencing a great deal of success (minimized weight gain) if not the success we want of weight loss. I don’t know how I can help you, nor do I know how I can help myself, but I’m going to keep trying for both of us, and I’m hopefully something will click for both of us and we can turn around this trend we’ve been suffering through and again lose weight. 👍💪 And I just read your Friday am post, and am thrilled for the success you achieved yesterday; WELL DONE. It truly is a one-day-at-a-time journey, isn’t it?

@at Is Fasting Fatigue what’s plaguing you? After all these years of success, you’re simply tired of the discipline required to focus on your goals?

@merryapple Aww, such a bummer on that muesli! I’m sure it tasted glorious, however. And in the end, just a blip on your path to the weight you want, right?

@michelinme I worry when I read about how busy life is for you, because I know that’s something that has derailed you in the past, and I know how fragile your health is; I look forward to hearing the report that says you made it unscathed through all the things on your schedule.

@penz WHAT?? You’re planning a year off work next year? Like, a sabbatical?? Do tell more; it sounds delightful! And after @funshipfreddie‘s encouragement, are you “up” for doing–“doing” not “trying”–a FD next time you WFH?

@lilymartin You’re clearly swamped with commitments in your life, so it’s wonderful to hear from you as you’re able. I’m glad your mojo is going strong, and I’ll celebrate loudly with you when you get back below 80kg!

Okay, lots to do, and feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. But, as a friend pointed out when my second baby arrived, “If one already takes all of your time, two can’t take any more, huh?” LOL, so I’ll just get up off this sofa, and do the first thing, and then continue through my day, doing the next thing. Good approach, huh?

OH! And it’s not eating A crow, it’s eating crow. So when you celebrate something, you crow about it, but then later you eat crow. I’m amused that this was an unfamiliar phrase to several of you, because it’s common here in the States.

Okay, I’m stalling. It’s time for a quote: “It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.”

(and, @funshipfreddie, feel free to correct that and give attribution if you’d like!)

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD
    Bank holiday weekend yay!!

First off, thank you all for the positive vibes and encouragement for my dentists appointment, I could FEEL the goodwill. It was really great, as although nervous, I had none of the anxiety I normally have. Granted, the X-ray was not invasive, and the dentist, a new one for me as my normal guy was not available, was super quick and gentle and it was over in minutes 😄

So yes @funshipfreddie I walked out as if I had scaled Everest.

But, there are two big reasons for the constant low level toothache, and so in three weeks time I have an operation scheduled to remove two back teeth 😱 I have sedation for that, so asked her to clean and fix up anything else in there while she is there and I am in la-la land 😀

So now it’s the bank holiday and we plan to leave later this afternoon for the west. Although Storm Anton is due later today too, hoping it will be an overnight thing and we have some good weather thereafter.

Oh, and I weighed in this morning and a nice number there that I haven’t seen in 6 months, so things going down in the right direction.

Have a great weekend all. Xxx

Second post

Oh, @daffodil2010, what lovely news: the appointment went well, a solution for your tooth ache was determined, you’re headed off for a fun weekend away, and you’re the lowest in 6 months??? WONDERFUL! Have a grand time this weekend, and I hope you manage to avoid all the storm stuff.

Day 4 UK NFD

Checking in for accountability. Very tired but slower day today. A small pile of things to pick up on Monday but deadlines hit etc

I’m so tired I actually spent the day working in PJs plus a cardi, then got v cold so made a hwb. Not sure if i’m chilly because i’m coming down with something or I’m feeling ill bc I’m cold, but either way I need to warm up and rest! SO happy to have got to Friday evening, with a lovely clear Saturday ahead and very few appts/meetings next week. PHEW!

I had baked beans and scrambled eggs for a protein-packed late lunch, now jacket potato, salad and fruit for supper. Can’t wait to go to bed and sleeep without an alarm for the morning, waking up when my body wants to.

My lovely gardening friend came this afternoon and tidied up some bigger things – taking turf away so the path is clear, cutting the side of the hedge to make getting in and out easier, trimming the inside of the hedge to make space to squeeze around the abundant lavender…. It’s looking tidier than it has all year (it’s a wilderness!) tho could really do with some sunshine and warmth to bring the tomatoes, chillis and corn on… fingers crossed for temperate weather after days of grey cloud and showers.

@daffodil2010 so glad your dentist trip went well and you have a good treatment plan. I’m also dental phobic so feel your pain. CONGRATS on your 6 month low. Hope you have a lovely weekend away whatever the weather xx

@jaifaim thank you and yes, rest/sleep is foundational! I was doing v well until this last two weeks and now can hopefully dive deeply back into the rest/sleep/self-care routine, strengthened by healthier eating and fasting now too.

@lilymartin huge empathy! I too am 82kg and looking to move down, stymied by overwhelm/overwork and ready to move on. I’ll look forward to moving down together

@northgeorgia well done on figuring it out and thank you, as ever, for sharing your workings. Always inspiring and encouraging to be alongside you

@funshipfreddie thanks so much for the St Augustine quote – that’s a wonderful reminder

@penz the joy of dogs 😀

@stitchincarol welcome home! I hope you have got through some of the chores, one at a time.thank you for your concern and encouragement, it’s a joy to be here again. Congrats on the minimal post-holiday/convention gain – that’s an epic achievement. And yes to not going up being an achievement too – I noticed that for myself since I came back. Other things are changing but not yet my weight; now to watch out for how I am tripping myself up and make conscious choices to meet my long-term goals. But first, REST!

Whatever today brings, go gently x

Day 5 NFD NZ

Woke up to rain but it’s meant to clear and we might actually get some sun. I’ll charge the e-bike battery up in anticipation. There is a World Cup Football match at 5pm so there might be too much traffic for us today… tomorrow…
    I have to see my GP next week. My bad cholesterol is high but my good cholesterol is higher (which is good). I hate pills and I guess I am now going to have to start of taking something…
    I had lunch at a cafe y’day with two fashionable friends who have never been overweight. They watched me walk up to the counter from our table and when I came back told me I had to wear a belt to keep my skinny black jeans up because it wasn’t a good look to have saggy skateboard pants. Neither of them noticed I was looking slightly more streamlined!! I have a high waist and most of my weight is around my torso which means I get a waterbed effect from waist bands and pants migrate downward… I will now wear a belt when going out. Perhaps I need braces?!
    @penz My good friends always have Australian cattle dogs. The last one ate the back out of their sofa because in his opinion he’d been home alone for too long!!
    @michelinme Take care and have a lovely restful weekend
    @daffodil2010 Have a great camping weekend.
    @jaifaim Yes that is our reality but over the month it will hopefully even out to less rather than more…
    @funshipfreddie You are admirable in having sorted out a WOL that suits you. I was trying to think of different approaches to help @northgeorgia. Perhaps I should have said what and where. At the end of the day it’s an energy equation which you have solved – what’s consumed minus what’s used up…
    @stitchincarol It sounds like you’re had a terrific time at the convention. And you still managed to challenge us with key words and concepts. I think fatigue is a very real challenge especially over winter. That’s why I like the monthly time frames. I’m able to cycle through eating a bit more with less control, feeling FD fatigue, then eating a bit less with more control and feeling enthusiastic again – all within the month. I don’t have the superhuman capacity to be rigidly controlled and smooth out all the bumps. But I do have the capacity to use key concepts like resolve, kia kaha, getting back on the wagon etc to achieve and keep achieving.

