Audacious and Achievable August 2023

This topic contains 267 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Penz 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 267 total)

• There are many personalities on this forum, and some of you are not fans of being “audacious.” But I would submit that, when all is going wonderfully with your 5:2 journey–not moderately okay, not “fine,” but wonderfully–then you can’t help but feel audacious!

I would further submit that, with some serious RESOLVE (more on that in a moment), being Audacious in August is Achievable.

First, a definition. Audacious as I’m using it means daring, spirited, adventurous. If you want to read the details of the word’s history, here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/audacious But let’s discuss what Audacious has to do with August.

I’ve done this journey several times now of gaining weight, losing weight, gaining it back, losing it again…and while I’m getting better and better at learning what particularly motivates me, and what triggers are likely to lead me to abandonning 5:2, I have a distance to go before I’ve lost my extra weight and have learned how to keep it off permanently. So, you could be justified in questioning if I am qualified to lead an “audacious” journey in August…after all, July–just as an example–certainly wasn’t particularly audacious for me!

Here’s where RESOLVE comes in, and the best explanation is to repeat most of what I wrote in August 2021, when my key word was “Aspire”:

What’s going to be different about this month, so that the success we all aspire to actually takes place? We none of us aspire to over-eating, to letting down our guard, to being indifferent to our goals. So why do we sometimes fall so abysmally short of reaching them? Something has to change, but what??

I don’t know–-oh, that I did!!–-but I think it centers around our mindset. I think that we all THINK we resolve to do well each day…but we’re actually stating a wish, not a true resolve. “Resolve, to firmly settle on a course of action.” There’s no “hoping” involved in “resolve,” right? I don’t know about you, but I seldom actually “resolve” to eat correctly on any given day, I “hope to eat correctly”…and when I give in to temptation, I’m seldom anything but resigned. I’m resigned because, in the back of my mind, I know I was merely hoping, I wasn’t truly resolved.

So what does resolve look like for you? Like a firm course of action, or more like a weak hope? Can you resolve something today and truly mean it, not simply “hope”?

That’s what I wrote then. Now in 2023, my challenge to you as you prepare for August is to think through how often you actually RESOLVE and when you’re actually merely hoping. I challenge you to think through how you can change your meager hopes into audacious RESOLVE. And how you can set goals that are actually Achievable. Because, for example, you can RESOLVE all you want to lose 40 pounds in August, but that just ain’t gonna happen, right?

But. If you set a goal of having, say, 9 successful FDs in August and you actually have 9 successful FDs in August that you can call that Audacious! And knowing how we all struggle with NFDs, even more Audacious would be to have NFDs that don’t go over whatever you set as your goal. Never mind whether you lose weight in August, or how much you lose, because you cannot force your body to lose weight. But you can most certainly control whether or not you stick to your FD/NFD goals.

So how about it? Can we

* Absolutely ban the words try/hope/luck from our posts and our mindsets in August?
    * Set a goal not for how many pounds we’ll lose, but for how we’ll behave? For example, “I’ll fast twice a week without fail”?
    * And since NFDs seem to be the Waterloos for all of us, what achievable goals can we set where they are concerned?

That’s it for now. Thoughts? Are you ready to set Audacious but Achievable goals for August??

These monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. Goals can be overwhelming when viewed as a whole. But by breaking them down into small achievable pieces (monthly challenges), we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time in bite-sized monthly challenges. Here’s how it works:

1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading. THIS IS THE ONE TRUE RULE OF THE GROUP, SO PLEASE DON’T IGNORE THIS DETAIL.

2. In your first post, introduce yourself to the group – helps us to get to know each other, especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.

3. Spreadsheet – we will hopefully have a spreadsheet available and we will post the link on a separate post when we have it. It will be in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose.

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post eg Day 1 second post. Past history shows that posting every day truly does help with motivation for staying on track with your goals, so please don’t feel shy about suddenly posting daily; we love new members!

5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity.

7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket, knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

As this month’s host, I will read and respond to every post. My job as host–at least, as I see it–is to reply to everyone’s post every day, and to be kind and encouraging for where you are in your journey. There’s plenty of discouragement and frustration in this world already without your host adding more, LOL! I am gone from home from now until August 4, however, so my many thanks to @songbirdme for stepping in a bit to start us off. ❤️

And by way of translation, we use a LOT of abbreviations. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:
    5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
    16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
    AF – Alcohol-free
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

Day 1 – USA

Hi! Thanks for hosting….please put me on the spreadsheet, as I am continuing to achieve my goal during August of 138! Thank you!

