Are You 'Stuck' Too?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hello you long-term 5:2 dieters!

Has anyone else had a “lull” in their regime?

Is this a “normal” phase of adjustment for the body?

What did you do to make your metabolism pick up the pace again?

I am now starting my 8th week in this nutrition lifestyle, and I was beginning to have my doubts over it’s long-range effectiveness. The reason being was that I had ZERO WEIGHT LOSS over Week 6. I kept losing a few inches, but the weight was still hanging in there.

Then I read about TDEE, and I thought, “Oh, no! You’ve got to count calories again?

I thought this was all about ‘you can eat what you want on feed days’ and ‘you never-ever have to count calories’!”

Well, I didn’t want to get out the food scale again. I really hate the idea of measuring everything I eat because it reminds me that I’m being restricted, and that 5:2 isn’t much different than the “Eat Half of Everything” diet plans of millions of conventional diets which had all failed me in the past.

I was still stuck, despite that I am doing 4:3 and eating zero calories on my fast days, and that’s really frustrating. I don’t want to count calories, and I found it very unfair that I lost 11 lbs in the very first week, and ever since then it’s been very little until Week 6, where my body seemed to be telling me, “I’ll be damned if I’m going to shed so much as another single ounce!”

So I thought about what had changed. Was I really eating more? Not really. Was I loading up on sweets? No, if anything I’d cut back.

Was I still exercising? No. It felt too cold. I was getting muscle cramps from the temperature differences.

So, I went back to increasing the amount of exercise from “sedentary” to “very active”. I went from no exercise to walking 8-10 km per day. It wasn’t hard to do, because I’d been walking those distances off and on some time now, and walking didn’t really do as much for my weight problem as it did to reduce my blood pressure. (Yeah! I don’t have to take meds for blood pressure!)

Lo, and behold in Week 7 I lost another kilo. Total weight loss after 7 Weeks of 4:3, with no (or less than 100 kcal) intake on fast days: 10 kilos (22 lbs) weight loss. BMI from 36.3 to 33.2.

well done you!! 😉

Ugggghhhh, I just hit a plateau week, and I want to cry. I did work out though, and hard. I did everything right. Really bummed. I know this is when it’s hard and I just have to keep working out and keep with the plan. Perhaps next weeks loss will be better. Still REALLY SAD. 🙁

oh Newbiefaster78!

just replied to your other post lol, don’t be sad hun, as you have been working out it may simply be muscle gain don’t beat yourself too much about it!!!

hang in there, or the wet fish will come out, you’ve been warned lady 🙂

@angie090465 – Thanks for the flowers. 🙂

@newbiefaster78 – I keep my measurements – hips, waist, breast, bicep, calf, thigh, belly and neck. As long as I keep losing volume I don’t get that frusted at that zero loss week. I’m beginning to wonder, though, if it’s a “body survival strategy”. You know… where your body instinctively clings to every fat cell to slow down the “starvation” process, until it “gives up and surrenders the fat”.

Under the FAQ they recommend that you “fast every other day” if your body “goes on strike” to help make your metabolism “make the right decision”.

Under FAQ here on this website:

“If you want to lose weight faster, or have hit a plateau with the 4:3 Fast, then you might consider doing Alternate Day Fasting. As the name implies, with ADF you cut your calories to ¼ of their normal level (ie 500 for women, 600 for men), every other day. On your non-fast days you eat normally, though in some trials of ADF the volunteers were allowed to eat what they wanted and still lost weight. Studies on people doing ADF have shown that, on average, they tend to lose around 2lbs a week, most of it fat.”

I simply slacked off on exercise, and now I picked it up again. That let me “win” another kilo in Week 7

@weissdorn
    “I thought this was all about ‘you can eat what you want on feed days’ ” … yes you can eat WHAT you want but not HOW MUCH you want!

xx

I hit the plateau from week 1 🙁 Though as I’ve lost inches I know something is happening. I may do 4:3 for a couple of weeks just to give things a little kick along.

Don’t stop arla! Ur doing good! I found I was eating too much quantity on my non fast days in the very beginning (try eating your goal weight tdee). After a few fasts (I think it was 7?) I found I didn’t want large quantities of food and sweets. The fasting took away my need to gorge. The only time I found I would overeat after that was in front of the TV(because I wasnt being mindful-I was mindlessly munching and crunching)I now make it a point to not eat in front of the TV. Hope some of that helps!
    xxx

I know all about BMR & TDEE – and have tracked what I’m eating on non-fast days. We are all different and I’m in the atypical end of things most of the time. I must be the only person to (back in the late 80s) spend 4 weeks on meal replacement shakes and lose zero lb. Not even a quarter.

Also last year while I was waiting for gallbladder surgery, I literally could only eat steamed fish, pickles and berries/stone fruit. I only lost 3kg in 5 months of that, and my metabolism has been shot ever since. I’m hoping the variety of fast, non-fast, and rare feast days will shake it up so that it gets back to normal.

Hi:

The average weight loss on 5:2 is a little under 1 pound a week. With 4:3, it is just slightly more. You have lost over three pounds a week for 7 weeks.

I would guess a little lull is in order!

Good Luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.