Cheers everyone!

Day 4 USA/HI FD 800
    Jumping in for August a bit late! Absolutely MUST get myself back into this WOL plus using MFP daily and also start walking and/or using the recumbent bike daily.
    I’m kicking off with FD 800 today and plan to make it another FD of some sort tomorrow. So far today only water plus about 50 calories and I feel fine … not hungry. It’s almost 1 pm here and I’m at work for 3 more hours. Tonight will be the challenge as DS54 is here.
    Thanks to everyone for all the support and for keeping the monthly challenges going!

Day 5 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅

Hello all, my cycling plans for today have been thwarted… shocking weather… rain where I live and very high winds where I am going so the event has been cancelled. Ho hum but it is a long weekend so will be nice to be away and hole up for the day and enjoy the rest of the bank holiday when the weather improves.

Hello @maui! Great to see you 💕 I’m using MFP daily now too 👍

Right galoshes on 🤣 (we actually say wellies) and out I go 💦💦💦

Have a lovely day everyone.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Another sunny & warm winter’s day here 🌞

@merryapple – I just saw NZ beat Australia 23 – 20 🏈 🏅

@daffodil2010 – a different dentist would’ve freaked me out. I had the same one in Durban for years; an older dentist whose voice was so calming it was almost hypnotic, & anaesthetic was hardly unnecessary 😅 But now I need to find one in Port Elizabeth, & it’s been over a year already 😳 Congrats on the 6 months low! 🎯

@stitchincarol – so sorry you had to come home to the mess in the kitchen?! I’m sure that was the last thing you wanted after your 8 hour journey home. But presumably your cleaning lady sorted out the worst of it. A 2 lb gain though? That’s nothing after 2 weeks away! The ‘hard but not impossible’ quote is ‘unknown – but possibly by American author Chuck Palahniuk’.

@maui – welcome to AA August 🙋‍♂️

Michael Mosley’s column in the UK Mail:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12374353/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-New-ways-rescue-gut-thats-bunged-just-lower-risk-dementia-too.html

Wishing everyone a nice weekend 🌤🌈

Day 5 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. @stitchincarol Thanks for that encouragement! Yes, if I hadn’t started 5:2, I am VERY certain I would be in excess of 300 lbs, probably with several health conditions, and probably suffering emotionally from a feeling of helplessness and possibly depression!

I am feeling positive, although the numbers taken at raw value are dire: Not one time did I weigh under 220 this week, something that hasn’t happened in a couple of years. And I had some “withdrawals,” by which I mean eating after 8 pm, snacking, and choices of foods and drinks that have little nutritional value yet tons of sugary or high carb calories! But, there are good signs. I found less major “withdrawals” as I went through the week (my massive mess-up was Monday). Had I not had that cheese dip and later a small piece of homemade lemon cake from the freezer yesterday, I probably would have been 221 this morning… I was on the low end of 222. And that’s pretty significant, because had that happened, I would have had four days this week of 220/221 lbs.

This week, even with my horrible mistakes, I only measured three days above 222. Last week was the same. The week before, I had five days above 222 (but I had a 218, 219 measurement. So what’s going on?). Here’s what I consider good news. Those high measurements vs. low post-FDs is likely the effect of water — but I need to dig deeper. They’re also a sign that I am overeating, particularly high carbs, on Refeeding days. This indicates a BAD HABIT on the post-FD Refeeding day fairly consistently. Also, the psychological effect is also noted on the day before a FD, with the mindset of “I won’t be eating (or eating much) tomorrow, so better eat what I can’t have tomorrow now.”

Below are my observations over the past month regarding how much weight was gained between the FD and the post-FD (Refeed day) each week. I also wanted to see how much weight was gained from two days before a FD to the day right before a FD (Preday).

WEEK………..Refeed 1….Refeed 2…..Preday 1….Preday 2
    July Week 1…….5 lbs……..1 lb………1 lb……..5 lbs (same as refeed day 1)
    July Week 2…….1 lb………2 lbs……..3 lbs…….1 lb
    July Week 3…….4 lbs……..5 lbs……..1 lb……..1 lb
    July Week 4…….4 lbs……..2 lbs……..0 lbs…….1 lb
    August Week 1….3 lbs……..0 lbs……..3 lbs……..1 lb

You can see the source of my hope. The first half of the week was a horrible fast food refeeding with several refills of soft drink. The second half of the week consisted of a handful of nuts for breakfast, no lunch, and a healthy normal dinner. And look, 0 lbs (I think it was a little under half a pound, but not very significant). And a little over a pound and a half gain since yesterday, even with my minor slip-ups. I know it’s not possible to always avoid the foods that cause gain, but I can remove them from my habits and make them truly for special occasions.

I think the key to getting back on track is taming the NFDs, particularly on either side of FDs, so that gain is minimal, and FDs can do the work they continue to do.

Day 5 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD1200 – 159.8

Yup, that’s the ugly weight AFTER a successful FD800. I have some work to do! I’m thrilled to report, however, that it was indeed a successful FD800. I have food planned out for today, and think my plans will hit below the number easily enough, so I’m glad for that bit of cushion.

As I was working to stay on track yesterday, I realized yet again the truth of “It’s all a mind thing.” First of all, even to remember to try to resist food requires an alert mind rather than passive acceptance of whatever I decide to nibble on. And then, each time I realized I was at a danger point, I needed talking down from my impulses. The first phrase I remembered and used (rather like a drowning woman desperately scrambling for a life bouy) was “Hunger is not an emergency.” That was at 10:45 in the morning, the time when I typically begin to get hungry. Life has taught me that putting off eating until closer to noon keeps me from eating too soon, and therefore too much, in the afternoon…but it’s not always easy to stick to that. So I firmly told myself that my growling stomach was not an emergency, and took a couple swallows of by-now-cold black coffee, and immediately felt fine.

Then, later, I reminded myself, “Hunger is God’s gift to me.” When I was little and complained to my mom an hour or so before supper that I was hungry, she never gave me something to eat; instead she’d cheerfully say, “Good, supper will taste really good then, and you’ll be fine until then!” Two years ago, I realized I often ate when I wasn’t actually hungry, but because it was expected of me, either because the clock said it was time, or because I was in a social situation where food was being served. Or, far worse, because I was bored or tired or lonely or sad or angry or–you get the idea. In other words, I often ate for all the wrong reasons. (Sound familiar?) That’s when it hit home that actual hunger was a very good thing, and a tool I could use to make smarter eating decisions.