Hey @stitchincarol, what truly motivational words in your opening post! Count me in to be audacious and to resolve for August!!!

Count me in for AA August Carol! Thanks for setting up the Challenge , & for giving us plenty to think about in your intro!

Anticipating audacious and actually-motivated, awfully active, August to access assistance and adiposity away !!
    Count me IN !!! please. 😀

Welcome, @metatauta, @daffodil2010, @funshipfreddie, and @lilymartin (whose skill at alliteration is breathtaking!).

I’m in for my first full month in yonks! Thanks for hosting @stitchincarol x

It says I posted here but I don’t see it? It was long winded it may still be loadng 😂
    Well I can see this one!
    I’m in…what a wonderful post!
    Jaye in England.
    Long story short I was here 8 years ago, lost 5 stone in a year and felt fantastic even though I was still 14 stone. Had 2 big surgeries and fell of the wagon. Tried many times and failed to get back on. Up/down up/down with my weight. Was finding it impossible to loose and then started 16-8 a month ago. Lost 11lbs and thought I would come back on here as it was a great support for me back then. I may go back to 5:2, I’ll work up to a full fast.

Here’s what I saw on email, but I don’t see it here either… what a way to be welcomed back, @jayegirl, to have your first post swallowed!

Hi, I’m Jaye in England. Thank you for a very inspiring post! Please sign me up! I’m back after 7 yrs! I used to be on here a LOT back then. I lost 5 stone in a yr and reduced my BMI to 33 from 49. Sadly I fell of the edge of the world never mind the wagon Lol. I had 2 big surgeries and became a carboholic again. I’ve been up and down over and over and once again started at my heaviest 4 wks ago. I’m trying 16-8 but it’s more like 18-6. I’m finding it great so far and would like to work back up to 5:2. I long for that yr I was completely in control of food, kicked sugar and lost loads of weight! I’ve dropped 11lbs and hoping that I’m staving off diabetes!
    I have the Simple app on a trial, it’s not bad but the so called support page that goes with it on Facebook is anything but supportive! Full of people spouting about only a clean fast is a real fast and berating people for asking basic questions. I left a footnote and left the group lol. This place was Always supportive, kind, informative and fun. I’m looking forward to connecting with you all. I’m home a lot so tend to read the posts.
    Can anyone pkease give me the name of the American Dr (female) that did the original study re fasting and diabetes that Michael Mosley based his 5:2 on? I used to have her on Facebook but must have deleted her.
    Here’s to a Audacious August. Which is my birthday month and I have 2 cake days (afternoon tea with the girls and lunch/cake with my family) after none for 4 weeks 😳😂🎂

Welcome @jayegirl – glad you are back! We all know this is the best way to get unwanted pounds off and health regained!

@jayegirl – welcome back. I think the Dr you’re referring to is Krista Varady? Author of ‘The Every Other Day Diet’. She was also in Dr Mosley’s ‘Eat, Fast & Live Longer’ documentary.

@michelinme How lovely to be starting a full and complete month!

@at I’m hoping you’ll be here to do the spreadsheet?

I want to be audacious! Sign me up for August and may my mindset be one of “I want to be thin!” 🙂

Welcome to @jayegirl and thanks to @stitchincarol for hosting this month!

Yay, @northgeorgia, PERFECT attitude. 😉💪 I’ll think that right along with you, and hopefully that attitude–and its accompanying behavior–will soon have us at 149/209!!!

Howdy @stitchincarol! I’m up for being a little audacious in August so very much looking forward to it! Thank
    you for taking the baton from @merryapple 🌟

Hi @jayegirl and welcome back!

Hi @stitchincarol I’m still lurking in the background but struggling as I can’t find my MOJO and hold on to it for any length of time but perhaps Audacious and Achievable August 2023 might do it for me!!

Anyhow thank you for taking on hosting duties and I hope to log in daily for motivation 🤞but I promise to weigh in on Day 1 and log in to see how far I have strayed from my 57kg target weight……..

Here is a link to the spreadsheet for those interested in using one
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ybPvqfzwOIR57LT-6TRtAXow88iJMODjgXwd_v0NLNU/edit?usp=sharing

I am reminding myself of my personal motto that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Yay, @jaifaim and @at, we’re glad to have the two of you here; you’re both full of wisdom on successfuly sticking to 5:2 (despite your current frustrations, @at, it’s nonetheless VERY true!), so we’ll treasure any suggestions and insights you offer!

Okay, it’s time to sleep and be ready for another packed day tomorrow.

Day 1 NFD NZ 85.1kg

Goodness gracious me! Another woosh! My plan is to sit back and be wise about eating as my body balances itself. I didn’t have time during my weekend weaving classes to eat much lunch and then had a Monday FD so my overall intake was down. Now I want to stabilise / flatline / regroup and head with audacious enthusiasm and steely resolve into August.

I began 5:2 here in 2018 and made it to 78.5kg in time for an overseas trip. I returned to the fold in January 2023 at 93kg and have quietly dropped at a rate of around 1kg / month along with improving my eating habits. I like to check in daily if possible for accountability and enjoy taking part in this supportive community. Welcome back here @jaygirl!

Thank you so much @stitchincarol for leading us forward into the next month.

Day 1, NFD, Aus

Best opening forum message ever @stitchincarol!! All of it rang true with me.

@northgeorgia – don’t wish to be thin this month, BE thin this month!

Welcome @jayegirl – great to see some newbies (or, rather, returnees). We have such wonderfully inspirational and supportive people in this group; it’s a great place to be.

So, me. Married, living in the nation’s capital with OH and two Australian Cattle Dogs. I’m an inherently lazy people (one reason I chose a working breed as they demand action) and will do my FDs Mon and Thurs and I will be dry til Fri (except for fortnightly pub trivia when I have a beer). That’s the plan and I will stick with it. Not so much audaciousness for me this month, but ACTION!

Day 1 – Ireland – CD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅
    Starting numbers : 154.9lbs 🎯

Hi all and thanks so much @stitchincarol for hosting us for Audacious August!! And thank you for that lovely compliment – I’m in a good zone now but like everyone else it’s so so easy to derail but let’s all keep each other focused on our audaciousness this month 🎯 Triple AAA!

I love a new start and am happy to be starting August at my goal weight. It’s only taken a few years 🤣

Throwing in my usual intro in case we have any newbies joining us:

The first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase 😂 since. Sometimes it’s hard to do but you fall off and you just climb back on again… 🧗‍♂️ I’m posting my starting weight here so that I can refer back on August 31.

My name is a little play on words as I am a french speaker so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain…it has always made me smile 😊 but nowI can say “I’m maintaining”…

I’m pretty much staying away from alcohol 🚫 so “on the dry” and have reduced added sugars ✅ as much as I can 😂 but I do love beer and tasting new gins etc so so have a tipple from time to time… I am also aiming to stay gluten free now also.

My firm promise to myself is to have a better second half of this year – stay in goal range and get back to daily exercise… I’m fit but need to be more consistent which helps with health issues and mindset. I have a few habits I needed to build so will continue to focus on those.

@merryapple well done on your whoosh!! You deserve it after all your efforts and thanks again so very much for the encouragement throughout July 💕👏💕

@michelinme I hope your mother had a lovely birthday and was entertained with your account of your visit to the exhibition. It sounds wonderful.

@songbirdme of course it’s South Carolina 👍

@at thank you for the spreadsheet – so great to have you here 💕

@penz you said it! 💪

Ok off to enjoy this new beginning… everything behind is past and exciting to wonder how August will go but… I will maintain 💪

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Yay, starting August with an FD , way to continue for this month of 2 FD’s a week, Dry till Fri, walk every day, get moving further down those scales.

I am 56, been here since 2017, lost 30lbs relatively quickly , change of job to sedentary, then Covid lockdowns, plus menopause, and weight slowly crept back. By staying here I am keeping my focus, even if I am no longer a racehorse for weight loss, and now a member of Club Tortoise 😄

Have a great day all.

Pocket list Day 1
    @daffodil2010

Day 1 – UK – TDEE

As promised I was brave and stepped on the scale this morning……..Result of 60.6k/133.6lbs – a drop of 1.1kg/2.4lbs in the month – I’ll take that after a month full of self sabotage!!!

BUT still 3.6kg/7.9lbs ABOVE my previously easily managed target of 57kg/126lbs so work to do in the Audacious and Achievable August 2023 challenge……..