And the key phrase there is “eating decisions.” Every time I eat is a decision. It may be a reasonable, conscious and planned decision, or it may be an impulse and an unrealized decision, but it’s a decision. The key then, is to be MINDFUL (I often really mourn the lack of italics and bold on this forum…) of what and when I eat. To decide based on my adult instincts and not on my inner 3-year-old who says “I want it!”

A key quote fits at this point: “You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.”

So that’s what got me through the day yesterday.

=======================

@michelinme Well done you for getting through your week successfully; have a grand and restful weekend!

@merryapple I too had high cholesterol–very possibly because that’s the way my body is made rather than because of how I eat–but I finally gave in to my doctor’s ever stronger pushing and started taking statins a year ago, and went from 289 to 150. Doctor was thrilled, and I had no side effects, so I’ve now joined the many adults who have pills to take everyday! And, as to your friends who didn’t notice you’ve lost so much weight, I’m of the opinion that we see what we expect to see. Therefore, your friends not saying anything is very likely because they thought you’ve ALWAYS looked this good, having never noticed when you gained weight. ❤️👍

@maui It’s lovely to have you join us–when you join is never an issue! I imagine the changes you’re having to experience are very daunting; hopefully the consistency of the forum will be a lifeline as your mourn your beloved DH and adjust to a new daily norm. I’ll just bet you love the consistency of still working at the gallery. How long is your DS54 with you?

@jaifaim I used to live in Crescent City, California; my home was six blocks from the ocean in one direction, and four blocks in the other directions (it’s a “crescent,” remember), and we were twenty miles from the Oregon stateline, so the weather was all about the Pacific Northwest (rainy and stormy) and not about “sunny California.” In fact, Crescent City had frequent gale-force winds and got 89 inches of rain a year. In other words, I know EXACTLY the kind of day you’re experiencing, LOL! But you’re still putting on your wellies and going out??? Impressive!

@funshipfreddie Yeah, having gained “only” 2lbs isn’t bad given the 2 weeks…the problem was and is that those 2lbs took me into the 160s and there’s nothing good about being in that decade. But I’m taking this day by day, and yesterday was a success, and the only thing I have to focus on today is today. Thanks for the possible author of that quote and for the MM article link!

@northgeorgia I kept thinking you’d post any minute now–and you did! LOL! I know exactly what you mean by refeed days putting weight on that has nothing to do with weight gained. I also see the same encouraging signs you see in that you’re headed in the right direction. What is/are the phrase(s) you use to encourage yourself to eat according to your plan and not according to your impulses? Here’s a thought: you have a plan for each day, but your mom and brother don’t necessarily know that eating plan; would it help if you texted them your plan each morning so that they knew not to derail your intentions? (My thought is because they often come up with food that doesn’t fit with your intended calorie count.) Clearly, saying “Thanks, but I’m not hungry” is not going to work! LOL! We’re always hungry, right? (And I’m talking emotional and mental hunger here, not the stomach grumbling that indicates true hunger.) Here’s another question for you. I asked a day or two ago what’s different between now–when you’re not losing weight–and two years ago–when you WERE losing weight; now I ask what’s different about how your mom and brother set the eating pattern now from two years ago?

We had 4.5 inches of rain in our rain gauge when we got home on Thursday, so the grass was green and long…and the weeds were absolutely flourishing! I did about twenty minutes of weeding yesterday (and DH mowed last night), but forced myself to come back inside and put off the weeding until Monday morning. I hate having it look so bad, but another few days won’t matter, and then I can be done with all the indoor home-from-vacation chores. So, off I go to continue working on those tasks!

Here’s one perfect for a weekend–especially for a long bank holiday as our Brits are having: “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” — Jim Rohn

May your weekend be full of the pain of discipline!

Second post

I’m looking at the spreadsheet, and here are the names of those who have not been posting daily in August. Some of you told us that would be so, but some have simply disappeared, and we miss you. If you’re lurking and read this, do say hello!

BrightonBelle
    DingPing
    DramaQueen6
    Excelsior12309
    FastingNurse
    Gardenlily
    JayeGirl
    lilymartin
    LitProf
    Malee57
    metatauta
    MissyBear
    Quadpa
    Snowflake56
    Suresh3101
    Yo-Yo Fletch

Day 5 UK FD800

Yesterday I got carb hungry in the evening, longing for salty and crunchy food so ate a large quantity of lentil crisps and gf crackers. It resulted in a long deep sleep but I woke to a very puffy body!

I conked out by 9pm and slept for nearly 12 hours then had a lovely lazy morning in bed with papers and coffee. My only focused activity has been doing first part of online safeguarding training (deadline was July 31) but I call it a really lazy day. I’ll get back up soon and do some yoga, make a healthy OMAD (possibly even a FD800) then shower, pamper and get ready for tomorrow’s trip into town.

Saturday is oft en my batch-cooking day but I can do that tomorrow afternoon – today is for rest and no ‘oughts’. But I realised that this week has gone a little backwards partly bc I stopped logging religiously on MFP and partly being busy and not drinking enough, then running out of easy-eat healthy food. I need to make some soups/dahls/stews so there’s plenty ready to pull from the freezer and plan ahead what I’m going to eat – when my brain stays on track my body will follow!

I’m enjoying recipe-hunting and menu-plannning, printing new ideas. I’m mostly researching more from-scratch vegan protein meals, variations to keep me interested and not rely on ready-bought meat substitutes for speedy solutions. I did a freezer and store cupboard audit & restock this week so plenty of beans, pulses, red carmargue rice, lentil/chickpea/pea pasta including a few speedy pouches for tired long days. Sometimes success is all in the preparation!

@merryapple one day soon everyone will start to notice!

@funshipfreddie good luck finding a dentist you can trust. Mine has voice that’s the double of one of my godfathers so I always feel super-relaxed with him

@jaifaim so sorry about your very wet weather – well done you for making the most of the time away! It’s also been very wet here but the odd brighter patch. I’ve really enjoyed lying on my bed with the window open, listening to/watching the birds and the falling rain. It’s as tho the earth is gently resting alongside me and I’ve taken time to listen.

@stitchincarol The weeds will wait! They are only plants growing where you don’t want them – they’ll be glad of a longer life 🙂 Btw no bank holiday in UK – just the lucky Irish! After a wonderful glut in May/June our next BH is end of August.

@northgeorgia – great data-crunching: now for working out what you do differently and monitoring the effects 🙂

@maui lovely to hear from you – and well done on the FD800! You’ve inspired me to consider a rare Saturday FD800 too…

Pocket List Day 5
    @maui
    @michelinme

Day 5 – USA

Had a heavy week of working, but no swimming this week…just too tired. Amused by the discussions of “eating crow,” but I dare not correct anyone who thinks it’s “eating A crow.” Assumed someone would notice and mention it, lol! That’s the beauty of an international forum; we all learn new sayings and expressions beyond our venue. I read the posts daily, and although I don’t post daily, my head is still in the game.