For any newbies joining us
    I am a 65y.o. female living with my OH, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    I retired in December 2013 and moved to the Lake District – best decision we ever made – OH and I love our new life here!
    In my retirement discovered a love for exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered over 8 years ago and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Pilates, Aerobics and Hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ and in my spare time do some volunteering in my local community
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I was fed up with being overweight and wanted to get fitter! I decided to join the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 with the help of the lovely people here offering great support and advice 🤗
    Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs and have managed to remain in maintenance range until this past year or so when I have struggled and gained an extra 4kgs/8.8lbs – very happy to be seeing a downward trend once more……..although it has been more of a yoyoing so far 🤣

I have a feeling that August will be my month – thanks @stitchincarol for the inspiring introduction and I am definitely banning “try/hope/luck” from my posts and as you say NFDs seem to be the Waterloos for all of us so I am aiming to stay within my TDEE on my NFDs but will allow myself the odd above TDEE NFD in the month

I have my regular hike with my walking group this morning and then we have a BBQ to celebrate a couple’s wedding anniversary so already planning a OMAD lunch within TDEE….

At the host’s requests I have baked a Coffee and Walnut cake (her favourite) and a rich decadent dark chocolate cake (his favourite) with a a rich chocolate ganache in between the layers and also as the frosting covering the cake – it will have to be only the smallest of slices for me…….

My personal motto since reaching maintenance has been “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@at – thanks for the spreadsheet, & thanks again to @stitchincarol for hosting 🙏

David, 61, originally from Manchester, England. Retired, living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining, 69.4 kgs, BMI 21.4. I’ll be reminding myself this month that a NFD does NOT = a feast day 🤐

Wishing everyone an Awesome AA August! 🎯

day 1-No. VA, USA-FD

Joining you all for Audacious August. Yesterday, I fell off the wagon and was run over by one of the wheels , but am climbing back on! Thank you @stichincarol for your motivating words! You are so right that “trying” to “resolve” to do something does not make much sense. After work when I get home is my weakest point of the day. If things have been very busy or stressful, that is when my “resolve” “dissolves”! I may have joined Club Tortoise with @daffodil2010. But you know the cliche, “slow and steady wins the race”

Pocket list day 1:

@daffodil2010
    @excelsior12309

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. I really misbehaved at lunch yesterday. Today, I’ll approach things differently. Although tomorrow is a FD, I probably won’t have lunch today at all and just wait to eat something at home, starting with lots of protein and vegetables. I need to be audacious this month 😉

Day 1 – at convention in Milwaukee

I woke an hour early, so responded to some convention emails from the ease of my laptop, and have just a few minutes remaining to be here on the forum before I have to get dressed and head over.

Thanks for all the compliments on my opening post.

BUT.

Inspiring words have a way of making us content so that we set them aside–knowing we’ve been wonderfully inspired makes us think we’re “good.” Right?

So my challenge for you for these first few days is to internalize my words and thoughts and suggested actions. Really think about them. Make them part of you…and then come up with a plan of action. Some of you have already announced your intentions–but are they serious intentions? Are you committed in a real way, or were your words nothing more than a repeat of what you’ve said at the beginning of every monthly challenge? We each need to put our shoulder behind our stated plan…and perhaps we need a new plan.

Perhaps you’ll come up with one change that you commit to as if the entire world was watching you. Perhaps you’ll do a complete about-face and change everything. But the worst thing you can do–for those of us who need some improved health in our lives, at any rate–is to feel good about that post, and then proceed with status-quo-behavior.

And I’m the guiltiest of all of us of such behavior. To that end, I’m toying with asking DH to hide the scale from me when we get home. For decades, my daily (and often multiple-daily) weigh-ins were a huge part of me behaving and staying thin. Well, I haven’t consistently behaved and stayed thin since 2003, so it’s clearly not working. It’s time for me to judge my behavior by knowing what food I’ve eaten, and seeing what my belly is doing (it’s currently looking like a middle-aged woman’s belly–not pretty). Or perhaps I’ll allow myself a weigh-in on Friday morning, and then not again until the end of the month. I’ll think about that over the next couple of days.

So, again I ask: what can you do that is new, that is a firm expression of your new commitment? @excelsior12309 Can you go in a different door when you get home to change the feeling of “it’s the end of the day”? Can you, perhaps, put in a load of laundry first thing when you walk in the door (or something that is totally out of character for that time of day)? How about if you brush your teeth first thing when you walk in?

Now, everyone else, use those examples, and let us know what new behavior you’re going to take on in order to break previous cycles and truly experience success this month.

Hugs and love to you all; I must go!

Day 1 – USA

Here I am, determined to continue learning from you all and researching for myself about IF and its many benefits. I ate a little “crow” last month boasting about losing 6 lbs in the first 2 weeks, only to gain back 4 of them, lol! That’ll teach me to lay low until a loss is permanent!

Day 1 UK CD

Thanks @stitchincarol for hosting the AA August, and to @merryapple for a jumping July. I’m stepping up to be audacious and achieve this August!

I’m F60 in London, put on weight after stopping smoking, losing capacity with autoimmune neuro health issues affecting mobility/energy and menopause. Started here in Dec 2017 and lost over 40lbs over the next 9 months, maintained for a year or so. Fell off the waggon when a friend died unexpectedly then caught covid Feb 2020, followed by loooooong covid – fatigue, hypertension, neuropathy, POTs, inflammatory arthritis. Came back in 2022 for a little while but lots of stress and comfort eating around family cancer and work situation.

I rejoined the challenge 2 weeks ago weighing 182lb. I have gone back to being vegan, cooking from scratch and logging everything on MFP and have lost 1lb and 0.5″ from my hips. Now i’m restarting other health-affirming choices – earlier bedtime, drinking more water and practicing meditation and yoga for at least 10 mins 3 x / week… Yesterday was a successful FD800 (I needed more protein so ate an apple with peanut butter) today will be a solid CD. I’ll be fasting Mon / Thurs each week, flexing around a couple of events.

One piece of project work to finish and send off so I can be out tomorrow – a couple of useful meetings, lunch and gentle planning with a friend, tea with another friend then community gathering. I will make healthy choices and be home by 8.30pm ready for another earlier night.

@jayegirl welcome back to the challenges

USA. Day 1 NFD

I am still here but not fasting right now. I am busy babysitting my grandson until school starts in September, so I will be in and out but reading all the posts. Hope all is going well with everyone!

Day 2 NFD NZ 85.9kg
    Yes up a wee bit but not unexpected.

Thank you @stitchincarol Food for thought.
    I have a busy day ahead of me and have to get going.
    The rubbish winter weather has returned with avengence.
    Have a good day and get your thinking caps on.

Kia Kaha (stay strong)

Day 2, NFD

Oh oh, I feel like you were peering into my brain @stitchincarol “Are you committed in a real way, or were your words nothing more than a repeat of what you’ve said at the beginning of every monthly challenge?” Yesterday I fell off the same wagon as @excelsior12309 and got hit by the other wheel.

I want to – no wait – I am focusing on listening to my body. My body will say ‘I’m not hungry’ but my brain will say ‘but it’s 11.30! Surely you’re hungry by now. Well I know better so I’ll put food in your mouth.’ Similarly, my body will tell me when it’s full, but my brain will say ‘well I hate wasting food, so just eat up what’s left on your plate, and then you’re done.’ That’s what I will internalise and follow this month. Everything after that will just neatly fall into place.

Day 2 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Like@excelsior12309 I too find the returning home from work and getting dinner ready the hardest…..I tend to snack on slices of ham or a smidge of cheese, but if there is bread (rarely is) it’s popped in the toaster and smothered in butter, or if there are walnuts,nits a small handful, but it’s all calories that are building up while dinner is being cooked.

So thanks @stitchincarol, tonight I will walk in the door and straight upstairs to brush my teeth before venturing into the kitchen 😄 Need to break this after work snack cycle, even on an FD when I know better.

It’s my last day to work today and then I have taken Thursday/Fri off ahead of the bank holiday weekend, so loads of time off. Yay. We plan to head west again in the camper….weather always permitting.

I feel good today, I didn’t realise how unwell I had been feeling over recent weeks until now when I feel back to normal. I must have picked up something, along with the toothache, but after two weeks of feeling crook, I feel good xxx

Have a great Wednesday hump day 🐪

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@stitchincarol – some great thoughts! And so true; we start off each month with mini New Year’s-style resolutions, & by around day 3 – kaput! But as I’m already at goal weight, I’m going with, ‘if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it’. However, I AM resolving to use my evenings more wisely, instead of spending the two or three hours after dinner watching Netflix or YouTube. To misquote an old proverb, “idle hands go looking for munchies”. 😅

No line-dancing this morning, as our teacher is treating us all to brunch instead 😃

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Day 2 – Ireland FD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅

Hi all, so your words resonated hugely with me @stitchincarol! For too long I’ve been happy with myself for “trying …” , for aiming to fast and to hope to see magically see nice numbers reflect on the scales or the clothes for better but knew in my heart of hearts that I was sabotaging myself… hence the switch this year to try identify the habits that need to be formed in order for me to really get where I need to be. Health issues have helped my focus in this regard… and with those new habits and renewed focus I’m seeing small differences.
    A huge breakthrough this weekend and something completely new to me as I have been a “slight binger” all my life is that I opened both a small packet of crisps (potato chips for some ) and a plant chocolate bar on Saturday and only had half of each… I was so proud of myself! They were delicious by the way but I stopped myself 😊 To some this will sound absolutely crazy I know… but for me it is something I have never been able to do!
    Having to cut gluten in my diet and choosing to cut alcohol has meant that other decisions are easier to make now whereas I would never have been able to do this before..