Day 6 NZ CD

It’s my weekly weigh in tomorrow morning😬
    @maui Hi! Welcome back!
    @metatauta You are very welcome to correct any Kiwi about crows – none live here! I interpreted the phrase as the psychological difficulty of swallowing (a) crow before I looked it up to see it had literary origins…
    @stitchincarol and @michelinme Thank you! 😊 I’m secretly pleased no one commented because I put on 8kg very rapidly due to my feelings of loss and loneliness about my DH before being able to pull myself together. Because no one noticed I didn’t have to explain… He always looked to the future and that’s what I must always do. And it was the catalyst to rejoin this forum🤗
    @jaifaim A shame to miss the weekend bike ride. I’m about to pump up the tyres and go for a ride.
    @funshipfreddie It’s all about the score when the whistle blows!

Steely resolve as the first week closes!

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@stitchincarol – that was funny yesterday, when I read the quote you wrote at the end of your post; because it was already in my head. After reading a couple of long posts, I was thinking to myself that maybe we can sometimes overthink this stuff. We know what we need to do, but maybe we just don’t want to do it. We want to delay the inevitable, or maybe discover the magic bullet that doesn’t exist. We just need to pull up our big boy/girl pants & get on with it. Because it all comes down to the choice of the pain of regret or discipline. So I guess that’s why the quote was floating around my brain. And then there it was at the end of your post! So maybe on some level you were thinking the same thing? It’s a choice – what do we want more? To mindlessly entertain our tastebuds day after day with the junk our bodies don’t want or need? Or to adopt a sustainable lifestyle that’s going to give us the bodies we want & need to live a long and healthy life? It’s not easy, but I think we can make it easier by working on our motivation & reminding ourselves daily that IF isn’t a quick-fix, but a lifestyle, & we’re in it for the long haul. Just saying 😅

Also thinking about @i-hate-lettuce, @flourbaby, @emma-taylor, @ciren2 @basyjames & @dykask – jump back in, the water’s just fine! 🙂

“I guess I’m just one of these people who, when I decide I’m going to do something, I just do it.” ~ Tom Ford

Pocket List – Day 6 🍏
    @funshipfreddie

Day 6 – UK – NFD

Busy last few days……
    Dinner out on Day 3 was fantastic – The chef spent two years working at Noma in Copenhagen – his cooking is imbued and enthused with a similar approach to food and foraging, and embraces seasonal and local cooking. (@stitchincarol – I am grateful that we have been out a lot more this year if not quite back to our pre pandemic days!!!)
    Day 4 involved a long hike with my regular walking group – meeting with friends in the afternoon and a home made curry evening
    Day 5 brunch out with my DD, SIL and their adorable beagle, who was amazingly well behaved during brunch ❤️ watching some International Rugby and Netball World Cup with takeout pizza for tea

Happy to report that some self control was in place and no major over indulgences took place……..
    Planning a CD today and my usual FD tomorrow then a weekly weigh in on Tuesday as that was Day 1 of this challenge so 🤞🎯

@lilymartin – good to read that your MOJO is intact and that sounds like a good plan to move forward
    @funshipfreddie – wise words – I always enjoy your positive and encouraging words and your quote resonated with me too……..but for now I will persevere with trying for moderation instead of total abstinence – I gave up alcohol for the whole of Easter this year and I find that I can easily reduce my 🍷 intake to just 3 days/week…….so this month I’m working on cutting back on those days……I know that I am capable of self control and moderation 😇
    @stitchincarol – “Fasting Fatigue and the discipline required to focus on goals” gets a big YES here – I am trying to remind myself that I gained so many other positive changes in my life (Fasting and weight loss – 3.5 stones/22kg) and how uncomfortable I feel even at the weight I am at currently….those extra 3kgs do need to go ……BTW “eating crow” is familiar here too
    @daffodil2010 – it will be fantastic to get the problem of your constant low level toothache sorted out finally and under sedation too…..good news on that nice number on the scales that you haven’t seen in 6 months 👍
    @merryapple – NZ came back in that 2nd half to beat Australia 23 – 20 🏈
    @maui – nice to see you back with us 🤗 and I’m also back on daily MFP use this month
    @northgeorgia – Thank you for sharing your observations of your journey so far. I suspect that your words “eating after 8 pm, snacking, and choices of foods and drinks that have little nutritional value and taming the NFDs” resonated with a lot of us here – Personally I know that snacking after 8pm is one of my bad habits, especially if wine has been involved that evening – STAY Positive and Encouraged in your journey and keep in mind the health gains of weight loss
    @funshipfreddie – Again wise words and absolutely correct “IT’S A CHOICE” so thank you 🙏 for reminding me that I wanted to adopt a sustainable lifestyle that’s going to give me the body I want and I want to live a long and healthy life – It certainly is not easy and I’m reminding myself daily that IF isn’t a quick-fix but a lifestyle and I’m in it for the long haul…..

A pleasant Sunday morning spent baking for OH post runs carbo loading – Raspberry and Ginger scones and Blackcurrants, Pistachio and Date flapjacks and catching up on the forum in between……

All done now so time for a shower then a 8 mile walk before meeting friends for a coffee and chat (no scones/cakes – promise!!)

“Losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, staying overweight is hard. Choose your hard.”

Day 6-No. VA USA-FD 800

checking in for accountability. Weight not going up, hovering around the same # for the past week.
    Will post more later this week!

Day 6 – USA/GA – FD

And what a good start to the FD at 222 lbs (barely, but still!)… That’s the lowest Sunday weigh-in since June, so looks like a move in the right direction. Hopefully, that means I’ll see a 210-something weigh-in in the morning.

It’s a crazy week, so I don’t know when my next FD will be. Thursday is out, as it’s my local leadership training that includes breakfast and lunch and lots of outdoor walking that day. Tuesday is a board meeting at lunch time. And I was told a former colleague would like to have lunch with us sometime next week. I could possibly skip the board meeting lunch or ask to catch up with the colleague “next time.” Will be difficult!
    Then there is the property nightmare my mom is still having. Of course pending is still the huge tree that fell (subdivision cut up their side already), and the shop building needing re-roofing. The old refrigerator in the shop is starting to overheat again. The washing machine drain got clogged, and ejected mud, hair, and leaves into the machine, causing the water to overflow onto the floor of the utility room. My brother helped get it unclogged, but I came back later and noticed the door to the dryer was so hot you could cook meat on it. Looks like the flooded floors short-circuited some regulator on the dryer. As my mom got the mail, she noted a spot on the chimney where the siding was ripped off — apparently something we overlooked from the storms a few weeks ago. Then while putting clean sheets on her bed, the entire frame moved off the supports. It was not a good day. I did take her out for lunch yesterday though, knowing the evening would be crazy — just didn’t now it would double in craziness 🙂

@stitchincarol Yeah, I just say I’m not eating that day. I do try to bring up my FD the day before in casual conversation, which probably seemed weird at first, but I’ve been doing it for three years now, so it’s accepted. The problem is on NFDs, and the difference would be the tendency for my brother’s family to eat much later than what my dad used to eat at (and therefore, my mom, too). I would try to eat within an hour of getting home, so usually around 6 to 7 p.m. With school resuming next week, maybe their eating habits will get earlier, too. And if I’m not careful, there are snacks galore at her house to tempt me (I have them at mine, too, but not as tempting — nuts, stale crackers, pork rinds LOL… no chips, pretzels, ice cream, soft drinks, chocolate (usually) because I know my weaknesses). And although she is a pack-rat, she is efficient at ensuring food is eaten from the refrigerator by continuously offering an array of menu options haha!