Funny, before I read your post last night @stitchincarol I did something different when I got home… (outdoor exercise) was thrilled with myself. Then read your post.. the universe is aligning 😊

@metatauta – fair play you still lost 2!! New phrase for me: eating a crow 🤣

@michelinme bravo to you and so good to have you back 💕

@ccco busy times but enjoy your little companion 💕

@merryapple a cycling friend in Auckland says there has been zero weeks without rain since Christmas? 🌧️ so bizarre!

@penz I think you are in the right headspace.. I really do 💪

@daffodil2010 I’m glad to hear you are feeling better!

@funshipfreddie enjoy your brunch and you definitely have this 💪

@at August will be your month! You have just had a minor blip ☀️

Ok meetings and doctor visit today so will keep busy and apply myself .

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List Day 2 🐪

@jaifaim

Day 2 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. I wasn’t audacious enough yesterday — I almost made it a FD, but decided to do OMAD in the evening. Only gained a pound, but realizing I might not get out of the 220s this week. Got to get in the determined mindset to drop into the 210s this month.

Pocket List Day 2 🐪
    @jaifaim
    @northgeorgia

Day 2 – UK – FD800

Yesterday I was well below TDEE until unexpected visitors in the evening led to opening some wine……….and my planned TDEE morphed into a definite NFD so today has to be a FD800!

My day started with a strength yoga class followed by a relaxing facial this afternoon……..bliss

Dinner tonight is planned and entered on MFP – a large prawn salad should fill me up and keep me on track

Pocket List Day 2 🐪
    @jaifaim
    @northgeorgia
    @at

Day 2 USA (Illinois) OMAD
    I realized that I never gave an introduction yesterday. I am an old-timer around here (and life) – 75 y.o female, Gwynne, retired music teacher, active children’s museum board member and volunteer, wife, grandmother, and 5:2 blogger since @coda in May 2016. I began 5:2 in March 2016 nearly 200 pounds (90kg) knowing I was going up if I didn’t halt that. A WordsWithFriends Aussie friend I chatted with mentioned 5:2. I bought the book and realized it was a healthy WOL. Got down to 160 lbs (72.5 kg) over 9 months working very judiciously at this regimen with the help of this blog group.

Pretty much have maintained that for 6.5 years. Right now I am closer to 165, though (74.5 kg) so would like to lose just about 5 pounds. At my age, that is a good BMI and not so many wrinkles. My doctor is happy with my health, though!
    @michelinme – always so great to have you with us – hugs to you
    @ccco – pop in any time! You are a great friend here – enjoy your grandma time!
    @penz@stitchincarol does have that knack to “know” us, doesn’t she?!
    @daffodil2010 – tough times of the day do call us to be especially vigilant. I always find the toothbrush and toothpaste a good choice! (That always worked for me when quitting smoking 40+ years ago.)
    @funshipfreddie – know you have enjoyed your dancing!
    @jaifaim – it’s a good thing to recognize when a binge can happy. Good on you.
    @northgeorgia – OMAD often works for me if I don’t really want to do a FD.
    @at – I am finding wine to be a problem for me lately. Good luck to you!
    Onward and downward.

Day 3 FD NZ 85.3kg

It’s 5 degrees this morning in the house so I’m back in bed while I write this…
    @jaifaim It has pretty much rained everyday not week.. Well done on halting yourself midway through treats.
    @metatauta “Eating a crow” was a new one on me too. Humiliation after taking a stand on something then being proved wrong (according to the web)
    @daffadil2010 Lovely to hear you’re back to 💯 %
    @funshipfreddie I kinda like the fresh start nature of monthly challenges
    @penz I hate leaving / wasting food on a plate too. Serve less, come back for seconds if you need to. The conundrum is the time it takes for your brain to register FULL the food is already gone🤣🤣
    I’m avoiding entertaining more than one or two people at the time because dinner party cooking leads to tasting, excess food, temptation and the controls coming off. The house is cold, the weather miserable so it’s not a difficult decision but I will have to work on this. Also I’m so pleased to be losing something I don’t want to rock the boat at the moment. I have lost 7.7kg to date and nobody has noticed! I always say I need to lose 10kg before someone comments…
    My small recent behaviour changes include going to bed earlier – by 10.30p and eating earlier to reduce pre dinner grazing and make sure dinner is well and truely digested before bedtime.

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 3, ??, Aus

Working from home today (which is a treat for both me and the dogs) but as I’m sitting at the kitchen table literally facing the fridge, I don’t think I could do a FD!!

Thanks for the call out @jaifaim, but my head is not in the right space. Not yet.

More focus. More resolve. More do.

Day 2 – 7:12 pm at convention in Milwaukee, just back from supper, on a quick break to put up my feet before we’re on our way to a reception for the new president

I’m having a blast. I actually love conventions and all the “point of order!” and “you’re out of order” and “the chair rules…” and “does the body wish…” But I’m really worn out: waking up at 6am and getting to bed around 10pm and being “on” all hours inbetween is a lot. But, I’m having a blast and am only marginally happy it’s over at noon tomorrow! 😉😂

Hey, @northgeorgia, I’ve been thinking of you, because you and I are in similar positions of having been so stellar and then regaining over the past year. For me, I’m certain it’s a head-space thing–I haven’t been fully committed to this for over a year, and without full commitment, no true success is to be had. For you, I know a lot of it has been the stress that started with the passing of your dad–but I also know our challenge had started many months before then, and neither of us succeeded, and still haven’t. Do you also see your challenge as finding the right head space? What’s going on in your mind set now that wasn’t going on two years ago, when you were steadily losing? Or, more to the point–what was going on then that has since not been going on? I know behavior is a crucial element of success, but I think behavior follows mind set, so I’m curious what thought you’ve given this.

Okay, we must go. This is over at noon tomorrow, but we have an 8hour drive home, so I’m not likely to be posting much until Friday morning. But THEN I’ll be committing to excellent behavior and back on my usual routine.

Have a grand one, everyone!

2nd post

Oh, and @funshipfreddie, I didn’t name you in that earlier post to the committee of those who are marvelously maintaining, but that was a huge oversight because we’re all very aware of your stellar successes, and treasure all the nuggets of advice and wisdom you offer.

Day 3 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 🚶‍♂️ ✅

Quick early check in as have a very busy day ahead with work, appointments and a lunch with some friends home from France.

@stitchincarol enjoy the last day of the conference – it sounds full on but lots of fun 🤩

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Brunch was lovely yesterday. There were 11 of us, & it was great to have a chance to actually chat & socialise with my neighbours. Everyone usually has to rush off after the weekly lesson. Retirees are surprisingly busy 😅

@penz – “…I don’t think I could do a FD!!” That doesn’t sound very audacious?! 😅 ‘Audacious meaning:- Showing a willingness to take surprisingly bold risks’. Seriously, you should try doing a FD at home once in a while. I don’t know how old you are, but if/when you eventually quit work, it will be even tougher to get/stay in shape. That’s how I finished up on this forum🥴️ It might not be as hard as you imagined, so long as you plan in advance & get rid of the temptations first.

@stitchincarol – I don’t envy you that 8 hour drive home! Do you & DH share the driving? Most guys seem to prefer to be at the wheel, but I’m happy to snooze in the passenger seat given half a chance. I can’t ever remember my mom driving if my dad was in the car 😅

@daffodil2010 – enjoy your long weekend trip! 🚙 🏕

It feels like spring has arrived early, as we’re going up to a cosy 26 C for the next 3 days. Mother Nature is such a tease 🌤🌱🌈

Pocket List – Day 3 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie

2nd Post – Day 3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/relationships/article-12366167/I-tell-husband-hes-weight-too.html
    Interesting. Imagine if the genders were reversed though…? 🤔

Day 3 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

On a day off, first one of my gloriously long weekend, luxuriating in the silence of home at the moment, with my feet on a grounding mat, holding my iPad while catching up here, sipping a hot bovril but nothing to eat as yet, relaxing.

I have a dental appointment at 14.15. Any of you who remember, I have an extreme anxiety and phobia for the dentist, stemming from a bad incident 22 years ago and now I suffer claustrophobia and anxiety. .