As @funshipfreddie said, time to pull up the big boy pants and get on with it. (OK, not literally…I need to drop a few more waist sizes!!) The IF will work, but only if I allow it to by not sabotaging most NFDs. No dieting — no deprivation of those foods and treats on SPECIAL OCCASIONS which are not, by the way, every Tuesday and Friday, haha! Gotta remember to recognize real hunger and real foods for most days of the week. And balance out those crazy Special Occasion meals/treats … don’t double dip and have a second indulgent meal or mindless snacking that same day!

Good luck this week!

Pocket List – Day 6 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 6 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 160.4

I did wonderfully with my CD (1200) yesterday, had it all planned out, even to the ounces of wine I’d allow myself…and then I had just the tiniest spoonfull of sprinkles (jimmies) that get put on cakes/cupcakes/doughnuts as a treat. And without even THINKING about it, I had more and more. And more. And more. And I truly wasn’t ignoring my voice that said to quit because there was no voice.

Gah.

THAT, @funshipfreddie, is why I think things to death, because I forget to remember if I forget to think! 😂🤣😂 So I am guessing I ended up around 1500 for the day, which is TDEE, but those sprinkles have loads of calories, so it well could be worse. Lesson learned: don’t forget to think, even when you’ve entered everything in MFP (truly! I did!) and think you’re good for the day.

That said, @funshipfreddie, your post was so eloquent and very true. Back in 2021, when my mojo was at an all-time high, I would often think to myself that the solution was simpler than people thought–you simply DO it. Don’t “try,” don’t figure it’s all up to luck, don’t “hope,” simply DO it. But if you don’t have the mojo then “just do it” is not an answer that helps at all. My niece is one who, if she decides to do something, simply does it. Her attitude was behind my post (perhaps also in August 2021?) when I talked about the promises we make to others that we’d never think of breaking, and the need to apply the same commitment to promises we make ourselves. The fact that you see it as such a simple answer shows how skilled you are at following through on your commitments. I aspire to be as good as you by the end of next week!

@metatauta So good to hear from you, and delighted your head’s still in the game!

@merryapple I’m eager to hear that your weigh-in today brought you joy and made you feel audacious!

@at Your commitment to baking for your husband is so lovely…although, if my DH were more inclined to eat after a run, I’d be inclined to bake also, LOL! He’s one who finishes a run and can’t STAND the thought of eating, however, so I’ve never had that joy. What’s particularly impressive about your baking is that you only have the tiniest nibbles of all the goodies you bake for him! And your “choose your hard” quote? I laughed out loud and am still laughing. Excellent point!

@excelsior12309 Good to hear from you and pleased for you that you’re not gaining. That’s called maintenance, right? So as long as you’re not gaining, you’re training well for when you reach your desired weight and need to stay in maintenance!

@northgeorgia I think you’re right, that your weigh-in tomorrow will be in the 210-somethings; well done. And, Oh. My. Word. The problems your mom is having are never-ending, aren’t they? Yikes, yikes, and more yikes! Your week ahead indeed sounds difficult to navigate and include a FD, but I’ll bet you’ll find a solution with sufficient determination. But it’ll take determination, not luck, so don’t forget the ban on this forum this month for the L word!! 🤪😂😂😂 And, given how tough this week is going to be for you, I’m going to wish you in particular that your week is full of the pain of discipline! 😍😉💪👍

@maui Nice results yesterday to land at 950, even with going out to lunch. And to be walking also? Well done!

DH and I are driving in to Omaha today. I can’t remember–OH! Just remembered the biggest reason shy I wanted to drive in, so we’ll do that errand and also go to Sam’s (a big-box membership store, if it’s not familiar to everyone), and then out for oysters or sushi. Oysters have far fewer calories, so hopefully DH will be good with that choice.

Have a grand one, everyone, and may your day be filled with the pain of discipline! (rather than, of course, the pain of regret…)

Day 6 USA/Hawai’i CFD
    Quick sign in as I am off to work a full day at the gallery today so must walk home and get ready.
    On positive note I walked on my favorite beachside boardwalk yesterday for 30 minutes. This morning I took short walk front house to the beach park which is on 4 minutes but did fog back and forth a few time at the park. Right now getting out the door in the morning is major so I am pleased.
    Yesterday’s FD800 ended up 950 as I had lunch with my DS54 and a close artist friend.
    All the best to everyone here!

Day 7, FD, Aus

I do so enjoy your posts @stitchincarol – they resonate with my thinking (which I need to put into action). Fasting Fatigue is definitely something I identify with. Completely unrealistically, I expect to see immediate results after a FD, then I get frustrated when I don’t.

Day 7 FD NZ 86.2kg

I’m up and it’s a FD and I feel quite hungry… I’ll stay out of the kitchen until 4 pm… (I edited out “try” @stitchincarol!) I had Mac and cheese and salad last night. I measured out the pasta – 62gm. It’s a journey🙂
    I can’t quite fathom the best balance for standing on the scales. If I do it daily I start obsessing and if it’s once or twice a week I lose track…
    @at Your tasting meal sounds so interesting. And the Silver Ferns lost their semifinal to the Roses. What a match though!
    @northgeorgia Your mother’s afternoon sounds like material for a short domestic horror film. Who ever heard of bed sheets causing a bed to fall apart!
    @maui Your walk sounds lovely.

One week down, three to go!
    Steely Resolve one and all.

Second post

Pocket List 🤐
    @penz
    @merry🍎

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.7 kg

A good start to the week with a FD already out of the way – Monday morning PFDS 😇

@stitchincarol – I wondered if you’d pick up on that naughty ‘L’ word at the end of @northgeorgia‘s post 😂

@northgeorgia – from Carol’s first post of AA August:- “So how about it? Can we * Absolutely ban the words try/hope/luck from our posts and our mindsets in August?”

Sending steely RESOLVE to the Monday fasters, & wishing you all Tuesday morning PFDS 🎯💪

“When you want something so badly, you just do it. You don’t think about how hard it’s going to be.” ~ Lisa Vidal

Day 7 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 219.8 lbs, but it still counts 🙂

As I couldn’t decide when the next FD would be as Tuesday is out and Thursday, and probably Wednesday, and Friday/Saturday is nearly impossible — that only left one possibility of control… yikes! So I choose today. Instead of a FD, I’ll probably eat a light salad and/or cucumber when I get home; a well under 500 calorie day.

In light of the ban (oops), I shall say, “may you all find strength!”

Pocket List – day 7 🤐
    @penz
    @merry🍎
    @northgeorgia

Day 7 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800 perhaps? – 160.4

The scale actually said 161.6 when I first stood on it, and I stared in astonishment since it said 160.6 right before I went to bed. So I got off and got on again. 160.4 I again stared in astonishment because I always lose a couple of pounds overnight. So two more times I got on and it stuck to 160.4. I kinda hate my scale for just that wishy-washy reason. I “stole” my long-time scale from my mom when I moved out on my own back in 1978; I think it’s older than I am (64 years). Then, following the tradition, my youngest “stole” it from me when he moved out in 2009. When I was staring at my stupid scale this morning, my first through was, “I want my real scale back!!”

Anyway. I apparently weigh 160.4.

I’m headed out to weed in a little bit; I’ll have a built-in timer of when I have to quit because we’re going to go see my MIL this afternoon, but even so it’ll be great physical activity because there’s nowhere to sit to pull these weeds, so I’ll be bent over double and pulling hard on those giants.

====================

@penz What kind of immediate results are you looking for after a FD? Good scale number? Improved fit of clothing? Both? I don’t blame you, because I think Fasting Fatigue is real when we’ve been doing 5:2 (well, sort of “doing”) for so long, and we’re still waiting to achieve and maintain our desired results. Without being able to have a long face-to-face conversation together with you, my thoughts are likely a bit off kilter, but for what it’s worth, I would think your focus needs to be “Well, I may not be losing weight, and it may be a long time before I lose weight, but I know for certain–based on all the research I’ve read–that fasting twice a week is healthy for my body, so this is something I’m choosing to do for health reasons as well as for hopes of losing weight. Whether I eat “reasonably” or not on NFDs does not negate the benefit of two FDs each week–benefits I can’t see, but know are there–so I’m going to focus on the health benefit of fasting as my first step. When I’ve succeeded with that, I’ll take the next step of figuring out how to deal with NFDs.” What do you think? Is that a mindset that feels natural and reasonable for you to adopt as your own? I’m right there with you of having had Fasting Fatigue (can we now call it FF?) for a long time, and have been struggling to find the thoughts to encourage myself back on track.

@merryapple Well done on removing “try” from your sentence; that shows a great alertness to how our words affect our actions. What’s left in those words, then, is a promise you’ve made to yourself. When I first started the discipline of keeping my promises to myself (a skill I’m still developing, LOL!), I often promised the forum; it somehow made it easier to see it as a “real” promise and harder to break. So is that a step you’re interested in taking, to promise all of us you’ll stay out of the kitchen until 4? Or perhaps promising yourself feels enough for you–we’re all very different in what sorts of help and tricks we need. As to how often to weigh, I can’t help you because I weigh every morning, and often every night. 😂 I’m clearly addicted… Oh, and BTW, the mac and cheese may be partly to blame for how hungry you are this morning; it was only when I learned about carbs in some detail that I discovered a carb-heavy supper the night before a FD made the FD that much harder. Knowing that, however, has made it easier to convince myself that I’m not “actually hungry” but that the carbs are telling my body that I’m hungry. Silly, I know, but it helps me…

@funshipfreddie Not only did I pick up on that L word, I knew you would as well!!

@northgeorgia Yikes, indeed, to do b2b FDs, and I admire your fortitude to make the call! THIS is the behavior of the man from two years ago who was actively losing weight. But I think you meant instead of a LIQUID/WATER FD, because by definition a “FD” is 500 calories, and I think your decision not to do a WFD today is wise. And your alternate phrase is perfect, so I’ll wish it back to you: “May you find strength!!” Another I like is “You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.” And @funshipfreddie‘s is good and funny, both: “After all, it’s only food.” 🤪😂💪👍

And with that, I’ve responded to each post, so I’ll head outside now. it’s only 63/17 and little wind, so perfect weather to weed.

Have a grand one, everyone.

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” — Jim Rohn

So in that spirit, I wish you all the pain of discipline! ❤️👍

Pocket List – day 7 🤐
    @penz
    @merry🍎
    @northgeorgia

Day 7 UK FD

LONG day and not eaten yet – just 2 x marmite tea, 1.5 litres water and 3 x decaf black coffee. I’m about to rustle up some v speedy courgette, pea and bean soup followed by pear, strawberry and peach with vegan yogurt and a few seeds. Determined to get an actual FD500 under my belt this week!

It was supposed to be a quiet catch up day but a couple of unexpected zooms, cleaner here for 3 hours and realising quite how much I have to do before holiday next week…. But a slower start tomorrow as my PA is here for ‘Tent Tuesday’! We’ll try putting up several tents to see which one will work for me at the end of the month…. I hope at least one of them otherwise I’ll be sleeping in the open air!

I’ll catch up on posts tomorrow xx

Day 7 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅

Hi all, just back and checking in.
    Active and enjoyable time was had but very tired now. Off to bed and to reset again for a new week 😊
    Hope everyone is well.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 8 NFD NZ 86.3kg

Hmmm… I was on track then had an out-of-town visitor turn up with a late lunch for all of us of sticky, hot, fatty pork dim sum. Mr Mac was delirious with joy! I then had an evening of patchy eating and tasting because I was slow cooking a big pot of shin stew in preparation for the World Cup semifinal’s game. I didn’t have a clear idea of what I was going to eat and ended up with bread, dim sum, couscous with tomatoey juice from the stew and a boiled egg. The moral of the story is planning. Normally on a FD I know exactly what I’m going to eat in the evening. It is not a great idea to cook on a FD even if it is just chop and tip cooking…
    Thank you @stitchincarol I’ll try a protein/veg dinner prior to FDs and see how I get on..
    Best wishes to all.

Day 8, NFD, Aus

Basking in PFDS this morning. There is such wonderful support in this forum – thank you all!

Yes indeed, @stitchincarol, I think you’ve coined a new acronym. FF.

Your musings were again spot on. Also, @funshipfreddie‘s comment of it being only food. I eat often without really tasting or relishing each mouthful. It’s more about instant gratification and habit, than anything mindful or in response to (genuine) hunger. I am listening more to my body. When I was younger – when I had more energy too! – I was habitually a OMAD person. I just wasn’t hungry/interested in food until dinner time. Occasionally, I’d have something small for lunch but that was in response to my body telling me it needed fuel. I will get back to that space.