So all this morning, as this is just an exam to see what caused the toothache, I have been practicing self-Reiki, chanelling strength and confidence, breathing deeply, focussing my mind on the true fact that this trip to the dentist is not a life or death situation, I am strong today, and in a few more hours it will all be over.

Please send your own positive vibes if you can, I would love that.

Have a great day everyone xxxx

3rd Post – Day 3

Oh @daffodil2010 – I know how you feel, & I’m virtually holding your hand 🤝🤗🤗 ‘This too shall pass’. Walking out of the dentist & feeling like you’ve just conquered Everest with a big smile on your face – that’s me every time 😘

Day 3 – UK – NFD

So happy that I managed to stick to my FD800 yesterday as OH is taking me out tonight to one of local restaurants that serve a wonderful taster menu – not been there for while, but a friend who went recently highly recommended 😋 So will definitely be making today a OMAD!!!

@songbirdme – I know that my problem is the same “I am finding wine to be a problem for me lately.”
    @stitchincarol – your post also clarified for me “I’m certain it’s a head-space thing–I haven’t been fully committed to this for over a year, and without full commitment, no true success is to be had”
    @funshipfreddie – great advice to @penz – planning the day in advance and not keeping temptations in the house is what worked in the past for me too……so back to it
    @daffodil2010 – we are with you for your appointment today – positive vibes coming your way

All the above reminded me what I needed to do this month to get back to my happy place
    *Back to Basics
    *2 x FDs each week
    *Not overindulging on NFDs
    *Reduce 🍷🥂 intake

The sun ☀️ is out today after several overcast, wet or drizzly day – that does cheer up the soul 😊

Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. Yeah, looks like no 210s for me this week, but very close this morning.

@stitchincarol So true, and I am trying to figure out what has changed in the past two years other than the added sudden stress, which really only affected the increase in the past few months. My goodness, I didn’t even do 5:2 for a week or two in March, and I was a good 7 lbs lighter than now, keeping the weight off. Something to do with my mindset for sure. I think I have to find a good balance to realistically get back on track. On the one hand, I know that I’m committing errors I may not be fully aware of on NFDs. On the other, the temptation to fast two or three days straight is there, including doing a 4:3 — but I know other than an occasional longer fast, it doesn’t yield any better long-term results, particularly if the NFD mishaps are still there. In other words, the problem lies in the NFD behavior, somewhere! If I can find out where the NFDs are going wrong, then the 5:2 I’ve been doing consistently will become much more effective.

I think I am eating out more on NFDs than I used to. I remember taking a lunch to work, 500 calories on FDs and maybe more on NFDs but certainly nothing like a meal out. In addition, meals out, if fast-food, usually include soft drinks — which come with refills, and there you go. So, that’s likely the primary cause. And honestly, keeping with the “if you’re not hungry, don’t eat” philosophy, it may be easier to just wait until I’m home from work to eat a meal, where I’ll be less likely (during the week) to go out again.

Some other minor things include how I backed away from some basic concepts: eating only at meal-times, not eating past 8 p.m., rejecting sugary or high carb “treats” for something more satisfying. I have removed most temptations from home, but now I’m sneakily eating and drinking the same stuff outside of the house. Bad! It wouldn’t hurt to get a bit more exercise, too. I need to stop thinking about food passively on NFDs and treat it more strictly, at least on days during the week, whenever possible.

I really don’t think I’m eating any differently on NFDs as I did several years ago, but oh how things sneak back in. I’m sure the calorie count has gone up due to some of my choices. Time to get serious about saying no to that soft drink more often, skipping that meal out, or simply brushing my teeth by 8:00. I’m supposed to be setting a good example!

Day 4 NFD Auckland

I didn’t have such a great evening. I started cooking muesli at 9pm because I had run out. Next minute I had filled up a bowl with hot crunchy muesli and milk… I only had one but it was way past my eating schedule and it was after a FD meal of fish and a warm salad of Lima beans and greens. It just goes to show how fragile my control is/can be.
    @daffodil2010 I hope you got through your dental visit without too much psychic or fiscal pain…
    @northgeorgia There is eating out and eating out… If it’s cheap bulky food with refills you know it should be at the bottom of your list. How about making a weekly chart of where you eat or who’s making your food?
    @penz My Westie doesn’t like FDs. He misses getting his morning toast crust. Lunch is a sharing meal as well…

Steely Resolve to me and everyone else!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 267 total)

You must be logged in to reply.