Day 8 – Ireland 🇮🇪 -NFD

Lovely loooong weekend, jumped off the scales this morning in horror however,meter all be water weight!!!! Cannot really fast as I have huge antibiotics to take for the toothache and the course finishes Thursday morning (I need to have them with food), but already they are messing up my good gut bacteria.

But all will be well. I have read all the chatter, go on guys, you are all doing well,we will do this.

Got to go to work and see what damage nearly a week off work has done to my work queue 😆

Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@penz – it’s great to hear that you – & hopeful all the Monday fasters – are basking in PFDS this morning! 😊

@merryapple – feeling hungry in the mornings, especially on a FD, must be tough! It never happens to me. But I think I just discovered why – my brain is too small. No surprise there 🤣 https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12381467/Overweight-brain-fail-eaten-enough.html

Busy busy; have a great day y’all

“Do it no matter what. If you believe in it, it is something very honourable. If somebody around you or your family does not understand it, then that’s their problem. But if you do have a passion, an honest passion, just do it. ~ Mario Andretti

Day 8 – UK – FD
    Day 6 and 7 – definitely NFD and 🍷 was definitely involved

I did brave the scales and 🫣 62.5kg……I know some of that is water retention but still 0.9kg up in the past week……so pressing a firm RESET button and TODAY WILL BE A FD!

So lovely to have some sunshine again over the past couple of days and again today – I’m out soon for a wander in the sunshine ☀️ with my regular Tuesday walking group

This afternoon I have a new gardener coming to assess my wilderness – I have given up with trying to sort out my garden since my last gardener gave up last year……I have tried to warn him what awaits him 🤣 I do enjoy sitting in a nice garden but not keen on doing the work required myself……and OH is no better!

I’ll try to catch up on the posts this afternoon as I suspect I will need the support of the group to stay on track for a good FD500 🙏

Pocket List – day 8 🎯
    @at

Day 8 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 217 lbs. Cool — lowest weigh-in since June! The B2B FDs worked, with day one being a WFD and day two being a FD500 (actually more like FD200 or less). No big difference between when I used to do B2B WFDs and this, and I do prefer this way haha. I saw some folks talk about the Ridiculously Big Salad a couple of years ago but never tried it until last night. I took an English cucumber, half a head of romaine, and a few leaves of cabbage, shredded up the leaves, added salt, pepper, dill, and garlic powder, then dowsed it in balsamic vinegar in a big mixing bowl. LOL! It was funny to eat that next to my mom, who had a small reasonable sized plate of salad with ranch. I was stuffed, but — well, I knew it was wise to wait until I was home. Let’s just say you never want to break a day and a half WFD with a ton of fiber rich, water filled greens WHOOPS!

Now for the continuous NFDs this week GRRRR… Will have to balance out the days and not overeat in the evenings since meals are provided at lunch each day through Thursday. Probably skip lunch on Friday. Anyway, some strategic thinking and resolve helped jump down 8 lbs in about a week, so it is definitely the NFDs I need to focus on.

And, 217 lbs means I met my goal for August (yeah, I had to increase it slightly each month since April)! I bet I can go lower.

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800 – 160.4

According MFP, I hit 865 calories yesterday, and called that a success because I ate exactly what I’d planned and nothing more, and that’s what it added up to. Here’s a tip for those of you who are as reluctant to use MFP to record food as I’ve always been: do it on your laptop/desktop. Or even your tablet? I don’t have one, so don’t know if I’d find it as easy as my laptop, but I can say I don’t dread the process NEARLY so much on my laptop as I did on my phone.

I ended up spending 3.5 hours in the yard yesterday and pulled a bushel of weeds. Well, perhaps…I don’t actually know what a bushel looks like. But it was a lot, and I was exhausted, so figured that I not only dramatically improved how things looked, but got some helpful exercise while I was at it. I’m struggling to find interest in going out and doing it again today, so we’ll see what I end up doing. I have the day off from lessons (it’s my summer “vacation” before the school year starts over the next two weeks around here), so am not going to do a WF since I’m home.

======================

Wow, @michelinme, to go from no fasting and eating too much to not yet having eaten at all at 8:21? Your determination ROCKS, lady! But what did I miss that you need a tent for the end of the month?

@jaifaim Welcome back from your good weekend; escapes and play like that are always such a joy, aren’t they?

@merryapple Yeah, I’m doing wonderfully right now with sticking to my plan, but I don’t have unexpected company dropping in, and doubt I’d succeed if I did, so you have my complete sympathy. Shrug it off and keep on keeping on, right? I’ll be curious to see if you find it easier to start your next FD by avoiding most carbs the evening before.

@penz Well done for your PFDS! The thing that I spent most of June and July thinking about was how did my body, and specifically my belly, feel at any given time: when I woke up in the morning, after I’d eaten, before I went to sleep, when I woke up in the middle of the night. And the only time I really enjoyed how it felt was on WFDs. A too-full belly is not pleasant, and it sounds like you had the knowledge of that in the very core of yourself when you were younger.

@daffodil2010 Welcome back, and I’m so glad you had such a lovely long weekend away; may the ugly number on the scale be EOEO!!!

@funshipfreddie I chuckled when you were brief in your words this morning and then said you had to rush as you have a busy day: you are proof of retirees being surprisingly busy!

@at I smiled that you’re meeting with a gardener today, the day after I spent such joyful extended time pulling weeds in my own; we all have our own specific joys, don’t we? I hope this gardener is all that you’re hoping for, and look forward to your chatter this afternoon as you gather your RESOLVE around you to stay the course for today’s FD.

@northgeorgia 217 had to have been a gorgeous sight for you this morning! Well done!

@maui I’m thinking of you!

@excelsior12309 How’s DH? Is he home and doing better?

Okay, time to sort out my day and what I’ll actually put on my to-do list. But first, coffee!

Pocket List – day 8 🎯
    @at
    @stitchincarol FD800 or even 500?

Have a grand one, everyone.

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” — Jim Rohn

So in that spirit, I wish you all the pain of discipline! ❤️👍

2nd Post – Day 8

@songbirdme – I got logged out of WW Friends & can’t get back in. So I had to use a different email address. I can’t remember your profile name, & I started a game with the wrong Gwynne 🙄 My profile is now funshipfreddie

Day 8 – Ireland – FD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅

Late check in today… it has been all go here today but I haven’t got to eat yet which is good for a FD. Will have one nice meal later and head to bed early…. I am still tired after an active weekend and also a few drenchings 💦💦 but was lots of fun as you guessed @stitchincarol 😊

Great to see that Audacious August is working out to be just that for some of you 💪 It is great when you begin to see the results if all the hard work. ⭐️

I’m bobbing here again but know what I need to do and have the motivation to get back to maintenance range by Friday. Today’s FD will help 👍

@stitchincarol I use MFP on my phone.. never did try on my tablet etc.. maybe I’ll see how easy it is although I’m now in the habit of logging food and feel better for it.

@merryapple all of that food sounds just scrumptious 😋 I can’t cook or bake on a FD and actually am much better off being in work as there are super healthy ready to eat options.. no chopping or grating required.. 👍

Joining @at and @stitchincarol for a FD 🎯

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – day 8 🎯
    @at
    @stitchincarol FD800 or even 500?
    @jaifaim

Second Post

It’s been a busy morning, hunting to find some suddenly-important papers for DS31 that are 25 years old, and sorting out papers that can be thrown away, and calling for a prescription refill for DH, and making him an appointment for his vertigo hopefully–you know, nothing dramatic, but all VERY distracting, and I was getting hungry and thinking about what I’d make for lunch–

WAIT!

Golly, I almost forgot today is supposed to be at least a FD800 if not FD500, and I’m very much currently not of the mindset to do either one. So I’ve come back to talk myself off the ledge, remind myself hunger is not an emergency, remind myself hunger is God’s gift to me, yada, yada, yada–all the stuff I’ve been saying each day to have such stellar results so far, but had nearly forgotten.

Okay, hunger IS God’s gift to me, because it’s much better than the pain of regret, and hunger is NOT an emergency, so I’ll go drink some water, and I’ll be fine. WHEW!

=================== While I’m here…

@funshipfreddie It makes me giggle that you have to use the forum to find @songbirdme on Wordle, LOL!

@jaifaim If you’ve already established an ease with logging food on MFP using your phone, then I say “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” So glad you’re pulling of a real and complete FD500 today; that will indeed help get you back down to that goal weight.

Okay, more hunting through old paperwork, and tossing unimportant stuff while I’m at it. Good thing I didn’t try to weed, because I need to be doing this.

Day 8 USA (Illinois) NFD

Today was a blood donation day, so “lost” my pound via pint this morning. Been incredibly busy with our Choral Society Concert on Sunday juggling around location with likely storms. They never fully materialized, but we did the concert in the air conditioned church where we rehearse, and many people were just as glad. Our park band shell is a wonderful venue, but we got dumped on with rain there a few years ago, so once burned, twice shy.

Something about this time of year, the fruit people bring me mean raspberry crisp, strawberry shortcake, and you know the like. I haven’t lost a pound yet this month, well except my pint of blood!

@stitchincarol – whew, to come home to melted refrigerator and freezer contents. Ugh! What a way to clean it out?! We are buying a new one for our new house this fall, but the one we have we bought when we moved in here 36 years ago! I keep expecting it to fail… but it hasn’t! Some plastic is broken in the door shelves and the seals won’t clean, but it stays cold!

@funshipfreddie – yes, found you, David! Funny, this is how we communicate!

Onward and downward.

Day 8 UK FD800

Super-quick check in for accountability. A Long Day but some fun focus in the midst, as I prepare for a camping trip at the end of the month!

Yesterday was a successful FD600 which will do me. But I’m feeling v puffy still after weekend encounters with sugar and carbs. I’ve only eaten over TDEE one day but my body really doesn’t like what I’ve been doing – as evidenced by the fact I’ve put ON 2lbs so far this month!! So I’m taking advantage of the FD under my belt and tacking on another one.

Tomorow will be NFD then another FD on Thurs. There’s TONS of healthy food in my fridge and cupboards and all I have to do is Eat It!

Coming back tomorrow to catch up on posts xx

Day 9, NFD, Aus

Hello all! not much report from my side of the world; but checking in to catch up on news.

Well done @northgeorgia!! You are back on that wagon and waving at the crowds!

Day 9 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD (still on meds)

Phew, so this morning showed a 2.5 loss, so it was water weight after all, but stil still need a nudge more so I can see my lovely Friday weigh in figure again.

It’s not an FD due to having to take the antibiotics with food, but it’s nice and simple and protein rich. DH caught a load of mackerel at the weekend so we will be finishing off those for dinner tonight.

I am soooooo not a fishermans wife. He was doing all the catching and cleaning and preparation for cooking, me, I kept well away from all that unpleasantness 😨
    They will be delicious pan fried for dinner.

Way to go @northgeorgia 👍

Gosh, and I have to go. Work is mad busy and people off, ringing in sick, on annual leave….the shenanigans of it all.

Day 9 – UK – FD800

After a good FD yesterday – I admit that it was nearer 600 than the planned 500 but my weight this morning was 61.3kg a drop of 1.2kg so like @daffodil2010 looks like yesterday’s over the top weight was mostly water retention from salt and alcohol consumed over the long weekend……

Today is a planned FD800 – Yoga this morning, last class of the current block before our teacher has 3 weeks off with her boy – coffee afterwards with the gang and I WILL BE AVOIDING ANY CAKES

@northgeorgia – well below 220 – way to go!!!
    @stitchincarol – The gardener was just right for us, he has a plan for tackling the issues and he can repair the fence between us and the next door neighbour – the ivy on their side has taken over and threatening to take down the whole fence!!! Turns out he is the husband of one of my yogi/pilates friends……I told him he wasn’t allowed to tell her how bad my garden had got…..🤣🤣
    @maui – you are in my thoughts – your husband was a lucky man having such a loving family around him❤️ and as you say he his now at rest in a beautiful setting and you can go there and talk to him anytime
    @daffodil2010 – mackerel is one of OH and my favourite fish – I have several recipes that are our go to whenever we can get some

I am going to input my meals for today into MFP as motivation to stick to that 800 calories I’m allowing myself, then a quick shower and get organised for yoga class 🧘‍♀️

Pocket List – day 9 🎯
    @at

Day 9 – Ireland – CD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅

Hi all, I hope everyone is well.
    This week feels like a struggle even though I am motivated…
    Good <500 FD yesterday but no reflection on the scales today – I had to look 👀 … like others I had quite a lot of salty foods over the weekend although didn’t really overeat but maybe my body is holding on to what it doesn’t want to let go 🤣

@stitchincarol I understand that distraction… I have a few bits and pieces of paperwork I really need to locate but have not been able to knuckle down and look for them.. medical notes mostly…

@songbirdme great to hear you are keeping busy and well done on the blood donation. 👏

@michelinme great that you are going 🏕️! What fun! I was taking about camping last weekend as the hotel prices here are just shocking! But we ended up in a great Airbnb.

Well done on the loss @daffodil2010 you’re on the road back down again…. It’s amazing how all of our bodies are so different… I don’t remember ever showing a drop after a NFD – mind you I should maybe pay a little more attention to the fluctuations of my body… knowledge is power right 😄

And @at too bravo 👏👏👏

Bravo @northgeorgia you should be very proud 💪 and hi to @funshipfreddie, @penz and @merryapple and who I expect will be along later 😄

Sending hugs @maui – your walk sounds beautiful 🏝️ and well done for getting out the door 💕
    @excelsior12309 I hope everything is ok with your DH.

@metatauta I expect you are there reading posts…and hope you are getting some rest.

Right work calls…
    Have a good day one and all.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 267 total)

You must be logged in to reply.